Total Airport Services

Total Airport Services Employer Reviews

Coordinate with other supervisors and managers
Deputy Manager (Current Employee), Newark, NJNovember 5, 2014
Pros: great staff
Cons: healthcare
Abide by and implement all the Station policies and safety procedures of the company.
Employees deserve better motivation.
Cargo service agent (Current Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 30, 2014
Average place to work. Often very stressful because of shortage of staff.
Fast paced
Ground Service Equipment Mechanic (Former Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2014
Most o the repairs were done in open field of aircraft gate so it the weather was either extremely cold or hot and that was probably the hardest part of the job. At the time company was an upstart so it was lacking tools and equipment was old, on the other hand that gave us opportunity to interact with neighboring company personnel.
Needs better management
Cargolux Office Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 7, 2014
 Imports and exports flights handling up to 8 flights in a day (using Microsoft Access to produce suitable forms and labels)
 Answers the phones and emails in a timely manner, professionally concerning import and export shipments and flights (using software: eChamp)
 Accepts and manages import and export documents appropriately
 Attends to pertinent – more... shipments and files away documents for delivered or exported shipments
 Checks the warehouse for inquiries about shipments
 Maintains the office for organization and tidiness – less
Unproductive, hostile/horrible management, no life
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILAugust 17, 2013
Pros: plenty of hours
Cons: everything, and i mean everything, not enough equipment, wands, hours
Unproductive, hostile/horrible management, no life totally agree with other reviews. Saw teh ad on CL, went to apply, as I was filling the application, I was told the manager/supervisor is in a meeting. While handing the application, I was told that manager/supervisor is going to talk to me. "So how did you hear about us?, everything looks good in application, – more... they pay is going to be xyz...." and that was it. No formal interview, totally unorgizned, you can get plenty of hours, but if you have another job, don't expect to go to the other job on time. You will be scheduled to work 12 hours and will keep you for 14 hours. Teamwork is good. plenty of free time to do homeowrk, play games, etc...I highly do not reccomend this place to work for. there is DHS clearance for you - which means you can not leave/enter to even get food from McDonald's, but they (employees) sneak and bypass the DHS (which is scary).
the job itself isnt hard. employees work well with each other. Just horrible place to be - do not go there. Wans are old/broken, no bulb works. A place/comapny not to work for,. – less
Unproductive, hostile/horrible management, no life
Service Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILApril 16, 2013
Pros: its not mcdonald's
Cons: everything. i mean it.
I've worked for Total Airport Services for four years and at first it started out good. It all seems good when you're finally able to land a job that makes more than minimum wage and when managers tell you that you can make "as many hours as you want". I should of known better when I applied and got the job with no interview.

What's so bad about this – more... place? Where to begin?.. Let's start with salary. When I started working here the salary was great and it actually is at first. They start me off at $10/hr and after training (which was a joke) I received an additional $1/h. I start off with probation (everyone does) and once you get out (3 months at the time. Its 4 months now) I made another $1/hr making it a grand total of $12/hr. Sounds good doesn't it? It is but that's as far as you will ever go. I've been here 4 years and the only raise I've gotten since then was a petty 10 cent raise. You might think that it may be because I was a "bad worker" and have bad employee reviews but I can assure you I wasn't and I didn't. This is the case for 90% of all employees here.

Total Airport Services does allot of favoritism. They like to hire relatives and friends to favored managerial positions. I've seen too many hard working employees that have worked here for years get turned down on promotions or positions that were given to managements friends and family.

They also did allot of "selective hiring" shortly after I was hired. When I first started working there everything was normal. But it didn't take along time to see what management was pulling. Total Airport Services started what I believe was "selective hiring". Who were they hiring? People of Polish origin or background. For a long time new hires were only Polish people. Is it a coincidence that at that time this place just received a new manager who was also Polish? Keep in mind I'm not a racist person. I believe in equal employment rights and frankly I don't care where you come from just as long as you can get the job done. But this company has portrayed a huge amount of favoritism with polish people. Don't believe me? You can ask anyone who currently works there. You had to be Polish to get a promotion or even a job at one point. I've been there for 4 years and didn't get a promotion. I've even trained a person, who was Polish, and that person received a promotion not long after. That sure made me happy (sarcasm). They've kinda toned down on this favoritism a bit. But you can still find it there. All you have to do is look at their management. Go into their office building and just look around. I'd say about 95% of people in the offices there are Polish; General Manager, Manager, Accountants, even the HR person is Polish. When I first started working here the office had a great mix of Blacks, Whites, Hispanics, and even Asians. And now its just Polish.

Keep in mind that I'm not racist towards anyone Polish. In fact I've made a few Polish friends there. But what Total Airport Services has done is unacceptable.

Keeping away from favoritism and more into the job, things are just bad here. The training is a joke. They stick you into a classroom first, then they just throw you out there. You only use 20% of what you learned. Then they stick you to someone who works there and make that person teach you everything they know. Supervisors and leads don't even help teach. You'd think they do but they don't. Instead they stick you so someone who is angry at the fact that they have to do 2 things at once which is their job and training you which in fact causes flight delays and is a safety risk.

Once you're fully trained the supervisor will stick you to a permanent duty. You would think that they would alternate your duties but they don't. In fact this is what they supposed to do but supervisors don't really care how you handle the flight (this is an airport aircraft service job) just as long as you get it done. Usually they stick the new people handling grunt work (drive, pickup freight, drop it off) while the more experienced people do more complex things. Supervisors like to stick you where you do best so if the only thing you can do is throw heavy "bulk" boxes then that's what you'll be doing for a long time.

They say safety is their top priority. I'd laugh every time they say that. The equipment/machinery they give you is in bad to horrible shape. You have to work with the equipment and machinery because it will certainly not work with you. Which is hard to do sometimes when you are 50 feet in the air while a snowstorm or thunderstorm is hitting you. Oh and nothing will be blocking you from the rain, snow, or even hail because its wide open (I'm talking about the loader). If you're scared of heights, this job isn't for you. Even if you're not working the loader, you still have to work outside no matter what the weather conditions are. The airport has these beacon lights that tell you that the airport is experiencing hazardous weather and that any and all work production needs to come a stop. Legally you don't have to work in that weather condition if you don't want to. But managers and supervisors often don't care. They make you keep working so that the flight wont catch a delay. This should tell you how much this place values their employees.

Remember what i said about managers telling you that you can make as much hours as you can? Well that's really bending the truth there. Depending on which flights come in and if there's allot going on or not, you'll either make allot of hours or barely some at all. Most of the time it isn't your choice. There has been so many situations where I've done over 12 hours of work an just as I am about to leave a manager would come up to me and tell me that I have to stay to do service another plane. They say its "mandatory". Before this job, the last time I heard or even told that I was "mandatory" to do something was in High School. And even then it was more of an option. Not here. You either do it or they give you "points". 7 of them an you can get fired.

Which is another thing. The environment that Total Airport Services gives is that employees hate coming to work. I wonder why? Everything you do, every mistake you make can give you a "point" (again 7 of them can get you fired). Even if you call in sick and are legitimately sick, you can get a point. Even you you have sick days/hours to use. So now you may not be able to afford to be sick. You can loose your job just by being sick. I find it outrageous that if something happens like you made a mistake on something, or forgot to do something by accident that there are repercussions but when management makes a mistake; when they are hours missing from my check, when I come into work and am told to go home there is no repercussions for management. It is almost impossible to get your 4 hours that you are legally required to get if you come into work and they say that they made a mistake and that they "don't need you" that day.

There's so much more I can add that'll tell you that this is the worst place to work at (like health insurance cost, more safety risks, management etc.) but you may already get the point. Yes this is a job and you have to do what you can to get by. But trust me, people who work here will tell you that they would find something else if they can. I sure did. It was a great experience but I will certainly NEVER come back. The only thing that can make this place better for employees is if they unionize. I say this because the way this place is runs the ramp agent employees job is only going to get worse and worse with more duties and lower pay all while the managers receive their raises and bonuses.

Bottom line, don't work here. If you like to work here or already are, form a union. Its the only way things will be better for ramp service agent employees. – less
Fun place to work
Ramp Agent (Former Employee), Chicago, ILFebruary 26, 2013
You work as a team supervisors take care of employees. You are responsible for your own work and sometimes help others when they are behind.
Total Airport Services is horrible place with incompetent management.
Ramp Sup (Current Employee), Chicago O'HareDecember 20, 2012
Pros: nobody knows what is going on
Cons: tas
You never know how many hours you are going to work and when. The management is horrible and clueless most of the time at running this place. All they do is sit around and pretend like they know what they are doing. None of them have any real management experience or education in any type of management. They are rump agents promoted to management due – more... to lack of real candidates! Ask them how to plan a budget or what strategic planning is, and they will be stunned by your question! Their ground handling equipment is one of the oldest at O’Hare. It constantly breaks down, and causes delays on flights!!! Get some new equipment and STOP buying junk from out of state!! – less
Inconsistant Work Flow
Lead Agent (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJune 15, 2012
Cons: healthcare is sky high
Came in with knowledge of what's going on.
No new training, no job advancement, Hours can be cut at any time
Very freindly work place
Office Supervisor (Former Employee), Newark NJMay 24, 2012
My typical day consited of checking emails and addressing any issues we had the previous week. Also getting the daily flights paperwork and freight out on time. I worked there for 6 years and learned something new every day.