Town Pump

Town Pump United States Employee Reviews

It was a good job for me.
Payroll File Clerk (Former Employee), Butte, MTApril 6, 2015
Pros: Benefits, pay and great people
Cons: sometimes too busy and caotic
In my time working for Town Pump, I learned a lot. It taught me patience and perseverance. It was very busy and rewarding. If I am ever faced with the choice to work for them again, I will not hesitate.
Production
Cashier / Closer (Current Employee), Butte, MTMarch 21, 2015
A typical day of work is Managing stock and inventory to keep a clean store. I handled cash transactions and keep a steady cash flow
Productive, busy
Cashier (Former Employee), Dillon MontanaJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: free food and drink
This was a very fun job, fun employees, and always kept you busy so time went fast.We would stock all shelves, track incoming and outgoing products, prepare and serve food, maintain a clean environment inside and out.
Advancement guaranteed!
Manager (Former Employee), Kalispell, MTJanuary 22, 2015
Town Pump has an attitude of advancing employees who are loyal and hard working. Hours can be tough but with the company appreciation and opportunities the hours can be overcome.
This a fun and fast pased job
Grocery Merchandiser (Former Employee), Anaconda, MTDecember 13, 2014
Pros: great for learning customer service and working on management
Cons: sometimes you just have to handle upset customers knowing there is nothing yourself can do.
You would get to work and take inventory on the first things that you need to know about then jump into to helping customers. This job teaches how to deal with all kinds of people and what you need to do. They like to move dedicated employee's up quickly and get them in a management class. Some customers are never satisfied and will be hard to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the this job is moving up and learning all the positions they have.
productive and still enjoyable
Book Keeper (Current Employee), Shelby, MTDecember 6, 2014
arrive to work before most others and et my day started. As everyone arrives later that morning we stop and talk to see how each other has been. Once I have completed my responsibilities for the day I usually find someone else to help or find something else to do until quitting time.
Hotel Managerial Disaster
Hotel (Former Employee), MontanaNovember 8, 2014
Pros: quiet, clean atmosphere
Cons: everything else.
It is apparent that the managerial staff was hired directly as managers as they have no experience with the actually positions or running the actual business. Clearly they never worked in the positions for which they are managing. (i.e. - "You're doing it wrong" "Ok, how should I be doing it?" "I don't know, let me find someone who knows how to do it right.")

Not only that, there seems to be an atmosphere of passing any issues off on employees when they are clearly managerial mistakes. That is so beyond unacceptable. In the actual job description it discusses taking responsibility for actions, which tells you right off the bat that it is an issue. The position and job itself would have been fine, but the lack of professionalism with management is absolutely ludicrous. The "gossip" that occurs is really frustrating as well. This is another thing that is posted directly in the job description: "Check it at the door/no gossip" If your employer tells you one of the job requirements is not to gossip, RED FLAG. The managers were the WORST at gossiping and bad talking employees to all the other employees. It erases credibility and creates a culture of zero respect.

There is also what seems to be 'setting employees up for failure' instead of striving to help them succeed. So much emphasis is placed on testing the employees under false scenarios in the hope that they fail and can be reprimanded. Its an absolutely uncomfortable atmosphere. From trying to delay an employee upon arrival so they clock-in late to placing fake phone calls which are intentionally meant to rattle employees... – more... Yes, it all happens. You have to constantly be on guard, which is not a healthy work environment.

Also, there is a huge issue with managing for the sake of managing. Lists of tasks to be completed and signed for no reason, busy work, repetitive tasks that are unnecessary. There seems to be something new to sign everyday... simple notes like "I understand I will smile when guests arrive" Please Sign Below. "I understand that I will smile while on the phone." Please sign below. "I understand that I must mop at least once on my shift." Please sign below. Its as if the managers are simply trying to convince themselves that they are managing properly, while at the same time compiling signatures that can help to lead to a termination. All of these things really lead to a very uncomfortable and very insecure feeling in your work environment.

As a college educated employee with years of prior managerial and vast hotel management experience, I was treated as if I was a high school student who brought nothing to the table and my opinions and suggestions were brushed aside and disregarded. I have seen flaws in operations, yet my ideas seemed to be taken as threats to the managers security in their position. It is clear that they have their job security far more in mind than the success of the business.

I understand that Town Pump may be relatively new at the hotel industry, but as far as employees go... they are failing by treating hotel employees as if they were gas station attendants or casino workers. Different environment require different techniques. This is a huge oversight and failure on their part.

I feel so relieved that I have left and now work for a completely different hotel chain, where I am valued. I was offered the GM position (I was only offered a front desk employee with town pump and went from just over $8 and hour to a very comfortably salaried employee with incredible incentives and benefits) and have helped to create an incredibly successful hotel with employees who love coming to work. I set my employees up for success, not failure and always commend them for a job well done instead of looking for every opportunity to jump on mistakes that are, in the big picture, not a big deal.

My advice, look elsewhere for employment and my personal experience was negative at best. – less
boring
cashier (Former Employee), Kalispell, MTNovember 3, 2014
Was always boring to work at night there was nothing to keep me busy all night and i like to keep myself busy
Good
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Billings, MTOctober 31, 2014
Pros: co workers overtime
Cons: busy
fast paced extremely busy management is pretty good high turnover because of the nature of the job hardest part dealing with customers all the time co workers were awesome plenty of hours always being asked to cover for someone
Fun customer atmosphere
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee), Butte, MTOctober 14, 2014
Loved working with the public dad to day meeting there needs to make a comfortable place to visit.
productive workplace with hospitality
cashier/deli (Former Employee), butte montanaOctober 14, 2014
a typical day at work was helping others and prepairing food and learning new skills in a clean safe environment. The hardest part was learning the cash register but learn quick management was caring people the most enjoyable part was meeting and helping people.
engertic confusion
Marketing Merchandiser Manager (Current Employee), Marketing Merchadiser ManagerSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: set hours, weekdays scheaule
Cons: no lunch breaks, bad benifets, no discounts
My job has many parts to it . I have orders threw varies distributors. I deal with vendors daily. I love my vendors they are what has kept me at my job as long as I have been working with them to help create better sales going off weekly sales reports .My management has changed completely over the last year . my boss is from a smaller location and does not understand the in and out of being able to create and manage a large crew and a much higher volume in sales location . She is the hardest part of my job to deal with I been at my location for 6years and I done every form of work there is to be done there I know almost every thing about the place and she does not it makes it frustrating to deal with . the most enjoyable part of my current job is my vendors I have great long lasting professional relationship they know my standards and what I expect and they work with me to come up with better ways to sell there product and what new things we may like to sell in the future
Great people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Helena, MTApril 23, 2014
Pros: great people/co-workers
Cons: favortism and drama
Everything would be perfect if I could advance more. The people are great and my co workers make my day. I have advanced as much as I could but since they have no room for me they demoted me until a management opportunity opens.
Casino-Assistant Manager, Floor runner and Boookkeeper
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Columbia Falls, MTMarch 4, 2014
Customers were pleasant but company was very hard to work for. They were always looking for ways to write someone up and fire them. They had a poor turnover.
Town pump
Cashier/Deli Worker (Former Employee), Billings, MTFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: free soda
Cons: associates breaking rules and no consequences./ no lunch break.
The hardest part of my job was working with people that were under the influence Made my job difficult and unsafe.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Butte, MTFebruary 12, 2014
manager was not good mad work place not good will never work there again .
Great stepping stone to fine tune my management skills
Assistant Manager/M.I.T. Graduate (Current Employee), Shelby, MTFebruary 6, 2014
I learned more about customer service and employee displine than with any previous company
great customers great coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee), Billings MontanaDecember 25, 2013
Pros: always hiring
Cons: if non smoker recieved no breaks and were doing the majority of the work
Coworkers great people. most managers hard working some newer ones not so much I enjoyed working with the public and the hardest part was dealing with the constant childish gossiping
Bad attitudes poor leadership
Cashier (Former Employee), Deer Lodge, MTNovember 7, 2013
Pros: a small pay check
Cons: bad working inviorment
Worse job ever,Poor leadership.Never worked that hard for the bull that came with it and back stabing
Good Learning Experience
MERCHANDISER (Current Employee), Helena, MTSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: new learning opportunities
Cons: expensive benefit packages and no scheduled breaks allowed in a nine hour shift.
I have enjoyed working for this company. I appreciate the opportunity it has provided for me to learn new skills and experiences. It is a demanding job that utilizes my organizational, customer/vendor relationship, and critical thinking skills. I take pride in my job and it is shown through my dedication and performance. The company has a horizontal hierarchy management structure, which is not conducive for introducing or implementing ideas or changes that would be beneficial for the company. The company experiences a high employee turn-over rate, which does not allow for the establishment of a cohesive team.

Town Pump Salaries