Trader Joe's Employee Reviews

Excellent working environment
Crew Member, order writer, sales (Current Employee) –  Hanover, MAJanuary 22, 2017
I would recommend anyone who is looking for a job that offers a great, fun and busy working environment to come and check Trader Joe's employment opportunities out. Excellent competitive wages especially working in a grocery store. I'm not aware of any other that compares.
Pros
Friendly working environment, competitive wages and great benefits for part-time work
Like your back to school
Puller (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Bad work environment as if your in high school people turn over rate daily new people come in and daily people leave stay to yourself if you want to work here
Pros
Cons
Like a high school
It was productive
Puller/Packer (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CAJanuary 15, 2017
I had fun working at trader Joe's. The company worker was very nice and some of the lead was good too. They gave the workers alot of overtime. And we was able to switch to differ departmentso when we was done with our department.
Pros
It should be longer lunch
Cons
The job was good. But some of the workwr was very inappropriate
Fun work atmosphere
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAJanuary 11, 2017
Everyone is always in a good mood so it makes the work day very pleasurable. Hardest part of the job is the late shifts. Typical day at work consists of working register, talking to customers, and pulling products to stock shelves.
fun
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJanuary 10, 2017
Fun, exciting, always meeting new customers with eclectic tastes in food.
Sampling of new products was a regular part of our job so we could recommend products to customers.

Well thought out and clean stock areas, easy access to backstock, coworkers are friendly, part of a teem,

Management very supportive of new ideas,regarding merchandising, stocking, product placement, from all employees.
Pros
Many tastings of products, back rooms clean, flexible hours, great staff.
Great, but management takes themselves too seriously
Trader Joe's Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 10, 2017
It's a great job, but the small store size and lack of diversity in employees results in constant highschool drama. Management holds secret meetings where they file petty complaints about employees. There's a complete lack of transparency, although captains also aren't shy about playing favorites.

Still, the benefits are good (vision/dental/PPO) and the pay is quality for similar jobs. Retail management is almost always terrible.
Pros
Free food, flexible work day, good scheduling
Cons
Bad management, unqualified management
Crew
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJanuary 6, 2017
Fun place but hard fast work...lots of variety changes every hour or two.

Customer facing, food facing, demo wine and food. hours from 6 AM to 11 PM to open and close. really varied age group and cultures.

If you work hard the team becomes like a family
Pros
10% Discount
Cons
Less than 30 hrs and all weekends
Absolutely fun place to work, healthy food options, and medical benefits
Trader Joe's Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 3, 2017
Flexible, considerate, and understanding with life circumstances. Amazing staff in crew members and mates. Great non judgmental environment to nurture the position as your best self
Fun Place
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAJanuary 2, 2017
i enjoyed working at Trader Joe's! If you're reading this, apply at Trader Joe's! You will like it my friend. Go ahead and apply.
Great place to work with room for growth.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 29, 2016
Work consisted of a new job each hour, which kept the days going pretty steadily. Management is supportive and easy to work with, and my co-workers made my job enjoyable. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the occasional unhappy customer, but it was neither here nor there. Most of the time, the problem was fixable and we would go on with our day. I learned a different type of teamwork working for Trader Joe's. There was genuine care for each other, and we pushed one another to be the best we could be. Our first hour could consist of a register, then the following hour would be in produce, stocking, and rotating product. Another hour could be "helmsing" which was focusing on customer experience, and making sure everyone was finding what they needed, and answering any questions customers had. Our lunch was an hour for an 8-hour shift, and then we could have another hour of being on a register or an hour of cleaning the facilities and the back rooms, as well as changing out the trash cans around the store. There was an hour for cart pulling, amongst other things. The job was never boring.
Excellent company,excellent crew
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Centreville, VADecember 26, 2016
Great place to work! Love the benefits and team effort everyone has for one another. Best job i ever had. So close to the house for easy traveling. Great food.
Pros
People
Cons
No overtime
Productive and fun place to work with a great group of co-workers.
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Lathrop, CADecember 23, 2016
This company has an incredible group of people, everybody is up beat and down to earth. The company parties and bar-be-ques were great it was nice to meet other co-workers from other sifts.
Pros
Company parties
Cons
Short breaks
Fun place to work with great people and customers
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Sammamish, WADecember 22, 2016
Great company and fun place to work! I liked that you didn't do the same thing all day. Body mechanics and ware were a concern and the changes in activities made the day more interesting.
Solid Job
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Maple Grove, MNDecember 22, 2016
A typical day is comprised of working with customers, as well as putting up a lot of product and then possibly running out to bring carts in or cleaning an area.

I have learned a ton of customer service since beginning work there and the store and management does a great job at making customers feel welcome and important.

At the location I work at, Maple Grove MN, the assistant managers (called Mates) do a fairly good job. The general manager (called The Captain) can be a bit frustrating and is at points very hard to relate to.
Pros
Great healthcare, good 401(k), good starting pay and advancements
Cons
unpaid lunch, bad management, monotonous work
The wonderful T.J's culture died with Joe!
Artist (Former Employee) –  Leawood, KSDecember 15, 2016
I worked so very hard and it was never enough for management. They ALWAYS say a person has room for improvement and should do better. Since old man Joe died 4 years ago, they are managed by his family and are only interested in profit.
Half the crew was fired because "We were making too much". We were started at a higher rate of pay when Joe was alive. Now they hire at much lower rate of pay and will refuse raises for a bogus reasons. They are growing the company from 5 stores a year to hundreds. Because of this rapid growth they are putting people in management positions that can't lead and have no compassion. The T J fine culture died with Joe!
It's only a good job if you get a good Captain, but just as you get to know one they switch them out with another because of the fast growing rate of new stores. It's a constant training ground.
Pros
They have good food.
Cons
Coworkers are encouraged to tattle an each other.
Its ok
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYDecember 14, 2016
its ok. Compensation is not worth it. Chill and relaxed people that is it. 2% of the people do 98% of the work...........................................
great
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Fontana, CADecember 14, 2016
awesome people. great cloths. easy to work the boxes. clean facility. great work space and employees. great hours. great break rooms.
Great place to work, full of positive people.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  West Hills, CADecember 12, 2016
A typical day at Trader Joe's was usually walking in and cashiering for about two hours, changing to a different department. Everyone did everything here. I learned a lot about people and the most important thing I learned was that you always have to stop and listen to their needs especially if you want to be successful at helping them. The management was usually good at how they wrote the schedule for the day. One of the hardest things working for this company was that the company would discontinue items all the time and explaining it to customers was difficult at times. The most enjoyable thing about this job was learning a lot of new things and trying new foods.
Pros
Always learing something new or trying something new.
Cons
There were a lot of times i would close and leave by midnight then have to be back at 3 a.m.
Love this place.
Assistant Supervisor (Mate) (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXDecember 9, 2016
I love the fact that this place makes you feel like family here. The managers and coworkers are super friendly and encouraging us to start a conversation with each customer.
Encouraged a team enviorment. Providing excellent customer service.
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CADecember 9, 2016
High paced call center. Managed 20 employees. Always encouraging a team effort. Support and dedication were the key to our success. Excellent team environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2