Town Sports International

Town Sports International Employer Reviews

Career Advancement, Good Pay, Great Environment
Club Support Position (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 24, 2014
Pros: career advancement, meaningful work
Cons: health benefits could be better!
If you are looking for a career in the fitness industry there is no better place than TSI. Many directors have started in club positions and advanced to corporate roles. The training and development and mentoring that I have seen here has been one of the main reasons for employee advancement.

The quick pace of the business has made me adaptable to – more... change and able to think quickly on my feet, increasing my skill set and making me valuable in other industries as well.

The people I work with are amazing: supportive, smart, and all committed to fitness and health! The work can be hard, but the product is rewarding. – less
Not a job for a seasoned professional
Program Manager (Former Employee), NY Metro AreaMarch 3, 2014
Pros: sure you can work out here!
Cons: but you can't because your bogged down by the end of your day
If you are a seasoned Manager you should stay away from this company. The real managers (meaning the regional & general mgr.) these two Managers will only use you as a full time employee pawn for their bottom line. The atmosphere here is sell 24/7 program & manage your staff on your time not theirs. Also their meeting with you are on a daily basis taking – more... an average of 1 hour each. So expect 2 hours of meetings daily. I was getting roughly 24 e-mails daily from them and the other sister regional clubs on non sense.

They expect you to outline your day with a daily action plan (DAP) and you would have to e-mail your agenda to them!!!
Just like a kid! God forbid you put down a dap that does make a sale for them...

If you don't meet their quotas/budget they don't get a bonus. If that happens they'll make you feel bad! Basically calling you & your staff buffoons! Also they expect you to make money for them on a daily, weekly & monthly basis no matter what it costs you. Expect to work the avg. of 60 hours a week. If you just do your 40 hours you will fall flat on your face.

Any of the Manager's position will require you to work 3 closeouts a month. Meaning you work an additional 3 hrs. 6-9pm. This is not an option. If you had to work additional hrs. that week or you are off on that day you must re-adjust your work schedule in order to sell on this day to make you quota for the month.

You will be Managing mostly part-timers who will for the most part just be interested in their bottom line. They also need to be a part of this closeout push in order to help make you hit the month. They are not obligated but you have to do your best as a Manager to ensure they partake in these events to help the program succeed.

So you as a Manager will work many times 9am-9pm on your own will and the next day due to close-out do it for the company 9am-9pm. They don't care if your tired or sick or foaming at the mouth from some type of disease!

There's a fast turn over rate around here for all positions and in there text book and in there philosophy they love to use that they have an open door policy. Meaning if you don't like being treated bad get the heck out!

As I said in the beginning if you're a seasoned manger do not work here! – less
since this whole moso we as trainer dont get paid for cancellation session yikes
Master Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: free membership which is common sense
Cons: the company is getting greedy by not letting th trainer recieve the rev split on a cancelled session
was a good company to work for when they had master trainer rates ect ect but when this whole model switch over to moso all the top trainer left the company and the fitness managers they destroyed the fun of higher education more certifications you have the more you useto get paid well not anymore especially with these personal training membership that – more... a person come once a month how lame is that HORRIBLE HORIBBLE!!! OUR TIME IS VALUABLE not to wait around and the person never shows up and we get nothing i mean NOTHING!!! – less
Productive work place with a few laughs here and there.
Welcome Team Member (Current Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 18, 2014
Pros: free membership to all locations
Cons: the amount for health insurance
A typical day at work is smooth for the most part. The customer (member) is always right and they are pretty friendly for the most part. My co-workers are great to work with.
productive
Facility Assistant (Current Employee), Elmsford, NYJanuary 16, 2014
a man's job and very easy work if you focus.
friendly
have to be hands on
don't depend on others
Housekeeper - equal opportunity Slave drivers !
housekeeper- clean team (Former Employee), chalfont paJanuary 1, 2014
Pros: free gym membership - alot of people to network with - make friends -local brewery
Cons: micro management, poor pay, abusive leadership, hard work demanding work.
I was once a employee at the chalfont sports club , this place was run so poorly it was something you would see in a movie ! as a house keeper at highpoint - you will only earn min wage which $7.25 per house or at best 8 dollars an hour- 8 dollars an hour is the salary cap LOL ... my advice for a new house keeper applying to the chalfont location would – more... be only work evening shifts day shifts they want you to clean the 200 thousand sqaure foot club ASAP, you will have to run towels, clean cardio machines Trash, heavy hard labor , anything management wants they beat the brakes off ya no problem ! Also dont forget to clock out for your 30 min break they need that 4 bucks... Fact is Day shift is terrible also you will be they only housekeeper on day shift so not worth it management has low-jack on you during day just letting you know - ...... - Now evening shift is a little different and this is why most evening shifts are 3-9 or so management will leave around 6 or 7 at night depends .. when they leave you can do basic stuff like towels and few trash cans you dont have to work yourself like an abused work horse so you will have 2 hours or so just to kick back go at a slower pace/ realistic pace so to say ! plus there is a great bar very close by as well other attractions
if you take the evening shift that is a perk ! – less

18hj948r85ncgb1v – February 24, 2014

I use to work at Philly sports chalfont Pa, the Housekeeping department is very hard work I would say housekeeping at PSC chalfont Pa is by far the most demanding work out of any job at the club, you are on your feet walking and working non stop your whole shift I worked at the front desk at PSC but sometimes would sub for clean team. the work they want you to do is to demanding for min wage they need to pay a clean team member at least 10-12 dollars at the chalfont PSC, and maybe they would get more steady employees,I highly recommend not applying for clean team !!

sales
Membership Consultant/Fitness Coach (Former Employee), Jersey City, NJDecember 23, 2013
Pros: free gym
Cons: no money
The potential was there but the leardership was corrupt. the GM wqas stealing from the employees.
Excellent Experience
Membership Consultant (Current Employee), Boston, MADecember 11, 2013
Introductory sales job with management responsibilities. You are in control of your own business and how much you make. Greatly increased communication and negotiation skills. Always learning and definitely a great way to get in to sales.
A motivating and Inspiring environment to work in.
Personal Trainer/ Fitness Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 11, 2013
Pros: setting your own schedule
Cons: inconsistancy in business
A typical day at work involves preparing the fitness floor for drills and exercise and then executing energizing and motivating Personal Training sessions for clientele. I learned the value of organizational skills and the increased benefits it has on productivity. Management has an open door policy and is always willing to help develop and assist staff – more... as well as members. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the inconsistency of the business. What I enjoy most is the interaction I have with my clients and co- workers. I can not think of any other environment where I would have the opportunity to interact with such a diverse group of people. – less
Fun and productive place to work
FRONT DESK ASSOCIATE (Former Employee), Manhattan, NYDecember 10, 2013
On a typical day at work I would greet members as well as all guests entering and leaving the facility in addition to manage all front desk duties (answered calls, managed cash register, opened the gym in the mornings, signed members in, directed prospective members to sales reps). I learned to be very energetic and friendly in this job. My co workers – more... were very easy going and always helped when in need. The most enjoyable part of this job were the members; they made this job not a job at all. – less
Good Start
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Somers, NYNovember 6, 2013
Pros: culture
Great place to start your sales career. I would suggest to anyone looing to get started with sales.
Decent workplace if you get in the right position.
Housekeeper (Former Employee), Carmel, NYOctober 4, 2013
Pros: free gym membership, flexible breaks
Cons: minimum wage, no chance for a promotion
I worked for the New York branch for almost six years as a housekeeper. And not once have the elevated me to a higher position. If you get into the position of "housekeeper", then I hope you don't mind sticking to cleaning up after a bunch of snobby members. And that will most likely intentionally leave behind dirty towels, sweaty machines, etc. And – more... not to mention minimum wage. They do offer medical benefits if you put in enough hours of full time. But they may bump you down to part time right before you put enough time in, like they did me.

The only thing that kept me there was the free gym membership. Working out helped with the stress. Another thing that kept me there for years was that I thought there would be a silver lining for me if I put in my time and worked hard. But there was none. – less
Many Pros and Cons
Mid Senior Level Executive - General Manager (Former Employee), Boston, MAAugust 16, 2013
More good than bad. This is all i have to say about it. I don't have time to write more and i don't think it's fair you are forcing me to.
Horrible Company!
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), New YorkAugust 11, 2013
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: poor benefits, low salary, no appreciation for good employees
There is no possible way to balance work and personal life. They make promises of advancement and when u follow through on your end, they come up with another excuse to not follow through. I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy!
Horrible Company!
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee), New YorkAugust 11, 2013
Pros: free gym membership
Cons: poor benefits, low salary, no appreciation for good employees
Just Ok
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Deer Park, NYAugust 5, 2013
Not exactly room to grow, company began hiring outside of the company for higher positions while kept adding more pressures to their sales force. Poor at adapting to change.
Great Start off Job
Member Service Supervisor (Former Employee), Chalfont, PAAugust 5, 2013
Very great place to work.. free gym membership, great people to work with
great networking
Certified Personal Trainer/Group Instructor (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 18, 2013
A typical day for me consist of teaching 2-3 classes (Zumba, Shred, Abs, etc.) When I started with the company I did personal training and decided to transition to teaching classes when I began personal training privately outside of town sports international. In a typical class, I get to reach 30-50 people, help them achieve their goal and build many – more... relationships. Teaching a group of students and bringing in different people together for one common goal of fitness is the most enjoyable part of this job. The hardest part is the physical activity that I put my body through on a day to day basis as I do motivate my class by doing all of the workouts with them. No pain no gain!
Management in the gyms tends to change often as I feel they don't want anyone to become to comfortable with each other. It doesn't affect me as much since I work out of several locations and I have a direct management contact via email.
These last few years have given me some great fitness experience. Not only does my knowledge of fitness and exercise grow every day but I also have assisted fitness managers in their work and learned their positions. I am very familiar with the similarities and differences between personal training/personal training management and group exercise/group exercise management.
Overall town sports international has given me the opportunity to learn a lot about how fitness industry. Town sports has given me the confidence to move on and succeed further in fitness. – less
not as they say
confidential (Former Employee), confidentialJune 24, 2013
Cons: turnover of experienced club managers/operators
High performing, experienced and ethical club management turnover that clearly a sign of the ovious culture.

If you are reading this, and still apply,
Well plan on being an above statistic.
Fast pace environment
General Manager (Current Employee), Monmouth Junction, NJMay 20, 2013
Daily flow schedule, hitting quota every month, managing budgets.

1 2 3

About Town Sports International

Town Sports International Holdings, Inc. (TSI Holdings) is an operator of fitness clubs in the northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions – Read more