Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's United States Employee Reviews

One of the best places I ever worked
Section Leader (Former Employee), Greenwood Village, COApril 8, 2015
Pros: Reviews happen twice a year. Paid well. Great insurance.
Cons: Too many managers at my store, they all work OT while crew members get less than 5 shifts a week.
At TJ's, you are treated with respect, in a fun working environment. You will absolutely work hard, but it's worth it. Free food throughout the day and all of the tastings are fun. Need time off? It's almost always approved. The store is colorful and bright and your co-workers are almost always happy. They hire the right people and it makes a huge difference.

Left my job, due to a relocation. Great company though.
Stellar
Crew Member (Current Employee), Lincoln, NEApril 1, 2015
Pros: The food. Oh, so good.
Cons: It's tiring being so cheerful all the time. That's what the coffee is for!
Your work isn't all that glamorous, but it's the people you work with and the customers that make all the difference. TJ's strives to make an atmosphere that their employees really enjoy, and that enthusiasm naturally bubbles out to the people who come in the store. They also sell high-quality products and are willing to take anything back at any time, no questions asked. They place their customers in the highest regard, and that really shows. It's completely backwards from every other company I've ever worked with, and it's been one of the most enjoyable places I've been lucky enough to work with. It's hard work, 8 hours on your feet, but the day is broken up so you're not doing the same thing for those 8 hours. The pay is not bad and the benefits are awesome. What more can you ask for!
Great working environment
Accounts Payable Clerk, (Former Employee), Monrovia, CAApril 1, 2015
The company is always growing, there is always something new to learn and improve on. The work environment is easy going, casual and fun.
Fun workplace, good benefits.
Sales Associate/Cashier, (Current Employee), Fairfield, CAMarch 31, 2015
Pros: The customers that come in and my benefits
Well working with Trader Joe's is a fast paced place to work always an the go stocking, helping customers, building knowledge of the product and just overall enjoying your workplace, my coworkers are great to work with, and I would say the hardest part of my job is leaving work at the end of the day because when you love what you do it is not hard.
Fun place
Crew Member (Current Employee), Atherton, CAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: fun
Cons: get off at 11 pm
Trader Joe's is a fun and supportive envoriment where both the managerial staff and the other co-workers do their best to help you and make you a beteer employee
Fun atmosphere with Hawaiian shirts
Crew Member (Current Employee), Montgomeryville, PAMarch 30, 2015
Pros: great co-workers, benefits, atmosphere
Trader Joe's is a fantastic company that takes care of its employees. There is no typical day at Trader Joe's, every single day is different which is great because then you can never get bored. Whether you are helping customers find a product or ringing them up at the register you are always surrounded by people. The co-workers here are amazing and some of the hardest workers.
over all great place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 27, 2015
Pros: good health coverage. great work place to work
Cons: wanted higher pay
do your work and there is no problem. great people. great place to work! I had a great time working there, the customers are great. I really enjoyed the management over all and loved trying all the food and letting customers try the food.
Productive place to work with a strong sense of community
Crew Member (Current Employee), Delray Beach, FLMarch 22, 2015
A typical day as a crew member at Trader Jo's is always fast paced. Your duties include working cash registers, stocking shelves, answering bells, and customer interaction. You generally have a few hours doing register and a few hours working product and all this time you are making t he customer feel welcome, answering questions, doing returns, ringing bells for assistance, and bagging groceries. Management at Trader Joe's is unique in that there are several managers we call "Mates" and a head manager we call "The Captain". Generally the Mates take care of the majority of concerns, while the Captain works in the main office, but both the Mates and the Captain do the work that the crew members do. It's like a big community. The coworkers are one of the best parts of the job because there are the people you work beside every day. They really become like family. They assist you on register and on product by helping you bag groceries when their line is slow and by helping work product in whatever section you are in. The hardest part of the job is balancing customer service and product time. Sometimes there is a time crunch and other times dealing with customers can be difficult. The best part of the job is interaction with the customers. Most of the time people are really enjoyable and are visually appreciative of the service you provide. You get to know returning customers and their families which makes you really connect with people. Talking to people while they are at your register almost forces you to make friends and trains you to become a master conversationalist.
A fun place to work with great benefits and management
Trader Joe's Crew Member (Current Employee), Gainesville, FLMarch 14, 2015
I have grown a lot as a person throughout my time at Trader Joe's. It's nice to work for a company that truly cares for its employees and values their opinions and feedback.
Who doesn't love Trader Joe's
General Merchandise Clerk (Current Employee), San Francisco, CAMarch 12, 2015
This company provides excellent products for excellent prices. It is a great job to meet nice people. They are education-positive therefore usually willing to be flexible to a student's schedule. Thanks Trader Joe's! I'll always be grateful.
5 STARS
CASHIER/GROCERY CLERK (Former Employee), Santa Rosa, CAMarch 11, 2015
TRADER JOE'S WAS A COMPANY THAT TAUGHT ME THE VALUES OF EATING HEALTHY AND STAYING HEALTHY. CUSTOMERS WERE ALWAYS VERY FRIENDLY TO ME. DOWNSIDE WAS THE POSITION WAS SEASONAL ONLY.
Great company for promoting teamwork within each store.
Specialist, Shift Supervisor (Former Employee), Jenkintown, PAFebruary 24, 2015
Trader Joes was physically one of the toughest jobs that I have held. Despite the work load, it was one of the jobs that I enjoyed the most. Part of what made this job so enjoyable was that the management team and the staff all worked equally hard to make each day a successful one. Also, everyone was expected to be able to do any and all tasks within the store.
The only time the job became hard was when a delivery would arrive late.
Each shift had goals that needed to be completed by a certain time. The feeling of completing these tasks on time or earlier always brought a smile to my face.
Never a dull moment
Mate (Current Employee), Burien, WAFebruary 20, 2015
Pros: the staff, generous benefits, discount on everything, the culture of tj's.
Cons: the required schedule for management
Trader Joe's is a great place to work. From the Crew to the management, there is a positive energy where we can have fun but still get our daily duties done. My only negative feedback would be the schedule that the Mates (management) is required to work. We work 50 hours a week, which is great, the downside being that we work a descending schedule. This means that our first two shifts to begin the week are two closing shifts (ending at 11pm), a mid (9-5), followed by two openings (4 or 6am). By the time you get to your weekend you're to tired to do anything, but again, the overtime is the trade off. All in all, I love my job but I have done all that I can within the company. I would like new challenges and to learn new skills.
highly productive and costumer service quality
Crew member at Springfield Trader Joe's (Current Employee), Springfield, VAFebruary 16, 2015
I did learn how to interact with costumers while focusing on the wow costumer experience. Since I have been working at Trader Joe's I did improve much many conversational skills because one of the requirement of my job is to start a conversation with any costumer while serving. So I have to come out with some strategies that help me to start a conversation, to make them enjoying talking to me.
Crew Member (Current Employee), Mission Viejo, CAFebruary 15, 2015
Pros: benefits such as health, retirement, paid time off, and more.
Cons: favoritism at times. depends on the store and managers
You can't beat a place with flexible hours, benefits, and an overall friendly atmosphere. The job is physically demanding, but manageable when utilizing proper techniques. Management can be both great and bad. It depends on the store and the manager(s). Like any job, problems involving favoritism, lack of communication and lack of honesty exist, and far too often, the Company is unwilling to take action until it reaches a high breaking point. Standards are put in place but rarely adhered to, and crew members rarely held accountable. Besides that, it's a friendly atmosphere, fun place to work.
Perfect work atmosphere!
Sign Artist and Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 12, 2015
Pros: fun atmosphere, great pay, chances to advance, nice benefits, you're valued as a person, make friends
Cons: crew member discount
Awesome place to work. Friendly coworkers with a very relaxed, but efficient work atmosphere. Human warmth and understanding.
I was responsible, along with another colleague for the beautiful artwork for the store.
Great Part-Time Job
Section Head (Current Employee), Bakersfield, CAJanuary 26, 2015
A typical day, in the morning starts with unloading the truck and putting product on the shelves. Managers do the same work as the employees which highlights Trader Joe's egalitarian attitude. The co-workers are some of the nicest people I have ever met. The hardest part of the job is the repetitive heavy lifting which can take a toll on the joints. The most enjoyable part of the job is creating a good customer experience by marketing products to them.
Fun and Happy workplace
Grocery Clerk (Former Employee), Orange, CAJanuary 23, 2015
My day would start off by checking in and stocking the product that I ordered. I would then go to lunch. I would then cashier for a couple hours. Finally I would take inventory of my back stock and write my order for the next day. I learned how to keep accurate records of my inventory and how to order the right amount of product. Management was excellent, very personable and willing to teach. I enjoyed my co-workers, everyone was happy-go-lucky and fun to work with (very teamwork orientated). The most enjoyable part of the job would be working with my co-workers (many of us became friends outside of work), customer service was also an enjoyable aspect of the job.
Fun Crew Members
Crew Member (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: crew members are very friendly.
Cons: no advancement.
I loved the people that i worked with. FUN. But there is no advancement opportunities within the company. If you enjoy being a crew member for life, then this is the place for you. Plus, after i graduated from a 4yr Accredited University, i wanted more.
Enjoyable work experience, great benefits
Customer Service/Sales (Current Employee), Shrewsbury, MAJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: great people, good benefits, nice work environment
Cons: some heavy lifting, somewhat physically demanding
Trader Joe's is well known for its excellent customer service. The company facilitates a great staff by offering a very good benefit package, a warm work environment and a positive management philosophy. The hours are flexible and the entire staff is fun and vibrant to be around. While the company is known for great service, there is also a lot of physical labor involved, including unloading delivery trucks, stocking shelves and light maintenance. Every employee is expected to be knowledgeable about the variety of products and departments in the store, and every worker has a varied shift that might include working the register, dairy box, produce & bread sections, as well stocking the grocery aisle during a shift. This variety goes a long way toward keeping us alert to new items and customer favorites and also keeps each shift far from monotonous.

1 2 3 4 5

About Trader Joe's

When it comes to grocery chains, Trader Joe's isn't your average Joe. With some 375 stores in 30-plus states, the company offers – Read more

Trader Joe's Salaries