Total Wine & More Employee Reviews

This was a temporary Christmas 2012 position
Front End Team Member (Former Employee) –  Huntersville, NCNovember 16, 2017
Day was pleasant
Heavy load of physical work for a cashier position
As a cashier the manager expected the cashiers to clean
bathroom and trash bins
I ended up having to load grocery carts outside
Heavy volume of work moving cases of beer and wine through belt at cashier counter
Manager expected me to be on a ladder 30 feet in air loading boxes on shelves, when she knew I did not have medical insurance.
Pros
It was pleasant working with people and helping them with billing transactions at cashier counter
Cons
The manager I had was not considerate of safety for someone with no insurance.
productive work place
Spirits Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 16, 2017
sold and managed the liquor department, merchandised aisle. stock freight liquor bottles. had to meet sales quota. maintained aisle to company standards
Pros
relaxed enviorment
Cons
meet sales quota
GREAT training, very bad management
Wine and Craft Beer Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VANovember 16, 2017
Don't get me wrong, I LOVED my job at Total Wine, but sometimes you quit a job and sometimes you quit a boss. I learned SO MUCH about wine and craft beers, and I would not trade that training for the world... I only wish the managers were more professional and the toxic work environment they create make the job unbearable. Gossip, demeaning verbiage, and unfair treatment (playing favorites) were the normal practice of management. Such a shame, because it would have otherwise been the best job I've ever had.
Pros
Training, discounts.
Cons
Management, very low pay.
Love my customers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 14, 2017
Balance till before start of work, cashier, keep area clean all day, answer phones, stock product on floor, offer new products, sign up new members, balance till at end of day and prepare the deposit.
Pros
Company supplies lunch on weekends
Cons
only a 10 min break
Total Slavery & More
Supervisor Assistant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaNovember 8, 2017
Stressful micro management style that demeans all other assistant managers as well as entire staff. .. false sense of team effort as most are over worked already while others that are lazy with no work erihic are allowed to weigh down everyone else. Unrealistic expectations put on team to accomplish overloaded tasks in a short time frame , but still have to attend to all customers. Terrible tracking of inventory and merchandising making it impossible to locate items. Physical demands that would make monkeys go crazy !
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Hours worked, management style, stressful environment, trickle down negativity from the top down
Great
Cashier/Wine Team Member (Former Employee) –  Springfield, VANovember 5, 2017
I had a wonderful experience - coworkers were like family. Great pay, benefits. I have no complaints about my experience working for the company. I would work there again, if I had the opportunity. I now live in a city with no Total Wine stores.
It was wonderful working for Total WIne
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLNovember 2, 2017
I really enjoyed working for Total Wine. They were very helpful and always ensured a great company culture. One thing I can say about this company is that the managers were always a pleasure to work with.
great workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Union, NJNovember 1, 2017
get place to work and many opportunities to advance,friendly environment, great people to work with ,management it good too
safe place to work
most enjoyable part is the wine tasting and selling the wine
Pros
the provide food for you just because or the workers will cook for the whole team
Cons
sometimes couldnt clock out on time
Productive, good place to work
Warehouse/Transfers (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 1, 2017
Lots to do, learn about different products.
Can get busy and makes day go faster.
Transfers shipping is good to do, Not overly difficult.

Standing 8 hours can be hard and tiring
Friendly enjoyable atmosphere, good discounts, many knowledgable people to learn from
Great Store Mgmt./Incompetent Upper Mgmt
Wine Associate (Former Employee) –  Bay Area, CANovember 1, 2017
They hire non-industry people in upper management with six-figure incomes who know nothing about the wine, craft beer or spirits industry. They assume if you can manage a Wal-Mart or Home Depot, you can manage a wine store. The in-store managers are nice, but their regional managers are grade-A morons.
They are slow to promote from within and would rather hire someone who managed a Foot Locker than move someone with actual industry knowledge into a leadership role.
Benefits are wonderful. Pay is poor unless you're a manager.
They treat wine like a commodity. There's no genuine passion for the product, half of which are labels they buy with exclusive control on and they get for pennies on the dollar and mark up a ton. It's just a commodity to them. They might as well be selling widgets.
Benefits
Cons
No hope to advance. They hire managers from outside the industry.
Fast and busy pasted
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCOctober 30, 2017
Standing on your for long periods of time, 30 minute break. I would not recommend for anyone. Pay is very low for the amount of work that you do. Management needs alot of work.
Cons
30 Minute lunch breaks
Great people
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Greenville, SCOctober 27, 2017
Work for total a number of years and it has been at the end of day a great place to work even though it may be stressful at time. I have made some great friends here.
Pros
Free lunches during holiday season
Cons
Communication
Good location.
Taste Tester-cashier/bagger (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 27, 2017
Cashiers also bagged purchases; some intoxicated customers entered store and cashiers had to contact manager; store always busy; all cashiers promoted membership card.
Pros
Part time pay supplement to my teaching career.
Cons
Faced paced, liquors & spirits glass breakage expected.
You have to be a iron man ever day.
Merchandise Associate (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaOctober 25, 2017
Got a merch job not true it was a freight job. I was not there long the job was not the job I said yes too. They need a night crew and there organization was terrible if they new how to properly move weight it would be better. I was expected too move up too 12,000 lbs a day by hand way more then I was told and way more then should be the normal for anyone. For the money there are way better jobs. They need a big back room not stack a mile high on top of the rack super dangerous one bad move and yes big injury. For being a billion dollar company needs so big time help but greed is greed.
Pros
Cool customers
Cons
Not enough staff, lifting way to much weight
Total Wine
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAOctober 24, 2017
Total Wine is a fun job! They are great teachers, and there will a lot of learning. Where the product comes from, who makes it, etc... You pour beer at the growler station. They try to teach you most stations around the store, which is nice if somebody calls out. It's a job worth seeking out and trying out!!
Horrible
Front End Team Member (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXOctober 16, 2017
Worst place I have ever worked. Management is horrible and always yells at you. They expect you to know everything with NO training. Bad pay and no chance to ever move up in the company.
Pros
Some discounts on wine/liquor
Cons
No set shifts. always working late. 30 mins lunch break
Workload is stressful
Assistant Store Manager, Human Resource Captain (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 15, 2017
A typical work day is very busy. Always trying to satisfy as many customers as possible while still trying to set aside time to complete necessary duties/functions. There is a slow process for internal promotions.
Pros
Wine trips, benefits, perks
Cons
pay
Was not the right fit for me
Sr. Manager (Current Employee) –  Bethesda, MDOctober 11, 2017
Executives have their own agendas that are personally motivated. They can get away with treating people with complete disrespect. HR is a toothless kitten that will not help you drive change.
Pros
Loved my coworkers and the projects I got to work on.
Cons
Work life balance, no increase for promotion, abusive executives
Easy place to work
Wine Associate (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WashingtonOctober 5, 2017
Great company to work for, good benefits, pay could be better considering most people are working in more than one position in the store. The management is pretty good most of the time. The only things are that it is retail so you pretty much have no social life and you can't plan for anything because your hours are never the same. They won't fire people even if they are dead weight because they don't want to have to go through more training for new employees.
Pros
Discounts, flexible, good management.
Cons
Short breaks, competitive, no social life.
It was fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 4, 2017
Loved the people I worked with
& Loved the customers they where amazing if I could go back to Total Wine I would I miss my customers and co workers !

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Total Wine & More. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9