Towson University Employee Reviews in United States

Decent Place to work!
Divisional Communications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 13, 2016
Working for Towson University was a great experience! It has a "small-town" feel.

Work days were pretty typical, 8-4:30, and the mentality was pretty much that of any state position.

My co-workers were pretty great! I had three different positions: continent worker, student worker, and a full-time state employee, so I got to work with the University President, Vice Presidents, faculty, staff, and students, which is uncommon in most university positions. It's rare, for an institution of this magnitude, to develop relationships with the President, but that was not the case with me.

The hardest part about the job was leaving. Honestly. I grew extremely close to several people and was treated like family, so this would be the hardest and most enjoyable part of the job - the relationships.
Pros
Employee relationships
Cons
State pay structure.
Great Enviroment
Facilities Management (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 14, 2016
My experience with Management and Staff was great. I Felt I was valued and my work was appreciated. There was also opportunities to move up in my department.
Great Supervision
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 23, 2016
Doing research at Towson University in the biology department was a pleasant experience. Although, intimidating at first, my supervisor was patient in teaching me how to do the tasks ahead.
Pros
Great Experiance
Cons
No Pay
productive and fun place
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 14, 2016
I have learned how to be productive, active, organized. I believe i also improved my communication skills since the day i started working here as well as more analytical.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
N/a
FLOOR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 28, 2016
Quick pace, a lot of machinery work. Learned to buff floors. Co-workers were friendly and team players. Management miscommunicated often.
Consistent
Cook 2 (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 12, 2016
Its very steady pace of work , very energetic workers . students are great at the school . Its a great place for a first job .
The most enjoyable part of the job
Office Assistant & Student Academic Adviser (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 1, 2015
When I worked here the management was great. I got along with everyone and they trained me well to do my job effectively. I learned quickly and was able to help students and parents with any questions they had about their applications/enrollment. I was still able to pass my classes.
Pros
Good on campus job
The worst place to work
Bus Operator (Fulltime) (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 18, 2015
Towson parking and transportation is worst place to work incompetent management and supervisors inadequate driver training no maintenance on site for buses check engine and ABS warning lights is the norm there. There is also alot of driver favortizum with scheduling specially morning shift ,overtime preferred drivers drive buses in the summer the rest get there 20 hours a week cleaning buildings, bathrooms anything that they can find basically you work it or go home.
Pros
Students are great
Cons
Incompetent Management on all levels
Fun and Productive Atmosphere
Alcohol and Drug Peer Educator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 3, 2016
Worked with a team of peer educators to coordinate and health prevention programs. Educated college students about the after effects of drugs and alcohol. Had the opportunity to meet and develop a lot of friendships with other Towson University students. Great experience!
Energetic, forerunner and futuristic place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 8, 2013
Towson University is a leader institution. One that is innovative and fast pace in the world of education.

Typical day at work involves sustaining the needs of the University and future employees. I have learned to multi-task and to respect and support my management. My co-workers are fun, caring and team players. Hardest part of my job is to maintain a high level of production. Certain times of year(fiscal year) can be very demanding but rewarding at the same time. Most enjoyable part of my job is interacting and meeting new people for all cultures and lifestyles.
Pros
job security
Cons
not much advancement
Learn a new Language
Ruby on Rails Developer (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 22, 2016
I learn a Ruby on rails, It was more like Learning a new Language and developing at the same time. Developing an app on Ruby on rails is a plus for my experience.
Work/life balance is great
TELECOMMUNICATIONS ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 13, 2015
Exempt positions offer ample time-off. Salary is less than average. Advancement potential is seriously limited, no mid-level positions. Management tend to be "lifers" with limited perspective and less than adequate skillsets
Fun college atmosphere - interesting design work!
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 3, 2012
Great people, fun students, interesting design work on a daily basis! Supportive work environment, awesome benefits and work/life balance. Lots of opportunity for cool activities and continuing education.
Pros
extensive paid leave and good medical benefits, laid back work environment for the most part
Cons
shaky job security, budget cutting, frozen cost of living raises, compensation hard to live on, requires additional income, no room for advancement
Overall great work enviorment
Orientation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 26, 2015
Respect work environment, that often go above and beyond. The management is outstanding, and it push me as a person to do my job well. I would be more then willing to come back.
Pros
Free Lunch, Great mangement, work with your Strengths
Cons
N/A
Fun place to work with potential for some Personal growth
Technical Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 29, 2014
Towson University is a diverse place to work with several places for advancement. It was a great start up job right out of college. I learn a lot about people and how to work well with others. I also learned a lot about selecting and leading teams. Management varied from great employers who were willing to show you the way to individuals who delegate without leadership. It becomes very clear which kind of manager you're working for very quickly. The hardest part of the job was advancing. There are a few places for advancements but there isn't much room for it in this industry. I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with co-workers and with customers.
Pros
friendly co-workers, certification classes, very diverse
Cons
not much room for advancement, lackluster management
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant/Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MarylandMay 13, 2014
Towson University is an exceptional place to work. Not only was I able to hone in on what "I wanted to do when I grew up" but I was able to form great professional relationships. Administrators were always supportive when inquiring about advancement. The University President is a wonderful example of leadership. She is personable and knowledgeable of those working under her leadership. The students are wonderful. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the students and working with one of the best departments and group of people that I've ever worked with. I learned about so many various cultures of students and each one was willing to sit down with me to discuss their individual cultures. I also enjoyed how students would come back to just say hi or get advice on academia or personal endeavors. I appreciated Towson's commitment to help employees reach their ultimate professional best through additional training and workshops of which I participated in as much as possible. My supervisor was also extremely supportive in my educational and professional goals. All in all I had an extremely positive experience working at Towson University.
Pros
everything
Cons
salary
Productive work place
Research Engineer (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 28, 2015
Productive and fun work place, helping students to do a research project, new technology, great co-workers, acquired a lot of new skills
Live-In Work Experience
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 17, 2013
Great way to get into Student Affairs track. I would recommend to any person looking to work in higher education. Requires a person with a very flexible schedule to accommodate the lifestyle of students and their classes including night and weekend events or meetings.

The position paid for my Masters degree and provided free housing. Very supportive staff and managers.

It's tough to have a work / life balance when trying to connect with friends and family with a 9-5 work lifestyle, especially when you have classes in addition to 20-30+ hours work week.

Overall the sacrifice is worth it in the end.
Pros
free housing and meal plan + tuition
Cons
no health benefits
Great benefits, but easy to get stuck in your position
Financial Transaction Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 27, 2015
I enjoy working at Towson, but it is so hard to move up. I have been here for 15 years and have only gotten 1 promotion. People get stuck in their ways and don't like to change or learn to do things differently. Some departments have too much drama and I feel like it is high school. I have met some really great people working here, and some are like family to me.
Pros
Great PTO, tuition remission, SNOW DAYS
Cons
hard to move up
Productive and relaxing workplace
Student Secretary (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 29, 2015
Typically I sit at a desk in the front of the management department where I greet guests, students, and professors, along with answering phone calls. I help students locate their advisors' offices, and run errands for my supervisor to other departments on campus. I work alone, and the job is fairly easy. What I enjoy most is being able to get school work done at my desk when I am not busy.

4.5