Towson University

Towson University Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant/Student Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MarylandMay 13, 2014
Towson University is an exceptional place to work. Not only was I able to hone in on what "I wanted to do when I grew up" but I was able to form great professional relationships. Administrators were always supportive when inquiring about advancement. The University President is a wonderful example of leadership. She is personable and knowledgeable of those working under her leadership. The students are wonderful. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the students and working with one of the best departments and group of people that I've ever worked with. I learned about so many various cultures of students and each one was willing to sit down with me to discuss their individual cultures. I also enjoyed how students would come back to just say hi or get advice on academia or personal endeavors. I appreciated Towson's commitment to help employees reach their ultimate professional best through additional training and workshops of which I participated in as much as possible. My supervisor was also extremely supportive in my educational and professional goals. All in all I had an extremely positive experience working at Towson University.
Pros
everything
Cons
salary
Busy, hectic at peak times, pleasant in some departments, learning environment, and cultural diversity.
DEPARTMENT CHAIR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 13, 2014
- Liaison to the Department Chair, scheduled/maintained calendar, assisted the needs of faculty, counseled students on their curriculum, supervised part time secretary and student workers, maintained/collected/processed sensitive records regarding faculty hires and student records. Computed/submitted adjunct faculty payroll, work studies and any independent study courses. Answered/directed phone calls to faculty. Effectively networked with the people throughout the campus expediting the needs of the faculty and students.
- Time management can be challenging during peak times, which requires extra time at the office to meet deadlines.
- Department Chairs change, meaning new bosses could be in place for a while or only two or three years; requiring to learn and work with a new boss frequently. Not all Chairs are pleasant and can be challenging to work along side.
- Faculty are great co-workers and busy people.
- The overtime necessary in peak times during registration period.
- The most enjoyable time in the work place is interacting with the faculty and students.
Pros
great place for someone who loves working with people, a fast pace office
Cons
during peak periods, it is necessary to work overtime some days which can become a 12 hour day.
Event Management
Senior Event Manager (Current Employee) –  Towson, MdAugust 24, 2014
As a Senior Event Manager, my job responsibilities include:
Planning, outlining, coordinating, and managing of mid to high level internal and external events. Daily tasks consist of staffing events, crowd control, tech needs, set-up needs, parking needs, writing contracts, working within event budgets, upholding weather protocol and safety procedures for outdoor events, communicating and interacting with our customer/guest, maintaining a high level of guest satisfaction and customer service that ensures repeat business.
Work is not limited to set hours. Hours consist of weekends, evening, and manager on duty shifts.

Previous and current events consist of:
- Summer camps and conferences to include on campus overnight housing
- multi level athletic and non-athletic events in SECU Arena
- University Commencement Ceremonies in both the Spring and Winter Semester - total of 9 per year
- High School Graduations - total of 21 in a 3 week period
- Special Olympics Summer Games and events throughout the year
- Speaker events
- Concerts
Fun place to work with potential for some Personal growth
Technical Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 29, 2014
Towson University is a diverse place to work with several places for advancement. It was a great start up job right out of college. I learn a lot about people and how to work well with others. I also learned a lot about selecting and leading teams. Management varied from great employers who were willing to show you the way to individuals who delegate without leadership. It becomes very clear which kind of manager you're working for very quickly. The hardest part of the job was advancing. There are a few places for advancements but there isn't much room for it in this industry. I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with co-workers and with customers.
Pros
friendly co-workers, certification classes, very diverse
Cons
not much room for advancement, lackluster management
Fun, encouraging workplace
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 11, 2013
My experience at Towson University was phenomenal. I came to Towson from a small town and was very unsure what I could even do with a biology degree. The biology professors there opened my eyes to science and everything you can do with science. I got involved volunteering for a masters thesis project my second semester there. Every Sunday I was getting to go out kayaking on the Susquehanna river and help research an endangered species of turtles. After volunteering for many months, they finally offered me a job which i continued for about 3 years. I also worked in the biology office where I helped the professors and chair of the department with anything they needed. Needless to say, I lived in the biology department during my time at college. The professors there really make you feel like you can do anything.
Fun Working Environment
Community Center Assistant (Housing) (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 11, 2013
A typical day consist of checking ID's of residents and signing guest in and out using the Residential Computer system. Sign out keys, games, utensils for cooking or baking, and gave information to all guest.
I have learned how to stick to rules and regulations.
Management was efficient and thorough.
Co-workers were easy to get along with and we all helped each other when one needed their shift to be covered.
The hardest part was leaving because I did not want to leave. The only reason i left because I graduated from the University.
The most enjoyable part was meeting new people everyday.
Pros
meeting new people and working around my schedule
Cons
n/a
Energetic, forerunner and futuristic place to work
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 8, 2013
Towson University is a leader institution. One that is innovative and fast pace in the world of education.

Typical day at work involves sustaining the needs of the University and future employees. I have learned to multi-task and to respect and support my management. My co-workers are fun, caring and team players. Hardest part of my job is to maintain a high level of production. Certain times of year(fiscal year) can be very demanding but rewarding at the same time. Most enjoyable part of my job is interacting and meeting new people for all cultures and lifestyles.
Pros
job security
Cons
not much advancement
Live-In Work Experience
Assistant Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 17, 2013
Great way to get into Student Affairs track. I would recommend to any person looking to work in higher education. Requires a person with a very flexible schedule to accommodate the lifestyle of students and their classes including night and weekend events or meetings.

The position paid for my Masters degree and provided free housing. Very supportive staff and managers.

It's tough to have a work / life balance when trying to connect with friends and family with a 9-5 work lifestyle, especially when you have classes in addition to 20-30+ hours work week.

Overall the sacrifice is worth it in the end.
Pros
free housing and meal plan + tuition
Cons
no health benefits
Good School
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, Towson UniversitySeptember 29, 2014
At the beginning of the day we would turn on all computers, and write how long the lab would be open for. I learned you gain a lot of from helping people, and people would do anything if you ask them the right way. Our management was excellent we had a great staff coordinator, my coworkers were very quiet and studious . There wasn't really a hard part of the job, because it was a fairly simple job. The most enjoyable part of the job was there was a lot of room for human development.
Pros
quiet work environment, had access to printers, had access to every technological resource in school.
Cons
dealing with students
The worst place to work
Bus Operator (Fulltime) (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 18, 2015
Towson parking and transportation is worst place to work incompetent management and supervisors inadequate driver training no maintenance on site for buses check engine and ABS warning lights is the norm there. There is also alot of driver favortizum with scheduling specially morning shift ,overtime preferred drivers drive buses in the summer the rest get there 20 hours a week cleaning buildings, bathrooms anything that they can find basically you work it or go home.
Pros
Students are great
Cons
Incompetent Management on all levels
Great benefits, but easy to get stuck in your position
Financial Transaction Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMarch 27, 2015
I enjoy working at Towson, but it is so hard to move up. I have been here for 15 years and have only gotten 1 promotion. People get stuck in their ways and don't like to change or learn to do things differently. Some departments have too much drama and I feel like it is high school. I have met some really great people working here, and some are like family to me.
Pros
Great PTO, tuition remission, SNOW DAYS
Cons
hard to move up
I enjoy every much working at Towson University and plan to continue to work at this company
Fincancial Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 1, 2015
I am looking for part time in the evenings and weekend only.
I learn very easily and I can multitask. I am very organized and I know how to prioritize my daily work. I work well with others and I am a team player. I am a people person. I enjoy my job and it is a challenge to settle each day each Web Site. I do have experience in cash handling.
Pros
winter break and benefits
Cons
money
Productive and relaxing workplace
Student Secretary (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 29, 2015
Typically I sit at a desk in the front of the management department where I greet guests, students, and professors, along with answering phone calls. I help students locate their advisors' offices, and run errands for my supervisor to other departments on campus. I work alone, and the job is fairly easy. What I enjoy most is being able to get school work done at my desk when I am not busy.
Great work and life balance enviroment
Web and graphic designer (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDSeptember 4, 2013
The atmosphere is somewhere laid back and the volume of work is extensive. The design work has room for creativity, and you have the freedom to come up with your own design suggestions and concepts as long as you follow the branding rules.

Designers also have the opportunity to sit with clients and brainstorm, which helps break the day.
Pros
people at towson are great and fun to work on a daily basis.
Cons
no room for career advancement
Fun college atmosphere - interesting design work!
Graphic Designer (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 3, 2012
Great people, fun students, interesting design work on a daily basis! Supportive work environment, awesome benefits and work/life balance. Lots of opportunity for cool activities and continuing education.
Pros
extensive paid leave and good medical benefits, laid back work environment for the most part
Cons
shaky job security, budget cutting, frozen cost of living raises, compensation hard to live on, requires additional income, no room for advancement
The most enjoyable part of the job
Office Assistant & Student Academic Adviser (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 1, 2015
When I worked here the management was great. I got along with everyone and they trained me well to do my job effectively. I learned quickly and was able to help students and parents with any questions they had about their applications/enrollment. I was still able to pass my classes.
Pros
Good on campus job
review of towson un
Assistant Football Coach (Former Employee) –  football officeMay 4, 2015
Atypical day would be working with the football staff, I usually learned something about economics or sociology. My main co-worker was as former football player.the job was too much fun to be hard.
Pros
free lunch, use o th ecomputer
Cons
geting to my work space o a collgeg campass
Productive and academic work environment
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 10, 2015
This is a relaxed work atmosphere with an emphasis on education and providing students with quality instruction. I split my time between administrative tasks and helping assist a professor with 3 undergraduate classes. I conduct some basic research for program advancement.
Pros
Friendly and respectful atmosphere; new facility
Overall great work enviorment
Orientation Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDAugust 26, 2015
Respect work environment, that often go above and beyond. The management is outstanding, and it push me as a person to do my job well. I would be more then willing to come back.
Pros
Free Lunch, Great mangement, work with your Strengths
Cons
N/A
Great colleagues to work with.
Associate Professor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 18, 2013
I learned how things work in Academia and what students are up to these days. My co-workers could not be better, and thanks to them the job is very enjoyable.
Management and as well as the average student could be better though.
Pros
work environment
Cons
lack of incentives

4.5