Trader Joe's Employee Reviews

Do not work for this company
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nazareth, PAFebruary 6, 2016
You are brought in as a temp with a promise of full-time employment and a raise after 90 days but it never happens. The only hire temps and find ways to terminate them instead of bringing them on full-time.
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 3, 2016
I love working for trader joes. Its definitely unlike any other job I have had. I enjoy coming to work everyday. A typical day at work for me is coming in at 4 am, stocking shelves, taking the truck with our daily delivery, getting the store ready for opening at 8am. After that I'm normally on register for a couple hours and then I go home. I love chatting with customers, and trying all the new products!
Very great advancement possibilities.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 29, 2016
This was a great job while going to school. It was hard work but very rewarding. Talking to customers was fun and I learned new things about products every day.
fun
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 18, 2016
It was great working for trader Joe's. I liked that every 2 hours everyone rotates their duties. If you're on the cash register then you will switch to working on the floor or stock room.
Great Place to Work
CREW MEMBER, TRADER JOE'S (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 13, 2016
One of the best places to work, great benefits, great pay, and great atmosphere. My coworkers were very friendly and welcoming. All managers were kind and respectful.
Pros
Cons
Handwork, not intended for people with joint problem
Awesome place to work!
Store Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Company is growing and very exciting place to work. Fun. Great benefits too! Plenty of opportunity if you want it. Management is always listening.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
lots of changes
Productive and fun place to work with a lot of happy people.
Customer service team (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 12, 2016
Trader Joe's is an excellent place to be employed. There is plenty of room for advancement, and the atmosphere was always fun and light with so many like minded people interested in good food fro their bodies.
Pros
Sampling the new items were also a plus!!
productive;
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILJanuary 5, 2016
The day will start with a meeting discussing what is to go on today and a quick review of the day before. Then given your tasks and almost seemed like you were given the tasks inorder to be completed in the order your recieved them in.
Productive and great environment work place
Quality Assurance Auditor (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILJanuary 3, 2016
This company is productive and very efficient on a everyday basis.Great learning experience and will keep you on you feet. Co-workers are friendly and good teamwork to keep the workflow steady. Management is helpful and always there to help assist my your side when needed.
Pros
Learning experiences
Cons
Lunch Breaks
Flexible schedule, good benefits
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 28, 2015
Crew members are responsible for cashiering, writing orders, general stocking, customer service and maintenance. The job did help provide a new knowledge of food and Nutrition.
Hard work fun environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 17, 2015
Trader Joe's is what you would expect from working in a grocery store, but slightly better. The environment was fun and relaxed and the workers were of a high caliber. It is exhausting work (especially if you are not naturally great with people), but you get moved around frequently so boredom is rarely an issue. Ultimately, though, if you find it difficult to strike up lively conversations with strangers and maintain a cheesy level of enthusiasm for 8 hours, you will have a hard time getting raises.
Pros
Free food, slightly better pay than other retailers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Finicky managers, impossibly high standards
Flexible, Fun, Excellent Management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHDecember 17, 2015
Trader Joe's is so much more than a grocery store. It's a place where you find friends and family. Even on the toughest of days when we may be feeling overwhelmed, we can always count on our crew, mates, merchants, and captain to help us through. The communication at TJ's is the best, because we understand what it means to work as a team. Even with our mates, merchants, and captain it never feels like a hierarchy. We all do the work, we all advance, and we all have a say.

The hardest part of the job is the labour. If you work at TJ's and cannot handle the physical work, then the hardest part is saying goodbye.

My favorite part of this job is seeing the joy we bring to everyone who walks through those doors. Handing someone a bouquet of flowers and watching their eyes light up always makes my day better.

I could write pages about what Trader Joe's has done for me, how they have changed my world. For now, since this is Indeed.com, I'll just say, it's the best job I've ever had and I will miss them greatly.
Trader joe's
Sign Artist/ Order Writer (Current Employee) –  Kent, WADecember 16, 2015
Getting more corporatized and my store in particular is spread very thin. I'm an artist and the deadlines are sometimes unrealistic with the amount of time given. The culture and people are great though.
Pros
fun environment, teamwork
Cons
helms
Working conditions and environment
Crew Associate, Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 16, 2015
Costco wholesale is great company overall. There is too much favoritism within the company. They make others work twice as hard other to get a promotion. And some employees are promoted with very poor productivity and work pace.
Pros
Pay, employees, benefits
Cons
Politics and favoritism
A family
Crew Member/Section Leader/Crew Trainer/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Rego Park, NYDecember 15, 2015
Always busy, time goes fast. But sometimes it's insanely crowded, bit stressful. Learned a lot from this place to be honest, made me a better person all-together. Love the managers and my co-workers.
Pros
A good positive vibe most of the time.
Cons
Too crowded, too much to handle.
playing grocery store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 14, 2015
trader joes was fun most customers made it easier to work there. training wasnt transparent enough for me but i was only there for holiday help anyway so i just did as i was told . i learned alot about the price difference between grocery stores and the different organic foods we sold. management wasnt the best but i loved the customers . co-workers were even cool i didnt come to make any friends but it ended up that way some how.
Pros
pay, healthcare, free gym memberships
Cons
misleading management.
Company has changed for the worse: Faux progressivism
crew member (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 14, 2015
Trader Joe's…what a great place--to shop. When I started at Trader Joe's five years ago it actually was a pretty good place to work. The starting pay was average for the time, $10/hr. The benefits were good and what a great 401K plan. The hours were relatively flexible and it was incredibly laid-back and fun. Most everyone worked hard and it was a fun environment. The customers could sense this genuine good feeling, and everyone was happy. You could basically choose what kind of work you wanted to do depending on your interest (demo, cashier, stocking, helms, etc.) The raises were great too. The company really stuck to their core values of integrity and "kaizen" (constant improvement and betterment for customers and workers.)

However, this is no longer the case. Trader Joe's now merely pays lip service to these values as it has become more corporate and profit-focused. In 2013, the company eliminated health insurance for anyone working under 30 hours per week, and the year prior to that cut back on raises. The 401K disbursements, while arguably better than many other companies, also shrank by one-third. In the meantime, profits and sales were on the rise and Trader Joe's began to open more stores than ever. There are no shareholders, so all this money goes to fund the members of one of the wealthiest families in Europe. Meanwhile, the average crew member does not earn a living wage and hours are not consistent. These changes led to many of my great co-workers leaving the company. The new people they hired have no idea how it used to be. All they know is it is better than
  more... their old job at Wal-Mart. Grapes of Wrath anyone?

I've gotten all my raises and had glowing reviews, but I still make less than $15/hr. When I moved to a new city with a higher cost of living I found out that they were starting some new crew members at nearly what I was making even though I had been with the company for almost five years. They refused to raise my pay to match the cost of living or inflation. I barely make more than Chicago minimum wage now. This is totally unacceptable.

At the store I work at, everything an employee does is now highly micro-managed. There is no say in what kind of work one prefers. Managers constantly watch employees. There are no, "thanks for doing a great job." They are just ready to pounce on you when you stop to take a breath. There are no breaks. Yet, we are still expected to pretend to be happy Trader Joe's crew members in the hyperreality of Trader Joe's.

Granted, after reading the reviews here, many crew members like working for Trader Joe's. Yet, it is my firm belief that they are not class conscious, or, as I mentioned, they are new so they don't know how good it used to be. They only know it is better than slaving in a warehouse or for Wal-Mart. And, yes it is. The management constantly tells us this too, as the company whittles away benefits. However, comparing Trader Joe's to Wal-Mart is like comparing something to dog ****. Of course anything is better than dog ****, so the logic is misguided and incredibly misleading. What happened to kaizen?

Alienation: Even with the nominal ten-percent discount on food (meaning Trader Joe's makes profits off me too) I cannot afford to shop at Trader Joe's for much more than milk and three-buck chuck. I find it amusing when a customer asks what I think of the $9 gluten-free halibut, when I could never afford to buy it myself. So, when someone asks me what I think about something I tell them I buy most of my groceries at Sav-a-lot down the street.

Yes, there are many ignorantly happy crew members at Trader Joe's. Yet, I am not alone in my feelings. I would say at least half of the crew members I work with feel the same way I do, but they are afraid to speak up because they don't want to be targeted by management or lose out on their next raise. Some also have the delusion of getting into management, even though it is very difficult and the pay raise for becoming a "mate" is small (unless you are hired into a mate position from outside the company, then you may get the 75K they profess.)

Yet, there is a solution to this problem: Crew members unite and UNIONIZE. Kaizen!
great place to work.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GADecember 4, 2015
i love Trader Joe's! A great company to work for, a great company to buy from. I trust Trader Joe's to bring good food to the table.
Great Place to work
Store Artist/Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Rego Park, NYDecember 1, 2015
Stocking, Cash handling, Customer service.

Great management and co-workers. There is a feeling like you are a part of something that gives back to the community
This was the best place to work for a long time
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  West Hartford, CTNovember 30, 2015
The best atmosphere to work in. I loved my customers, watched their kids grow, it was very hard to leave. Everyone was always happy and ready to help.
Pros
90% are a happy bunch of people
Cons
Get a sour grape in the bunch and it's done

4.2