Town Sports International

Town Sports International Employee Reviews in United States

Fair
Floor trainer/Front Desk Representative (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 31, 2016
Fun work place . Positives attitudes. Motivated to do better things. Had a lot of fun there. was very flexible and fair. Good company , clean environment.
Bsc
Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAMay 3, 2016
BSC was a miserable experience. I don't appreciate their management style. It was hard to get hours and I didn't feel that my concerns were being heard. I have to say the compensation was more than I expected.
Multitasking
Welcome Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lexington, MAJune 1, 2016
Job required multitasking and communication skills
First point of contact
Answering phones
Scheduling
Transferring calls
Pros
Meeting many members
Cons
Lack of breaks
Great place to build social skills
Membership Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 18, 2015
I loved the day to day interactions with clients to achieve fitness life goals that they want to reach. Helped me to develop client relation management skills. By far the most fun I have had with helping people accomplish there fitness goals. Taught me how to effectively overcome objections. Great sales experience with cold calling and generating new leads. Great place to learn how to retain clients. Great incentives to make the money you want with reasonable goal setting requirements. Commission based atmosphere .
Pros
Working out at the gym. Meeting New faces
Cons
prices changing monthly, driving away old clients with new clients to accommodate competition prices in nearby gyms
Friendly environment
Front Desk Receptionist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
A regular day at work. I made a lot of friends at work with my co workers. The most enjoyable part of my job is working independently and as a team.
Great Work Environment
Membership Consultant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYApril 11, 2016
Meeting amazing members on a daily basis, great staff and management crew and a friendly and positive work invironment.
Pros
Great co-workers and gym members
Cons
No room for growth
Nysc
Lead Customer Service Rep. and Sales (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 14, 2016
good job while in college, low pay, management is not the best, not very organized. No union, No holiday pay, no benifits, no nothing.
Pros
nothing
poor management and abusive managers
Membership Coordinator (Former Employee) –  23 st park ave sMay 10, 2016
Do not work here. terrible conditions. poor management discriminatory, abusive managers, minimum wage, i hated every minute
A nice place to work
Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chalfont, PAJune 6, 2016
A nice place to work
Always enough work to keep you occupied for a full days work.
Compitent staff and talented trainers.
Town Sport International
Fixed Asset Accountant (Former Employee) –  Elmsford, NYApril 8, 2016
Learned a lot, based on my role. Always busy, never a dull moment. Needs improvement in Oracle systems, and reporting to run smoothly on a month basis.
Great Atmosphere
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 25, 2016
The corporation is great for growth and improvement , they want you to be successful and move up within other than hiring outside.
Fun workplace and always unpredictable.
Staff (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYFebruary 25, 2016
A typical day's work as a front desk employee at NYSC Town Sports International would be to check members in, update their billing information, pitch sales advertisements to potential clients in person and on the phone. This job provided a good learning experience in customer service, as our main goal was to attain their satisfaction through doing our job properly. Management made it difficult at times for us because we didn't have clearance or authority to perform actions such as cancel a membership or correct billing problems and they were often out of the office or refusing to help the customer at the given moment. As the front line, we took the brunt of this, when in reality we really couldn't help resolve the issue.
The hardest part of the job would be dealing with members who try to tell you how to do your job and what the policies of the club were. This required me to politely inform the member or customer what the policy stood as and that they could talk to a manager if they would like to.
Pros
Free gym membership
Cons
No breaks.
great workplace with great potential to do more.
Fitness Trainer and class instructor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 16, 2015
Everything about my job i love! Specially every time someone tells me how i have changed their life! Thats why i do this!
all the trainers are taken care of as soon as they walk through the door when they are first hired. they go through a long process of classes to make sure we are a high performance team and that we know exactly what we are doing as trainers with our members.
Every trainer gets along with everyone and there is a great team spirit.
As far as things i don't like here well there isn't much t all if any.
I can just say it can always be a bit more organized.
There really isn't anything hard about my job at all. I love everything i do so it is like getting paid for fun.
The most enjoyable part of my ob is doing it!
Pros
very busy
New atmosphhere
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 21, 2016
Working 9 hours a day working with customers. Always something new to do each month. Different locations for multiple opportunities, and some room to grow.
Competitive work environment with individual freedom
Certified Personal Trainer, Freelance (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 17, 2016
Excellent environment for those wishing to train and help individuals with the use of a range of machines. Particularly geared towards those who subscribe to cross fit workouts.
You learn so much, but the office politics is more upsetting than most jobs.
sales consultant (Former Employee) –  5 penn plazaDecember 8, 2015
You learn a lot about business, and the sales experience is invaluable. Great people to work with, but the management is constantly playing games since the company is losing money.
Pros
Strong sales culture, and meet a lot of different people.
Cons
Office politics
Sinking ship
Member Services & Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 31, 2016
Horrible place to work horrible management the company is falling apart !!!! What was once a respected company is now garbage !!!
Productive environment but travel was too far
Director of Fitness (Former Employee) –  Somerville, MAOctober 26, 2015
A typical day started with emails and phone calls to return after greeting staff and members. Conference calls, assessments, trainer meetings and sales goals were a daily routine. The hardest part of the job was the travel making my days easily 15-16 hours on top of a 10 hour shift. I enjoyed the professional environment and would like to be part of a professional team again.
Pros
Gym membership
Cons
travel
facility tech
Facilities maintenance technician (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2016
First day i started did not get a tour of all my clubs to learn where electrical panels are emergency water shut offs ext. ( i still remember what my supervisor said do you have gps, i said yes he said here are your clubs go introduce yourself to general managers and get to work

Typical work day is bouncing around to different clubs getting pulled into all directions.

you must already have a good background in facility maintenance not much hands on experience or training.

Co-workers are good but management is horrible, more then half of the supervisors i have never met in person only receive emails from time to time concerning member feed backs.

Hardest part of the job is there is no support from upper management.

have to use own truck company only reimburses 33 cents a mile after filing report wait 3-4 weeks before you see in pay check. Supervisors either have no clue or don't care about work load. no supervisor help. anything that goes wrong at clubs falls onto the techs
Cons
No raises, no advancement no future at this company please do not waste your time here like i did.
Challenging yet, great!
Welcome Team (Former Employee) –  Bayonne, NJFebruary 21, 2016
All areas I worked in, I love greeting Clients, Setting up Parties, Playing with Children during the Children's Birthdayet y Party,
Pros
Working with Children

2.8