Total Wine & More Employee Reviews in United States

Tough but often satisfying customer service role
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 17, 2016
Though the hours can be very demanding, the customer service field has it's own rewards. You develop a relationship with your customers as you work together to determine their needs and requirements in the store. Working with wine and beer isn't known for being anything less than fun, but at times, the customer service aspect can be stressful.

It is not uncommon for an employee to have 10+ hour shifts with minimal breaks, which for many can be a serious drawback. I tend to enjoy working busily and straight through shifts. The busier the better!
Pros
Opportunity for Advancement if willing to locate, Excellent benefits
Cons
Short breaks, Long hours, Sometimes stressful customer service interaction
worst job I have ever had
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Claymont, DEJuly 2, 2016
If you want to be over worked under payed have no work life balance then work at total.Worst bosses I have ever dealt with. No wine/industry experience with management team but they will lecture you on selling wine. For any wine professional it's just too much to deal with.
Cons
bosses, low pay, no time off, long hours, selling their bad home brand of wine, bosses have no wine knowledge
Definitely has its ups and down
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Town and Country, MOJune 22, 2016
I recently worked for this company & I must say it was a bit different. There are way too many managers working under one roof and they tend to not pay much attention to the employees. I felt working here my opinion was not important unless it made the store money. They constantly scheduled me to close and when asked why, they'd say "some employees just need to do better." Not very manger like if you'd ask me. I just did not feel like I was a part of the store. There is some good that came out of being there however. We got free cases of wine, always tried new product , & during the holidays the free lunch was awesome. Besides that the customers were amazing and they made the job worth it at the time.
Pros
Customers, food, and self satisfaction
Cons
Always felt belittled, & they do not consider your life outside of work unless you're a manager
Customers and co workers are friendly
FETM (Current Employee) –  Manchester, MOMay 24, 2016
I love the people I work with. I get satisfaction on helping customers. My days are long and not a good job for someone who has a family and kids. No set schedules, and the schedules don't come out early enough to make plans with family. Work every holiday with the exception of Christmas. Under staffed and over worked.
Pros
educational
Cons
10 hour days on your feet
Fun place to work
Wine Sales, Spirit Sales (Former Employee) –  Plano, TXMay 5, 2016
Very fun work place if you like people and want to develop sales skills and a deep knowledge of wine and spirits. Previous industry and products knowledge is not required - but a passion to work is. The education is the best I've seen. Perfect for second job. Does require lifting cases of product a lot.
Pros
Tons of education
Cons
Lifting cases and searching for restock product
Wine Service Team Member
Customer Service Rep./ Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Brookhaven, GAApril 7, 2016
In my opinion Total Wine this is the ideal working environment from all aspects. This company provides the ideal level of product knowledge and training to all employees. Throughout my employment here I have learned a wide range of information. Including the processes involved in the production, manufacturing, and distribution of wine & Beer.
fun work place
Front End Team Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJune 2, 2016
work was very fast-paced at times, but a very comfortable environment to be a part of . enjoyed being a part of this team.
sometimes there were rude employees, and that may be the hardest part of the job. big orders are challenging, but possible.
Pros
free lunches, great discount
Cons
fast paced, missed some breaks
Productive and Fun Environment
Front End Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTJuly 6, 2016
Working for Total Wine is an opportunity to make connections with people who have extensive knowledge on both leadership and the products they sell. While challenges can include meeting deadlines and anticipating issues, they are more than achievable with a successful team.
Fun And social envormiment
Wine/Sprits Associate (Former Employee) –  Tustin, CAMay 4, 2016
Total wine is a Hub for tastings planning and hard work.
Taking care of the customers is our number 1 Goal, with keeping product on the shelves and being knowledgeable about the product. Plus having recommendations for new ideas, so customer will have other options.
great place to broaden your knowledge on wines and spirits
Manager (Current Employee) –  Palm Beach Gardens, FLApril 22, 2016
you get rotated departments so that you can learn every area of the building
schedules made 2+ weeks in advance
great continuing education
focus on the customer experience
Pros
great discounts on wine, great drink education
Cons
new company growing very fast
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLApril 26, 2016
I love this job. It is a fun place to work and you feel as though the company truly cares about you as an employee. The management staff is wonderful in helping you advance and teaching you something new everyday. The company really treats you right.
Don't be fooled
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 14, 2016
Total wine is a great concept new market in mo. Extremely reasonable prices and a great customer base.... But as far as the job it's self not so much the schedule is weekly and usually put up on Friday so you have no time to plan any other activities than WORK they ask you to come in early or stay late and show no appreciation! Basically if you aren't friends with management you will not get anywhere in this company! Breaks are slim to none 30min and back to work when your working a 10 hour shift.
Pros
Free lunches at busy times, wine tasting
Cons
Short breaks, no advancement, no life, horrible management
Awful
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMarch 20, 2016
If you have any background in wine sales it is soul crushing. You can actually be punished for selling any product not part of their wine club. Also, they enforce illegal practices concerning breaks. I got lectured about stepping away to use the rest room in a 6 hour shift with no breaks.
Cons
long hours, medium pay, MIS issues
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Gilbert, AZMay 21, 2016
long hours on your feet, pay is above average for retail, no commission, floors are hard and hurt your back. training is good and staff is supportive
Pros
great discounts, great knowledge base
Cons
short breaks, punishing hours
Laborious and humiliating work for minimum wage
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 8, 2016
This company is a constant reminder of why people hate big business. These are the things to consider, which you should carefully and consciously focus on if you have any type of financial responsibilities. Low wages, minimum hours, and a dysfunctional team environment. Now, If that sounds like something you're willing to play against the odds, you're a perfect fit! Performance means nothing and employees are not the emphasis of the infrastructure. Unless you're desperate and you're really in a financial constraint, RUN! Don't walk, RUN!
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Read the review
Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXJanuary 4, 2016
I look at the manager binder to see what they need me to do for the day. Go into receiving to see if it needs to be cleaned. Help wine associates with pull list to see what needs to be restocked. One of the best things I learned was having a better understanding of wines, allowing me to assist customers and make recommendations. The hardest part of the job is unloading the truck with no help. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping and meeting customers in the store from all over the world.
Pros
Free snacks provided by managers when store is really busy and once in awhile free lunches.
Cons
Short breaks, not having a set schedule
Selling wine gave me self satisfaction
Hired for Seasonal Help (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, MOJanuary 11, 2016
This was a great job. Interaction with the public and selling something I know about. Management and co-workers were easy to work with. There really was nothing difficult about this job. It was interesting, fun and made me happy to sell product I know people enjoy. Being able to make recommendations for people needing assistance was self satisfaction.
Experience
Benefits Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Bethesda, MDApril 20, 2016
I greatly enjoyed working with my coworkers. My team was very supportive and we all helped each other. We made light of what would normally be very stressful situations by supporting each other.
Pros
coworkers
Cons
job security
Total wine Fort Lauderdale
Everything (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLDecember 29, 2015
Great place to work if you have no life! Because the managers are extremely nice at first or when you are slaving away for them. Honestly you get stuck being there, by the time you turn around its six years later and you only had a raise of like two dollars it's a shame. They will tell you they understand your school schedule and work around it but they don't and if they do they will make you work the worst all day hours ever. The work isn't hard but with the gossiping team members and the complex that most the managers have that they are your master or parent it's quite ridiculous not to mention them always looking over your shoulder if you're desperate for a job sure go ahead, but if you want a real job stay away!!!!
Pros
Free lunches sometimes and good benefits and you try wine
Cons
Rude managers, horrible hours, work you to death
Fun, educational, great relationships
Floor Worker/ Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDDecember 15, 2015
When I go in to Total Wine everyone from the top to bottom has a positive attitude and are willing to help. Management is very lenient and willing to teach with great attitudes and appreciate there staff. The hardest part is getting enough work especially during certain times of the year, but the positives is the knowledge you gain.
Pros
The knowlege you gain in that feild
Cons
Advancing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8