Town Pump Employee Reviews

favortism
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Butte, MTJanuary 26, 2016
some employees can get away with anything while the others get into trouble.the work ethic in the work place is lacking.
Pros
favortism
Cons
short breaks
not a bad place to work, but they are not considerate of family matters
Cashier/Deli (Former Employee) –  Troy, MTJanuary 21, 2016
I only worked here for a little over a month. they are not a bad place to work and almost everyone is nice there, but when it comes to family matters they are not very considerate. and everyone there has a problem with bad mouthing each other and the management does nothing to stop it. lots of favoritism.
It is what it is. But good work environment and advancement opportunity
Graveyard Cashier (Former Employee) –  MissoulaNovember 23, 2015
Good company that is locally owned and good for the local economy. There is management problems but it is a good job with lots of room for advancement.
under good management it is a good place to work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Libby, MTNovember 18, 2015
I enjoyed working at Town pump and you could work your way up to management. For the most part co-workers were fun to work with
Cons
drive offs, and grave yards
town pump
clerk (Former Employee) –  great falls mtNovember 2, 2015
town pump where no one ever really cares what your doing as long as your getting your job done they leave you alone. they are good people on the inside. they keep out of the personal life which is good
Productive and a great place to work
Grocery Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lolo, MTNovember 2, 2015
I loved my job at Town Pump. I have made many friends and provided great customer service. Management was great. I started off as a cashier and moved up to Grocery Merchandiser. My position entailed many things. I organized and stocked the cooler, checked in vendors, changed the trash inside and out, filled window wash, paper towels, audit prep and much more.
Pros
Gained a lot of friends and moved up in the company
Cons
healthcare
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Eureka, MTOctober 23, 2015
I worked on the grave yard shift there. I was all ways the only one there at night. this place was the only place in town that was open 24/7 and at night would get bizy but everyone who would come in at night new that there was only one person on at any given time.
productive
Cashier/Deli (Former Employee) –  Butte, MTOctober 13, 2015
when i was hired for town pump i was just thrown on with out any training of any kind i trained my self on most thing i was supposed to take a razz class before i could sell alcohol or tobacco but i didn't until about four months after i started it was chaos there nothing was ever organized or anything
Pros
good food
Cons
awfull management/ co workers
Enjoyable & decent pay
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTSeptember 18, 2015
Enjoyable place to work, if you get along with your co-workers. Wages are alright for a cashiering position. During certain times of the day it can get really busy because everyone else is getting off of work, so you need to be able to work fast.
To much Drama within the company
Cashier/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Milltown, MTJune 1, 2015
It hard to advance in the company when they only see the value as a cashier or they then to use the people who work as secondary status when management is not around.

Depending on the manager on the favoritism he or she will show on employee who do not work as hard at the other ones.

Love working with customer and employee who like to work and help each other.

Management leaving someone in charge who does not possesses the skill to help employee or to much favoritism on how well they seem to not do there work each day.
Pros
Customer, some of the people I worked with
Cons
To much Drama, and back stabbing
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Dillon, MTApril 7, 2015
Town pump always keeps you busy. You learn great customer service and how to stock food to tobacco. Taking in big orders from the McClane trucks.
It was a good job for me.
Payroll File Clerk (Former Employee) –  Butte, MTApril 6, 2015
In my time working for Town Pump, I learned a lot. It taught me patience and perseverance. It was very busy and rewarding. If I am ever faced with the choice to work for them again, I will not hesitate.
Pros
Benefits, pay and great people
Cons
sometimes too busy and caotic
Production
Cashier / Closer (Current Employee) –  Butte, MTMarch 21, 2015
A typical day of work is Managing stock and inventory to keep a clean store. I handled cash transactions and keep a steady cash flow
Productive, busy
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Dillon MontanaJanuary 23, 2015
This was a very fun job, fun employees, and always kept you busy so time went fast.We would stock all shelves, track incoming and outgoing products, prepare and serve food, maintain a clean environment inside and out.
Pros
free food and drink
Advancement guaranteed!
Manager (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTJanuary 22, 2015
Town Pump has an attitude of advancing employees who are loyal and hard working. Hours can be tough but with the company appreciation and opportunities the hours can be overcome.
This a fun and fast pased job
Grocery Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Anaconda, MTDecember 13, 2014
You would get to work and take inventory on the first things that you need to know about then jump into to helping customers. This job teaches how to deal with all kinds of people and what you need to do. They like to move dedicated employee's up quickly and get them in a management class. Some customers are never satisfied and will be hard to calm down. The most enjoyable part of the this job is moving up and learning all the positions they have.
Pros
great for learning customer service and working on management
Cons
sometimes you just have to handle upset customers knowing there is nothing yourself can do.
productive and still enjoyable
Book Keeper (Current Employee) –  Shelby, MTDecember 6, 2014
arrive to work before most others and et my day started. As everyone arrives later that morning we stop and talk to see how each other has been. Once I have completed my responsibilities for the day I usually find someone else to help or find something else to do until quitting time.
Hotel Managerial Disaster
Hotel (Former Employee) –  MontanaNovember 8, 2014
It is apparent that the managerial staff was hired directly as managers as they have no experience with the actually positions or running the actual business. Clearly they never worked in the positions for which they are managing. (i.e. - "You're doing it wrong" "Ok, how should I be doing it?" "I don't know, let me find someone who knows how to do it right.")

Not only that, there seems to be an atmosphere of passing any issues off on employees when they are clearly managerial mistakes. That is so beyond unacceptable. In the actual job description it discusses taking responsibility for actions, which tells you right off the bat that it is an issue. The position and job itself would have been fine, but the lack of professionalism with management is absolutely ludicrous. The "gossip" that occurs is really frustrating as well. This is another thing that is posted directly in the job description: "Check it at the door/no gossip" If your employer tells you one of the job requirements is not to gossip, RED FLAG. The managers were the WORST at gossiping and bad talking employees to all the other employees. It erases credibility and creates a culture of zero respect.

There is also what seems to be 'setting employees up for failure' instead of striving to help them succeed. So much emphasis is placed on testing the employees under false scenarios in the hope that they fail and can be reprimanded. Its an absolutely uncomfortable atmosphere. From trying to delay an employee upon arrival so they clock-in late to placing fake phone calls which are intentionally meant to rattle employees...
  more... Yes, it all happens. You have to constantly be on guard, which is not a healthy work environment.

Also, there is a huge issue with managing for the sake of managing. Lists of tasks to be completed and signed for no reason, busy work, repetitive tasks that are unnecessary. There seems to be something new to sign everyday... simple notes like "I understand I will smile when guests arrive" Please Sign Below. "I understand that I will smile while on the phone." Please sign below. "I understand that I must mop at least once on my shift." Please sign below. Its as if the managers are simply trying to convince themselves that they are managing properly, while at the same time compiling signatures that can help to lead to a termination. All of these things really lead to a very uncomfortable and very insecure feeling in your work environment.

As a college educated employee with years of prior managerial and vast hotel management experience, I was treated as if I was a high school student who brought nothing to the table and my opinions and suggestions were brushed aside and disregarded. I have seen flaws in operations, yet my ideas seemed to be taken as threats to the managers security in their position. It is clear that they have their job security far more in mind than the success of the business.

I understand that Town Pump may be relatively new at the hotel industry, but as far as employees go... they are failing by treating hotel employees as if they were gas station attendants or casino workers. Different environment require different techniques. This is a huge oversight and failure on their part.

I feel so relieved that I have left and now work for a completely different hotel chain, where I am valued. I was offered the GM position (I was only offered a front desk employee with town pump and went from just over $8 and hour to a very comfortably salaried employee with incredible incentives and benefits) and have helped to create an incredibly successful hotel with employees who love coming to work. I set my employees up for success, not failure and always commend them for a job well done instead of looking for every opportunity to jump on mistakes that are, in the big picture, not a big deal.

My advice, look elsewhere for employment and my personal experience was negative at best.
Pros
quiet, clean atmosphere
Cons
everything else.
boring
cashier (Former Employee) –  Kalispell, MTNovember 3, 2014
Was always boring to work at night there was nothing to keep me busy all night and i like to keep myself busy
Good
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Billings, MTOctober 31, 2014
fast paced extremely busy management is pretty good high turnover because of the nature of the job hardest part dealing with customers all the time co workers were awesome plenty of hours always being asked to cover for someone
Pros
co workers overtime
Cons
busy