Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Employer Reviews

Fun and Happy workplace
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Orange, CAJanuary 23, 2015
My day would start off by checking in and stocking the product that I ordered. I would then go to lunch. I would then cashier for a couple hours. Finally I would take inventory of my back stock and write my order for the next day. I learned how to keep accurate records of my inventory and how to order the right amount of product. Management was excellent, very personable and willing to teach. I enjoyed my co-workers, everyone was happy-go-lucky and fun to work with (very teamwork orientated). The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with my co-workers (many of us became friends outside of work), customer service was also an enjoyable aspect of the job.
Fun Crew Members
Crew Member (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: crew members are very friendly.
Cons: no advancement.
I loved the people that i worked with. FUN. But there is no advancement opportunities within the company. If you enjoy being a crew member for life, then this is the place for you. Plus, after i graduated from a 4yr Accredited University, i wanted more.
Enjoyable work experience, great benefits
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee), Shrewsbury, MAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great people, good benefits, nice work environment
Cons: some heavy lifting, somewhat physically demanding
Trader Joe's is well known for its excellent customer service. The company facilitates a great staff by offering a very good benefit package, a warm work environment and a positive management philosophy. The hours are flexible and the entire staff is fun and vibrant to be around. While the company is known for great service, there is also a lot of physical labor involved, including unloading delivery trucks, stocking shelves and light maintenance. Every employee is expected to be knowledgeable about the variety of products and departments in the store, and every worker has a varied shift that might include working the register, dairy box, produce & bread sections, as well stocking the grocery aisle during a shift. This variety goes a long way toward keeping us alert to new items and customer favorites and also keeps each shift far from monotonous.
Exciting,Educational,Culture
Merchant (Former Employee), Sherman Oaks, CAJanuary 19, 2015
Pros: 10% discount/offer tastings for product knowledge
Cons: geetting into the company (hired).
Trader Joe's has a loyal following of base customers,which is like the employee's.Once your in the company,your in for a long ride.It's fun,very educational,great starting wages,as well as raises,and benefits. But requires 100% customer services,one on one customer engagement.The company takes pride in customer service, it's one of their core vaules.Co workers are extremely sociable and socialize both in and out of the stores.Meet plenty of people,friends,and make connections.
Great place to work, but management could be more professional
Cashier (Former Employee), Washington, DCJanuary 16, 2015
I loved working at Trader Joe's. To see the customers excited to shop there made me excited to assist them. I usually started my work day at 5:00 a.m. I would come in and begin stocking the different sections throughout the store. We would open at 9:00 a.m. and from there the day would begin. I would rotate from the cash register to working the floor to greeting customers and ending with working the demo station.
Fast pace
Order Filler (Former Employee), Fontana, CAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: pizza party
Cons: fire drills
Needs to hire employees more often take to long to hire people on for an permit position.
Productive and busy place to work
Store Associate (Former Employee), Tucson, AZJanuary 14, 2015
I was constantly on the go. Developed customer service skills and learned a lot about the food market.
fun work environment, but not greatest pay
Crew Member (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: food discount, cool employees, great work environment
Cons: not the best pay, customer service gripes
typical days at work are broken up into 1-2 hour task blocks so it keeps you moving all day long and prevents boredom. all the people who work there are really nice and cool and creative. i love the company and the ethics that drive it, but unfortunately there is limited room to move up into management despite the plans for the company to grow so much, and it also requires you to travel quite a bit if you do. just something to keep in mind. its customer service at the end of the day so, there's that. but working with awesome, open minded people makes it worthwhile.
Fun job
Crew Member/Cook (Former Employee), Chapel Hill, NCDecember 12, 2014
Pros: great benifits
Cons: management disconect. lack of sleep through rotating shifts
Don't plan on regular hours or sleep. Management tries to scapegoat employees on everything that goes wrong. From rewriting my orders then blaming me when stuff runs out, to generally not communicating well. The crew (non management) is great through.
Great for students, pays more than average retail job
Sales and Stock (Current Employee), New York, NYDecember 9, 2014
Pros: decent starting pay, schedule flexibility, upbeat, eat food all the time
Cons: part-time only, no vacation time, over-time, sick days
Starting pay is great, theres schedule flexibility. Very hard strenuous work, but great environment depending on store location.
Good place to learn
Customer Service (Current Employee), Wellington, FLNovember 14, 2014
Pros: large firm, lot of work
Cons: bad management
Good place to learn, recent law graduates. Large firm, lot of coworkers to gain experience from
Great Company
Crew Member/Crew Leader (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 11, 2014
Pros: healthcare
Cons: part time
Loving to give the customers a WOW experience! Great crew members,
A work experience you can't beat
Crew Member (Current Employee), Montrose, CaNovember 10, 2014
Pros: flexibility, management, environment, food, great benefits, insurance
Cons: long hours of physical work, shifts can be as early as 4am and as late as 1am
A day at Trader Joe's focuses on customer service skills, food knowledge, productivity and communication. It is not a job for those who do not enjoy a fast paced environment, because you will be on your feet for most of your 8 hour shift. But you cannot beat the environment or the benefits, considering this is an entry level job. A lot of physical work is required (lifting, bending, etc.) and shouldn't be taken on by those who have physical health issues.
Since food knowledge is a large part of our job, we have food and wine tastings, where we are paid for a half hour of our shift, weekly, to just eat, and talk and laugh.
Fast paced, fun work environment
Assistant General Manager (Mate) (Current Employee), Jenkintown, PANovember 1, 2014
Fast paced work environment with great compensation, culture and generous benefits.
Fun co-workers
crewmember/manager (Former Employee), north carolinaOctober 23, 2014
Enjoyed the stores I worked at, but didnt enjoy the changes and values in the company.
Fun easy going atomosphere
Crew Member (Current Employee), Cerritos, CAOctober 18, 2014
Pros: casual attire. it is our job to be friendly and get to know our customers, we are able to engage in conversation with our co-workers while on the job.
Cons: not being noticed, over looked, it happens in every store and at every job!
I would arrive in my Trader Joe's T-shirt, shorts or long pants and tennis shoes. I would say hello to everyone as I walk in whether it be co-workers or customers, greeting everyone allows me to start my day off in high spirits.

Most everyone is fun to be around, but you always have a few that should not be there but are.

Management is very good, but sometimes overlooks a few good people that are qualified to work in other areas of the store, sometimes being fair is hard for some in management.

I enjoy my customers and my co-workers very much but my favorite thing to do is to create a project and maintain it for the time it is needed to remain, then start all over with a new project.
Fun, productive, supportive environment
Mate (Assistant Store Manager) (Current Employee), Des Peres, MOOctober 17, 2014
Pros: great positive atmosphere
Cons: inconsistent hours
A typical day from open to close consists of stalking both dry and perishable sections, cleaning the store where needed, tending to customer needs, training new employees, cash handling, running a register, receiving deliveries, conducting interviews, writing orders, and maintaining back stock. I learned how to manage many different people all with different personalities, how to make snap decisions, how to make and achieve goals for the store and myself, and the ins and outs of running a store. Management is overall fair and supportive. Trader Joe's attracts a unique and diverse group of people to work at the stores making it a fun and educational experience. My co-workers have been fun, supportive, hardworking, and outgoing throughout my career. The hardest part of the job is the disciplinary part, this is very necessary piece of running a business. Being involved in this process has taught me a lot about dealing with all sorts of different people. The most enjoyable part of this job is the people I've met whether it be Crew or customers. Customers know me by name and have come to me for advice with food and alcohol.
a fun atmosphere and fun products to work with
Crew Memeber (Former Employee), El Cerrito, CAOctober 15, 2014
Pros: good pay for retail and decent advancement opportunities
Cons: lots of angry customers and many managers have their own agendas
a day at work consists of interacting with many customers from the community. co -workers are awesome and management is decent. working with the customers is both the funnest and hardest part of the job depending on their moods and needs.
Wonderful Place to Work
Crew Member (Current Employee), Olympia, WAOctober 4, 2014
Pros: tastings, benefits, great co-workers, awesome management.
I love this job. It has taught me so much and helped me grow personally. The company, as a whole, is the most wonderful company I've worked for. They really care about their employees and take great care of them. The benefits are amazing, and the employees are like family. This job has given me confidence in my work life, when before, I didn't feel like I was good enough or appreciated. I am thanked every day for my hard work and that alone makes this company wonderful.
Productive and fun workplace.
Grocery Clerk (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 1, 2014
Great place to work with a fun crew. Gained excellent customer service experience.

1 2 3 4 5

About Trader Joe's

When it comes to grocery chains, Trader Joe's isn't your average Joe. With some 375 stores in 30-plus states, the company offers – Read more