Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews

Found 5,979 reviews matching the search
Not a good place to work. Too many projects. They run the stores as if they have double or triple the employees. Nothing positive about the experienc
assistant manager (Current Employee) –  IllinoisDecember 27, 2016
Can be enjoyable, but there have been so many cutbacks in staffing that the management positions become 70-80 hours per week in order to get all the work done that they require.

The staffing is less than half of what it was when I was first hired. The people that end up picking up the slack are the managers because they do not get overtime.

Only concerned about the bottom line and how much profit the company makes.

No gratitude for working extra hours. It's expected.
Pros
Seeing young families and helping them.
Cons
no breaks or lunches. 70-80 hours/week
Fun Atmosphere to work in and where flexible with hours.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  South Elgin, ILJanuary 6, 2017
This was a easy job as long as you can multi task and be on your feet for long periods of time. I learned more customer service skills and managers were more then likely willing to help. Co-workers have never been a issue in any of my jobs, you just maintain professional. The hardest part about this job was around the holidays when retail stores became high demand. Having to deal with angry and impatient people. The most enjoyable was not worrying about getting enough hours.
Great company to work for
Receiving Manager (Current Employee) –  Danbury, CTDecember 17, 2016
Toys r us has a great management staff who generally cares about their employees well-being. My co workers there are great and supportive! This work environment is drama free for those who hate petty drama. Training is great, due to people who have been there for 10 plus years ago are very knowledgeable in everything. District is great and fair, which is a nice change for anyone who has worked in management. Management also does special things for their employees who work very hard.
Pros
Great management, great training.
Cons
No cons
A GREAT first job
Sales Associate- Customer Service (Former Employee) –  FLJanuary 17, 2017
This is a great company if you are looking for seasonal employment or just starting out, trying to get experience under you belt. you are expected to be at work no matter how sick you are and have to find your own coverage if you are going to be out. Compensation is horrible employed almost 8 years never made more than 8.25 an hour and no benefits unless you are a fulltime employee (only management and a select few positions or full time at 30 hrs a week)
Fun Environment
Asset Protection Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 17, 2016
A typical workday consists of providing customer service to guests as they enter the building and especially in high shrink departments. I gained valuable loss prevention experience with this company. The co-workers there would have your back in hostile situations. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting in the apprehension of shoplifters, however, this was the hardest part of the job because there were many policies that can easily be broken in a matter of seconds.
Very upbeat atmosphere, definitely a great day to day example of team work
Stock Associate (Current Employee) –  Corona, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I learned how to work on what I like to call a team latter. On a day to day bases, we needed everyone to do their part in order for the days tasks to be done correctly and in a timely fashion. My coworkers are more then helpful. My first week was filled with welcomes, congratulations and let me show you how to do this and/or that. The hardest part of the job was telling a caring parent that we no longer had the item they were looking for. But I'd have to say that the best part of the job is being able to see the smile on the parent or kids face.
Pros
Great hours, Free Lunches
Cons
bad after seasonal hours
It was fun playing with the toys with customers
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Warner Robins, GADecember 28, 2016
Stocking shelves and customer service. I learned that there are a lot of cool things out there for kids and adults to play with. As management we could have been more organized. My co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was at Christmas time making sure we had the floor stocked and the fun part was when you had that certain item that a customer wanted and they were able to get it in a timely manner.
Pros
The customers.
Cons
Christmas hours.
Leadership makes a difference
Human Resources/Front End Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bridgewater, NJDecember 28, 2016
I advanced very quickly into my HR position thanks to the support of my two managers. They, too, were promoted very quickly and consequently I was left with no more "local" connections. I found that I was being asked to perform duties without the proper support or feedback from my new managers. Communication issues within the company have resulted in poor work ethic and declining employee morale.
Pros
Babies, beautiful environment, helping new parents
Cons
Mediocre benefits and pay, poor communication, limited advancement
Nice Seasonal Job
Seasonal Stock Associate (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYJanuary 5, 2017
Start my shift at 10pm and help customers with any questions or request that they have.The management is a good role model on how a company should run, where there is a job that pays you to do the work that is required. The co-workers were nice and efficient to show me how to properly do my job and instruct me. The hardest part was probably the huge packages that had to be put away, but once it was done the rest was easy. The most enjoyable part was most likely that it was over-night so the nights were quiet, work made the time pass easily.
Pros
quiet over-night calm
good place to work
Customer Service Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Yakima, WAJanuary 11, 2017
Toys R US is a good place to work everyone I work for are all polite its a different from all the other places I have worked for. My bosses they are all really easy going bosses. we all get along with each other I guess I can say its the only job that I had with not drama at the job. my co-worker are also really easy going we all have fun at the job and we get the job done we all work as a team. The hardest part of my job is keeping the customers happy. The most enjoyable part of my job is going to work and making my co-works laugh and bosses happy.
Pros
during season we get food for lunch
Cons
hours are low after season is over
Friendly coworkers, friendly environment
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Traverse City, MIJanuary 15, 2017
Working here has been a very exciting adventure. The coworkers are great characters and they always know how to make a slow day, fun and exciting. The job in itself is always challenging, but fun.
Typical work days include overcoming any stressful rushes, but good laughs and bonding between coworkers.
Management took good care of their employees and always made sure to make it work for everyone.
Pros
Store discounts and possible food parties
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Madison, TNJanuary 13, 2017
It was a fun and fast paced place to work. They worked with my schedule and understood about life as it happens. I got raises as needed. They took a moment to say nice job when things went well. When I got bored with one department they trained me in others. The workers worked well together. It made a good team. Everyone was nice and got along. I kept moving up the ladder and always stayed busy and never bored.I have nothing more to say. This is getting rediculous. I have written enough!
Pros
everything
Cons
nothing
fun working place
SALESFLOOR ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Culver City, CADecember 18, 2016
A typical day at work would be to come in, clock in, and get assigned my section for the day. I would head over and start fixing the shelves and helping customers with any item they had trouble finding. My co-workers were friendly and everyone got along pretty well. The hardest part about my job was putting the go-backs on the shelves when the store was closed, especially if it was hard to find where it is supposed to be placed. The most enjoyable was helping customers find what they need.
Pros
long lunch, break room
Cons
alot of standing and walking
Great coworkers, always something to work on. Very productive.
Sales Team Member (Current Employee) –  Melrose Park, ILJanuary 15, 2017
Typical day at work can range anywhere between working on the registers and cleaning/straightening your register area. To working on the floor dealing with customers, cleaning the store, working on re-shop and back of house. Back of house consisted of loading/unloading trucks, stocking shelves, and online orders. All coworkers are friendly and outgoing people. Hardest part of the job is dealing with "rude" customers and fulfilling there every need. Most enjoyable part of the job are the coworkers I work with.
Its cool if you like people.
Overnight Stocker (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAJanuary 17, 2017
honestly nothing was really bad about working here its just really hard to deal with managers who yell at you for not knowing what you should be doing when you are still new and the people teaching you have also only been there for a week or two.
I wish I could have stayed to get to know my managers and showed them I wasnt an incompetent fool.
Pros
food was provided every night almost, even if the employees didnt earn it.
Cons
poor management, but I feel we could have worked on it.
Productive kid friendly workplace.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJanuary 1, 2017
I've learned from working at Toys R Us is that it's a great job experience and it has helped me become a more friendly employee and more positive individual.Toys R Us is a very diverse workplace as well. A typical day at work is meeting adorable children and putting smiles on their faces and warmth to my heart. The hardest part would have to be the overwhelming feeling of lots of customers at once. I honestly love my job an happy to be working for Toys R Us.
Great place to work as long as you do your job.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 27, 2016
Toys R Us has been a fun place to work and I love my co-workers. Every day is different but usually it is pretty slow and easy-going. During the holiday season, it is pretty busy and makes your shifts go fast. The most enjoyable part of working at Toys R Us for me is working with the customers and children. Although I love working at Toys R Us, management isn't the greatest and the hours are never the same. You could have 32 hours one week and 15 the next, so it definitely isn't stable by any means.
Pros
Co-workers, customers
Cons
Short breaks, non-stable hours
I worked at the South Ridge, Charleston WV location. Was there for 2 years.
COSTUMER SERVICE CASHIER (Former Employee) –  South Charleston, WVDecember 29, 2016
Not a great place to work. Schedules change weekly. Id go from serious overtime to 15hours a week. Even though my evaluations were always outstanding, I never received more then a 25cent raise. This company does not care about its employees. The benefits were the worst. There's no future there. Its okay for college kids, but that's it.
Pros
Cons
The company, benifits, schedule, pay, and poor management.
Good Pay, Bad Managment
DOTCOM Seasonal Hire (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOJanuary 2, 2017
Working at Toys 'R' Us as a seasonal employee was a mixed experience for me, with many different pros and cons. The pay was great with many opportunities for over-time, however the management were rude sometimes, and seemed to pick "favorites" which they would treat differently from other employees. Approaching and talking to managers and supervisors would sometimes be difficult as they would express very little care about HR and personnel problems. The work was fairly easy, and there was a large diversity in the workplace, with different races and genders. Having very little professional work experience they provided me with good beginning work experience.
Pros
Salary, Work-load
Cons
Managment
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Yonkers, NYDecember 29, 2016
A typical day at work will involve me helping customers find items online and in the store. Ringing up their merchandise also. I learned how to be a great and professional customer service rep with the help of my fellow co workers. Management could sometimes be very unprofessional but that didnt stop me from following all the rules and doing my job as best as i could. There was no hardest part i Love kids and i love helping people do what makes them happy such as shopping.The most enjoyable part was watching children smile as they got to purchase the gifts that brought them joy.
Cons
shortbreaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Toys 'R' Us. Our community is ready to answer.