Tower Loan

Tower Loan Employee Reviews

Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Cape GirardeauApril 17, 2015
Typical Day consisted of processing of loans, reviewing credit, applying payment, collecting money, and selling of loans.

I learned how to manage others. I learned how to process & review credit to determine credit worthiness for customers to obtain a loan. I learned how to control delinquency. The hardest part of the job was going to customer homes unannounced due to never knowing what to expect when I showed up.

The most enjoyable part of the job was helping people in need.
Great experience in finance with a great opportunity to relocate
Manager in Training (Current Employee) –  Hammond, LAApril 3, 2015
A typical day at work involves calling accounts in order to schedule payments, solicit for more money and/or discuss the terms of the contract for current customers. When providing a loan one must go through the loan process of securing the loan with a collateral list, going over the payment schedule with the potential customer and selling the optional insurances to insure the customer and the company.
Management is very helpful and will delegate much of his/her duties so one can get on the job training and hands on experience.
My co workers are very helpful as well and exemplifies the word teamwork.
The hardest part of the job is collecting payments when customers don't have the money and/or when customers experience a hardship in their family.
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with the customers when they come in the office and pay at the counter.
Pros
office job customer service good experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  MOApril 1, 2015
Longer hours as manager that they tell you about. No matter what you do it is never enough. They beat you down. One minute they say great the next 5 hours is why don't you do this or this.
Good place to work if you dont have a conscience
CSR/RESEPTIONEST/SALES (Former Employee) –  Vivian, LAMarch 30, 2015
Typical day is solicite,solicite,solicite. then call to collect.generate as many loans as possible. Iearned that even though there #1 core principal is '"we are always honest no mater what " is not always true. supervision puts a huge amount of do or die pressure on management that they find it easier not to disclose important infomation to the customer. In the almost 3 yrs i worked for tower i had 3 different managers and 2 supervisors.I never felt properly trained because they were not properly trained as managers. The only coworker I had was the manager and he was more intersted in Utube. Ihave to say the hardest part of my job was the collections aspect of the loan business ,The most enjoyable part of the job were the customers ,even the few difficult customers made an otherwise difficult job a little easier.
Pros
incentive pay, contests winning lunch, gift cards, days off
Cons
poor management, underhanded loan practices
Be Prepared for Anything.
MT (Current Employee) –  MSMarch 22, 2015
Let me start off by saying, not everyone will have the same experience. You may have great managers, but horrible customers. Others may have horrible managers, but great customers.

Pros:

1st. The best thing about this job is the pay. You are guaranteed a set amount each week. It could/should be a little more, but for an entry level position, it's fine. My salary was around $21,000, so I was mislead when I read on here that MTs were getting $35,000+ a year. That's usually Manager's status BEFORE the taxes. That's only possible if you and your branch is getting above average amounts of loans, and maxing out the contests.

2nd. MY manager is amazing. I put emphasis on "my". When I first researched Tower Loan, my first thought was "it could not be so bad if I have a good manager". Your manager makes a huge difference. The only downfall is my manager has the tendency to embarrass you in front of customers, instead of pulling you to the side, which is why I gave a 3 star. When he/she felt she was too hard on us, she would apologize. He/She never let the customers' talk down to us. My manager goes the extra mile, and motivates us to want to as well.

Cons:

Now let's get real with the details.

Would I recommend this job? No. No. No. NO!! This company is just as others say. Your day literally consists of 1. Soliciting new customers as they come to pay on someone else's accounts. 2. Soliciting pay off customers. 3. Soliciting customers when they make a payment. 4. Solicit on the phone. 5. Call customers to collect. 6. If you are suing someone, you may have court. 7. If someone does
  more... not pay or answer at all, you may have to chase.

As I said before, the pay is great if you are desperate for a job, and got bills piling up, but for what you go through with the customers? I think more money should be offered.

The CSR at my branch is very rude.

Customers are very rude at times. When you can't reach customers, you call references, whom will be either nice or rude. You rarely get someone who is nonchalant. You have to speak to EVERYONE a certain way, which makes you sound robotic. If you don't ask people if they want a thousand dollars every time someone walks in, you will get fussed at. Sometimes you have to close the loans, and suffer through flirtatious remarks or such from male customers. Even when you tell a customer you are approved, they sometimes come in grumpy.

You get a one hour lunch break, then back to soliciting and collecting. I was desperate for a job, so I took this one. Some days are good, some days aren't.

I least like the rude customers. I enjoy the pay days. Also you don't get paid the 1st and 15th as one commenter said, you get paid usually 2-3 days after the 1st and the 15th. If you are a new employee, you don;t get days off unless you are extremely sick to the point of hospitalization. You don;t get days off until you have worked with the company for a year. Health benefits kick in 60 days after you start work.

Overall opinion, just make this your last resort for a job.
Pros
payday, one hour lunch, health benefits, management
Cons
rude customers, calling the same people everyday
Fairly average work environment with low stress workload. Typical office tasks with minimal supervisory input needed.
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Yazoo City, MSMarch 18, 2015
Loved it!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Port Gibson, MSMarch 3, 2015
Tower Loan is a great place to work. I enjoyed building lasting friendships that I still have with my customers today. Most of them still hug me when they see me. My co-workers were also great. The hardest part of the job was the collections process, but the challenge is worth the rewards.
Pros
lasting customer friendships
Cons
collections process
Good entry level experience!
MANAGER TRAINEE (Former Employee) –  New Albany, MSFebruary 24, 2015
Long hours of loan work! Great co-workers. I learned about finance companies, as well as, how they work. Excellent experience for entry level individuals.
Terrible Job
MT (Former Employee) –  Hodge, LAFebruary 2, 2015
I hated working at Tower Loan. Pay was the only plus. I was hired as a MT and the manager and CSR did not like me because i was black and treated my like horribly. I eventually quit and im sooooo glad i did. This was in Hodge, LA. DO NOT WORK THERE unless you are desperate for a job. I quit within a month time.
Pros
pay
Terrible experience
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALFebruary 2, 2015
Where to even begin? I will preface by saying that the compensation is very reasonable for an entry level position. Aside from that, there is little value in this company. I worked for one of the most unprofessional, temperamental managers I have ever seen. From unloading on customers to treating my co-worker and me like dogs, I struggle to see how people with such attitudes make it into management. When you hide someone's cash drawer in your desk in order to cause a panic and make a 'statement' because it was left unsecured, you have just about reached the pinnacle of immaturity.

The company itself does not send out billing statements. Rather, they will call relentlessly until they get a date that you will pay on. This will happen every month. Then, they will waste paper sending out late notices when they could have sent the initial statement like any other normal company. No, that would be too easy. Also, you may randomly receive things telling you your bill is late or you qualify for more money from a 3rd party. This happened to someone who had just PAID OFF his account. His bill is late. We knew for a fact we had not sent it from the office. I told him I wasn't going to begin to try and explain that one. I just told him to disregard it.

This place is insane. There will always be people who have good experiences, and I did my best to help people and provide those, but this company is way behind the world on technology and sound policy. Do not get yourself into debt with these people, and find another company to work with.
Pros
pay
Cons
virtually everything else
Relaxed & casual company to work for. Fantastic boss.
Customer Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, LAJanuary 9, 2015
I learned with the finance world that people will not keep their word about re-paying their loan. The management kept you on your toes when it came to collecting. The hardest part of this job was the rude remarks over the phone when I called them regarding their loan status. The most enjoyable part was seeing that you helped someone financially when thy were down on their luck.
Pros
one hour lunches.
Cons
not enough pay.
No sick days, vacation, or weekends...
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  MSJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day included making collection calls, solicitation calls, and closing loans. I worked in a super branch so 100 phone calls were required every day even if there were a lot of customers in and out of the office. If you did not finish you were sometimes asked to stay past your leave time, and at a super branch that could mean staying past 7 pm. In my initial interview I was told I would work 2 Saturdays out of the month, but once I started I seldom got 1 Saturday off a month. That was a real problem considering I moved 3 hours away from home to take the job. The office I worked in was never fully staffed for more than 1 month, and the turnover rate was high. In the 7 months I was there I had 3 branch managers and 5 co-managers rotate out. For 2 weeks, there was no manager or co-manager, just the supervisor. The last 2 months there I was miserable. I was threatened daily about getting fired for simple mistakes, or even asking a question. I was told at one point that I couldn't talk to anyone and that I wasn't allowed to leave my desk unless I had to use the restroom, go to lunch, or help a customer. Advancement is easy if you put up with all the mess, pass all the tests, and kiss all the supervisors and directors tail, which led to many people being promoted based off of who they know and not their qualities. The most enjoyable thing about this job was getting paid. However, you do not get paid on the 1st or the 15th. You get paid between the 1st-5th and the 16th-20th so prepare your budget when it comes to bills.
Pros
pay day
Cons
management, health care benefits, life/work balance
sucks
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, MSNovember 7, 2014
cant think of anything good to say was fired for child being in hospital sick
No Loan is a Good Loan
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LAOctober 20, 2014
A typical work day required loan solicitation and chasing late accounts. I learned that it's not a very helpful industry, especially for poor people. It was, however, fun competing with other AM for prizes.
A great job for you to climb your way to the top in
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Columbus, MSOctober 14, 2014
A typical day at Tower Loan starts out busy and end just the same. You will always find yourself with something to do, which is great if you're like me. Management in my particular branch is nothing to complain about. I can honestly say my manager runs a tight but laid back ship. The hardest part of the job in my opinion is calling the customers for their payments. Even with a signed agreement between both parties, there is always going to be that one customer to give you grief. Aside from the pay, demanding payment from our customers is the only thing that makes me uneasy. I enjoy my coworkers and most of my customers.
Pros
laid back work environment
Cons
not enough pay
Management needs to learn how to be considerate and helpful to thier customers.
Assistant Manger (Former Employee) –  Pascagoula MsSeptember 22, 2014
No comment, this is not a company I would recommend working for.
Professional and fun work place...
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Kosciusko, MSSeptember 10, 2014
I love this Company. They've given me so many opportunities to advance in the company, just as they do every employee who consistently works hard. The training process is hard but once you are promoted it's all you ever dreamed it would be. I love this company. I've met and spoken with thousands of people and if it were not for this company, I would never have built up enough courage and confidence to do the things I am capable of doing now. All-in-all, this company is a great company to be employed with. The team effort from every single employee is just amazing. Once I was PRomoted as manager, everything changed. I had to follow the rules from my supervisor but I also got to make and enforce my own rules. i got to experience the hiring/ firing process along with interviewing and determining potentially good employees and distinguishing between the good and bad. I enjoyed coming to work every single day and seeing my employees faces. The hardest part of the job in general, is having to make decisions that could possibly hurt a person or persons. This job requires you to make steady choices regardless of the feelings you hurt, just as any job dealing with the public. The most enjoyable part is being able to work together with customers to resolve the financial situations they were having at the time.
Pros
support, medical, dental, and vision insurance. great learning experience
Cons
unhappy customers
GREAT PLACE
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Holly Springs, MSSeptember 3, 2014
EVERYDAY WAS SOMETHING NEW TAKING PEOPLE INFORMATION AND WAITING ON APPROVAL. LONG HOURS BUT NOTHING TO HARD.
Very fast paced environment
Branch Manager/Trainee (Former Employee) –  Minden, LAJuly 31, 2014
This company was a good company to work for. They really believed in rewarding their employees for their hard work, which in returned encouraged us to work even harder. I learned so much from this job including multitasking skills, communication skills, great customer service skills, and the list goes on.
Pros
great opportunity for advancement
ok to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Pontotoc, MSJuly 24, 2014
. make calls all day everyday
.deal with disgruntle customers