Townsquare Media Employee Reviews

Sales Driven Company
RADIO & DIGITAL ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Former Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJune 18, 2017
AT&T provides its employees with amazing over the top customer service skills that they can utilize for the rest of their career with any company. Though by now Verizon has surpassed them (surprisingly) I am grateful for my training.
Pros
Training, Pay
Cons
Work life balance
good manager, and good work
Worker (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAJune 17, 2017
I worked when they need extra help building a few attractions for a community event, and they had me working with 3 other guys to build everything, It was good work and the boss was a good manager who would help you out if needed and was very understanding
Pros
good manager
Cons
Hard physical work
Townsquare Sucks
Promotions Coordinator/On Air Talent (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJune 6, 2017
Not a radio company. They are a digital company who uses radio stations to enhance their online presence. They don'e treat their employees very well either.
Great company
Graphic Design/Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJune 5, 2017
This was a great experience for me as an intern. It was my first internship and everyone was very friendly and encouraging. I was able to get the exposure and experience I needed to succeed while also having fun!
Fun place to work with good people.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJJune 3, 2017
Townsquare Media was a good internship experience for me and could be for anybody interested in getting into the field. Good exposure to daily AP/AR and also some interesting things to learn about the radio business.
Great products, difficult to acquire new business
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJMay 31, 2017
I believe in the product, but with 25+ years in sales experience, I found it difficult to find new business. Many large accounts are already taken and smaller accounts are harder to promote to and pay far smaller commissions.
6 radio stations and web sites. Only 3 are strong. 4 veteran reps and churn of new beyond that... tough with drive-by management from afar
Director of Sales (Current Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMay 23, 2017
6 stations and web sites. 4 veteran reps and churn of new beyond that but proud to have recruited and developed a couple more keepers! Tough with drive-by management from afar. GM turnover galore. Top two execs (GM & DOS) spots are overly scrutinized. The market is very competitive in Lubbock with saturation of other media (due to Texas Tech and 230k population). Enjoy working here overall.
Pros
Fun team, DJ's and all the antics
Cons
Endless turnover at GM level, zero tolerence for missing goals
Could be a great place to work, but isn't
Programming (Former Employee) –  Windsor, COApril 30, 2017
Everything is there for this workplace to be amazing-- the casual environment, the amazing experiences (meeting rock stars!), but management, compensation, and a lack of understanding of employees gets too in the way.

Raises are not offered to those despite years and years of hard work and formal requests, so make sure you're coming in at a number you're comfortable at for years to come. Management is disorganized and, to be honest, a little shady in their business practices. Money is seen as king-- which, we get it, it's important-- but radio and the quality we're putting out each day should be the most important thing, to me.

Staffing a station takes months, if not longer. On-air talent doesn't last very long and is hard to work with (the egos are INSANE, they can make your life very difficult), but management doesn't care as long as they show up every day. Talent also switches shifts like crazy so listeners end up confused and ratings suffer. No one likes to deal with conflict so in-office issues are left not dealt with and problems simmer under the surface.

The turnover rate here is high and the GM is disrespected across the community. Use this company as a stepping stone/resume builder, and nothing else.
Pros
Cool experiences, freedom with daily schedule, casual environment
Cons
No opportunities for growth, terrible management, lack of professionalism
Hard but fun work with great people.
Builder\Talent (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAApril 20, 2017
Creative and hard work. A wonderful chance to use so many different skills. I would come back every year for the chance to do it again. As a lover of Halloween and haunted house's this was the greatest job.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
Seasonal
Some days a fun workplace others a dull workplace.
Intern (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYApril 19, 2017
I enjoyed helping out with live events and concerts. I enjoyed doing the work for that side of the job.

But completely jobs that my supervisors didn't want to do was dull and boring. Being the receptionist too felt like a punishment.
some great people...
N/A (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2017
I was lucky to be paired with a such great team. Management however seems a bit out of touch...

TSM owns some great entertainment properties. They however are very much into selling audiences as opposed to big ideas and strategy, and may need to evolve to keep up with the rest of the marketing/advertising industry.
Pros
Snacks, some good people
A typical day at Townsquare Media
Retail Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Tyler, TXMarch 21, 2017
We begin each day with a meeting as well as at the end of the day. I learned that there's a lot of production behind the scenes for radio. We were in the middle of changing over all of our major accounting, production and scheduling programs, so I got to learn both. You had to be very independent and a self started with creative ideas. Management was not ready available to go over accounts and there was quiet a bit of break down in communication. The people I worked with were great and the live events were a lot of fun to work and attend. The hardest part of the job was getting someone to sign on off on a new sales presentation and the fact that it was 100% commission and some commissions were not paid for 90 days.
Pros
Concerts & Live Events
Cons
100% commission and lack of support from management
Love the job, Love the culture, not well-compensated
Producer/Promotions Assistant/Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIFebruary 27, 2017
Townsquare is perhaps the most fun company I've ever worked for. I get to do the job that I love, most of the time, and the people that I work with are diverse and rich in character. Unfortunately, I don't get the hours that I need, and even though I've got several hats (producer, fill-in production director, board operation, promotions assistant, receptionist/office management) I still make minimum wage with no benefits and an hour cap. I can understand how, without knowing my work history, this may seem like an entitled position. But I'm confident in my work and receive positive feedback on the quality of my work quite regularly. There's a part-time ceiling that is difficult to break through regardless of qualification.
Pros
Great people, rewarding work
Cons
inadequate compensation, limited room for growth
Potential for Great Things
Sales (Current Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 22, 2017
Mid-sized company, with quick growth to this point. Expanded itself to now having to decide who they want to be, and how to get there. Lots of strong assets. Smart people in leadership position, not necessarily in the right roles.
Pros
Smart people in leadership positions
Cons
NO 401K Match... Weak benefits
Townsquare Media is a young, flourishing company to work for.
Assistant Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Wichita Falls, TXJanuary 2, 2017
There are different positions at Townsquare Media from Business Department, Sales Department, Traffic Department, Production Department, and much more. The company as a whole works together and most everyone is willing to assist where they can, if it is in their own market or for another market.

Working for a company that is growing and advancing in the new tech world, there is a lot to learn. They are moving in a direction of the future. It is a challenging job no matter what department you are a part of but the knowledge gained is tremendous.
Pros
Flexablity
Cons
Miscommunication between Departments at times
No raise in 12 years
Air Talent (Former Employee) –  MichiganDecember 9, 2016
If you love your job and the people you work with that's all you have. The previous 2 owners didn't give raises either. It's the sad state of radio today. Investors and the money they crave are more important than any employee. You work for Wall Street. Ask for a raise and they almost laugh at you. I worked at the radio station almost 30 years. Townsquare took over 2 years ago and it looked encouraging after disappointments from the previous radio group. Worst experience ever. Management seem so strange. They eliminated the job position due to lack of sales.....I was out! No communication, no encouragement, no respect for employees, just more work. It's sad they don't know how to treat people right and have fun in radio.
Pros
Nice facilities
Cons
No raises, no praises, no advancement
Hours weren't guaranteed
Promotions Tech/Board Operator (Former Employee) –  El Paso, TXNovember 10, 2016
Very fun place to work and great experiences working in radio. Unfortunately, current industry struggles make it hard to get good pay and guaranteed work.
Constantly changing with the times
Traffic Director (Former Employee) –  San Angelo, TXOctober 7, 2016
Townsquare Media is a great company to work for. The benefits provided are excellent and upper management is continuously growing the company. With new management, changes happen. Townsquare Media targets the latest trends to help businesses grow there own companies.
Pros
Constantly earning vacation time while you work.
Cons
Finding time to take your vacation
Tough Gig
NTR Director/Sr. Digital Market Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bozeman, MTSeptember 23, 2016
The PD of the local Country station is full of himself. Leaves position opening on his website, and here but says he doesn't have an opening. GM is paranoid about non-competes. Takes forever to make a decision. Good luck!
For your sanity and quality of life: STAY AWAY
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Windsor, COAugust 12, 2016
Working at Townsquare might be a good resume starter for someone who has no experience. Beyond that you take your quality of life into your own hands when you work here. It's not unusual to work seven days a week for weeks at a time (particularly in the summer) without any additional compensation or time off (if you're salaried.) The management at so many levels is just completely clueless it's truly astonishing. The GM in Windsor is a mouth-breathing bully. I've honestly have not seen anything like him in any other industry. He knows it all (just ask him) and any idea not generated by him will not be considered. Which is really amusing because he has only worked in radio and in radio sales. Not marketing. Not audience development. Not management. This is the kind of manager you need to stay away from - a small group of us referred to him as "Old Yeller" because he operates under the delusion that the louder he becomes the more productive his staff will be. While you're at it google client comments and testimonials for Townsquare Interactive. They are essentially robbing companies of their websites if they decide not to continue to have TSI host their site. These were once very good stations. Now the playlist is computer generated based on what the target demographic for the stations enjoys - and you'll hear those songs on a continuous loop throughout the day. These are heavy drinking/partying people who don't care about their clients or the results they've promised but can't deliver. It's the worst kind of company to work for - not that you'll stay long if you're not cut-throat.  more... I can't emphasize enough how much better off you'd be working the window of a fast food drive-thru than Townsquare Media.  less
Pros
Once in a blue moon you can get tickets to a concert or movie the stations receive in trade.
Cons
Just about everything else.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Townsquare Media. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8