Trader Joe's Employee Reviews

High energy and amazing people to work with
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 27, 2015
I came from two awful jobs before I worked at Trader Joe's. Although tough and A LOT of work, Trader Joe's has always pushed me to be better and get through things. I have met amazing customers and coworkers along my TJ's journey and I am incredibly happy they handed me a position. Management is good although sometimes SLIGHTLY disorganized, but I love each and every one of them. It is always a very encouraging environment the moment I start my shift and it continues throughout the day.
Pros
Free food tastings, a lot of hours, benefits, laid back people, raises every 6 months
Cons
Some coworkers are lazy but still get the same recognition as others who work harder, not a lot of room for advancement
Amazing place to be yourself and help customers!
Mate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 18, 2016
My job is versatile, fun and a daily adventure. I am respected and my contributions are acknowledged. Compensation and benefits are great. The most challenging part of the job are the long hours and lack of consistency in schedule.
Pros
Amazing customers and crew.
Cons
Schedule is a challenge
One of the Best companies I've ever worked for
Crew Member/Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 3, 2016
I've worked for the company for a little over a year and like every job there are some things that I don't like but overall this company has been a good place to work in terms of pay, benefits, environment/co-workers and the flexibility that allows me to take time off to travel whenever I want to.
Pros
The people I work with and benefits package
Cons
Extremely physically demanding
Hard work fun environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYDecember 17, 2015
Trader Joe's is what you would expect from working in a grocery store, but slightly better. The environment was fun and relaxed and the workers were of a high caliber. It is exhausting work (especially if you are not naturally great with people), but you get moved around frequently so boredom is rarely an issue. Ultimately, though, if you find it difficult to strike up lively conversations with strangers and maintain a cheesy level of enthusiasm for 8 hours, you will have a hard time getting raises.
Pros
Free food, slightly better pay than other retailers, flexible scheduling
Cons
Finicky managers, impossibly high standards
Incredible place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDNovember 5, 2015
The work culture at Trader Joes is incredible. Not to mention the people are some of the coolest Ive ever met. People there are self motivated, friendly and positive to work with. One of the best examples of what companies should be like in todays marketplace. Customer service is the number one priority in the business model and it really shows in policy and culture. I was never once micro managed or hassled by management. The policies like daily morning meetings and kaizen make things flow smoothly even during stressful times like holidays. Pay is great if you stay with the company and benefits are more than fair. If you have read the book Tribal Leadership and are familiar with the books theory then Trader Joes would be a stage 4 organization in my opinion. Overall Its one of the best work experiences Ive had and Im a better person after working there.
Pros
People, pay, benefits, company policy, management, overall enviroment
Fun Place
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAFebruary 10, 2016
Great place to work! Everyone willing to help get the job done for the day. Customer service was off the charts! Customers love when we make them feel special. Eager to have customers try new products! Attention to moms and their kids! The kids love the little shopping carts but some are taking them away! This draws the families in!
Pros
Fun place, easy hire, hours
Cons
health and pay benefits cut dramatically after Obama Care
I like This Company
Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 21, 2016
It is of the ideal decent companies that I have ever seen in terms of compensation and work environment. They work around your schedule and are friendly with student workers. They give discount to the employee as well as time off payment.
Active and busy
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 8, 2016
Great place to work if you are looking for a long term as a stock crew member and enjoy manual labor. If you can't stand up for 4 hours straight then this is not the job for you
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Just manual labor and basic high school knowledge
Do not work for this company
System Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Nazareth, PAFebruary 6, 2016
You are brought in as a temp with a promise of full-time employment and a raise after 90 days but it never happens. The only hire temps and find ways to terminate them instead of bringing them on full-time.
productive and fun
Sales and marketing (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 26, 2016
Awesome environment and management. I love my job and my coworkers. Its a happy place to work. It has great benefits. Flexible and understanding.
Working conditions and environment
Crew Associate, Service/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manhattan, NYDecember 16, 2015
Costco wholesale is great company overall. There is too much favoritism within the company. They make others work twice as hard other to get a promotion. And some employees are promoted with very poor productivity and work pace.
Pros
Pay, employees, benefits
Cons
Politics and favoritism
fast paced fun place
Retail Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2016
Loved it but its changing do a bit of everything no down time very very physical.Comps and benefits are good. Company is expanding to fast to fill management with quality people.
Pros
discount good people
Cons
Management structure is changing
Awesome place to work!
Store Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 13, 2016
Company is growing and very exciting place to work. Fun. Great benefits too! Plenty of opportunity if you want it. Management is always listening.
Pros
Fun people
Cons
lots of changes
Great Place to Work
CREW MEMBER, TRADER JOE'S (Former Employee) –  Wayne, NJJanuary 13, 2016
One of the best places to work, great benefits, great pay, and great atmosphere. My coworkers were very friendly and welcoming. All managers were kind and respectful.
Pros
Cons
Handwork, not intended for people with joint problem
A terrific work experience overall, but lacked intellectual satisfaction.
Crewmember (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 5, 2015
Be ready for a physically challenging, non-stop work day w/ very short breaks. Customer service and interaction is a WOW priority!!
Your personality must be engaging and proactive, even at the cash register. You will perform EVERY job in the store, from the trash and grocery carts to working in the dairy box. Stocking and straightening product on shelves is a major part of your day. Your fellow teammates are usually of very high character and really keep you on point. Benefits and compensation are first rate for a retailer of this type. Management is smart and creative, but often, they are heavy-handed with their micro-management style and practices.
Pros
Great products & company, customer loyalty, high-quality employees
Cons
Too many 'short' work weeks, unable to specialize in best use/talent area, lack of career opportunities.
fun place to work
Beer &Wine Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 29, 2015
fun place to work diverse good benefits great coworkers enjoy the customers a leader in their industry job security chance to transfer throughout USA
Pros
food
Cons
very physical
The joys of working at TJ's
Crew (Current Employee) –  Westchester, CAOctober 13, 2015
I enjoy the customers that shop in the store, overall they are friendly. There is a warm, family atmosphere and it makes me want to come to work. I really like jobs that makes me look forward to coming to work. The on-going training is what makes TJ's a rewarding experience and can also be used in everyday life.

I would love to work in the training dept. of a business because the attitudes of the employees is what make the business prosper.
Pros
Medical benefits and a retirement plan
Cons
Not enough light duty
Fun environment, daily growth opportunities
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  The Woodlands, TXSeptember 1, 2016
The most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with customers, helping them and getting to know them. I worked as a team with my co-workers and got along with all different personalities. Management would have team meetings monthly and also we would have tastings of the new and highlighted items from our newsletters. I enjoyed the morning shift unloading and stocking before we opened. During opening hours my job was shifted between register, stocking, food demonstration and always customer service. Closing shift included checking codes and cleaning the store.
Pros
sample foods
Cons
only allow 38 hours to work per week
Trader Joe's is a positive and productive workplace that helps increase productivity.
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 27, 2015
During my time at Trader Joe's I have learned market and establish positive relationships with my co-workers. From the moment that I first began my employment at Trader Joe's I've shown interest in learning all that the establishment has to offer as to how the manner in which sales are done, product knowledge, communicating with every customer with accuracy and a positive manner. Over the years at Trader Joe's I have established a great communication with customers, co-workers, and managers alike. The most troubling part about working at Trader Joe's would have to be running low on products in our inventory and having to explain the situation to a customer and having hopes they return after the item is restocked. The best part of my job is hearing a guest say how satisfied they leave the store feeling.
Pros
Great Company Benefits
Cons
Seeing an unsatisfied customer
Great company to work for, sacrifices required
Mate/Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Lake Zurich, ILSeptember 15, 2015
Trader Joe's is a great company to work for in many ways. The benefits are excellent, the people are great to be around, and the company places great value in the idea that the crew members who run the stores are the backbone of the company. Starting pay is mediocre, but loyalty and performance is rewarded with considerable raises twice a year. Many long time crew members earn upwards of $20 an hour. The stores are typically a very fun/friendly environment. However, the work is very repetitive, truck, boxes, shelves. repeat. Because the inventory turn is so fast, you spend a good portion of time putting things out for customers to buy them. Its an environment where everyone does everything. You may start your day planning merchandising and ordering thousands of dollars worth of product based off sales projections, and end it cleaning a toilet. Everyone works as a team. The work is often physically draining and hours (like any retail) are not often family friendly. There will be weekends, holidays, late nights, and very early mornings. Overall its a great place to be as long as you are willing to make the appropriate sacrifices in your personal life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Trader Joe's. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2