Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions, Inc.

Toshiba Global Commerce Solutions, Inc. Employee Reviews

management old guard from ibm HW days
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCFebruary 21, 2018
Carry over from IBM (RSS).
2 distinct areas (HW) and (SW).
1st line mgt was terrible. All about who likes who.
Assumed my job performance was good enough to keep me there. I was wrong. Mgt plays games with office politics.

In 5 years working, only had 1 skip level (one on one with next level of mgt).
benefits
Cons
management was toxic
Bad long term job
Service Technician 1 (Former Employee) –  OregonFebruary 3, 2018
A field tech position is probably good for a tech starting out in IT. However not something you want to make long term if you can even handle the management.

Possibility of raise 0%. Promotion maybe 3% if everyone above you retires and you are the only one left unless they hire from outside. You can meet some cool people but the higher ups really don't care about you. They will work you to the bone and only say something if you mess up.

If you love driving 6+ hours daily only to be yelled at for being late then this job is just right for you. Make a tiny mistake after being perfect for months, get yelled at. Perfect place.
Cons
stressful, poor management, understaffed
This place is a mess!
Rollout Help Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 20, 2018
Pair poor practices and management with no idea what's going on, or basic industry practices and you have TGCS. They don't appreciate or reward knowledge, skills, or hardwork.
Pros
8 hr day
Cons
8 hr day
I loved everyone!!!
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARJanuary 13, 2018
I'm 21, when I worked here nobody treated me different. I was an equal in every sense of the word. Pam G. Is almost magical. Apply here for a good year.
Pros
Best boss, open people, helpful, insightful, 1 hour lunch.
Cons
Some solid solution offerings, but troubled corporate management
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2017
There are many good people that work at Toshiba, but the company continues to suffer due to the mismanagement of the overall business portfolio, as evidenced by the recent departure of the CEO.
IT Project Manager (Former Employee) –  RTP, NCDecember 3, 2015
Professional organization. Agile environment with highly skilled employees.
Project Management with focus on teams and high productivity.
Good management
Pros
Great culture
Cons
Fine if you want to be a worker drone
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCNovember 23, 2015
I did not care for this job at all. Old technology, old compiler, old debugger -- wholly uninspiring. Management has an over-inflated view of themselves as an organization and the value this job is to employees, like you're privileged to be a part of their elite organization. In truth you are working on legacy code that's over engineered to be as far from the KISS principle as possible. Major over hall needed but that's out of the question.

New, exciting and challenging? Not on your life.
Cons
Layoffs Looming!!!!
Good place to work. Lots of OT.
Service Rep II (Former Employee) –  IndianaNovember 3, 2015
The workload is heavy and there is plenty of potential for overtime. The company is aggressively seeking new business in order to expand.
Excellent People, Diverse Culture, Great place to work
BIOS Engineer (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCSeptember 21, 2015
Excellent group of people to work with. In my particular position I got to interact with several different groups (Support, Test, Development) and was very impressed by the level of professionalism . The hardest part of my job was leaving when my contract was up. I wish them well.
Pros
Good People
Cons
Company is currently going through some lay-offs
Productive work environment
Project Administrator/ Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  RTP, NCSeptember 16, 2015
I currently support the Human Resources and Global Operations Departments. My typical day is usually setting up meetings, managing calendars, corresponding to emails, processing Purchase Orders through Oracle, and assisting with coordinating Human Resources projects.
ITTS IBM'er Name changed on door
IT Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bentonville, ARSeptember 2, 2015
I was always performing as level 2 liaison to the client team and the client, as well as all supporting teams and development teams. I enjoyed the high pace work life that provided me with a rewarding personal life as well.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Long hours /Worked many holiday hours
Productive Place to work there was an awsome work life balance offered!!
Maintenance Sales Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCAugust 25, 2015
This was a great company to work for they allowed you to be yourself and understood that you have a life outside of the "9-5" you clock in for each day.
Long hours away from home and no pay raises or bonuses in 7 years
Systems Service Representative (Current Employee) –  RTP, NCAugust 17, 2015
Travel out of town or work in my geographic area daily. No time at home with family. No pay raise or bonuses in 7years. Management doesn't care about employees and treats everyone like trash.
Pros
Travel around the country
Cons
Pay and benefits
Start up - No Shared Services Experience in Mgmt
Director of Global Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMay 17, 2015
Management refuses to take the employees with experience in Shared Services seriously. Did not pay for many functionalities that are required for ERP implementation of this size. Does not appreciate or support the managers with experience.
Pros
Very good accounting group
Cons
Controlling, Micro Managment, Mgmt does not want to listen to suggestions. You are expected to work 12, 13, 14 hours per day, pay for your own cell service - so you can be available when needed, can't take vacation without constant phone calls.
Learned a lot and saw a lot working at TGCS
Client Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCApril 27, 2015
50% work from home 50% Travel. Troubleshooting customer issues and before the sales work.
Learned new Point of Sale software products and Point of Sale equipment. Boss was great, however new upper management pointed our group in a different direction which phased some of us out.
The people within the company were great to work with. Always willing to help.
Hardest part was a lot of back to back travel.
Most enjoyable part was meeting major account customers.
Pros
Met a lot of great people and learned a lot.
Cons
Being phased out
Everyone here is friendly
Software Consultant (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCApril 6, 2015
My work day will involve customize our Point Of Sales systems to work for our customers, documenting new functionality, and fixing defects. I have learned how Point Of Sales systems work and how to configure them. The hardest part of my job customizing lane code and understanding how the custom interface works. Most of this information is not documented. What I enjoy most is the people I work with. Everyone here is friendly even when working with difficult customers.
Pros
Hours are flexible
Cons
Work with old technology.
Old IBM culture, but there is room for growth and potential advancement
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Durham, NCJuly 29, 2014
- still trying to define their culture but they were bought from IBM and the IBM culture followed.
- BA work is reactive in nature. You may travel a ton and be extremely busy followed by weeks of down time.
- BA role is new here and they're still trying to define what the BA role is.
- New products, clients, and company so lots of opportunity to get in through the front door. The lack of direction and processes can be a pain but the right person can come in and affect change.
Pros
Ground floor opportunity
Cons
Management and direction leaves a bit to be desired.
Great people to work with, but many challenges ahead which will require change.
Offering Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJuly 10, 2014
TGCS is a good company with many strong individuals. The knowledge base of the retail market space is unmatched.
It is a former IBM division called Retail Store Solutions that was sold to Toshiba. So there is a very strong IBM culture that is struggling to find it's own identity. Our competitors have latched on to the TGCS change with promises that they may not be able to keep. But the short-term result is that it will damage our business.
Pros
Many intelligent people, Great work ethic, Plenty of flexibility to impact business
Cons
Corporate culture is in flux due to the transition from IBM to Toshiba, Future is unclear due to changing technology