Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in United States

Found 5,463 reviews matching the search
Fun Place to Work, But Not Many Opportunities for Advancement
Baby Registry Consultant (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INMarch 20, 2016
I have worked here for almost four years and know almost every position in the store. I am an expert in everything on the baby side and customers request me by name, but was passed over for a promotion due to the fact that the store manager chooses favorites. If you are not wanting to advance, and are fine with the non-competitive pay and low raises, then this is the perfect job for you. It is a fun way to learn more about toy and baby items and the guests are enjoyable to help, for the most part. The best part of the job is getting to know the expectant parents and then seeing the babies once they are born. It is a very high-paced atmosphere during Christmas season, but the days fly by. Most of the people that work there are very friendly, helpful people, but just like anywhere, there are a few bad apples.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, getting to know regular guests
Cons
Rare opportunities for advancement, management does not help on register even during busy periods
Way past the peeking point.
Guest Service Team Member (Former Employee) –  Carle Place, NYFebruary 6, 2016
There are many mixed reviews on this place if one were to scour the internet looking for them. The locations are different therefore management is as well. Being a cashier is the easiest way to learn customer service skills. Management is overworked and underpaid. Everyone is overworked and underpaid for a less than living wage. The hardest part of the job is getting along with the employees you need to get a long with. Popularity matters in the location I worked in. I enjoyed seeing the kids and helping parents make the right choices based on experience.
Pros
Lunch breaks, 401k, fast paced
Cons
Not much room to advance
friendly and welcoming staff, manager was very approachable
Temp Assignment for "Season" (Former Employee) –  Canadian Head OfficeJanuary 25, 2016
Work at "Toys "R Us' Head Office for the season in 2014/2015. The staff was very welcoming, and I was made to feel like part of the team. I was well trained. Any and all my questions were answered

The manager was very welcoming and had an open door policy. Praised and encouraged her staff daily. Rewarded her staff at the end of each month end.

Great place to work and I would highly recommend to anyone.
Pros
manager would bring in "treats" for staff a few times a week. Cafe on site, free coffee, tea
Cons
I didn't find any, really enjoyed working there
Fun place to work But not enough Pay
Human Resource Supervisor Assistant (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJJanuary 13, 2016
Working in a toy store is fun but, there are some downfalls to it as well. For example, the pay is not good and neither are the hours. They don't supply us with any hours and expect us to pay our bills. My store manager is very down to earth but he is strict as well. He tries to be fair but then he does have his favorites. I have learned patience and customer service. You can not be impatient working with people especially people that has children. My co-workers are fine some get along great while others don't. The hardest part of the job is not having hours. all of the full time people are supervisors that's it everyone else is part time and only get one maybe two days a week. We get paid bi-weekly and it does not help pay bills. The best part is working with the children. To see the smiles on their faces and talking to them is so rewarding. I love the guest that I get and they love me. My supervisors are very caring at times and that makes working with them worth while/
Pros
Working with children
Cons
Short breaks, Little pay, Healthcare, No Hours, And no raises
Not a place to advance
Customer Service/ Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COJanuary 28, 2016
Full time jobs rarely come up, they start at minimum wage. When it comes to raises they get by cheaply as possible. Good work could earn you only ten cents, which isn't really worth it. Don't get sick, because even with doctors notes they will get rid of you. Management is difficult to deal with, don't really care about their employees. I wouldn't even waste my time applying here.
Pros
paid time off, and vacation
Cons
management, minimum wage
Wonderful Experience
Cashiering/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYMarch 24, 2016
I enjoyed working for Toys R Us, it was a fast pace busy environment.
I enjoyed working with the employees, I got along very well with the employees and the many managers.
I enjoyed helping customers find what they were looking for.
I enjoyed seeing the smiles on the kids faces when they came in to pick out their favorite toy.
It was a wonderful experience.
Pros
Fun and exciting.
Cons
No healthcare or benefits.
Productivce workplace with good energy and customers always welcomed
Cashier and Salesperson (Former Employee) –  Bay Shore, NY 11706March 28, 2016
I appreciated working with Toys R Us, handled any certain serious situation in the sincerest way possible. We would get rewarded bonus points if we were able to get people to sign up for rewards. They also worked around your schedule so my school hours weren't an issue.
Pros
Free snacks, 10% off
Cons
short breaks, no health benefits, unplanned overtime
Can't wait to leave
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Rego Park, NYDecember 17, 2015
I can't stand working there, as an assembler I'm expected to build things at a timely rate. Yet, I am not given the proper tools and work area. A lot of the times I am improvising tools to get the job done. Also there are rarely an sapphires that work and walkies as well, which makes it very hard to help customers when they want to know the price of a bike or something in the wheels section. I also did not receive training and had to learn everything through other employees or on my own. The last thing is employees only receive a 10% discount on certain items, customers get better discounts than us.
Pros
I'm not a cashier
Cons
No working equipment, Broken ladders, Poor management, Benefits
Fun place to work
Customer Service Desk/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 29, 2015
Toys R Us has been a fun place to work and I love my co-workers. Every day is different but usually it is pretty slow and easy-going. During the holiday season, it is pretty busy and makes your shifts go fast. The most enjoyable part of working at Toys R Us for me is working with the customers and children. Although I love working at Toys R Us, management isn't the greatest and the hours are never the same. You could have 32 hours one week and 15 the next, so it definitely isn't stable by any means.
Pros
Co-workers, customers
Cons
short breaks, non-stable hours, benefits, management
self motivated
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Lee's Summit, MOApril 4, 2016
this company was good to work for besides the compensation was not enough for the lifting and work that was being done. the company was also only offering seasonal work, as well as the management had no involvement with the employees.

Want to know more about Toys 'R' Us?

Ask a question
Fun at work can happen
Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Rockford, IL 61108March 2, 2016
There is a general expectation to have fun working at a toy store. More often than not, this expectation is met or exceeded by the quality employees the company tends to employ. The benefits are extremely competitive, provided you are able to secure full time employment status.
Pros
Competitive benefits
Cons
Extremely tight labor budget
Great Place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJMarch 13, 2016
Lots of work but coworkers make it fun. If you work hard and are a good performer you will be recognized. Benefits are not great. Everyone pitches in an is willing to help.
Pros
Great people
Benefits
Fun Perks, Employee convenience, Starbucks and Gym
Planner, Space Management (Current Employee) –  Wayne, NJFebruary 22, 2016
I am grateful to have the opportunity to work for Toys R Us. It has been an excellent learning experience for me and I have connected with some of the greatest people within the company. I am thankful for my co-workers and the many friendships that I have made during my time here. Although it has been enjoyable, it also has been challenging to work in the toy business as I wish to advance in the Fashion industry where I truly see myself thriving in. I am seeking to grow within corporate retail to take on more responsibilities and new challenges.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Positive Company Culture, Beautiful Campus, Teamwork
Cons
Low employee moral, Not as fun of a workplace as expected, Very few advancement opportunities
productive workplace awesome managment
Cashier/ Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLApril 4, 2016
sometimes got to be stressful but doctors and co workers were very helpful
long lunch breaks sometimes free
very good benefits
Pros
healthcare long breaks
Cons
stressful sometimes
great place to work
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Mentor, OHFebruary 18, 2016
great place to work! builds customer service and management skills. competitive yet still a family. this job is perfect for anyone who loves to work retail.
Pros
great skills learned
Cons
not the best benefits
fun work environment, productive
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILFebruary 18, 2016
I liked it and probably would have stayed if I wasn't a seasonal employee. The only thing that wasn't so great is the employee discount, I think it was like 10 percent off but that isn't a cheap store, at all. so it was basically nothing.
Pros
free lunches sometimes, good work hours
Cons
not really any employee benefits
Compensation is to low
Human Resources Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Dedham, MAMarch 17, 2016
For the amount of work a supervisor does and the time that they put in the compensation is not to standard. The amount of time given to the employees for the work to be done is not realistic.
Pros
Cons
Odd hours
good place to start working
Store Receiving Specialist (Former Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAJanuary 14, 2016
i enjoyed my time at Toys R Us
i was able to advanced to several different position and succeed
i enjoyed my with all the people that i meet and befriended
great place to be when its in full swing during season
Pros
promotion, decent raises, good vibe
Cons
training untrainable people
toys r us is a nice place to work they make it fun to work and yu enjoy yourslf cause they tell you to make sure you have fun
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYJanuary 19, 2016
its a fun place to work at and i worked with friendly people..Management was very nice..we all work as a team. i was hired for holiday help i wish they would of kept me
Pros
discounts
Cons
health benifits
Great, Fun Work Place
Shipping Receiving Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mays Landing, NJMarch 20, 2016
Fun Workplace if you love kids! Benefits are not good at all. Hard Work is Payed off in words not in compensation. Coworkers are very nice and helpful.