Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in United States

Found 5,316 reviews matching the search
Fun Place to Work, But Not Many Opportunities for Advancement
Baby Registry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INMarch 20, 2016
I have worked here for almost four years and know almost every position in the store. I am an expert in everything on the baby side and customers request me by name, but was passed over for a promotion due to the fact that the store manager chooses favorites. If you are not wanting to advance, and are fine with the non-competitive pay and low raises, then this is the perfect job for you. It is a fun way to learn more about toy and baby items and the guests are enjoyable to help, for the most part. The best part of the job is getting to know the expectant parents and then seeing the babies once they are born. It is a very high-paced atmosphere during Christmas season, but the days fly by. Most of the people that work there are very friendly, helpful people, but just like anywhere, there are a few bad apples.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, getting to know regular guests
Cons
Rare opportunities for advancement, management does not help on register even during busy periods
Fun Perks, Employee convenience, Starbucks and Gym
Planner, Space Management (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJFebruary 22, 2016
I am grateful to have the opportunity to work for Toys R Us. It has been an excellent learning experience for me and I have connected with some of the greatest people within the company. I am thankful for my co-workers and the many friendships that I have made during my time here. Although it has been enjoyable, it also has been challenging to work in the toy business as I wish to advance in the Fashion industry where I truly see myself thriving in. I am seeking to grow within corporate retail to take on more responsibilities and new challenges.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Positive Company Culture, Beautiful Campus, Teamwork
Cons
Low employee moral, Not as fun of a workplace as expected, Very few advancement opportunities
Fun place to work, but does not typically line up with long term career goals.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 27, 2016
Toys R Us was a fun and exciting place to work. The environment was great and co-workers and management were great to work with. A typical day included keeping the store neat, running a register, stocking shelves, answering customer questions, etc. The job wasn't very difficult, in fact in was very enjoyable interacting with positive people that are shopping for smiles via toys. Being a Toys R Us employee is really all giggles until you don't have the luxury to live life playing around all the time. Employment at Toys R Us is less satisfying when trying to handle recurring financial responsibilities, a demanding personal life and the desire to advance a career. The crazy hours, low wages and limited upward mobility potential eventually wipes the smile off your face.
Pros
Fun Enviornment
Cons
Crazy shifts, low wages
Not a place to advance
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 28, 2016
Full time jobs rarely come up, they start at minimum wage. When it comes to raises they get by cheaply as possible. Good work could earn you only ten cents, which isn't really worth it. Don't get sick, because even with doctors notes they will get rid of you. Management is difficult to deal with, don't really care about their employees. I wouldn't even waste my time applying here.
Pros
paid time off, and vacation
Cons
management, minimum wage
Way past the peeking point.
Guest Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYFebruary 6, 2016
There are many mixed reviews on this place if one were to scour the internet looking for them. The locations are different therefore management is as well. Being a cashier is the easiest way to learn customer service skills. Management is overworked and underpaid. Everyone is overworked and underpaid for a less than living wage. The hardest part of the job is getting along with the employees you need to get a long with. Popularity matters in the location I worked in. I enjoyed seeing the kids and helping parents make the right choices based on experience.
Pros
Lunch breaks, 401k, fast paced
Cons
Not much room to advance
friendly and welcoming staff, manager was very approachable
Temp Assignment for "Season" (Former Employee) –  Canadian Head OfficeJanuary 25, 2016
Work at "Toys "R Us' Head Office for the season in 2014/2015. The staff was very welcoming, and I was made to feel like part of the team. I was well trained. Any and all my questions were answered

The manager was very welcoming and had an open door policy. Praised and encouraged her staff daily. Rewarded her staff at the end of each month end.

Great place to work and I would highly recommend to anyone.
Pros
manager would bring in "treats" for staff a few times a week. Cafe on site, free coffee, tea
Cons
I didn't find any, really enjoyed working there
Very few hours
Product Assembler/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Canton, OHFebruary 8, 2016
A typical day for me is doing all the 41 things on the maintenance check list, everything from cleaning the the floors to checking for cracks in the building. Then I build customer products that they pay to have assembled. All in 4 hours a day, three days a week.
There are few chances of advancement. Management is friendly, but lacking in encouragement. Co- workers are friendly, but cliquish.
Can be a nice place to work if all you want to work is a few hours a week.
Pros
Good work enviroment
Cons
few hours available
Fun place to work But not enough Pay
Human Resource Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 13, 2016
Working in a toy store is fun but, there are some downfalls to it as well. For example, the pay is not good and neither are the hours. They don't supply us with any hours and expect us to pay our bills. My store manager is very down to earth but he is strict as well. He tries to be fair but then he does have his favorites. I have learned patience and customer service. You can not be impatient working with people especially people that has children. My co-workers are fine some get along great while others don't. The hardest part of the job is not having hours. all of the full time people are supervisors that's it everyone else is part time and only get one maybe two days a week. We get paid bi-weekly and it does not help pay bills. The best part is working with the children. To see the smiles on their faces and talking to them is so rewarding. I love the guest that I get and they love me. My supervisors are very caring at times and that makes working with them worth while/
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Short breaks, Little pay, Healthcare, No Hours, And no raises
Can't wait to leave
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Rego Park, NYDecember 17, 2015
I can't stand working there, as an assembler I'm expected to build things at a timely rate. Yet, I am not given the proper tools and work area. A lot of the times I am improvising tools to get the job done. Also there are rarely an sapphires that work and walkies as well, which makes it very hard to help customers when they want to know the price of a bike or something in the wheels section. I also did not receive training and had to learn everything through other employees or on my own. The last thing is employees only receive a 10% discount on certain items, customers get better discounts than us.
Pros
I'm not a cashier
Cons
No working equipment, Broken ladders, Poor management, Benefits
Fun, fast paced place to work, with room for growth and constant room for self-realization of goals and learning opportunities
Baby Registry Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Clive, IAOctober 22, 2015
I worked for the Babies R Us side of Toys R Us Inc. I truly enjoyed working for this part of the business. With Special Events, constant room for advancement, learning and growth opportunities, if you work hard, show your dedication, and keep going through the constant change, you can go wherever you want with this company! They do provide ETO for sick/vacation days, and schedules are posted 2 weeks in advance.

Downsides: Low starting pay, benefits are expensive and co-pays are high, and the schedules for Key holders, ASM and management are very demanding, requiring completely open availability from 4 AM for some trucks, to 10 or 11:00 PM during peak season.

Overall, would have been 5 stars, but lost 1 for low pay and work-life balance.
Pros
Fun, Room for Fast Advancement, Creativity Encouraged, employee discount stackable with Rewards Program, Fun competitions to reward sales of credit card programs, protection plans; great comraderie.
Cons
Pay scale isn't the best for the amount of work-life balance higher paying positions ask for, benefits are expensive and have high co-pays

Want to know more about Toys 'R' Us?

Ask a question
great place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHFebruary 18, 2016
great place to work! builds customer service and management skills. competitive yet still a family. this job is perfect for anyone who loves to work retail.
Pros
great skills learned
Cons
not the best benefits
Fun place to work
Customer Service Desk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 29, 2015
Toys R Us has been a fun place to work and I love my co-workers. Every day is different but usually it is pretty slow and easy-going. During the holiday season, it is pretty busy and makes your shifts go fast. The most enjoyable part of working at Toys R Us for me is working with the customers and children. Although I love working at Toys R Us, management isn't the greatest and the hours are never the same. You could have 32 hours one week and 15 the next, so it definitely isn't stable by any means.
Pros
Co-workers, customers
Cons
short breaks, non-stable hours, benefits, management
Great Place, No Good Compensation,Not Enough Hours.
Team Member/ Customer Service Desk (Current Employee) –  Orange Park FLOctober 1, 2015
Toys R Us is a Great place to work atmosphere is always Happy. The Down Side of Working for the Company is, the Pay and Hours. there is No room for advancement with this certain Location. Management is Very Professional, However there are a Few Members Of Store Leadership that Don't Care so Much for some of their employees or Customers and it shows in attitude. Worked for the Company for 3 years and i feel in Love.
Pros
Meeting new People With Warm Personalites, Sharing Memories and Making New Ones With Locals In the Community.
Cons
Short Breaks, Compensation
Fun at work can happen
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IL 61108March 2, 2016
There is a general expectation to have fun working at a toy store. More often than not, this expectation is met or exceeded by the quality employees the company tends to employ. The benefits are extremely competitive, provided you are able to secure full time employment status.
Pros
Competitive benefits
Cons
Extremely tight labor budget
Good company
World leader, supervisor, department head (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 24, 2016
Good company to work for benefits were fair, but long work hours. Management would hire from outside and was very little room for advancement.
self motivated
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOApril 4, 2016
this company was good to work for besides the compensation was not enough for the lifting and work that was being done. the company was also only offering seasonal work, as well as the management had no involvement with the employees.
I would have stayed
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAMarch 29, 2016
This was my favorite job and I honestly would love to go back. I'm a kid at heart and that's a great thing to have to work here. Knowledge of the product and interest in the product are very helpful for parents and other shoppers for children who may not know what they are looking for. A lot of times people will ask "what would a 5 year old like" and you need to know the answer. Christmas season can get hectic but it's great. Sometimes you get to demo some of the toys even! I have so many memories of adorable kids coming in and saying the cutest and craziest things. My thing was management. My management wasn't the best. This person did not seem to really care about the employees and didn't pull their end of the work. Higher up people know about this and haven't done anything about it.
Pros
demo toys, usually flexible hours, seeing children
Cons
busy season, management, fun work environment
Management was not pleasant.
Electronics Consultant (Former Employee) –  Bossier City, LA 71111April 4, 2016
Dealing with management and supervisors was not the best experience. One manager, in particular, harassed me on a daily basis. The quotas for the metrics was also overwhelming, to a point where many employees became anxiety driven.

Want to know how we were rewarded if we persuaded a customer to apply for a credit card? CANDY! Really?

While I enjoyed the interaction with the customers (kids and parents), I could hardly make it through my shift without feeling disappointed and useless. Managers need to realize that their employees' feelings are valid, and they should be respected. No credit card application (in regards to one assistant manager in particular who harassed customers and employees) should be more important than making the employees feel valued so they can complete their job.
Pros
Co-Workers, selling products, happy customers
Cons
Management, Typical Management attitudes
Fun, dynamic work inviorment where individuals are encouraged to contribute and challenged to find ways to improve on the business process.
Manager of Forecasting (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJAugust 6, 2015
Fun place to work. Very flexible with work/life balance when personal time is needed. Management takes a genuine interest in the individual and provides vehicles for upward communication. Decision making is often by consensus so individual ideas are always welcomed. Training, both for the individual and the group, is top notch and always available. Company is forward thinking and open to new technologies to help improve on the business process.
Pros
Fun, dynamic place to work where an individual's career can grow
Cons
Benefits are becoming more expensive
Awesome Workplace with Wonderful Team Members and Management.
Stocker/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 24, 2016
A typical day at Babies R Us would start off with a team meeting. Some customers would come in while the meeting was going on but there was always someone in standby to help them. While working here I learned how to safely unload boxes off of a truck. I also learned how to stock, process back stock and find someone's layaway order using the RF Scanner, how to properly greet/assist customers, and how to use a cash register. The management staff and my co workers were great people that was always willing to lend a hand when I needed help. The hardest part of the job was dealing with unruly customers. I truly enjoyed every part of this job.
Pros
Bring your kid to work day, awesome work environment and staff
Cons
no cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys 'R' Us. Our community is ready to answer.