Tower Loan Employee Reviews in United States

nice place to work. small office, long hours, good pay
Manger in Training (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAJuly 5, 2015
typical day is taking loan applications, making calls to customers to remind them to pay. tracking down people who are late on payments. taking payments for loans.
Providing help to athletes
Captain (Former Employee) –  warrensburg moJune 27, 2015
You are place on one of three fields at the University of Central Mo with up to 7 high school football teams at each field. Football games are then played and you help referee and coach up the athletes as well
Pros
working to help develope kids
Cons
hot outside
if you can. Stay away
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Greenville, MSJune 18, 2015
The job within itself was fine, fun, even a bit competitive.

But Job security was out the window.
They won't hire a manager trainee if they have just purchased a home and they demand you to change your hair if it's not up to their standards. My hair was naturally curly/kinky. It was requested either I wear a wig or get a relaxer on my Virgin hair. Also the manager created an extremely hostile working environment which was not conducive to effective work and employee morality.

Don't work there if you have a child or a spouse as they become your second priority while work is your first.

You are not compensated for overtime which is usually asked of you everyday because you're on salary. Once you divide up the time worked by the salary you're basically making less than minimum wage.
Not that bad
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  MississipiJune 15, 2015
Tower Loan was not that bad and it was not that great. If you are desperate for a job then go for it. You gotta pay your bills. You gotta chase customers who can't pay their bills, call them all day every day, and send them letters. It is set up like a pyramid scheme how they promote, your manager doesn't want you to be better than them so they "forget" to tell you somethings.
Pros
Its a job
Cons
It's Tower Loan
sales
Customer Service/Billing Rep (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJune 2, 2015
i learned how to collect past due account in a very professional way ,too many hours ,management very strict jytyf fgdrgd hfdgrfd fdgfx htfhtf
Great compensation for a starting position, tough industry to work in
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Saint Charles, MOJune 1, 2015
This is a job that wants young and dedicated employees who have the drive to became an office manager. If you're hired as a trainee it is expected that you'll become a manager and the company will work to see you succeed. It is a tough industry to work in if you don't like rejection since you're time is split between sales and collections.
Tower Loan
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Ridgeland, MSApril 22, 2015
A typical day begins by pulling the previous day's reports to review results. I started with a brief staff meeting to highlight the goals for the day and to assign collection and solicitation accounts.

Being that this was my most tenured job, I learned all of my management and financial skills, as well as how to hire and train a branch staff.

In the beginning, the most challenging aspect was getting acclimated to the work force; however, after years of hard work, the job became second nature.

The most enjoyable aspect was the benefits and rewards.
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape GirardeauApril 17, 2015
Typical Day consisted of processing of loans, reviewing credit, applying payment, collecting money, and selling of loans.

I learned how to manage others. I learned how to process & review credit to determine credit worthiness for customers to obtain a loan. I learned how to control delinquency. The hardest part of the job was going to customer homes unannounced due to never knowing what to expect when I showed up.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people in need.
Great experience in finance with a great opportunity to relocate
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LAApril 3, 2015
A typical day at work involves calling accounts in order to schedule payments, solicit for more money and/or discuss the terms of the contract for current customers. When providing a loan one must go through the loan process of securing the loan with a collateral list, going over the payment schedule with the potential customer and selling the optional insurances to insure the customer and the company.
Management is very helpful and will delegate much of his/her duties so one can get on the job training and hands on experience.
My co workers are very helpful as well and exemplifies the word teamwork.
The hardest part of the job is collecting payments when customers don't have the money and/or when customers experience a hardship in their family.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers when they come in the office and pay at the counter.
Pros
office job customer service good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  MOApril 1, 2015
Longer hours as manager that they tell you about. No matter what you do it is never enough. They beat you down. One minute they say great the next 5 hours is why don't you do this or this.
Good place to work if you dont have a conscience
CSR/RESEPTIONEST/SALES (Former Employee) –  Vivian, LAMarch 30, 2015
Typical day is solicite,solicite,solicite. then call to collect.generate as many loans as possible. Iearned that even though there #1 core principal is '"we are always honest no mater what " is not always true. supervision puts a huge amount of do or die pressure on management that they find it easier not to disclose important infomation to the customer. In the almost 3 yrs i worked for tower i had 3 different managers and 2 supervisors.I never felt properly trained because they were not properly trained as managers. The only coworker I had was the manager and he was more intersted in Utube. Ihave to say the hardest part of my job was the collections aspect of the loan business ,The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers ,even the few difficult customers made an otherwise difficult job a little easier.
Pros
incentive pay, contests winning lunch, gift cards, days off
Cons
poor management, underhanded loan practices
Be Prepared for Anything.
MT (Current Employee) –  MSMarch 22, 2015
Let me start off by saying, not everyone will have the same experience. You may have great managers, but horrible customers. Others may have horrible managers, but great customers.

Pros:

1st. The best thing about this job is the pay. You are guaranteed a set amount each week. It could/should be a little more, but for an entry level position, it's fine. My salary was around $21,000, so I was mislead when I read on here that MTs were getting $35,000+ a year. That's usually Manager's status BEFORE the taxes. That's only possible if you and your branch is getting above average amounts of loans, and maxing out the contests.

2nd. MY manager is amazing. I put emphasis on "my". When I first researched Tower Loan, my first thought was "it could not be so bad if I have a good manager". Your manager makes a huge difference. The only downfall is my manager has the tendency to embarrass you in front of customers, instead of pulling you to the side, which is why I gave a 3 star. When he/she felt she was too hard on us, she would apologize. He/She never let the customers' talk down to us. My manager goes the extra mile, and motivates us to want to as well.

Cons:

Now let's get real with the details.

Would I recommend this job? No. No. No. NO!! This company is just as others say. Your day literally consists of 1. Soliciting new customers as they come to pay on someone else's accounts. 2. Soliciting pay off customers. 3. Soliciting customers when they make a payment. 4. Solicit on the phone. 5. Call customers to collect. 6. If you are suing someone, you may have court. 7. If someone does
  more... not pay or answer at all, you may have to chase.

As I said before, the pay is great if you are desperate for a job, and got bills piling up, but for what you go through with the customers? I think more money should be offered.

The CSR at my branch is very rude.

Customers are very rude at times. When you can't reach customers, you call references, whom will be either nice or rude. You rarely get someone who is nonchalant. You have to speak to EVERYONE a certain way, which makes you sound robotic. If you don't ask people if they want a thousand dollars every time someone walks in, you will get fussed at. Sometimes you have to close the loans, and suffer through flirtatious remarks or such from male customers. Even when you tell a customer you are approved, they sometimes come in grumpy.

You get a one hour lunch break, then back to soliciting and collecting. I was desperate for a job, so I took this one. Some days are good, some days aren't.

I least like the rude customers. I enjoy the pay days. Also you don't get paid the 1st and 15th as one commenter said, you get paid usually 2-3 days after the 1st and the 15th. If you are a new employee, you don;t get days off unless you are extremely sick to the point of hospitalization. You don;t get days off until you have worked with the company for a year. Health benefits kick in 60 days after you start work.

Overall opinion, just make this your last resort for a job.
Pros
payday, one hour lunch, health benefits, management
Cons
rude customers, calling the same people everyday
Fairly average work environment with low stress workload. Typical office tasks with minimal supervisory input needed.
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSMarch 18, 2015
Loved it!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Gibson, MSMarch 3, 2015
Tower Loan is a great place to work. I enjoyed building lasting friendships that I still have with my customers today. Most of them still hug me when they see me. My co-workers were also great. The hardest part of the job was the collections process, but the challenge is worth the rewards.
Pros
lasting customer friendships
Cons
collections process
Good entry level experience!
MANAGER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  New Albany, MSFebruary 24, 2015
Long hours of loan work! Great co-workers. I learned about finance companies, as well as, how they work. Excellent experience for entry level individuals.
Terrible Job
MT (Former Employee) –  Hodge, LAFebruary 2, 2015
I hated working at Tower Loan. Pay was the only plus. I was hired as a MT and the manager and CSR did not like me because i was black and treated my like horribly. I eventually quit and im sooooo glad i did. This was in Hodge, LA. DO NOT WORK THERE unless you are desperate for a job. I quit within a month time.
Pros
pay
Terrible experience
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 2, 2015
Where to even begin? I will preface by saying that the compensation is very reasonable for an entry level position. Aside from that, there is little value in this company. I worked for one of the most unprofessional, temperamental managers I have ever seen. From unloading on customers to treating my co-worker and me like dogs, I struggle to see how people with such attitudes make it into management. When you hide someone's cash drawer in your desk in order to cause a panic and make a 'statement' because it was left unsecured, you have just about reached the pinnacle of immaturity.

The company itself does not send out billing statements. Rather, they will call relentlessly until they get a date that you will pay on. This will happen every month. Then, they will waste paper sending out late notices when they could have sent the initial statement like any other normal company. No, that would be too easy. Also, you may randomly receive things telling you your bill is late or you qualify for more money from a 3rd party. This happened to someone who had just PAID OFF his account. His bill is late. We knew for a fact we had not sent it from the office. I told him I wasn't going to begin to try and explain that one. I just told him to disregard it.

This place is insane. There will always be people who have good experiences, and I did my best to help people and provide those, but this company is way behind the world on technology and sound policy. Do not get yourself into debt with these people, and find another company to work with.
Pros
pay
Cons
virtually everything else
Relaxed & casual company to work for. Fantastic boss.
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, LAJanuary 9, 2015
I learned with the finance world that people will not keep their word about re-paying their loan. The management kept you on your toes when it came to collecting. The hardest part of this job was the rude remarks over the phone when I called them regarding their loan status. The most enjoyable part was seeing that you helped someone financially when thy were down on their luck.
Pros
one hour lunches.
Cons
not enough pay.
No sick days, vacation, or weekends...
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  MSJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day included making collection calls, solicitation calls, and closing loans. I worked in a super branch so 100 phone calls were required every day even if there were a lot of customers in and out of the office. If you did not finish you were sometimes asked to stay past your leave time, and at a super branch that could mean staying past 7 pm. In my initial interview I was told I would work 2 Saturdays out of the month, but once I started I seldom got 1 Saturday off a month. That was a real problem considering I moved 3 hours away from home to take the job. The office I worked in was never fully staffed for more than 1 month, and the turnover rate was high. In the 7 months I was there I had 3 branch managers and 5 co-managers rotate out. For 2 weeks, there was no manager or co-manager, just the supervisor. The last 2 months there I was miserable. I was threatened daily about getting fired for simple mistakes, or even asking a question. I was told at one point that I couldn't talk to anyone and that I wasn't allowed to leave my desk unless I had to use the restroom, go to lunch, or help a customer. Advancement is easy if you put up with all the mess, pass all the tests, and kiss all the supervisors and directors tail, which led to many people being promoted based off of who they know and not their qualities. The most enjoyable thing about this job was getting paid. However, you do not get paid on the 1st or the 15th. You get paid between the 1st-5th and the 16th-20th so prepare your budget when it comes to bills.
Pros
pay day
Cons
management, health care benefits, life/work balance
sucks
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, MSNovember 7, 2014
cant think of anything good to say was fired for child being in hospital sick

2.4