Town Pump

Town Pump Employer Reviews

productive and still enjoyable
Book Keeper (Current Employee), Shelby, MTDecember 6, 2014
arrive to work before most others and et my day started. As everyone arrives later that morning we stop and talk to see how each other has been. Once I have completed my responsibilities for the day I usually find someone else to help or find something else to do until quitting time.
Hotel Managerial Disaster
Hotel (Former Employee), MontanaNovember 8, 2014
Pros: quiet, clean atmosphere
Cons: everything else.
It is apparent that the managerial staff was hired directly as managers as they have no experience with the actually positions or running the actual business. Clearly they never worked in the positions for which they are managing. (i.e. - "You're doing it wrong" "Ok, how should I be doing it?" "I don't know, let me find someone who knows how to do it – more... right.")

Not only that, there seems to be an atmosphere of passing any issues off on employees when they are clearly managerial mistakes. That is so beyond unacceptable. In the actual job description it discusses taking responsibility for actions, which tells you right off the bat that it is an issue. The position and job itself would have been fine, but the lack of professionalism with management is absolutely ludicrous. The "gossip" that occurs is really frustrating as well. This is another thing that is posted directly in the job description: "Check it at the door/no gossip" If your employer tells you one of the job requirements is not to gossip, RED FLAG. The managers were the WORST at gossiping and bad talking employees to all the other employees. It erases credibility and creates a culture of zero respect.

There is also what seems to be 'setting employees up for failure' instead of striving to help them succeed. So much emphasis is placed on testing the employees under false scenarios in the hope that they fail and can be reprimanded. Its an absolutely uncomfortable atmosphere. From trying to delay an employee upon arrival so they clock-in late to placing fake phone calls which are intentionally meant to rattle employees... Yes, it all happens. You have to constantly be on guard, which is not a healthy work environment.

Also, there is a huge issue with managing for the sake of managing. Lists of tasks to be completed and signed for no reason, busy work, repetitive tasks that are unnecessary. There seems to be something new to sign everyday... simple notes like "I understand I will smile when guests arrive" Please Sign Below. "I understand that I will smile while on the phone." Please sign below. "I understand that I must mop at least once on my shift." Please sign below. Its as if the managers are simply trying to convince themselves that they are managing properly, while at the same time compiling signatures that can help to lead to a termination. All of these things really lead to a very uncomfortable and very insecure feeling in your work environment.

As a college educated employee with years of prior managerial and vast hotel management experience, I was treated as if I was a high school student who brought nothing to the table and my opinions and suggestions were brushed aside and disregarded. I have seen flaws in operations, yet my ideas seemed to be taken as threats to the managers security in their position. It is clear that they have their job security far more in mind than the success of the business.

I understand that Town Pump may be relatively new at the hotel industry, but as far as employees go... they are failing by treating hotel employees as if they were gas station attendants or casino workers. Different environment require different techniques. This is a huge oversight and failure on their part.

I feel so relieved that I have left and now work for a completely different hotel chain, where I am valued. I was offered the GM position (I was only offered a front desk employee with town pump and went from just over $8 and hour to a very comfortably salaried employee with incredible incentives and benefits) and have helped to create an incredibly successful hotel with employees who love coming to work. I set my employees up for success, not failure and always commend them for a job well done instead of looking for every opportunity to jump on mistakes that are, in the big picture, not a big deal.

My advice, look elsewhere for employment and my personal experience was negative at best. – less
boring
cashier (Former Employee), Kalispell, MTNovember 3, 2014
Was always boring to work at night there was nothing to keep me busy all night and i like to keep myself busy
Good
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Billings, MTOctober 31, 2014
Pros: co workers overtime
Cons: busy
fast paced extremely busy management is pretty good high turnover because of the nature of the job hardest part dealing with customers all the time co workers were awesome plenty of hours always being asked to cover for someone
Fun customer atmosphere
Customer Service / Cashier (Former Employee), Butte, MTOctober 14, 2014
Loved working with the public dad to day meeting there needs to make a comfortable place to visit.
productive workplace with hospitality
cashier/deli (Former Employee), butte montanaOctober 14, 2014
a typical day at work was helping others and prepairing food and learning new skills in a clean safe environment. The hardest part was learning the cash register but learn quick management was caring people the most enjoyable part was meeting and helping people.
engertic confusion
Marketing Merchandiser Manager (Current Employee), Marketing Merchadiser ManagerSeptember 5, 2014
Pros: set hours, weekdays scheaule
Cons: no lunch breaks, bad benifets, no discounts
My job has many parts to it . I have orders threw varies distributors. I deal with vendors daily. I love my vendors they are what has kept me at my job as long as I have been working with them to help create better sales going off weekly sales reports .My management has changed completely over the last year . my boss is from a smaller location and does – more... not understand the in and out of being able to create and manage a large crew and a much higher volume in sales location . She is the hardest part of my job to deal with I been at my location for 6years and I done every form of work there is to be done there I know almost every thing about the place and she does not it makes it frustrating to deal with . the most enjoyable part of my current job is my vendors I have great long lasting professional relationship they know my standards and what I expect and they work with me to come up with better ways to sell there product and what new things we may like to sell in the future – less
Great people
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Helena, MTApril 23, 2014
Pros: great people/co-workers
Cons: favortism and drama
Everything would be perfect if I could advance more. The people are great and my co workers make my day. I have advanced as much as I could but since they have no room for me they demoted me until a management opportunity opens.
Casino-Assistant Manager, Floor runner and Boookkeeper
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Columbia Falls, MTMarch 4, 2014
Customers were pleasant but company was very hard to work for. They were always looking for ways to write someone up and fire them. They had a poor turnover.
Town pump
Cashier/Deli Worker (Former Employee), Billings, MTFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: free soda
Cons: associates breaking rules and no consequences./ no lunch break.
The hardest part of my job was working with people that were under the influence Made my job difficult and unsafe.
fun
Cashier (Former Employee), Butte, MTFebruary 12, 2014
manager was not good mad work place not good will never work there again .
Great stepping stone to fine tune my management skills
Assistant Manager/M.I.T. Graduate (Current Employee), Shelby, MTFebruary 6, 2014
I learned more about customer service and employee displine than with any previous company
great customers great coworkers
Cashier (Former Employee), Billings MontanaDecember 25, 2013
Pros: always hiring
Cons: if non smoker recieved no breaks and were doing the majority of the work
Coworkers great people. most managers hard working some newer ones not so much I enjoyed working with the public and the hardest part was dealing with the constant childish gossiping
Bad attitudes poor leadership
Cashier (Former Employee), Deer Lodge, MTNovember 7, 2013
Pros: a small pay check
Cons: bad working inviorment
Worse job ever,Poor leadership.Never worked that hard for the bull that came with it and back stabing
Good Learning Experience
MERCHANDISER (Current Employee), Helena, MTSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: new learning opportunities
Cons: expensive benefit packages and no scheduled breaks allowed in a nine hour shift.
I have enjoyed working for this company. I appreciate the opportunity it has provided for me to learn new skills and experiences. It is a demanding job that utilizes my organizational, customer/vendor relationship, and critical thinking skills. I take pride in my job and it is shown through my dedication and performance. The company has a horizontal – more... hierarchy management structure, which is not conducive for introducing or implementing ideas or changes that would be beneficial for the company. The company experiences a high employee turn-over rate, which does not allow for the establishment of a cohesive team. – less
pleasant work environment and steady hours
Cashier/Gas attendant (Former Employee), Anaconda, MTAugust 20, 2013
Pros: free soda
Cons: not getting off work at the scheduled time
Plenty of work to do through out a shift working with customers. Fair work at a fair wage.
Book Keeper (Former Employee), Shelby, MTAugust 16, 2013
Pros: the district manager
Cons: store manager
I worked for Town Pump in Shelby, Montana on and off for a span of at least five years. I worked as a cashier and then as a book keeper. The manager for this store, ....was very moody,impatient, two faced, and insensitive, especially when it came to me having to leave work due to my cancer side effects or having to leave because of the illness. On plenty – more... of occasions she would vebally voice negative words about certain employees after she had tried to help their concerns in person, she would say something awful about them when they left the room. I found her to be diligent yet impatient and moody. She was always hiring friends of hers whetehr they were qualified or not...she would hire a friend over a qualified applicant. I give high praise however, to the district manager, She was always kind to me and concerned. She was always eager and willing to help all of us. – less
fun, mad friends, laughs.
Grocery Merchandiser (Current Employee), Missoula, MTMay 27, 2013
Pros: working with good people, all the laughs.
Cons: pulling many hours sometimes in one day.
I would run the tills and help customers, Also work my inventory of groceries and cigarettes. My co-works are great. The management is good they try to make everyone happy. The hardest part of my job was doing the ordering and putting it away, and the most enjoyable part of my job was getting to work with good people.
Learning experience on sales and marketing, enjoyable
Cashier (Former Employee), Dillon, MTMay 16, 2013
Pros: learned from several different areas of the store.
Cons: the manager at the time was a bit eradict.
I would show up to work and clean and cook hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken and various sandwiches and salads. I would authorize fueling at the pumps and sell items to customers such as tobacco products, drinks and the deli items that I had made or various other snack type items. I even learned the bookkeeping part of the store.
Stressful and Set you up to FAIL
Deli Manager (Former Employee), BonnerApril 12, 2013
Pros: decent pay
Cons: stressful, no training, bad management
I worked here for 3 years. When I was in the merchandising position I enjoyed my job very much but then I accepted the position for deli manager. I had no previous experience in food service or management and received no training. Despite how hard I worked I never once got my full bonus. The DM is nice in the beginning because they need the position – more... filled and then they are constantly on your back, expecting more and more out of you while giving you absolutely no support. The money is not worth the stress, I have never regretted walking away from this place and would never consider going back. – less