Trader Joe's Employee Reviews in United States

High energy and amazing people to work with
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 27, 2015
I came from two awful jobs before I worked at Trader Joe's. Although tough and A LOT of work, Trader Joe's has always pushed me to be better and get through things. I have met amazing customers and coworkers along my TJ's journey and I am incredibly happy they handed me a position. Management is good although sometimes SLIGHTLY disorganized, but I love each and every one of them. It is always a very encouraging environment the moment I start my shift and it continues throughout the day.
Pros
Free food tastings, a lot of hours, benefits, laid back people, raises every 6 months
Cons
Some coworkers are lazy but still get the same recognition as others who work harder, not a lot of room for advancement
Poor management = poor work experience
Crew Memeber (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJanuary 11, 2016
As a worker bee in a giant corporation posing as a small-town market, company moral is vital to a successful and thriving work environment. Unfortunately, my experience at Trader Joe's was anything but satisfactory. I often saw new, lower-qualified employees receiving promotions while veteran coworkers, who showed constant drive and enthusiasm for their job, were overlooked. Many employees at my store were vocal about their distaste for in-store management and it's lack of business and personal integrity.

Overall, I would not recommend applicants to apply at Trader Joe's but seek a more fulfilling experience elsewhere.
Pros
Decent crew members to work alongside.
Cons
Poor management, lack of accountability.
Incredible place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 5, 2015
The work culture at Trader Joes is incredible. Not to mention the people are some of the coolest Ive ever met. People there are self motivated, friendly and positive to work with. One of the best examples of what companies should be like in todays marketplace. Customer service is the number one priority in the business model and it really shows in policy and culture. I was never once micro managed or hassled by management. The policies like daily morning meetings and kaizen make things flow smoothly even during stressful times like holidays. Pay is great if you stay with the company and benefits are more than fair. If you have read the book Tribal Leadership and are familiar with the books theory then Trader Joes would be a stage 4 organization in my opinion. Overall Its one of the best work experiences Ive had and Im a better person after working there.
Pros
People, pay, benefits, company policy, management, overall enviroment
Amazing place to be yourself and help customers!
Mate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 18, 2016
My job is versatile, fun and a daily adventure. I am respected and my contributions are acknowledged. Compensation and benefits are great. The most challenging part of the job are the long hours and lack of consistency in schedule.
Pros
Amazing customers and crew.
Cons
Schedule is a challenge
Hard work fun environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 17, 2015
Trader Joe's is what you would expect from working in a grocery store, but slightly better. The environment was fun and relaxed and the workers were of a high caliber. It is exhausting work (especially if you are not naturally great with people), but you get moved around frequently so boredom is rarely an issue. Ultimately, though, if you find it difficult to strike up lively conversations with strangers and maintain a cheesy level of enthusiasm for 8 hours, you will have a hard time getting raises.
Pros
Free food, slightly better pay than other retailers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Finicky managers, impossibly high standards
Working conditions and environment
Crew Associate, Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 16, 2015
Costco wholesale is great company overall. There is too much favoritism within the company. They make others work twice as hard other to get a promotion. And some employees are promoted with very poor productivity and work pace.
Pros
Pay, employees, benefits
Cons
Politics and favoritism
productive
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILMarch 28, 2016
work from 5am-5pm
general warehouse inventory control ,selecting,reach truck etc
need more training young management team
hard working people
coming on time and productive
overtime is a most
Pros
overtime
Cons
work long hours
always a fun day at work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 6, 2016
Working at trader joes sometimes doesn't feel like work. The people working there always make you feel welcome and always have a positive vibe regardless of the situation in their personal lives. Manegement always acknowledges hard work and dedication. They want to see me improve at my job. The coustomers also walk in with smiles and always have positive energy as they shop in the store.
Pros
mulitple duties, career appertunities, breaks and lunches at far times, posititve work eviroment, flexable work schedule
Cons
store location
Good Company
crewmember I (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WANovember 12, 2015
A great company to work for all around. TJ's was my first employer after retiring from the Armed Services, and I am glad to have worked for them. After a rough start, I learned that I was serving some people who are not happy. Trader Joe's wants everyone coming through their doors to feel appreciated, especially since they know you could be shopping elsewhere. The overall management are hard working people, knowledgeable of every aspect of the company and there goals. Management is generally goal driven, lacking in employee relations. Coming from a career where the employee's well being is of great importance, this concept took me a little while to adopt. Trader Joe's lives up to the motto "customer is always right".
The most difficult part of the job was keeping the "TJ's smile on", good..bad days, keep smiling and remember to engage the customer at all times. The best part of the job was working with the employees and bonding with the "regular" customers..I miss them all.
Pros
Discount Shopping
Cons
Short breaks, crazy holiday shoppers.
productive and fun
Sales and marketing (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2016
Awesome environment and management. I love my job and my coworkers. Its a happy place to work. It has great benefits. Flexible and understanding.
A terrific work experience overall, but lacked intellectual satisfaction.
Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 5, 2015
Be ready for a physically challenging, non-stop work day w/ very short breaks. Customer service and interaction is a WOW priority!!
Your personality must be engaging and proactive, even at the cash register. You will perform EVERY job in the store, from the trash and grocery carts to working in the dairy box. Stocking and straightening product on shelves is a major part of your day. Your fellow teammates are usually of very high character and really keep you on point. Benefits and compensation are first rate for a retailer of this type. Management is smart and creative, but often, they are heavy-handed with their micro-management style and practices.
Pros
Great products & company, customer loyalty, high-quality employees
Cons
Too many 'short' work weeks, unable to specialize in best use/talent area, lack of career opportunities.
Great Company to Work for, advancement depends on market
Mate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 5, 2015
I have been a manager with Trader Joe's long enough to be compensated well and earn some seniority when it comes to scheduling and in store responsibilities. I have been on track to become a Captain, or general manager, but a change in regional management has disrupted my path and I feel passed over now that I watch others with less tenure gain favor. Your experience at Trader Joe's will depend mostly on the store you are in and the Leadership in control at the time. I have worked at six different locations in the same market, and although each store is within 40 miles of each other, the inconsistencies between them are mind-boggling. There are rapidly expanding markets across the country where advancement is guaranteed for aggressive and bright managers. In my market, there is a logjam of experienced, tenured Mates waiting on very few opportunities. Whats worse, when those opportunities arrive, we have seen outsiders brought in to fill them. I could easily spend the next ten years with this company, but it would stifle my professional development. You probably will not find a better salary for a retail manager, but that means that you will be stuck here because you will find it impossible to walk away from the money.
Pros
Compensation, Benefits, Positive culture
Cons
Work-life balance, no structured development, lack of a clear path to promotion
Do not work for this company
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nazareth, PAFebruary 6, 2016
You are brought in as a temp with a promise of full-time employment and a raise after 90 days but it never happens. The only hire temps and find ways to terminate them instead of bringing them on full-time.
easy going work place with ample amount of breaks
crew member (Current Employee) –  Asheville, NCMay 31, 2016
-Its a set schedule for an 8 hour shift. varying between customer support, and product placement, and will end up working at every station by the end of the day.
-customer service is a standard in any work place, be positive in every way.
-management is a little off, they show no real sign of manager material except for the owner of the stores.
- Co-workers are exceptional, make the work a easier place to be.
- The finale. is the closing of a transaction with a customer, and keeping them engaged and happy through the whole transaction, while still moving at an effective pace.
- the Demo area, where food and drink samples are handed out to customers, where customers are the most engaging.
Pros
monthly tasting of our upcoming flyers.
Cons
the corporate standard, and how manipulative it is
Be careful...
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAFebruary 19, 2016
A typical day starts with looking at your daily log and trying not to become irritated with how unfairly the work is divided among the crew members. Your team leader (mate) and a few of his/her favorites will talk about their weekend while watching the rest of the crew work. Then head to register and watch the same people stand around talking about how they can make the store a better place. If you can roll with the punches like I have for 10 years, more power to you.

The hardest part of the job is remembering that you have integrity, you are a hard worker and a good person. There is no review or Captain's opinion that can change your core values. It is very hard holding on to who you are while in a sea of people competing to be the best yes man. Not on work or merit, but earned by their social standing.

The most enjoyable part of the job is my family. The friends I have collected throughout the years, and the memories that I have made. There are even customers that I invited to my wedding. I hope anyone reading this will approach this job with caution. Make sure you have thick skin, and can take a sucker punch. Don't trust anyone from your captain, to the mate that is being nice to you on that particular day. We call them Bipolar management at my store, you will slowly feel the creep of mate's being nice on days when they need you to work hard, then comes the flip-side. Be ready.

Anyways. love you all and hope everyone is successful in whatever they do. On to the next step in life!
Pros
They pay you
Cons
Everything you can imagine for a corporate environment
Awesome place to work!
Store Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Company is growing and very exciting place to work. Fun. Great benefits too! Plenty of opportunity if you want it. Management is always listening.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
lots of changes
One of the Best companies I've ever worked for
Crew Member/Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2016
I've worked for the company for a little over a year and like every job there are some things that I don't like but overall this company has been a good place to work in terms of pay, benefits, environment/co-workers and the flexibility that allows me to take time off to travel whenever I want to.
Pros
The people I work with and benefits package
Cons
Extremely physically demanding
fast paced fun place
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2016
Loved it but its changing do a bit of everything no down time very very physical.Comps and benefits are good. Company is expanding to fast to fill management with quality people.
Pros
discount good people
Cons
Management structure is changing
Productive and team oriented workplace.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMarch 20, 2016
Receive volume for the day, pick orders in 30 degree atmosphere. i learned how to efficiently,pick,scan and process orders. Management and my coworkers were great with teaching and helping whenever a team member would fall behind on their orders. The most enjoyable part of the day would be at the end of the day when i would
see how many orders i picked.
A place with great benefits and an everchanging regime
Crew (Former Employee) –  Falls Church, VAOctober 3, 2015
Trader Joe's is certainly a life style of its own. Much like Starbucks, you are expected to know the lingo, be energetic and happy and customer focused.
most days the work feels about the same. run a register, tend to customer and manager needs, be able to identify and fill gaps in the store with product and clean the store. This line of work can be rewarding but not for everyone. the politics of each store are unique and can change as fast as the wind.
Pros
pay, semi flexible hours, healthcare
Cons
management mood sway, ever changing ideals...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2