Toys 'R' Us Employee Reviews in United States

Found 5,255 reviews matching the search
Not so good anymore
SEASONAL SALES TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  La Mesa, CAMay 5, 2016
Toys R Us used to be fun to work at. They use to care about their employees. Now they don't. One of the days I was working I got a call saying my grandma passed away and they wouldn't let me leave work or even take a 10 minute break to gather myself. They run their employees into the ground and they use to never be like that. I think they could use a change of heart and go back to making it fun. Since I worked there a lot of people have left the store due to the management.
Pros
met some great people
Cons
Management is horrible
Good training, but high turnover rate.
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMay 10, 2016
This place had its ups and downs. The good part was I was getting paid to work out at a steady pace which was easily maintained with minimal effort. The bad parts were that the job was seasonal so a lot of people including myself were let go. Also, after the manager I learned everything from left, the place turned into a "Hire anyone" environment. There were all sorts of drug addicts and people convicted of crimes that still got the job.
Pros
Training, fun
Cons
Felt unsafe, turnover rate, hours, minimum raises per year.
Who didn't enjoy working with Toys
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Lithonia, GAMay 22, 2016
Started out as a seasonal worker. And shortly hired as a full time employee as a stock clerk. my duties included unloading trucks. after a few months I was promoted to a sales clerk for the boys department. wish I stocked the boys department greeted costumers and help the find the correct toys for there children... after a year I was ask to join the remolding crew. I drove around helping other stores remodel their stores. At first I had trouble reading the diagrams to the shelves. But quickly caught on to it. I enjoyed traveling to other stores meeting new people. mostly important we was on the move to different store each month
Pros
i knew what each new toy came out
Cons
It was quick, but it was a good learning experiance.
Seasonal Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTMay 14, 2016
Toys R Us was my first real job and there I learned how to work as team and with the large amount of seasonal workers meant that we were never understaffed and could always get stuff done, as a seasonal worker I had a specific job with the occasional helping out in other places at the store, but my schedule was pretty routine.
Pros
teamwork building, first job, learning experiance
Cons
average pay, not much hours and really late work.
Fast pace active environment
Back of House Department Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, TXMay 14, 2016
Most days were busy mainly around the weekend and the holiday season. During Season the store was chaotic, but the we always managed as a team to put our best foot forward. The management was rough do to the lack of Supervisors and Managers. At some point the team feel apart and we weren't a team anymore. Those days were the hardest because it felt like every man for themselves. The best part of my day would be helping the guest find exactly what they were looking for and that they are pleased with their visit.
Pros
The Support of a strong team at times.
Cons
Stressful Environment
Really nice and fun place to work!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Van Nuys, CAMay 16, 2016
Medium paced business, stayed at cash register and maintained area or stayed on the floor the whole shift to put returned items back on shelves.
I learned how to stock items.
Management was great, schedule updated when expected, really good hours.
I made friends with 4 co-workers, others were pretty rude.
Hardest part of the job was trying to ignore those who were rude.
The most enjoyable part was working on the floor.
Pros
free snacks on break, great pay
Cons
rude employees
Awful
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMay 18, 2016
Management was bad. As a part time employee i worked between 20 36 hours a week. Hard to get off if you needed to be somewhere as well as getting in trouble for trading shifts. Would be held in store longer than scheduled and not allowed to leave while I still had schoolwork to do at 9:30 at night when shift ended at 9 because the store wasn't entirely straightened with plenty of people still working. Much of the management did not do very much. Sat around and watched other people.
Productive work, Amazing team
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 27, 2016
Helped customers find certain toys, Cleaned the store.
I learned that I can handle more stress than I thought.
Some of the management knew what to do , and how to handle certain co workers.
Some co workers got a way with showing up late, or not showing up at all.
I think the hardest part of the job was that some customers thought that just because I was a cashier I could give them a discount even when my manager told them that I can't.
The most enjoyable part of my job was when I got to play as Geoffrey the giraffe and seeing the smiles on the children's faces.
Pros
The discounts when I bought toys for my daughter
Cons
There were some people who got special treatment
Change in Management change a good working atmosphere
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Concord, NCMay 22, 2016
This is one of the best place I ever worked at because I got to be in a working place that catered to the young and young at heart, the place where it had one of a kind items for now and the olden years. Being in a working place where everyone was like family instead of workers. I would still be there if I downsized from 5-6 days, 4-5 hrs. a day to 1 day 4 hrs. I couldn't support a family on 1 day a week so I left with good feelings about the store, not new management. The work was ok and uncomplicated. I also enjoyed all the perks of working in a place that exclusive items that no one else carry.
Pros
Working in nearby Disneyland and Ice Cream shop together.
Cons
Being downsized and no negotiation
Great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAApril 25, 2016
I loved working here. The other employees were very friendly and helpful. Never any drama. The managers, and supervisors were all nice and understanding. Everyone was fun to work with and be around. The most enjoyable part of working here was seeing the child(ren) leave the store happy and excited. Knowing you helped make a childs day was very rewarding. One of the hardest things about working there was the unpleasant customers. Luckily, we had wonderful managers who loved to please their customers and did what ever it took.
Long hours, a lot of work and no pay
Department supervisor (Current Employee) –  Norwalk, CTMay 26, 2016
Long hours with not enough pay. Teammates calling out and leaving management to deal with it. Some of the higher management doesn't care about the employees. The hardest part of the job is to complete the tasks in an unrealistic time. Being around toys and fellow friends are probably the best part of the job.
Pros
friends, toys and I have learned about managment
Cons
No job advancement, low moral, they don't care about their employees.
Toys r us
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Plantation, FLApril 22, 2016
I liked working for Toys R Us. I have been working there for 10 1/2 yrs. There have been many times a job has come up that I have done many times, I was told recently that I was not getting to move up at all due to the fact that I was not replaceable on the register because I get the metrics for the store even though I am qualified for the positions that became available to me. I wanted a change to advance in my work.
Pros
10% off your purchases
Cons
advancement
I would not recommend this to anyone.
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ILApril 21, 2016
I was very optimistic about working at Toys R Us, as I have always shopped there, but the place is very disappointing. Management ignores any issues and takes advantage of new workers. There is no positive encouragement and you are only trained in a few areas. They expect you to know everything when you join, even if they know you have no retail expertise.
Pros
Close Location
Cons
No good benefits, low pay, negative atmosphere, terrible management
Close late, barely any breaks
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 20, 2016
Worked as a cashier at the Aramingo store for seasonal. Definitely not worth $8 an hour. Worked over 8 hours on Christmas Eve and did not receive one break even though I kept asking. If you are working til close expect to leave around 2-4am sometimes. Supervisor doesn't make a good schedule and will make you work til close (4am) and open the next day at 7am. Also you can't just stand at the register if you have no costumers you always have to be moving and doing something or you'll get yelled at. Most of the people working here were rude.
Cons
No breaks, bad schedules
Fun if your a teen
Team Member/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CAApril 19, 2016
Toys R us is a fun place to work at for about 3 months. After, that it really losses it charm. The Store could use a better management team. I don't see the point of have so many 5 supervisors and 3 managers if none of them have any leadership and/or people skills. the store is always a mess and it really gets annoying when management is constantly asking for more credit card sign ups. Besides the terrible management team, Toys R Us is an okay place to work.
Cons
management team
Very open community
Money Counter (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 18, 2016
I would get there before the store would open because my job was to count the safe and take care of the registers for the day. When I was done with that I would stock shelves until the store opened, then I would go to customer service and work there. It was a very open community and the people were very close to each other. I had to learn a lot in very little time so remembering everything was a lot but I enjoyed the challenge. Once I understood how to do everything, the job became more enjoyable.
Pros
Breaks
Cons
N/A
It's a fun place to be and you are never bored!
Electronics Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 15, 2016
Working day to day can get a bit repetitive, but it's never boring because so much happens in one day and we are always busy! Working at Toys R Us, I learned patience, you have to be patient when dealing with children and also sometimes with parents! My coworkers are amazing, they always make the time go by quickly. The hardest part of the job is probably product knowledge on the Babies side of the store because I work on Toys side. The most enjoyable port of the job is being able to see the new toys and games before they come out!
Pros
10% Employee discount
Cons
Recovering before closing can take a long time
Not the greatest job
Stocking, Receiving, and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Middletown, NY 10940April 14, 2016
There really wasn't a typical day because things would change so often. I learned how to adapt and become comfortable with a changing environment. Management was horrible no real people skills or patience. Co-workers were awesome very kind and caring. the hardest part was adapting to change everytime you walked in the door. Most enjoyable part was leaving and finding as better job.
Pros
your employed
Cons
short breaks, impatient management, speratic hours
Fun Workplace
Cashier and Salesperson (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INApril 14, 2016
I have learned a lot while working at Babies R Us. My co-workers and managers are wonderful, fun people to work with. I've learned how to help customers find what they want, in store and online. I've learned more about the products that Babies R Us carries. The hardest part of the job is dealing with some of the customers at times. But the most enjoyable part of the job is helping other people.
Pros
good management, flexible with personal schedules
Cons
low pay
Fast paced and fun workplace
Sales Team Member (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 21, 2016
Customers are very nice and i learned how to use a lot of equipment and how to do work in the Bays. Very simple job but fast paced, easy to forget a task for another customers request. Overall I really enjoyed working there with the employees and enjoyed helping customers find what they was looking for when they come in.
Pros
Friendly customers, employees help when needed
Cons
Not enough hours, equipment doesn't work all the time