Town Sports International

Town Sports International Employer Reviews

Tons of Policies from the 1960s
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 17, 2014
This is my personal experience and opinion of the branch I worked for. The job started out exciting and I learned a lot on how to sell personal training sessions. I also made a lot of connections and built a steady clientele over time. Co-workers were friendly and supportive. Everything was going fine until I kept getting hassled for trivial matters. The company has many policies that protect itself but not the personal trainer. Most of the policies hold a personal trainer back from generating business through more creative means. They also wanted me to get ACE certification while I had NASM and wouldn't reimburse me for the education expense. I knew better than to spend the money for a pointless cert. In the end, I left the company that was not supportive at all to their trainers and I couldn't be happier. You wouldn't want to work for this company either if you get punished for the few times you are late 5 mins to work, when you normally stay a lot longer for unpaid hours. You do all the work and the company takes a large chunks of it.
Time here well spent
Membership Consultant / Front desk (Current Employee), Nanuet, NYNovember 16, 2014
Love it here!! free fitness access couldn't be a much greater thing!

Pay is great and love the clients
People matter
Exercise Manager-Group Exercise Instructor (Current Employee), New york, New YorkNovember 12, 2014
Pros: members, group exercise classes, personal training
Cons: culture, professionalism
There is no typical day within a NYSC except that you must be high energy and able to handle the various membership issues that will arise on a daily basis. Making the members happy is top priority. The people that work within New York Sports Clubs are by far some of the best people I've had the opportunity to meet and work with. The hardest aspect of employment with NYSC is the rapid change which is the primary consistent within the organization. Membership interaction is absolutely the most enjoyable part of the job/jobs I've done within the company.
Very busy fast paced gym
Fitness Director/Certified Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Stamford, CTNovember 7, 2014
worked around 40hrs a week managing my staff and training clients

I learned to fine tune my teaching, sales and customer service skills.

Upper management was supportive

my staff/co-workers were great

The most enjoyable part of my job was making a huge difference in peoples lives
Corporate dropped the ball.
General Manager, Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Boston, MANovember 7, 2014
All clubs are ran differently. This causes the brand to suffer.
Great atmosphere but poor management
Welcome Receptionist (Current Employee), Smithtown, NYNovember 5, 2014
Pros: members are extremely friendly. facility is clean. great place for health and wellness
Cons: short or no breaks. full-time hours with part-time pay and benefits.
Enjoyed going into work on a daily basis. Members as well as co-workers are enjoyable to be around, some are now current friends of mine. Management was exceptional besides the current General Manager, who does not do his job properly. Discussed my outstanding work with managers and regional directors about promotions and was never offered.
Company ios not keeping up with its competition
General Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYNovember 4, 2014
Pros: working in a gym
Cons: work life balance, pay, impossible bonus structure
Low cost providers and competitors with newer and nicer facilities are squeezing this company for every member they have.
General Manager (GM) (Current Employee), Livingston, NJOctober 11, 2014
New York Sports Clubs is a fantastic place to work and after eights I am looking for additional advancement. Unfortunately, there are constant restructures that hinders the advancement process.
Absolutely awful
Fitness Program Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 2, 2014
The worst working experience that I have ever had. I was in middle management. Senior management micro managed and expected those of us on the Supervisor level to treat staff like 2nd class citizens. Senior management treated subordinates like they had no brain. Senior management often bullied those beneath them. If I never work at this place again, it will be too soon. I wish I could erase this experience from my memory.
Fun and encouraging work enviroment
Welcome Team/Babysitter (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 26, 2014
-A typical day at NYSC starts at 5:15am for me. I greet returning members before their workouts and welcome new guests and members into our club. When the time is needed I can offer and new advice or facts about the club/healthy lifestyle.
-Management takes our mission very seriously and we run by the book. All rules must be followed on a daily basis or there will be consequences.
-My co-workers have become a second family and we all help one another out no questions asked because at the end of the day were all trying to make our club #1 and the best place to be for our members
-The hardest part of my job would be having to deal with customers with bad attitudes. Most people take their problem out on the first person they see as they walk into the club which happens to be me. I will do everything in my power to help them reach their goal of that day but there is only so much I can do from my level. At the end of it all I wish I could be able to do more so I do not seem useless in someone else's eyes.
-My favorite part of my job is being able to see members everyday and being able to put the first smile on their face and help them get a great start to a hopeful great day!
Great Compensation for Fitness Sales
Lead Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Boston, MASeptember 24, 2014
One of the best in the region for compensating fitness sales. Can't speak much to the compensation for other positions. All employees are salaried, so days can become long and tedious. Environment is upbeat, but advancing ones career can be difficult as management tends to keep their positions for several years.
no work/life balance, inconsistent policies
Membership Consultant (Former Employee), Wellesley, MASeptember 22, 2014
very social place to work but horrible management, co-workers constantly varied, you need no ethics or morals to work there, no life
Fun and energetic work place
Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Bronx, NYSeptember 18, 2014
Loved working with co workers to create clients programs. I was able to make my own schedule and worked at my pace.
Housekeeping (Clean Team Member)
Housekeeping Attendant (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYSeptember 11, 2014
Pros: free gym meme\bership.
Cons: pay
The job is pretty simple and straightforward. Not the most prestigious job in the world, but it is something to have when you need a few extra bucks in your pocket. The co-workers are pretty cool, and management is pretty laid back. JUST DO YOUR JOB!
NYSC
Internship / Personal Trainer (Former Employee), Dobbs Ferry, NYSeptember 3, 2014
Learned a lot. This is what started me off on a successful path in my fitness career.
very fun work enviroment
Sales / Personal trainer (Former Employee), New York, NYAugust 23, 2014
a typical day at work is filled with excitement joy and had work.
Great Place to Start Career
AP Clerk (Former Employee), Elmsford, NYAugust 21, 2014
Pros: free gym membership
Most employees are overworked though there is definitely room for growth and good managers know your worth.
Fitness environment is amazing, learning on the job
Fitness Consultant (Former Employee), Englewood, NJAugust 19, 2014
Get to stay fit on the job, Love seeing new workouts and you never know who you will meet
Fun Front desk, Computers, Towels to roll.
Welcome Team (Current Employee), New York, NYAugust 5, 2014
Pros: no free lunch
Cons: no breaks
-Model and promote the mission, value the guidelines through my experience
- Engage in opportunities that positively impact the member experience
-Greet and acknowledge every member who enters and exits the club.
-Scan all member,guest and employee key tags, ensuring all vendors sign the logbook
-Ask members/guests for photo ID if they don’t have their key tag
-Be aware of all club issues, events or schedule changes and politely
-Communicate with members and ensure next shift is made aware of general status and all unresolved issues
-Answer telephone on first ring in a friendly, professional way, using the standard greeting, answering all, questions efficiently and directly to appropriate person
A fun workplace that combinesd my two passions; health and fitness and business management.
Membership Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Somers, NYAugust 4, 2014
Town Sports International gave me the opportunity to sharpen my customer service skills.

About Town Sports International

Town Sports International Holdings, Inc. (TSI Holdings) is an operator of fitness clubs in the northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions – Read more

Town Sports International Photos