Total Wine & More

Total Wine & More Employer Reviews

Good on paper. Bad reality
specialist (Current Employee), Potomac MdMarch 21, 2015
Pros: good pay. wine education.
Cons: management. hr policies, work life balance
This company is great if you are one of the owners but for middle management and down at the corporate office it's a different story. The work is not hard, but is never ending. Rules are made up as they go with most decisions made in secret. The office culture is toxic and breeds mistrust on all levels.

If you can deal with a less than ideal work culture the pay is great.
Great life Experence
Sells Associate/ Merchandiser (Former Employee), North Miami Beach, FLFebruary 25, 2015
Pros: great atomsphere
Cons: very few breaks
Working for Duffy's Sports Grill was a really good experience learned a lot about the restaurant business. A typical day was spent delivering food to costumers tables and providing them with excellent customer service .
Growing retailer, strong business model, weak culture
Not going to disclose (Current Employee), Potomac, MDFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: wine for life. there are some top notch mid & upper managers. if you play the game right, advancements can be fast and lucrative.
Cons: entrenched and inflexible managers. 45 hour work week translates to 50. occasionally toxic
The growth rate here is tremendous. Revenue has continued to grow at over 10% annually as well as expanding brick and mortar locations. Ive learned a lot of fantastic skills here, when I started I could only do excel data entry and color cells. I was also naive and susceptible to bullying and manipulation. Now I can write VBA script, have a growing understanding of Access and fundamentals of SQL, and can do some high end analytical work. I also learned how not to get bowled over by strong armed managers, how to handle manipulative coworkers and generally play office politics in an occasionally toxic environment with not just your rep but career on the line.
Unhappy work environment
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 1, 2015
Lack of respect for others from upper management. Upper management will not acknowledge store managers opinions or advice.
Productive and fun place to learn all about wine.
Merchandiser (Former Employee), Alexandria, VADecember 10, 2014
Pros: long hours, good pay, friendly environment
Cons: 30min lunch, work before the sun rises
This is one of my favorite jobs to work at. Highest paying job i ever had and they were not stingy with store hours to work. I loved being a merchandiser. The environment was excellent and refreshing. It was quite a friendly place to work at, I felt free to move about with out any strict rulings. I was allowed to work at my own pace, which people love to do.
Bad
Cashier (Former Employee), Union, NJDecember 8, 2014
This place started out not being a bad place to work but then it went downhill. It became awful.
Slave
Sales Support Merchandiser (Former Employee), Ocoee, FLDecember 1, 2014
I was a buzz bee work.
I don't like the job.
I love the people that i worked with.
I got to learn customer skills.
I had to do a lot of cleaning
I learned different types of wine.
Management was okay, not the best.
I was only part time but good job if your in college or looking for extra money.
Great experience with Total Wine..
Front End Team Member (Former Employee), Richmond, VANovember 17, 2014
Pros: management, co-workers, they give you hours (if you want it)
Cons: some customers, lifting heavy wine boxes
I Loved it here... The hours where quite long sometimes (worked full time). Coworkers made it a delight working here and SOME customers as well. You get to try samples of wine and beer! And take some free bottles of wine home sometimes, which was awesome! They got wine/beer classes! It was an enjoyable experience...
Decent Place to work
Front End Team Member/ Front End Supervisor (Former Employee), Roseville, CAOctober 25, 2014
As a cashier days can be very boring during the slow seasons, however, management is nice and attempt to make days interesting with contests. Trying to get a promotion is easy to be a supervisor moving into management is difficult. Working full-time and going to school full-time can be difficult keeping the work hours up there to pay bills but they are willing to work with you the best they can.
Productive and Fun Interesting Workplace
Front End Team Member (Cashier) (Current Employee), Rancho Cucamonga, CASeptember 18, 2014
Management very good, they work side by side with employee's and do the dame work as everyone else. Understanding the job that is asked of their associates and giving appreciation for hard work put into the company.
Dedicated team with a good General Manager
Store Asst Manager (Current Employee), Roseville CAAugust 20, 2014
Pros: good people to work with
Cons: selling alcohol, i see too many young adults drinking heavily.
I work 10 hour days and when on shift I have total store responsibilities.
I have a really good group of co-workers and a dedicated management team to work with.
Hardest part of the job is balancing doing the things I need to do with meeting the employees needs and customer needs. My work is often set aside so i can manage other needs.
I most enjoy working with the front line staff. they are dedicated and hard working. I know they appreciate having a manager that takes personal intrest in assisting them with project management and ideas.
Good palce to work fun times
Merchandising (Former Employee), Plantation, FLAugust 1, 2014
Pros: close to my house
Cons: only 5 days a week
i work on shipping man frame pc boards for internet security did all shipping and recieving long days was a great place to work first one there last one to leave people were all nice to me and love to help them with any thing they needed
Not a team enviroment
Human Resources/ Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Plantation, FLJuly 29, 2014
Worked very long hours and days standing approx. 10 hours per day. Upper management is not consistent or fair, too much favoritism.
Negative culture
wine associate (Current Employee), Tampa Fl.July 22, 2014
Pros: quitting time
Cons: everything else
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!! 12 hour days begin with sitting outside store waiting for the manager to arrive... late. 30 minute lunch without any other breaks. Negative, back-stabbing co-workers. Low pay. Abusive assistant manager. TERRIBLE JOB!!! They go through employees like water. Very high turnover rate. Dirty store. Forced to wear headsets that act as a one way communication device for management's sarcastic comments. Work anywhere else but here. Run. Run now. WORST JOB EVER!!!!
manager (Current Employee), sarasota, FlJuly 21, 2014
Pros: changing environment, room to grow, yearly raises, good benefits, paid vacation, it's fun
Cons: long shifts on hard floors get some good shoes
Total wine is a fantastic place to work. You do work long hours on your feet but no 2 days are the same. There is loads of room for advancing. The management team really cares about your growth and will help you develop.
Productive, yet unfulfilled promises
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Miami, FLJune 9, 2014
Learned a higher level of delegation, time management, business proposals as well as the sales portion of the business. Please ask applicant for more info.
Good Experience
Wine Supervisor (Current Employee), Charlotte, NCApril 11, 2014
Wine/Retail Education
Enjoyable-Wine Training/Discount
Energetic, yet productive work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Laurel, MDFebruary 26, 2014
I learned how to count large amounts of money using machine provided. I enjoyed working with customers and helping them decide on choices of products.
Cashier
Cashier & Merchandiser (Former Employee), Dallas, TXFebruary 25, 2014
Customer Service..
Handling large amounts of money.
Processing Credit/ Debit Cards
Processing Checks
Great place to work directly with customers, learn about different wines and beers and discounts.
Manager (Former Employee), North Carolina.December 18, 2013
Pros: tasting and learning new wine and beer, wine and beer for life, discounts, healthcare, customer interaction
Cons: long hours, short breaks, dirty store, unappreciated, low advancement, out date variety beers, always under staffed
Initial training was great but once you got back to your store or at least the store I went to training was not great. The store did not plan their days well and there were morale issues from others where good associates quit because of being burned out and unappreciated. Those associates could have been saved if management would have given them the recognition they deserved and the opportunity to advance. Several 14 hour days with one short break. Budget is tight in every company but Total Wine is an under statement. Customer service is very demanding and it is hard to get tasks accomplished when you staff the wine associates short. It is hard to increase sales when you under staff your stores accept for the holidays. That's why associates get burned out because of working those long hours everyday from open to close. Management did not follow policies consistently but expected others to do so. I don't think the owners fully understand what goes on in some stores with some of the management staff and their practices. This company has a gold mine concept but needs some work.

1 2 3