Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Found 6,218 reviews matching the search
Efficient,entertaining, work environment
Crew member (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaJanuary 23, 2017
I worked as a riding toy assembler, and while performing my duties,I learned that customers and management appreciate and respect a worker with a strong work ethic, but also a light-hearted attitude. The work environment was very fast paced and customer oriented due to the fact that I was there during the holiday season. The hardest part of the job was working with supervisors who were short on patience and lacked basic communication skills with others in a subordinate position. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the customers and their children.
It was a great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 3, 2017
Toys R Us was a very enjoyable place to work. I enjoyed the kids and the families coming in and having such a great time. I took my job very seriously and around the holiday is was so important to know where items where. Parents are very busy and have a lot to do not mentioning how stress we get. But I loved that I could make them feel at ease and help them find items or give them information with a particular item.
Pros
Its so quike!
Cons
When you have to do it from you phone and you have to do the whole application again.
Not a fun place to work
Inventory Management Specialist (Current Employee) –  South Portland, MEFebruary 17, 2017
I know at the store I'm at the managers will be doing very little while everyone else is busting their butts to get their stuff done. It also doesn't help that they will let people call out willy-nilly and use people that have a million tasks as coverage.
They also push the credit card and the other indicators hard, and will not rest until every single person can get one or two a day.
Pros
you're surrounded by toys.
Cons
no coverage, overworked, no benefits
great experience
Stock (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 23, 2017
A typical work day was overnight stocking the shelves.
I learned about work culture being the first job after summer youth employment.
Management was great , taught me a lot about work.
The workplace culture was competitive where we tried to fill the shelves of the entire store before the shift was over.
the hardest part was having to go to school directly after work.
The most enjoyable was having a job and knowing I can help my mother with the bills.
Pros
learning about the work culture
Cons
going to school directly after working each shift
Not worth it
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  New York StateFebruary 10, 2017
I used to enjoy working at Toys R Us, I liked it so much that I tried to make it a better place to work as a Human Resources Department Supervisor. I would work 12 hours or more during the holiday season, barely seeing my family, and I would've been alright with that if anyone at the company was appreciative, but they were not.

The managers make six figures a year but anyone else is underpaid and overworked.
Pros
Discount, being around toys
Cons
Cheap company, no loyalty to employees, no benefits, understaffed
Fun and fast paced work place
Sales Floor Team Member (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAJanuary 22, 2017
Typical day of work consisted of assisting customers, answering any incoming phone calls, neatening up the store to ensure cleanliness and stocking items to make sure all shelves were stocked. What I learned is to be a lot more patient with customers if they are rude. The hardest part of the job was telling customers that we didn't have the product we have in store and having them to go to another store. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting guests in making sure they got all the toys they need.
distribution center
Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOJanuary 26, 2017
The salaries and hourly pay are low and they hire a lot of lower skilled people in the distribution center. Even lower level managers tend to be rougher individuals inviting in a range of lower minded issues. At a high level, the company has a good mission and values, but that seems to get lost somewhere around middle management. Hours can be up to 12 hours per day starting in October to meet the high product demand during the holidays, but that ends at Christmas. Then hours get cut back and it can be hard to get 30 hours per week during the rest of the year because the orders drop off dramatically.
Company is mostly enjoyable to work for
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Lexington, KYJanuary 23, 2017
A typical day at work would be to go in unload the truck, take items to the floor stock them on the shelves, make labels, rack items that are overstock. I have learned to read and create planograms and to train others. Management is stern but fair. The hardest part of the job is when we are short handed. The most enjoyable part of the job is my fellow employees, I get along great with everyone and helping put smiles on customers faces
Pros
Are manger sometimes buys us food
Cons
Had a manager once that tried to refuse breaks for 6 hour shifts
Fun place to work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  UtahJanuary 30, 2017
I loved the people I worked with, and all the customers who came in.it was a very fun place to work, when I would get to work I would clock in, and go Straight to my cashier or go put out restock, which ever my boss wanted me to do. If I wasn't checking someone out i was cleaning and making sure my cashier was clean. At some times it was very stressful just because i worked during the Christmas season and there was a lot of work and lots of questions from customers. I learned a lot from working here like how to use a cash register and lots of people skills.
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Stressful
Fun working environment, flexible scheduling
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLFebruary 7, 2017
Working at Toys' R' US has been a positive learning experience. As much fun as it is working with and around children, parents, and a wide toy selection, you have to remember that above all you're still responsible for providing excellent customer service. The company promotes a customer centered approach to business and advocates going above and beyond for customers so that their needs are met and they leave having the best experience possible.
Pros
flexible hours, breaks, benefits, 401k.
Cons
limited hours for part-time, little opportunity for advancement
Lots of toys for sale
Seasonal Cashier (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCFebruary 10, 2017
Not much to say since it was for a short period of time. The job was simple. Lots of walking and on your feet all day long, but got to interact with guests and that was nice. No micromanagement, yet that does not mean to lack off either. The job is a great job to make money if you are in need of a job. I would like advancement is an option just do not know of that process or time frame.
Pros
easy work, discounts, the people (customers and employees)
Cons
exposed to illnesses (sick people and handling money)
Stressful job
Human Resource Assistant/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJFebruary 11, 2017
I am not going to sugar coat this job at all, it is a tough atmosphere with customers demanding a quick answer to their questions. Management had great goals and an excellent attitude toward reaching those goals, but they were hard to carry out with unenthusiastic employees looking to go home early, but expecting to get paid more. Working there at Christmas time was the hardest, and the hours worked definitely affected personal life, but I am still gratefuI had the experience of working here.
Pros
Friendly, understanding manager.
Cons
Unpredictable hours with closing shifts.
Good company, good management, okay working environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Toys R Us provides great products for children and those alike. Working there was indeed fun: only because of the workers around me. Work was otherwise rather tough and seemingly one sided because those who are available at night usually close, which is much harder than working in the day. Compensation does not vary on that, however that is the way the cookie crumbles. The management did a good job with filling me into my position and teaching me the things I had to know. However other than that, it wasn't the most enjoyable experience.
Pros
Discounted items, sufficient breaks
Cons
Long hours, lower compensation, work difficulty depending on hours you work
Great Place to work
Switchboard Operator/Customer Care Rep/Security (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 20, 2017
Started with the company doing security, learned a little more about the company and became the Main Receptionist /Switchboard Operator , learned a little more about the company and became a Customer Care Agent.....During my duration with the company, I became well commended by the Vice Presidents, Senior Vice Presidents and CEO's of the company. Honestly, I can't think of one negative detail about the company. Great place and great people...
Great Experience
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAJanuary 19, 2017
This was my first job ever. I was super excited when I got an interview for my first job, and a little nervous. The interview was so fast it's like it never even happened. My experience at Toy's R Us was really great. I worked only seasonal during the winter. It was very busy but that is what I love. My cowokers were nice and the managers very helpful and fun to be around. I would definitely work here again. They are great people.
Pros
discounts on items, coworkers are nice
Cons
If you are only seasonal you might not get a lot of hours at first
Fun place to work and be around kids
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJanuary 25, 2017
What I did everyday was get go-backs from the front and re-stock them onto their proper shelves in proper aisles. There were also items from the back that had to be re-stocked as well. I can't remember what I learned, but I had a good time! The manager and assistant manager are really nice. They even helped stock items when they needed to.

I don't think there was a hard part of the job at all! But the most enjoyable part was making new friends.
Baby Registry Captain
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jersey City, NJJanuary 22, 2017
As the baby registry captain, I was able to work hand and hand with customers expecting new babies. I coordinated and promoted a lot of the in-store events for the baby department, I also made the welcome and follow up phone calls personally. I was not part of management but was asked consistently to fill in during lunches, and if someone was running late. The hardest part about the job was correcting a mistake in the system, and trying to make sure your customer leaves happy and will want to do business with your company again.
Pros
being able to stick to my department long enough to learn about each product
Cons
part-time, no benefits
Great job 9 months out of the year
Assembler/Back of House Full Time Associate (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, ARJanuary 22, 2017
When I was with this company, our store was fun to work at. We went through 3 store managers who moved on to bigger and better things and while they were there everything ran smoothly. Of course, November to January was a challenging time under the best of circumstances, but I was lucky to have good managers there who energized the team and were very organized.
Pros
soccer moms shop there, cool new toys
Cons
30 minute lunches, Xmas season
Toys R Us is an okay job to work
Toys R Us Electronics Cashier (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, MDJanuary 18, 2017
It is an okay job to have the people are nice and it is a nice steady pace job to work at the pay and the hours are a little bit not to my liking but all around it's a fair job. A normal day at toys r us is just working on the cash register, helping guest, and fixing the toys and making them look nice. The best part about the job is the discounts we get 10% off on anything and 20% off on snacks and candy.
Pros
We get discounts
Cons
The discount isn't much it's only 10%
A company that promotes growth within the company
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  North Attleboro, MAJanuary 17, 2017
A very fast retail environment that needs all associates working on the same page to get accomplished what needs to be done with minimal payroll. They do seem to promote within to candidates that are worthy of the promotion.

During holiday times seeing family and friends is a challenge as hours can be grueling.

Management does set clear goals directed by the company leadership team.
Pros
Clear vision of goals set forth by management
Cons
job work / life balance during holidays is very tough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys 'R' Us. Our community is ready to answer.