Towson University

Towson University Employee Reviews

Research
Lab Research (Former Employee), Towson, MDFebruary 12, 2015
The reaserch mainly focused on identifying small proteins in E. Coli.
It required a lot of critical thinking, especially when the results obtained were not what we were hoping for. The experiments required mainly PCR and DNA purification.
Work/life balance is great
TELECOMMUNICATIONS ANALYST (Current Employee), Towson, MDJanuary 13, 2015
Exempt positions offer ample time-off. Salary is less than average. Advancement potential is seriously limited, no mid-level positions. Management tend to be "lifers" with limited perspective and less than adequate skillsets
I enjoy every much working at Towson University and plan to continue to work at this company
Fincancial Coordinator (Former Employee), Towson, MDJanuary 1, 2015
Pros: winter break and benefits
Cons: money
I am looking for part time in the evenings and weekend only.
I learn very easily and I can multitask. I am very organized and I know how to prioritize my daily work. I work well with others and I am a team player. I am a people person. I enjoy my job and it is a challenge to settle each day each Web Site. I do have experience in cash handling.
Good School
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Towson, Towson UniversitySeptember 29, 2014
Pros: quiet work environment, had access to printers, had access to every technological resource in school.
Cons: dealing with students
At the beginning of the day we would turn on all computers, and write how long the lab would be open for. I learned you gain a lot of from helping people, and people would do anything if you ask them the – more... right way. Our management was excellent we had a great staff coordinator, my coworkers were very quiet and studious . There wasn't really a hard part of the job, because it was a fairly simple job. The most enjoyable part of the job was there was a lot of room for human development. – less
Microbiology internship
Biological Research Assistant (Former Employee), Towson, MDSeptember 28, 2014
Great place to learn. Did tons of work in the microbio lab doing PCR reactions and running gels. Learned how a typical lab works.
Great place to work!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Towson, MDAugust 29, 2014
Pros: tuition remission
Cons: high cost of parking
Working at a university campus is unique. Faculty and staff seem to stay for years.
Event Management
Senior Event Manager (Current Employee), Towson, MdAugust 24, 2014
As a Senior Event Manager, my job responsibilities include:
Planning, outlining, coordinating, and managing of mid to high level internal and external events. Daily tasks consist of staffing events, crowd – more... control, tech needs, set-up needs, parking needs, writing contracts, working within event budgets, upholding weather protocol and safety procedures for outdoor events, communicating and interacting with our customer/guest, maintaining a high level of guest satisfaction and customer service that ensures repeat business.
Work is not limited to set hours. Hours consist of weekends, evening, and manager on duty shifts.

Previous and current events consist of:
- Summer camps and conferences to include on campus overnight housing
- multi level athletic and non-athletic events in SECU Arena
- University Commencement Ceremonies in both the Spring and Winter Semester - total of 9 per year
- High School Graduations - total of 21 in a 3 week period
- Special Olympics Summer Games and events throughout the year
- Speaker events
- Concerts – less
Busy, hectic at peak times, pleasant in some departments, learning environment, and cultural diversity.
DEPARTMENT CHAIR ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee), Towson, MDAugust 13, 2014
Pros: great place for someone who loves working with people, a fast pace office
Cons: during peak periods, it is necessary to work overtime some days which can become a 12 hour day.
- Liaison to the Department Chair, scheduled/maintained calendar, assisted the needs of faculty, counseled students on their curriculum, supervised part time secretary and student workers, maintained/collected/processed – more... sensitive records regarding faculty hires and student records. Computed/submitted adjunct faculty payroll, work studies and any independent study courses. Answered/directed phone calls to faculty. Effectively networked with the people throughout the campus expediting the needs of the faculty and students.
- Time management can be challenging during peak times, which requires extra time at the office to meet deadlines.
- Department Chairs change, meaning new bosses could be in place for a while or only two or three years; requiring to learn and work with a new boss frequently. Not all Chairs are pleasant and can be challenging to work along side.
- Faculty are great co-workers and busy people.
- The overtime necessary in peak times during registration period.
- The most enjoyable time in the work place is interacting with the faculty and students. – less
Graduate Assistant
Graduate Administrative Assistant (Current Employee), Towson, MDAugust 5, 2014
My manager was very flexiable in regrads to job work and balancing your everday life. Cheerful and fun environment to work in. Work was not super tedious as some other postitions can be.
fun place to work
Cashier (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDJuly 8, 2014
Towson University bookstore mainly hires students, therefore it was a very easy going work place. Everybody is nice, the boss is very understanding. The book store is very flexible with work hours.
Informative and Fun Teaching Assistant position
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Towson, MDJuly 1, 2014
I assisted a professor in teaching an undergraduate Research Methods in Psychology course.
good hard working people
Manager of telecommunications (Current Employee), baltimore mdJune 26, 2014
under paid workers that show up every day and do the best job they can
Fun place to work with potential for some Personal growth
Technical Services Assistant (Current Employee), Towson, MDMay 29, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers, certification classes, very diverse
Cons: not much room for advancement, lackluster management
Towson University is a diverse place to work with several places for advancement. It was a great start up job right out of college. I learn a lot about people and how to work well with others. I also learned – more... a lot about selecting and leading teams. Management varied from great employers who were willing to show you the way to individuals who delegate without leadership. It becomes very clear which kind of manager you're working for very quickly. The hardest part of the job was advancing. There are a few places for advancements but there isn't much room for it in this industry. I thoroughly enjoyed my interactions with co-workers and with customers. – less
Great place to work!
Administrative Assistant/Student Supervisor (Former Employee), Towson, MarylandMay 13, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: salary
Towson University is an exceptional place to work. Not only was I able to hone in on what "I wanted to do when I grew up" but I was able to form great professional relationships. Administrators were always – more... supportive when inquiring about advancement. The University President is a wonderful example of leadership. She is personable and knowledgeable of those working under her leadership. The students are wonderful. The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the students and working with one of the best departments and group of people that I've ever worked with. I learned about so many various cultures of students and each one was willing to sit down with me to discuss their individual cultures. I also enjoyed how students would come back to just say hi or get advice on academia or personal endeavors. I appreciated Towson's commitment to help employees reach their ultimate professional best through additional training and workshops of which I participated in as much as possible. My supervisor was also extremely supportive in my educational and professional goals. All in all I had an extremely positive experience working at Towson University. – less
A high-tech environment to work
Operations Assistant (Former Employee), Towson, MDMay 1, 2014
Learned a number of computer skills, edited technology equipment photographs, etc.
Small D1 Athletic Department - Close Employees
Manager, Group Sales & Promotions (Former Employee), Towson, MDApril 21, 2014
Very good D1 athletic department on the rise in the very tough CAA. Learned a lot from supervisors with experience in major D1 conferences.
productive
Janitor (Current Employee), Towson, MDMarch 13, 2014
a typical day at towson university is ok. i learned many things how to use different machines. management staff are great. my co-worker know me very well. im very known from my work. there is no hard part.
Fun and Rewarding
Art Gallery Assistant/Computer Lab Monitor (Former Employee), Towson, MDFebruary 4, 2014
When you work for Towson University, you are beginning to make memories last fora lifetime. I'm grateful for my former manager Ms. Venetia Zachary who is able to assist select students with Federal Work – more... Study with locating on-campus jobs for the Art Department. With the proper training, being an art gallery guard becomes a rewarding experience. You're able to be a part of the gallery exhibit reception, meet new faces, and learn more about the various cultures that makes Towson University culturally diverse. – less
great nursing school
Group Exercise Supervisor/Instructor (Former Employee), Towson, MDJanuary 17, 2014
Great place to attend nursing school. Teachers were helpful and made a lot of long life friends.
University
Graduate Assistant -- Excel VBA lab teacher (Former Employee), Towson, MDJanuary 15, 2014
Easy job