Town Sports International

Town Sports International Employee Reviews

Great experience
Professional Lifeguard/ Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Bayonne, NJJanuary 15, 2017
this was a great part time job. the company allowed you to work in different areas at the gym. the hours are very flexible. the staff is typical when comparing it to a typical cooperation.
Busy.
MemberShip Consultant (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJJanuary 14, 2017
Very busy working with members. Solving account issues while learning sales ethics. Management wasn't very steady while working there.
i liked fitness and cleanliness
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ossining, NYJanuary 5, 2017
i loved working here because i love fitness and cleaning/maintenance. management was reasonable and the environment was calm
Quick to learn
WELCOME TEAM MEMBER (Current Employee) –  34 W 14th st. New York, NY 10011January 4, 2017
In the beginning when i was first hired i was very excited to be involved with this company and i greatly looked forward to the prospect of moving up and becoming manager one day. It took me three years to earn my first promotion, by which i had already been given most of the responsibilities of the position to which i had been promoted. After a while I began to feel like moving up in the company was impossible, or at least not as worth it as i had intially thought when i was hired. In my current position i already have most of the responsibilities of a manager and I feel that managers in this company are overworked and underappreciated.I wish to move out and really show my abilities to lead and manage and bring the best out of everyone i work with,
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
Expensive benefits, no overtime, flawed commission system.
Philadelphia Sports Club
Receptionist/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Radnor, PADecember 31, 2016
I worked at two locations for this company. Neither seemed to have anything under control. We had a very quick and consistent turn over for managers and workers. Often I felt taken for granted and unappreciated. The facilities were filthy and my managers would consistently "pass the buck". All in all, it was a very frustrating work environment that I wouldn't recommend to anyone .
Poor Support
Customer Service / General Manager (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MADecember 30, 2016
Town Sports International/Boston Sports Club is a very business oriented environment that predominately focuses it's attention on the sales process. The work life balance is poor, in that most of management works 10-12 hour days in what can be a very stressful environment. There is little support from upper management and directors.
good job
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Waltham, MADecember 27, 2016
everybody there is good people and they have good character everybody loks out for you and good environment to be around pay is terrible but what can u do
Productive and fun work place
District Pool Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 21, 2016
New York Sports clubs was a great oppurtuntiy that help me delvop my experience. I enjoyed my time with them. A typical work day was anywhere between 8-9 hours. I learned how to effectively communicate with staff and consumer. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with children.
Pros
free gym membership
Cons
being on call 24 hours a day
Great employees
Swim Instructor (Current Employee) –  Ramsey, NJDecember 20, 2016
I've been working here for 4 years now and have met some really great people. The pay is good and the days go by quickly. My favorite thing about my job is being able to work with kids.
Pros
Great Employees
Cons
Doesn't close for snow storms
Not good...
CUSTOMER SERVICE AND RETENTION MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 9, 2016
So so so so so disconnected from their employees- you basically feel alone stuck on an island with no one to help you-- even your peers feel the need to turn against you because that's company culture.
fun environment fast pace amazing coworkers
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYDecember 8, 2016
Every day was challenged,I learn that no matter what happened in that place I have to do my job,I was the cleaning manager and I make sure that all my cleaning workers did their job,I enjoy going home after a good night of cleaning for the New York Spots Club
Pros
free membership
Cons
low pay long days sometimes working without lunch break no chance for advancement
Worst company
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 7, 2016
Been with the company for 5 year. Throughout those 5 years I see management come and go and company policy change every 6 months. The great the about it I wirk with an awesome team.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Management coming and going
Great job with minimal supervision
HVAC Technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 6, 2016
Great managers, make your own schedule, minimal supervision, various locations with different types of equipment at each location.
Pros
various locations
Cons
lots of walking, no vehicle
Poor management of clubs
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCDecember 4, 2016
Team members are not appreciated or valued by upper management. Experience of the employees is not that of a company that promotes work life balance.
Just Say No
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2016
This company is in trouble. Financially struggling. It is reflected in the way they treat all staff. Communication is horrendous. Group Exercise is comprised o seasoned talented instructors who are being pushed out for part time folks who want to teach for fun on the side. No benefits for staff at all. This is not the way you sustain yourself.
Pros
Cons
Where do I strt
Great place to work.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 22, 2016
Very nice place to work everyone is very friendly and professional it also helps that you're able to use their amazing gym for FREE. Managers are very helpful through the training process.
The environment at New York sports club has an awesome welcoming feeling as soon as you walk through their doors
Sales Manager/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 11, 2016
New York sports club has transitioned me to be the best I can be . The company has taught me how to be successful in a work place . The company helps you from all aspect not only mentally but physically .
Pros
Excersing, Healthcare
Cons
Need improvement on promotions
Good experience
Sales Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 9, 2016
Good job experience, lots of thing and tasks to do. Little pay and compensation. Lack for opportunity for advance within the company. No tangible benefits or appreciation.
Pros
Free gym. You can go and workout at any club.
Cons
No compensation for employees nor motivation from management.
Achieving goals
Key Accounts Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 5, 2016
Great place to work.

When I walk into walk, check and respond to emails, follow up on phone calls for set appointments, review projections to gauge how the team is managing. Call corporations to set appointment for off-site presentation. Take a break for a workout. Prepare to meet my afterwork customers for enrollment. Attend any meeting necessary for the day. Check on sister clubs and how our competitors are doing for the month.

Closing a sale entails introducing a prospective customer to a teammate. I do not remember any difficult part of the job, I found it pretty easy and a great workflow.
Pros
Ability to workout during lunch break
Accounting Clerk (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYNovember 3, 2016
If you like working 8 hours in a cubicle this job is for you. It can be a bit repetitive but you have something to do every day.

I've learned how to use different accounting systems and how to work in a team as well as working independently.

The hardest part of the job was learning their software but gets easy with time.

Co-workers were mostly new grads, great attitude.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Short breaks, not many opportunities for advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8