Trader Joe's

Trader Joe's Employer Reviews

Good Company
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Fontana, CAJuly 16, 2014
Pros: nice environment
Enjoyed working for them. Treated the employees good. Nice co-workers.
a face pace working environment.
Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYJuly 2, 2014
Kind and helpful. They trained everything in a step by step process for which understanding.
Friendly and fun working environment.
Fast paced company with opportunity to grow
Section Leader (Current Employee), Stamford, CTJune 17, 2014
Pros: benefits, crew members, managers, food, hard work, fast paced, raises every 6 months based on work preformance
Cons: none to be noted at this time
I love working at Trader Joe's in Stamford, CT. I write an order for the store, and have been getting more and more responsibility as the weeks go by. It is labor intensive work, but very rewarding at the end of the day, (Sometimes 9, 10, 11 or 12 at night), when you look at a section that you restocked at the end of the day and it looks immaculate.

Managers – more... at this location are great 99% of the time, but hey, everyone has an off day every now and again. They're some of the best people I have had the pleasure of working with. That's right, WITH!!! All the managers actually work with the crew members!!! They get on their hands and knees and restock the bottom shelves, they clean the toilets, scrub the floors... They work just as hard, sometimes harder than the crew members!!! Trader Joe's has a "Lead by example" policy that their managers listen to.

The crew members are just pleasant to be around also. Most of the time, it feels like you are home hosting a party and the crew members are your family and the customers are the guests... and the managers are the parents... but not in a bad way. Every single person that works with me in Stamford, CT is great!!!

The food is great tasting, great priced, and the environment is unbelievable!!!

Plus, unlike most grocery stores you go to, everyone in Trader Joe's does every job, (with some exceptions, i.e. section leadership/order writing), That means, everyone cashiers, everyone cleans, everyone restocks the shelves, everyone does cart runs, everyone returns bottles for customers, and everyone helps everyone else.

On top of everything, everyone gets 2 reviews a year, at which point, the managers and captain, (Head Manager), grade your performance for the last 6 months, and if you did an outstanding job, you get a raise... TWICE A YEAR!!! That's unheard of in this economy!!!! Now, you have to not only do your job, but continue to improve yourself from the last review, but for most people, that's not hard to do. But the kicker is this... The crew, (Workers), get to review their bosses. WHAT OTHER PLACE DOES THAT?!?!? I would have had a lot to say about a few of my former bosses, but that's neither here nor there.

Overall, Trader Joe's is one of the best places I've worked at and would give it no less than a 5-star rating. ***** – less
Relaxed but yet high paced job constant movement
Crew Member (Former Employee), Upland, CAJune 10, 2014
There is always something that can be done in Trader Joe's from cleaning spilled product to helping customers. Always moving and interacting whether it be with customer or co-worker.
good place to work
Crew Member (Former Employee), Alameda, CAJune 4, 2014
the culture was great
the job was good and consistent
great place to work
Great job.
Crew Member (Current Employee), Pinole, CAMay 14, 2014
Pros: raises every 6 months. can have a balance between life and work.
Cons: managers and bureaucracy. advancement.
If you love food then this job is for you. Competitive wages and a fun atmosphere. Managers can suffer from favoritism. Job is relatively easy just show up and do work. The hardest part of the job is dealing with managers that favor more over other employees. Learning about food and providing professional customer experience is what you are going to – more... learn working here. Advancement upwards can be difficult and political. Make take an upwards of 5 plus years if you don't have any experience. – less
It was a fun and enjoyable place to work!
Crew Member (Former Employee), Irvine, CAMay 1, 2014
Pros: free food, good pay, benefits, good hours
Cons: getting days off and never getting weekends off (it might just have been my store)
It's a busy job, you're constantly doing something but that's what I liked. The people that worked there were really cool and the customer base was awesome. The only hard part I would say is being able to work fast and efficiently, especially during the holidays. Best part of the job was the appreciation people have for TJ workers and getting to know – more... the customers. – less
High volume store that provides strong customer service
Crew Member (Former Employee), Richmond, VAApril 29, 2014
Store is extremely busy so the workload can be physically demanding. Co-workers are fun and make the job interesting!
Fun and engaging work enviornment
Crew Member (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 28, 2014
Pros: excellent management, engaged coworkers, employee centered company
Cons: inconsistent hours
An extremely busy storefront, with earnings +$800,000/week, lends itself to an active, challenging, and customer oriented work day. It honed my ability to balance lightning efficiency with a detail oriented work ethic. This growth is consistently bolstered by my meaningful day to day interactions with fellow crew members. Each week we grow closer not – more... just as colleagues but as friends.

A typical day at an urban Trader Joe's consists of interacting with about 3,000 new and returning customers. Each one of these patrons is arriving with the knowledge that Trader Joe's is superior in customer service within the world of retail. To ensure this reputation is perpetuated I, as a crew member, am expected to achieve a scrutinized array of abilities every day.

Balancing these is the hardest part of my job, and it's also the most rewarding. One day bounces from delegating detailed tasks with my colleagues to increasing the sales of highlighted products via spontaneous and passionate customer demonstrations. Next I spend an hour balancing till between $250-$500. After this I'll take an hour and move through the store, interacting with each customer on a personal level. When time permits, I'll draft engaging product descriptions to further my coworkers knowledge of the diverse items we highlight each week.

Navigating a day like this requires constant awareness, critical thinking, an eye for language, and expert interpersonal skills. – less
Busy, Fun-filled workplace. A company with employees that strive to provide superb customer service.
Crew Member (Current Employee), Lake Grove, New YorkApril 22, 2014
Pros: fun work place, health and retirement benefits, flexible hours.
Cons: limited room for advancement.
A typical day at Trader Joe's is spent restocking grocery shelves, writing orders for the store, and spending time with our customers. We have a good management staff which directs the flow of the day's work, and keeps the work environment fun and challenging. We are a team driven company, so my co-workers and I are very dependent and supportive of – more... each other. The hardest part of the job is that since this is a retail job, sometimes we are short staffed due to employee turnover. This is when the remaining crew shines because we are able to pick up the slack of the "missing" bodies. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we are encouraged to spend time with our customers. – less
Great Place!
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee), Monrovia, CAApril 8, 2014
Trader Joe's is a great place and care for their employee's. Team work is an essential part of the job and there is always something to do.
Great work place with lots of energy.
Trader Joe's (Current Employee), Portland, ORMarch 25, 2014
Pros: great insurance and crew.
Cons: on your feet all day.
The days at Trader Joe's are fast paced. The days are filled with lifting heavy boxes and stocking the shelves to make sure the customers have product to shop. There is a lot of interaction with the customer as well. Customer service is very important for the job and without it you cannot succeed with the company. I've learned great customer service – more... skills and how to deal with people in many different situations. My Co-workers are the best part of the job. We all have a great attitude and know how to work well with one another. The hardest part of the job would have to be the hours of work. Although it is only an eight hour day, the start times can be very early. The closing shift is late in the evening and sometimes the turn around for coming back into work make it hard to get personal things done outside of work. I would have to say that the most enjoyable part of the job is being around people and having the ability to walk around and keep moving all day. – less
A great company to work for with one of the best environments for employees.
Merchant (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 25, 2014
Pros: all the above.
Cons: the ability to build new stores in areas where they would thrive. not all locations did so.
My 11 years employed by this company was one of the best experiences I have had in my work career.
A typical day goes by so quickly mainly because the job was so enjoyable. I learned about how to treat customers and how to gain profit through engagement with customers. Merchandising and knowing the products to educate co-workers and customers about – more... the Trader Joe's brand and way of business.
The most difficult part of the job was keeping up with the business at hand. Keeping product available for our customers at all parts of the day.
I enjoyed every facet of the Trader Joe's culture. – less
Fun and creative work environment
SIGN ARTIST (Current Employee), Orange, CTMarch 19, 2014
Pros: healthcare, set reviews, fun environment
Cons: limited growth
I've always loved working for Trader Joe's. As a sign artist I have a lot of fun and have so much freedom to do whatever I want creatively. I love working for my boss and enjoy seeing my co-workers every day.
GREAT
Cashier (Former Employee), New York, NYMarch 14, 2014
IT WASSSSS A COOOL PLACE TO WORK FRIENDLY CO WORKERS I DIDNT REALLY WANNA LEAVE BENIFITS R GREAT TO
Fantastic place to work.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAMarch 12, 2014
Fun place to shop, work, overall a great place. The crew are friendly. Management are friendly people that really care about the crew.
Good place to begin as a warehouse worker
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee), Olympia, WAMarch 10, 2014
* Every we had safety meeting before work.
* I learned how to load semi-trucks using big electric pallet jacks.
* I had an outstanding co-workers everyone worked hard and we helped each other when someone need it help with anything.
* The hard part on the job was when it was raining because we had difficulties loading trucks when the docks were wet.
* – more... I did enjoy my job and I enjoy working with my supervisors and co-workers beautiful experience. – less
Very fun workplace
Section Leader (Current Employee), Columbia, SCMarch 9, 2014
Pros: great work environment
Cons: hard to climb the ladder
Great working environment! Learned a great deal about customer service and leadership skills.
A good company to work for
Crew Leader (Current Employee), Boston, MAMarch 4, 2014
Trader Joe's is a great company to work for. They offer full benefits for employees over 30 hours/week, retirement, bonuses, and flexible hours. Employees are given the skills to make their own decisions throughout the store. Employees work hard and are rewarded. It is a fun and dynamic environment to work in.
Treder Jo's is an overall great company. However, menagment is a whole nother story
Crew member (Former Employee), Norcross, GAFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: good pay, great customers, you can sample vino at work
Cons: hard work, managment, week communication, disorder
I am full-time student and I work for U.S. Navy reserves. As loyal customer of Trader Joe’s, I thought maybe I should apply for part-time position there since I like the food and the atmosphere. I was hired short time after; training was insufficient and unorderly. Mangers were all over the place, confusion was unavoidable. However, I kept my positive – more... attitude and I worked hard. I’ve started to notice that management did not recognize your hard work. I missed almost all my 10min brakes and no one cared at all. Long story short, I was becoming very irritated by the lack knowledge of some managers and employees. Short time after I’ve decided to resign, simply because the job was not up to par. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About Trader Joe's

When it comes to grocery chains, Trader Joe's isn't your average Joe. With some 375 stores in 30-plus states, the company offers – Read more