Town Sports International Employee Reviews

competitive
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 17, 2017
competitive work environment
worked more than 40 hours per week but wasn't paid for it
this position does all of the work for the company and is not fairly compensated
if you are looking for a job for a few months its a good position
not a company you want to stay to grow with
bad location, bad people
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Great Neck, NYOctober 9, 2017
The gym is located in a bad spot that doesnt provide parking to our thousands of members that we come in contact with everyday. The members in the area are rude and VERY disrespectful to the employees who are trying to help them.
Pros
great staff
Cons
location, parking, members
Great work atmosphere.
Fitness Instructor and Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 6, 2017
I enjoyed being a personal trainer. Loved interacting with others. Helping clients reach their fitness goals. The hours were flexible and nice as well. I truly enjoyed watching people change their bodies and health for the better. Was a great experience; not to mention the free gym membership it allowed me as a trainer to have.
Pros
Met so many outgoing great positive people
Cons
Management continued to quit or re locate so didn't always feel secure within the company.
its on your own learning
Welcome Desk Attendant (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYOctober 5, 2017
i basically have to do front desk activities. they do expect you to do everything and learn everything on your own rather than provide proper training.
Fun work environment
Personal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Princeton, NJOctober 3, 2017
Fun place to work and meet new clients for personal training sessions. Was also able to make my own schedule depending on the time my clients wanted to meet for sessions
Pros
Was able to make my own schedule
Cons
Compensation rate wasn't great
All about the money
General Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 29, 2017
While the company has a great product, the overall driving force is to make money and make memberships. Customer care is secondary. If you are not producing high revenue and reaching constantly raising goals, you are constantly being threatened with loss of job.
Pros
gym membership
Town Sports International
Membership sales/ Desk Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 28, 2017
It was a great company to work for, friendly, casual but no advance opportunity, gym benefits were great. Management not flexible with employee vacation request
Pros
friendly co workers
Cons
salary
gym was a great place to work
Personal Trainer Assistant/Front Desk Associate (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYSeptember 27, 2017
gym was great place to work. on my break bosses did not mind i would workout as long as i got back in time and did what needed to be done. my job was checking people in and sending them to sales associates if thats what was needed.
friendly environment
Membership Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 27, 2017
I Make calls and write emails to get leads.
I learned how to work in sales and also no how to respond with rejection. This environment is friendly. The hardest part of my job is to get leads due to location. The best part of my job is meeting new people and networking.
I prefer to not leave a summary
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Commack, NYSeptember 26, 2017
Although I worked at this company for 5 years and had many ups and downs. At this time I prefer to not leave a summary about experiences at New York Sports Club.
Excellent
Corporate Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 21, 2017
They promote from within the company, they train accordingly and they have excellent teams/ leaders. From the bottom of the spectrum ( gym locations) all the way up to the top (corporate office) they make sure that employees have access to all types of training events/ seminars and compensate jobs well done.
Very cutthroat company with very little room to advance
Membership Consultant (Former Employee) –  Wellesley, MASeptember 17, 2017
Making 50 plus calls a day and trying to make appointments and sales. very little direction or coaching. The workplace culture is very negative. There is no path to management from the sales position.
front desk
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
It was an okay environment. The morning's got crazy because of how many classes we had in the morning's. And also all of the issues they had with the gym's machines and everything that made that location a bad one.
Pros
Cons
barely days off
They lost their direction
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 12, 2017
No one is running the company, since the TSI was taken over they have eliminated all senior management with any fitness experience.
I am surprised they are still in business.
as being an employee you can work out for free
Front Desk Associate/ Sales Rep Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 7, 2017
It was a good learning experience and glad to have had the opportunity to work at the establishment because overall I learned that you can't be too nice to those you work with because we are there to do a job and it is about achieving customer satisfaction. staff should respect each other and work together as a team.
Pros
it taught me how to be a team player and i learned supervision skills
Cons
there was favortisms amongst the staff
Zero work/life balance for little compensation
Multi-unit Area Fitness Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 6, 2017
I would not recommend working for TSI management strictly because you will end up over worked, underappreciated, and severely underpaid. They favor males in compensation comparison and do not have the team members best interest in mind at all.
Simple and Fun Summer Job
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PASeptember 6, 2017
It was a good job with good pay as a summer job. I worked full-time and had my nights and weekends off while getting to work outside. Some things were run poorly by management though such as lack of communication and an unorganized atmosphere.
Pros
Work Outside, Played games with children, Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Stressed out colleagues over little things, poor communication from management
Family environment between employees
Membership Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 3, 2017
I loved my manager at Town Sports Intl. A typical day would start off with a call drive to your prospective members, followed by answering any emails you have. Follwing that, you should go prospecting for 1-2 hours daily, whether that be internal referrals from current members or dragging people into the club to give them a tour. You would meet the prospect at the front desk, bring them into your office to do a "Needs Evaluation", give them a tour, then pitch the sale.
had become uncomfortable work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAAugust 25, 2017
The most enjoyable part of my job was to be able to resolve a members issue while keeping the company guide-lines. a typical day; doing the best at my job every day with the resources provided.
Pros
gym at location-free, work hours
Cons
unhappy environment
Not a great place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Long Island, NYAugust 23, 2017
This place is sales driven, they expect you to come in on your days off without pay to make calls to get sales. Yes when you take a sales job you agree to sales, their deals aren't even competitive and they scam people out of money with their membership. So when you are selling you feel like a used car salesman. Then they don't explain the compensation package for your sales acutely, it's all a run around.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Town Sports International. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8