Town Sports International

Town Sports International Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Child Care Worker / Front Desk (Former Employee), Nashua, NHJune 10, 2015
Pros: Very understanding Boss, Great clients
Cons: got bought out. They got rid of my postion.
Great place to work. Was aloud to bring my five year old for swimming. Great co. workers. Great amazing Boss. Worked in a great Hotel.
boooo
Receptionist (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 9, 2015
Pros: free membership
Cons: money hungry
The company is too money hungry and does not serve its customers the way they should. They should focus more on pleasing the customers.
good advancemt opportunities
Fitness Manager (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 8, 2015
managed perosnal training staff in order to build personal training revenue. help with every day club needs. good advancemt opportunities
Productive and exciting!
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Lexington, MAJune 4, 2015
Pros: Watching clients succceed
Cons: Sales
A typical day at BSC is a fast pace and fun environment. I've learned that personal training is a very involved career that starts in the gym, but I still have work to do for my clients when I get home. I provide them with workout plans and a nutritional diet to follow when they aren't working with me. The management is very attentive but they allow us to run our business how we please. I enjoy working side by side with my co-workers because we all try and support each other. The hardest part of my job is the sales end of it where you try and sell a package that may be very pricey. The way I handle it though is to prove why I'm worth it. I have the education and experience to back myself up. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching my clients succeed in their goals they set out for!
Dead End
System Support Administrator (Current Employee), Elmsford, NYJune 1, 2015
Pros: Free coffee and cake.
Cons: Lack of appreciation, lack of job growth, low pay, misleading!
Many of the employees here at Town Sports International are recent college graduates, who are hired as temporary workers via an outside agency, Accountemps. Unfortunately, these workers (myself included) are lured into believing that they are hired as real-life experience into the accounting/finance profession.

Only to find out, they are only used as workers to carry out mundane, tedious, and repetitive tasks which require little to no skill. Their college degree pays no part, which further exhibits why no interview is required for them before they join the company. The external recruiter makes the call to these candidates, and tells them they can start tomorrow (I was at the gym when this happened).

Temp workers are shown no appreciation, and given no value. They are misled into believing that they will be hired full-time after three months. This is a LIE, and manipulation tactic the recruiters use to get these spots filled up. Many temp workers have been working there for six months to a year already, at a very low, embarrassing rate, with no prospect for a raise at all. There lies absolutely no growth for these employees, which explains the very high turnover rate and low work morale. Additionally, temps are also requested to work on the weekends and late hours on the weekdays, to fulfill the mundane, low-skilled tasks with their supervisors nowhere to be found.
Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYJune 1, 2015
Management demanding you to come in for meetings, stay for extra hours without pay. Company rules & regulations change every month.
Good Management club management, but poor club culture
Personal Trainer (Current Employee), Montclair, NJMay 30, 2015
The Town Sports International heads seem to be more concerned about sales than anything else. The turn over rate is really high, I worked with at least 10 new people in a 5 month span, most of whom quit and found work elsewhere. The club manager really helped me with my struggles, but there was always drama and nobody seemed like they really wanted to work there, because nobody was really appreciated.
Little guidance and training
Fitness Instructor (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 18, 2015
Town Sports International did little to train or guide their employees but relied heavily on false numbers in gyms and classes.
relaxed environment
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), Elmsford, NYMay 15, 2015
Cons: short breaks
Its a comfortable place to work I like that nobody really bothers you. They also have a decent break room with a massage chair just in case you get stressed out.
it was ok
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Garden City, NYMay 14, 2015
at 1st it was great then my boss started acting weird. from there everyone started qutting and i couldnt figure out why then i realized it was because my boss was crazy.
Fun work environment
Corporate Account Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 7, 2015
Pros: Free membership
Cons: No cons at this time
I enjoy working with this company. It is fun and management is great. We are encouraged to work out and stay healthy.
We also have company events that are fun.
Gym
Maintenance Cleaner (Current Employee), Springfield, NJMay 6, 2015
I clean exercise equipment and gym area I enjoy meeting new people my co- workers are awesome hardest part is dealing with lazy workers
Is a okay place to work.
Group Fitness Instructor (Current Employee), Group fitness instructor,May 6, 2015
Is a good place to get experience and exposure. It's fun because they have lots of locations and you can move around . I have learned in over the years that you cant please everybody but always give your best. Management is okay !
Excellent starting positions
Front Desk Associate (Current Employee), Providence, RIMay 5, 2015
Sales roles are driven around different market areas depending on club location. Most co-workers are fun to be around and are very supportive. Management can be a little difficult to deal with in terms of regional. The best part of the job is the networking it opens up.
Terrible Company
General Manager (Former Employee), Livingston, NJApril 30, 2015
Pros: members
Cons: everything especially pay
They are only concerned about numbers and not the staffing, they will degrade their employees in my opinion and absolutely do not pay for the workload they give
Great Place to Work
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 27, 2015
I enjoyed training at NYSC. Staff is friendly and they compensate well per hour. Company will increase compensation as certs increase.
New York Sports Club
Sales Consultants (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 3, 2015
It was a very good, high pace environment and my co-workers are very good...I got promoted twice but if there is any problem I had is that Upper Management were very cheap and did not help the general managers whatsoever and I was laid off due to that...that being said, it is a very good company to work for as long as you don't make a career out of it
Good Office experience
Billing Admin (Current Employee), Elmsford, NYApril 2, 2015
I have learned so much in my time with Town Sports International but it is time to move forward in my career. The benefits are non-existent compared to others companies.
learning experience
Sales & Trainer (Former Employee), Clifton, NJMarch 30, 2015
Pros: everything
Cons: lack of acknowledgement
Find me here, in the bottom basement studio mid-week trying to smile my exhausted grimace away- performing burpies, holding single-arm-leg planks and squatting low in one of the fantastic (but yes, rigorous) morning classes.

I must also say this branch has my favourite reception staff! Everyone is so friendly here it really helps when I stumble in at 6.45am to hear their genuine greeting- thanks guys really appreciate it.
Poductive and exciting place to be
Baby sitter / Clean Team / Front Desk (Former Employee), Newark, NJMarch 16, 2015
Pros: meeting life long friends
Cons: position held
very friend;y people orientated enviorment. Great energy for a gym. Co workers were very enthuas to motivate clients to push harder and acheive fitness goals. seem like one big happy family.
Headquarters