Towson University Employee Reviews

Nice Campus
Full Time Staffer (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 20, 2017
It's an academic institution, so it follows the ethos of those, however the campus is lovely and there are so many great resources available to everyone.
Pros
A lot to do
Cons
Work-life Balance
Nice place to work
Student Facilities Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 20, 2017
Superiors are helpful and understanding. Schedules are flexible. Workplace environment is welcoming. Hardest work and biggest projects are handled early in the day so that you either have easy afternoons or the rest of the day off.
Nice on campus opportunities for students
Building Manager (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 20, 2017
Managers on campus allow for very flexible schedules and understand that school comes first. My manger also allowed for student employees to complete homework assignments while on the job, as long as, it did not interfere with my workload. Very relaxed work environment.
Athletics is a Tough Job
Assistant Baseball Coach (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 17, 2017
Athletics is a tough place to be. I do not think it is just Towson, but I do feel there is no loyalty given to people who have dedicated their time, energy and money to the University.
Towson University Great Culture!!!!
Human Resources Specialist (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 15, 2017
Towson University one of the best places to work. Great culture!!! I worked in Human Resources and loved every second of it. I had a dedicated and supportive team. Would have stayed there forever but wanted to grow further in my career. Just received my graduated
degree from TU and I would return to HR in a leadership position in a heart beat. Best Culture and team Ever!!!
Pros
Culture, Supportive managers and team members
Cons
pay could be better
Nice environment
Video Services Coordinator Internship (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 8, 2017
I was not an employee at Towson University, but a student during my internship there. It was nice to work in my field and give back to the community where I have lived.
I love it
Office Clerk II (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJune 6, 2017
They are very supportive and encouraging. I have been in different departments and everything is still the same. Very patient and informative and are truly concerned.
Higher Education has it's benefits
Student Communications and Events Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 25, 2017
Towson University is a mid-sized public university. It has much to offer its students and staff. The summers can get slow (depending on what department you are working in). I had a fun group of coworkers that could make any task enjoyable.
Helped me grow a lot
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 19, 2017
I was able to work in an inclusive environment that allowed me to experience personal growth and help the growth of others. Working on Towson's campus gave me excellent skills that I will apply in future endeavors.
Pros
Great staff, flexible hours, excellent benefits
Cons
Management lacking professionalism
Job security and benefits
Landscape Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 11, 2017
Towson University has given me the opportunity to work and gain experience within job with extra paid training opportunities. I have been able to work with confidence from the knowledge gained. The state job has given me the job security in my field that I may not have had in private sector as I worked 40 hour weeks without the threat of weather conditions and layoffs. I was also provided with a great benefit package that also was not offered in the past to provide insurances for my family and time off. The pay was lower than most private sector jobs but the benefits were an enhancement that I shall carry with me even as I leave after 30 years of service.
Pros
Benefit package and educational opportunities
Cons
Lower salaries and sometimes limited advancement opportunities
Great seasonal job for full-time student
Veteran Career Peer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 10, 2017
This review pertains to the Veterans Center. It was a great place to work at although it was seasonal and 10 hrs a week. The supervisor was very flexible with work hours and there was opportunity to do more than what the job required, which is perfect for someone who needs to add value to their resume.

The atmosphere was very relaxing, friendship and positive. Parents and potential TU students would call in for information regarding veteran benefits, so it was very crucial to provide the correct information and to have personal knowledge and experience on how military school benefits are used at higher learning institutions.
Pros
Great place to work due to gaining experience and knowledge
Cons
Seasonal job, no room for promotion
Student Job
Student Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 10, 2017
As an undergraduate student, I really enjoyed working in the library because it gave me a space to do my homework and also learn basic professional skills like answering phone calls and customer service.
Productive and friendly
Facilities Planning Student (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 9, 2017
The office is very friendly and always willing to give a helping hand with anything. There is a wide variety of tasks that are done within the facilities department.
Great opportunity for students to get involved in campus activities
Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 28, 2017
Great department with knowledgeable faculties. The campus also provides a lot of opportunities so that students can show their potential abilities by joining clubs, organizations, or a part of the academic center to help the other students.
No room for growth
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 28, 2017
Non-exempt employees do not get treated with respect considering they carry the load of the work load to run the campus. Salaries are low when it comes to the cost of living in Maryland. No room for advancement. Low rate when it comes to reclassification of positions.
Adjunct professors undervalued
Adjunct Professor (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 27, 2017
For a university that regularly solicits alumni donations, I see no reason that the necessary equipment needed to teach a class should unavailable. I was expected to provide my own teaching materials and over $10,000 of my own personal equipment every week to teach a class.

With 6 months of advance notice, I provided the department a list of the needed equipment for the class a second time, but I was told that it had not been purchased and there were no plans to do so. The desire to keep the students best interest in mind over the desires of the department were what compelled me to bring my own teaching materials.

Other faculty were extremely helpful and supportive, and even those in different departments gave me great advice and shared their resources, but seeing what the department funds are spent on in place of required materials and equipment for a class that is offered more than once is a bit short sighted on their part.

I taught in one department, and previously worked in an entirely different department, with similar observations.
Pros
Students are engaged and interested
Cons
University relies heavily on adjuncts and doesn't compensate adequately
Strict requirements but enjoyable job
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 20, 2017
I learned to manage my time. Being a Resident Assistant was pretty much a full time job but it was nice to see an impact you could make. Strict requirements compared to other school but it was worth it.
Supervision at Towson University
Senior Event Technician (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 16, 2017
The amount of work depends on the event, some will only require basic stage managing and basic recording. Others will include more extensive stage setup and amplification/recording.
Pros
Working with musicians and other employees
Good work for when need to balance school and life.
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 8, 2017
All of the bosses I have had at towson have been outstanding. The pay is a bit less than what I think it should be as students, however you have the opportunity to increase hours, do homework, and have enough time outside of work and school to live your life. The staff is very understanding and helpful.
Pros
Can do homework, interact with residents, looks good on resume
Cons
Not the best pay.
Challenging Work Environment, unrealistic expectations
Assistant Professor of Psychology (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDApril 4, 2017
Hard and challenging environment if you are looking to do good and solid research. Teaching loads and advising loads are high. Research resources vary by department, but are not great. There is some flexibility in teaching schedules, which is a plus if you have a young family. Low pay, and very modest pay increases.

The tenure process is ambiguous, you just have to hope for the best that you did well enough and that they are happy with you.
Cons
Low pay, high teaching load, unrealistic research productivity, lousy parental leave benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Towson University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4