Trader Joe's Employee Reviews in United States

nice help
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Arroyo Grande, CAApril 27, 2016
Trader Joe's has good Co-workers, they will be there to give you a helping hand when you need it and they are not afraid to a smile at a person
Pros
helping others
Cons
getting fired
Excellent place to work.
Trader Joe's Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Laguna Hills, CAApril 26, 2016
Great place to work. Management is great. Product knowledge. Excellent benefits.They truly care about their employees.
Pros
Excellent benefits.
Not All It Is Cracked Up To Be For Employees
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAApril 25, 2016
Some have said it is a great place for advancement. If you're over 30 or 35 forget about it. Extreme age discrimination in this respect. Many crew members have talents from different industries but they are considered of no benefit. So if you come up through the system as a young person you may have a chance. I have seen many young crew members "promised" promotions but nothing ever happens - in those case you're left in your same role forever with no future -very sad.

Same goes for mates - if you're young and lucky enough to get to that spot there really is no future beyond where you're at. Promotions to Captain are rare. If there are 20 stores in a region with each store having at least 6 mates and there are maybe 2 openings in that regions each year then you can figure out what the odds are to move up.

And the customer 1st idea is good on paper and many do like it, but as a crew member all you can do is suck it up and smile with the many dufess customers that come through the line. I know that's the retail business but TJs takes it to an extreme. At the end of each day you've felt like all self respect has been put in the dumpster with the rest of the day's trash.

Another slick thing they do is calculate your vacation time on a $ basis instead of hours. Seems minor but over time it adds up. Every time you get the 65 cent raise your banked time goes down because it is now calculated at the higher pay rate. Each employee over a few years losses roughly 10% of their accumulated balance. May seem small but calculated over many thousands of employees it is
  more... a windfall each year for the company.  less
Good place for advance
Crew member (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 21, 2016
Fun place to work. It's very easy to build a relation between a customer and staff. Great apportunities and achivements in the company. Change was frequent and it's part to the busines. Change is goood.
Team-oriented social atmosphere
Wine Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 19, 2016
Overall a fun and uplifting working environment. Usually start off on an hour of register and then I am able to move to my wine section and sift through backstock to organize and beautify. I write the wine order (3rd largest in the store) and work the daily load, all while maintaining the best possible customer experience by providing knowledge of our wines' regions and characteristics. The biggest thing I have learned is how to be a team player while still taking responsibility for my own roles. I also work with a vast range of types of people, so social adaptability has greatly improved. My coworkers and I are very like-minded, in that we all have our own goals outside of work that we are constantly striving to achieve (music, art, culinary arts, psychology, various career paths) and we all encourage each other to make the best of ourselves on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the monotony of the schedule...there is not much room to challenge yourself unless you want to be promoted to a manager that works around 50 hours a week on a waterfall schedule. After my 2.5 years with Trader Joe's, I feel like I have learned everything I can learn within the crew member position, and I would like nothing more than to push myself and work with determination in a position that I find longevity and purpose in.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  La Cañada Flintridge, CAApril 15, 2016
Good place to work for students. Physically demanding job with good compensation and benefits. Managers and crew get along very well in order to accomplish tasks within short time frames.
A whole lot of children playing boss
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Concord, CAApril 6, 2016
Management is a joke, a whole lot of adults that are stuck in the high school game of life! Crew members are awesome but the management staff is very childish and loves the drama!
Best First Job
Sales Clerk (Current Employee) –  Campbell, CAApril 3, 2016
A typical day at Baskin Robbins included refilling and replacing ice cream, making and decorating cakes and customer service.
I learned many decorating tips and tricks. The management was always friendly it was like a family at Baskin Robbins.
Pros
Decorating and Building Cakes
Cons
Short shifts
Store Management
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  Oakland, CAMarch 29, 2016
The work was easy but the days were hard because the management was terrible. They were not good at leading people. Very cliquey and never looked to help people grow as an employee and seek growth opportunities. The coworkers were the best part of the job hands down. Everyone was great and got along well.
Pros
health care
productive
Shipping Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Minooka, ILMarch 28, 2016
work from 5am-5pm
general warehouse inventory control ,selecting,reach truck etc
need more training young management team
hard working people
coming on time and productive
overtime is a most
Pros
overtime
Cons
work long hours
Fun place to work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLMarch 22, 2016
A company that provides a safe and fun environment. Opportunity to acquire new skills and experiences. Great manager that are very good role models.
Pros
Store discounts, fun employees and great culture.
Cons
Short breaks
I like This Company
Part Time Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAMarch 21, 2016
It is of the ideal decent companies that I have ever seen in terms of compensation and work environment. They work around your schedule and are friendly with student workers. They give discount to the employee as well as time off payment.
Productive and team oriented workplace.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Suwanee, GAMarch 20, 2016
Receive volume for the day, pick orders in 30 degree atmosphere. i learned how to efficiently,pick,scan and process orders. Management and my coworkers were great with teaching and helping whenever a team member would fall behind on their orders. The most enjoyable part of the day would be at the end of the day when i would
see how many orders i picked.
Working In the warehouse could be fun sometimes
Maintence (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceville, GAMarch 20, 2016
My typical day on the job would be stocking and shipping all day, Which i enjoy why'll listening to my music.also looking forward to my brake then trying to figure out on payday for all this hard work.
Fun
Crew Member/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVMarch 19, 2016
Great place to work, co-workers all get along, probably because most of the time, people are hired based on personality. Makes a big difference when you can all get along and work as a team!

A variety of jobs, including cashiering, stocking, cleaning, helping with customers.
Pros
Excellent environment
Amazing place to be yourself and help customers!
Mate (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsMarch 18, 2016
My job is versatile, fun and a daily adventure. I am respected and my contributions are acknowledged. Compensation and benefits are great. The most challenging part of the job are the long hours and lack of consistency in schedule.
Pros
Amazing customers and crew.
Cons
Schedule is a challenge
Good work and great folks, but doesn't leave room for life.
Crew Member / Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 10, 2016
I enjoy labor intensive work, and I like working early in the morning. Some mornings we have a great crew and we bust down the truck and the pallets like a well-oiled machine. Too often, however, we get stuck with folks who should not be working such a labor intensive job. Schedule changes occur too often, and from one day to the next you never know who's going to be on your crew. The food we provide is great, and we all get along during our shifts. As jobs go, it's better than most, not as good as some. The pay is not commensurate with what we are asked to do.
Pros
Good work
Cons
Random, inconsistent scheduling and low pay
Active and busy
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 8, 2016
Great place to work if you are looking for a long term as a stock crew member and enjoy manual labor. If you can't stand up for 4 hours straight then this is not the job for you
Pros
Good pay, benefits
Cons
Just manual labor and basic high school knowledge
always a fun day at work
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Everett, WAMarch 6, 2016
Working at trader joes sometimes doesn't feel like work. The people working there always make you feel welcome and always have a positive vibe regardless of the situation in their personal lives. Manegement always acknowledges hard work and dedication. They want to see me improve at my job. The coustomers also walk in with smiles and always have positive energy as they shop in the store.
Pros
mulitple duties, career appertunities, breaks and lunches at far times, posititve work eviroment, flexable work schedule
Cons
store location
Dynamic and fun workplace, but issues with management.
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Burien, WAMarch 4, 2016
Trader Joe's is a multi-skilled job in which you are given the ability to offer an array of services to the company based on the personal skills an employee has to offer. In one day you are assigned register time, customer experience, product working on the floor and in the back, and if applicable, time to order for a section and prepare and serve food in the demonstration area.
I have learned the ability to work according to different individual customer needs, seek new tasks, and deal with difficult situations gracefully and precisely.
Management, unfortunately, tends to have an issue with communication amongst themselves and the crew and is unable to balance a professional leadership and a good relationship with the Crew, despite the company ideals. This was one of the main reasons I am deciding to leave this job.
Luckily, the fellow crew members are fun loving and dynamic with many personalities to offer.
The hardest part of such a customer first job is learning to interact with such a wide array of the public and still hold the ability to leave them with a great store experience, but once you learn how to best handle the tougher situations the customers become the most enjoyable part as well as you are encouraged to form warm relationships with them.