Trader Joe's Employee Reviews in United States

Good work and great folks, but doesn't leave room for life.
Crew Member / Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 10, 2016
I enjoy labor intensive work, and I like working early in the morning. Some mornings we have a great crew and we bust down the truck and the pallets like a well-oiled machine. Too often, however, we get stuck with folks who should not be working such a labor intensive job. Schedule changes occur too often, and from one day to the next you never know who's going to be on your crew. The food we provide is great, and we all get along during our shifts. As jobs go, it's better than most, not as good as some. The pay is not commensurate with what we are asked to do.
Pros
Good work
Cons
Random, inconsistent scheduling and low pay
always a fun day at work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 6, 2016
Working at trader joes sometimes doesn't feel like work. The people working there always make you feel welcome and always have a positive vibe regardless of the situation in their personal lives. Manegement always acknowledges hard work and dedication. They want to see me improve at my job. The coustomers also walk in with smiles and always have positive energy as they shop in the store.
Pros
mulitple duties, career appertunities, breaks and lunches at far times, posititve work eviroment, flexable work schedule
Cons
store location
Job description and duties
Manager (Former Employee) –  Arlington Heights, ILFebruary 25, 2016
I loved this job. My husband got transferred to Georgia and Trader Joe's was not in the immediate area that we had to live in. I Worked 5:00am - 10:00pm with a Tuesday and Wednesday off each week. People who shop there are into healthy living and it was so fun to bring them new fun foods to introduce in their life. My shifts were revolving each week from opening to closing and the employees were to happy it was so easy to manage and inspire them for our customer experience.
Pros
Ability to move up fast with company
Cons
No weekends off
One of the Best companies I've ever worked for
Crew Member/Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2016
I've worked for the company for a little over a year and like every job there are some things that I don't like but overall this company has been a good place to work in terms of pay, benefits, environment/co-workers and the flexibility that allows me to take time off to travel whenever I want to.
Pros
The people I work with and benefits package
Cons
Extremely physically demanding
Productive and team oriented workplace.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMarch 20, 2016
Receive volume for the day, pick orders in 30 degree atmosphere. i learned how to efficiently,pick,scan and process orders. Management and my coworkers were great with teaching and helping whenever a team member would fall behind on their orders. The most enjoyable part of the day would be at the end of the day when i would
see how many orders i picked.
Was a great place to work
Sale Associate (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 26, 2016
Trader Joes has forgotten some of their core values and resort to being any other grocer focussed on the bottom line. There are still great people who work there and care but the new hires are not held to a high standard with regard to expectations. It feels like what you see from working at a local Shop rite or Stop and Shop and even a Walmart.
Pros
Pay is OK.
Cons
Most People do not care anymore.
Fun Place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 10, 2016
Great place to work! Everyone willing to help get the job done for the day. Customer service was off the charts! Customers love when we make them feel special. Eager to have customers try new products! Attention to moms and their kids! The kids love the little shopping carts but some are taking them away! This draws the families in!
Pros
Fun place, easy hire, hours
Cons
health and pay benefits cut dramatically after Obama Care
I learned lots of things I did not know before hand and was a fun experience.
AUDITOR/SELECTOR TRAINER (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILJanuary 27, 2016
Everyday i ensured all of the product was staged in the right pick location.I also audited the orders after they were done being picked. I followed the selectors as they picked to ensure the right product was being selected.When production was high i assisted picking duties.
Pros
Cross training in different departments and gained lots of knowledge.
Cons
temporary
Fun workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Winter Park, FLFebruary 3, 2016
I love working for trader joes. Its definitely unlike any other job I have had. I enjoy coming to work everyday. A typical day at work for me is coming in at 4 am, stocking shelves, taking the truck with our daily delivery, getting the store ready for opening at 8am. After that I'm normally on register for a couple hours and then I go home. I love chatting with customers, and trying all the new products!
Poor management = poor work experience
Crew Memeber (Former Employee) –  Simi Valley, CAJanuary 11, 2016
As a worker bee in a giant corporation posing as a small-town market, company moral is vital to a successful and thriving work environment. Unfortunately, my experience at Trader Joe's was anything but satisfactory. I often saw new, lower-qualified employees receiving promotions while veteran coworkers, who showed constant drive and enthusiasm for their job, were overlooked. Many employees at my store were vocal about their distaste for in-store management and it's lack of business and personal integrity.

Overall, I would not recommend applicants to apply at Trader Joe's but seek a more fulfilling experience elsewhere.
Pros
Decent crew members to work alongside.
Cons
Poor management, lack of accountability.
Store Management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 29, 2016
The work was easy but the days were hard because the management was terrible. They were not good at leading people. Very cliquey and never looked to help people grow as an employee and seek growth opportunities. The coworkers were the best part of the job hands down. Everyone was great and got along well.
Pros
health care
Amazing place to be yourself and help customers!
Mate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 18, 2016
My job is versatile, fun and a daily adventure. I am respected and my contributions are acknowledged. Compensation and benefits are great. The most challenging part of the job are the long hours and lack of consistency in schedule.
Pros
Amazing customers and crew.
Cons
Schedule is a challenge
Best First Job
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAApril 3, 2016
A typical day at Baskin Robbins included refilling and replacing ice cream, making and decorating cakes and customer service.
I learned many decorating tips and tricks. The management was always friendly it was like a family at Baskin Robbins.
Pros
Decorating and Building Cakes
Cons
Short shifts
Hard work fun environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 17, 2015
Trader Joe's is what you would expect from working in a grocery store, but slightly better. The environment was fun and relaxed and the workers were of a high caliber. It is exhausting work (especially if you are not naturally great with people), but you get moved around frequently so boredom is rarely an issue. Ultimately, though, if you find it difficult to strike up lively conversations with strangers and maintain a cheesy level of enthusiasm for 8 hours, you will have a hard time getting raises.
Pros
Free food, slightly better pay than other retailers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Finicky managers, impossibly high standards
Fun
Crew Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 19, 2016
Great place to work, co-workers all get along, probably because most of the time, people are hired based on personality. Makes a big difference when you can all get along and work as a team!

A variety of jobs, including cashiering, stocking, cleaning, helping with customers.
Pros
Excellent environment
playing grocery store
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 14, 2015
trader joes was fun most customers made it easier to work there. training wasnt transparent enough for me but i was only there for holiday help anyway so i just did as i was told . i learned alot about the price difference between grocery stores and the different organic foods we sold. management wasnt the best but i loved the customers . co-workers were even cool i didnt come to make any friends but it ended up that way some how.
Pros
pay, healthcare, free gym memberships
Cons
misleading management.
Productive and great environment work place
Quality Assurance Auditor (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILJanuary 3, 2016
This company is productive and very efficient on a everyday basis.Great learning experience and will keep you on you feet. Co-workers are friendly and good teamwork to keep the workflow steady. Management is helpful and always there to help assist my your side when needed.
Pros
Learning experiences
Cons
Lunch Breaks
High energy and amazing people to work with
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 27, 2015
I came from two awful jobs before I worked at Trader Joe's. Although tough and A LOT of work, Trader Joe's has always pushed me to be better and get through things. I have met amazing customers and coworkers along my TJ's journey and I am incredibly happy they handed me a position. Management is good although sometimes SLIGHTLY disorganized, but I love each and every one of them. It is always a very encouraging environment the moment I start my shift and it continues throughout the day.
Pros
Free food tastings, a lot of hours, benefits, laid back people, raises every 6 months
Cons
Some coworkers are lazy but still get the same recognition as others who work harder, not a lot of room for advancement
I like This Company
Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 21, 2016
It is of the ideal decent companies that I have ever seen in terms of compensation and work environment. They work around your schedule and are friendly with student workers. They give discount to the employee as well as time off payment.
Productive and fun place to work with a lot of happy people.
Customer service team (Former Employee) –  Warwick, RIJanuary 12, 2016
Trader Joe's is an excellent place to be employed. There is plenty of room for advancement, and the atmosphere was always fun and light with so many like minded people interested in good food fro their bodies.
Pros
Sampling the new items were also a plus!!