Trader Joe's Employee Reviews

It's ok atmosphere
Artist (Former Employee) –  Naples, FLDecember 2, 2016
The company has changed drastically over the years. It's not the wholesome grocery store it used to be. What was once a fun atmosphere that made Trader Joe's what it is today, is now becoming more like any other grocery store.
Pros
Benefits are great
Cons
More about money, less on the wealth fare of their employees
its a job
Cage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Minooka, ILNovember 30, 2016
everyone trying to be in relationships instead of just work. alot of personal things within the workers. alot of harrasment within the company. i loved being in the cage just dont care for the mean ignorant workers inside the actual company
Fun for a while...then
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 26, 2016
A typical day at work for me is putting things on shelves as quickly and accurately as I can before we open for business. After we open for business, I put things in bags as quickly and accurately as I can for customers. I've learned how to gauge people and how to have conversations with complete strangers. Management is terrible and terribly inconsistent. They are all great people, but the system has a lot of wiggle room when it comes to accountability. The crew members at Trader Joe's are almost always fun people to be around, but since they hire big personalities, there can be some clashing. The hardest part of the job is being on your feet all day and opening yourself to strangers who sometimes have too much going on in their lives to be considerate to others. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to try different kinds of foods everyday.
Pros
Great benefits, atmosphere can be fun
Cons
Short breaks, physically and emotionally taxing
Fun place to work with great people.
Trader Joe's Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Rochester, MNNovember 19, 2016
Trader Joe's is a fun place to work and most of the people are great. The work culture for the crew is awesome. Advancement is tough.
Cons
Management does not give a good work/life balance
Great company to work for
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MONovember 17, 2016
A day of work in Tj's depends on the season and the day. Busy, Fast pace, upbeat. I learned how to work with a team and grow in leadership.
Managment team was awesome and caring.
Co-workers were very positive.
The Hardest part of the Job was to maintain a focused goal in a intense inviromen.
The enjoyable part of the job was that it was fun. We had fun.
legitness
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 13, 2016
how did we become so distant like i'm the one to blame and you're innocent, i try to make a way make a difference. but somethings don't change i can't complain i try not to think about you.
Fun easy work that helps pass the time. Lots of fun and enjoyment.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 10, 2016
Fun easy work that helps pass the time. Lots of fun and enjoyment. Great people wonderful management and flexible hours.

I primarily worked the front end of the store helped close the store and worked the demo station.

I will forever be grateful to the people that I developed relationships with at the store. Both employees and customers touched me in a significant way.
Pros
Good benefits for part-time employees, fun low stress environment. Supportive management
Cons
Being locked in with little room for advancement
Very Productive and Welcoming Place to Work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  New York NYNovember 8, 2016
This job makes sure you are comfortable with every aspect of the job. There is a Ton of room for Advancement and the fellow co workers are close to you tstaying the point where it feels as if your at home.
Pros
Room For Advancement Pretty Straight Foward
Cons
Not Everyone is there because they want to be
Positive Values, Great Co-workers
Crew Member, Sign Artist (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 8, 2016
Trader Joe's is a great job for those looking to be out of a cubicle, and any social beings will thrive. It is physically demanding, and the main focus is on 5 star customer experience. You are pushed and valued for going above and beyond with every customer interaction.

The company values such as Kaizen are really truly fantastic ideals, but core value #4 "No Bureaucracy" is somewhat of a myth. Each store environment depends entirely on the Captain. Whether good or bad, their influence, seen or unseen, permeates everything and everyone. Good, captains invoke joy, hard work, quick paced and safe environments. Bad ones charge the place with policing from "Mates", a feel of negativity and that you need to "watch your back", safety hazards, undue dismissals, and flat out inappropriate behavior.

In seven years, going from an Order Writer, Trainer, and general A-Gamer on the floor, to a partially disabled Sign Artist tucked under the stairs in a back corner of a basement, has been an eye opening experience.
Pros
Lots of free treats, to build "product knowledge", interesting and fun co-workers
Cons
must work at least 31 hours weekly, for full benefits.
it was cool
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLNovember 8, 2016
I no longer work for this company. when I did work for them it was an amazing experience. Trying foods I'd never thought I would ever try in my lifetime, having people come in and treat you with the upmost respect was amazing also. thanks for giving me the opportunity.
fun and inspiring
Customer Service, Sales (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 8, 2016
not a whole lot of turn over because of job security and higher starting pay than your average grocer, rotating job duties help to not get stuck in one place
ok job
ordered selector / shipping and receiving (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 6, 2016
I've worked in the freezer as well learned to load and unload products and also learned how to push 5 pallets at once was a good job but te pay was low so i had to find another hob thats why i left to ssa
Fun work place
Lumber Associate (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CANovember 5, 2016
Enjoyed the people just had a horrible boss , i love helping customers , boss was very unclear and isnt very good at making peoples hours accordingly
Pros
Great people
Cons
Horrible boss
fun place to work with room for growth
Trader Joe's Crew Member (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 4, 2016
raises happen very frequently, lots of room for growth, have the abilit to become your own boss as you are in charge of certain sections within the store.
Pros
rasies
Cons
short breaks
Fun workplace where you meet different people
Trader Joe's (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2016
Typical day at trader joes most of the time was fun because you got to meet different people everyday.my work day consist of me unloading the truck and breaking down pallets,i also worked the register and stocked shelves.
Team member
Team Member (Current Employee) –  NYC, NYNovember 1, 2016
Great place to work I really love every one that works there at trader joe's a great place for anyone at trader joes every one does every thing even the managers work it's exciting fun place to work.
Pros
ALL
Cons
NOTHING
fun place to work with great benefits
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, DEOctober 24, 2016
Trader Joe's was a great place to work for a few reasons. The benefits package was great, pay was good, and I really enjoyed spending time with my coworkers. I would have continued to work there longer but I had developed a rather substantial client base painting houses on the side and I decided to pursue that full time.
Pros
benefits and fun and friendly place to work
Cons
i didn't really have any
Its a good place to work
Forklift Operator (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAOctober 24, 2016
Im very pleased to have worked with such incredible hard working people.Ive learned other language's and was taught how to be diverse and that also help me understand the people im working with.
Productive and fun
Crew Member/Cashier (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 15, 2016
Greeting customers on a daily basis, and interacting with many diverse and unique individuals. Its self rewarding to be able to put smiles on peoples faces, especially when discouraged about a particular item they could not find. I learned the importance of patience, time management, teamwork, communicating properly and became more knowledgable about organic and natural foods.
Pros
crew member discount
Not so great work culture
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  KirkOctober 12, 2016
Trader Joe's as a whole is a fantastic company but the work environment at my store was toxic. No one respected management and there was a lot of violent drama.
Pros
Wages weren't bad
Cons
Drama

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2