Tough Mudder Employee Reviews

Enjoyable
Medic (Former Employee) –  Fairburn, GAJuly 9, 2016
I worked as a Medic at this event. I had to splint a broken knee and the transport crew got there quickly and everything ran smoothly.
Wonderful people to work with!
Pros
Free Lunches, T shirts
Cons
12 Hours of sitting in the sun. But it's what you sign up for.
Many kind people, sadly the ignorant victims of a police state
Operations Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYMay 13, 2014
Disclaimer: I'd recommend reading all of the posts on this site with the understand that while I was at Tough Mudder, the entire company received a note from the Chief Marketing Officer "asking" that each person write an honest review of the company. This is my honest review three months after severing ties with the organization.

My experience at Tough Mudder - from getting hired to leaving - was hugely disappointing.

After negotiating my salary and receiving my offer letter, I was told a few things that I should have seen as warning signs: I found out in the last five minutes of my fifth interview that I would be going through an "induction period" in which I would not be salaried, not receive benefits, not receive any paid time off, and not be a full-time employee until I was confirmed by the Executive Committee.

This induction period was supposed to last up to 10 weeks but given that my manager was often out of the office and I had no advocate, it meant that I was "in training" for the entire three months that I was there. My formal training ended after my fifth day at Tough Mudder; but they were able to get away with paying me $15/hour ($15 dollars an hour!) for the next 11 weeks after that.

In addition to the inconvenience of not being able to go to the doctor or, you know, take a day off, I was also working around the clock. Events companies are notorious for stretching people to their breaking points - the window between set up and actual event production is limited especially when the company, like Tough Mudder, is understaffed.

When I left the events
  more... team toward the end of 2012, we had about 14 people executing against 30-some Mudders; 2013 has twice as many events on the calendar. During my last month, I was working on back-to-back-to-back events - I was gone for 8 days to set up and execute an event; when not working from 7am to 7pm on-site, I was in my hotel room pumping out work until 2am for the event that would happen four days after my return. At the same time, we had to do event reconciliation on all prior events and make sure that we'd procured/staffed events that were happening two or three weeks down the line.

Since TMHQ is highly bureaucratic and super hierarchical, most of the work I did was busy work. Everyone from the office manager to the CFO is required to "check out" with his or her manager to explain what was accomplished each day. We were also expected to keep a running list of projects in a Google doc so our managers could see what we were working on. In addition, since I was an inductee and an hourly employee, I was required to fill out a weekly time sheet to account for the hours that I billed. About two months in, were also asked to assign a "Type of Work Code" to each half hour of our 12 hour work day so the internal consultants could see how we used our time. Just to clarify, I spent 30 min to an hour each day updating my project document, accounting for my hours on my timesheet, coding my hours for an internal consulting project, and writing EOD emails to my manager.

At some point along the way, Tough Mudder instituted mandatory hours of 9am to 7pm. I guess someone figured if you give people an unreasonable amount of emails to write and Google docs to update, then you can demand that they be in the office *at least* 10 hours per day. And since employees want to outperform their colleagues and advance in their careers, most people will overcompensate by arriving at 8am and leaving at 9 or 10pm. To say face time was a high priority would be an understatement.

The outcome of this insane schedule was that most of the operations team (~50 people: events, logistics, site search, construction, course managers, etc.), who have to be on-site at an event most weekends, would literally not see the light of day or their friends for 5 or 6 or 7 weeks at a time.

So, people keep their heads down, work 12+ hour days, write mandatory glowing reviews about the company and its leadership on Glassdoor, get drunk at the Mandatory Fun Party each Friday from 6 to 7pm (because everyone wants to stay at their office in DUMBO until 7pm every Friday night!), and hope to God that they won't be fired for not over-performing against whatever arbitrary expectation has been set for that day.

Tough Mudder is well-run with some truly good people, but, as my co-worker pointed out to me in my first week, "It is a company that runs on a culture of fear."
Pros
Cool brand
Cons
See above
Great team of cool, smart people
Communications Consultant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 12, 2012
Working at Tough Mudder is not just a career or a job - it's a lifestyle. Everyone here is motivated, super smart, and focused on delivering great experiences for their customers and for themselves. There's a great vibe in the office and building relationships with your colleagues is one of TM's core values. Perks are great, working in DUMBO is awesome, and it's really satisfying to see the output of your hard work when we produce a stellar event.
Pros
company retreats, color wars, boat cruises, awesome people, free snacks
Cons
long hours (not so bad)