Tradesmen International Employee Reviews in United States

If you like selling homeless people (Turdsmen), then this is the opportunity for you!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 2, 2016
A typical day involves going from job site to job site pedaling bums and other delinquents who are unlikely to show up for work even if you manage to sell them. After you sell them you can be almost guaranteed you will have a headache on your hands after they show or don't show up for work...it really doesn't matter either way. If you manage to get this far you can then try to chase the money for the transients hours whom you managed to pedal. If you get the money, great...now you get a micro-commission. If you don't get the money, you can look forward to being hassled on the phone during your weekly collection call. Nobody gets paid unless someone pays for your Turdsmen.
Pros
Getting your measly salary check
Cons
Waking up employed by TI
high-stress, overly demanding, unrealistic expectations
Field Representative/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Any officeMarch 18, 2016
Here's a summary list of issues I and my former colleagues experienced. (Be prepared, I've written a novel)
As a field rep:
You have a fixed salary at $30,000 with a $400 vehicle allowance IF you drive more than 800 miles within a month. You must fill out a form documenting your mileage, otherwise your allowance becomes taxed, HEAVILY.
Your job is comparable to most other B2B sales jobs. 1) Wake up almost unreasonably early and drive around town soliciting construction outfits trying to sell them labor support that's far more expensive than competitors with the stipulation that Tradesmen labor is also far superior in skill and demeanor. The truth is, Tradesmen hires from the same local pool that competitors hire from, so the labor is identical. In fact, I've worked with field employees (as they're called) that bounce between one staffing agency to another looking for work.
The issue in this is that you're selling an unstable, unreliable product most of the time. Whether they show up to work, perform adequately or even know how to do the work is entirely a mystery. Vetting candidates is a difficult task, as Tradesmen cannot perform practical testing to gauge trade skill and comprehension. When a field employee is found to be unreliable or unprofessional, it becomes your job to throw another warm body on site until you get the right fit. It was more or less equivalent to throwing gas drenched timber on a fire.
Your commissions are based off of the GP obtained from paying clients. Which is an extremely unstable or even volatile process. If the client pays their bill within
  more... 30 days, you receive 100% of the commission off of the GP. I feel I should stress, the GP is a % of the revenue obtained. EX: If a client pays $5000 (revenue) ON TIME, you can expect to receive 5% of the GP, with the GP being (on average) around 30-33% of the revenue. Do the math, it isn't good.
I could go on to explain how obtaining reasonable commission is nearly impossible, as late payments detract from your bonus (31-60 days payment =75% bonus, 61-90 day payment 50% bonus, 91+ days payment =no commission.) To summarize, the company makes you responsible for collecting what's owed to them, but if your labor is unreliable or hurts productivity, it becomes almost impossible to convince your client that they should pay.
When you fail to meet, no, exceed your goals and expectations (which are almost completely out of you control) you better expect your GM and AM to rain fire and brimstone on you. You end up being caught in the middle of unsatisfied, duped and cheated clients, oblivious, hostile field employees and unstable, avarice management.
Corporate likes to boast about the insane commission you can make "if you just try hard enough", an ingenious tactic to make you feel responsible for any shortcomings, whether they're your fault or not. Their numbers come from a select few reps who happen to have family in the construction industry or reside in an area with an industrial boom. They preach the exception, not the rule.
As a Project Coordinator:
Your day starts typically at 6 A.M. and ends typically around 7 A.M. depending on your location and market. The base salary is $35,000 and your commission structure is about 1.2 - 1.5% of the GP received from each employee you dispatch. (Refer to field rep description to see how well that works out). Remember, it's GP, not revenue. You're required to proactively recruit, whether there is available work or not. They make you responsible for conducting multiple appointments per week. I was required to have between 30-35 appointments scheduled per week, with the assumption that I could hire 8 eligible candidates at the end. Tradesmen looks for the most qualified craftsmen, which is fine, but retaining them as employees is next to impossible when there's no work for them in the first place. I was required to hire people on the assumption that the contractor MAY have work, IF they win a bid, which MAY have a start date in the near future and as icing on the cake will consider whether they want to be a client or not. The management gets fired up and pressures the PC's to hire a multitude for nothing more than hopes, if's and hearsay.
If your office is small, you also double as the admin, so your workload substantially increases. The only benefit to this is that you receive your table scrap commission whether the client pays or not. That's really the only security you can expect to have. Unfortunately, you become responsible for keeping some good guys on the hook for a job which may or may not manifest and you peddle humans like meat all in the name of a quick buck. Tradesmen tries to distance itself from other staffing agencies by waving the banner of highly-skilled craftsmen. Unfortunately, the opposite is true.
Side note: You obtain benefits (Partial benefits for the first 6 months), but you had better hope you never have to use them. Try making ends meet when your salary is low, your commission is non-existent and your insurance deductible is $6000. Next time you head to the hospital better be because you lost a limb.
Pros
reasonable pay in low cost of living areas
Cons
Where do you want me to begin?

Comment – April 27, 2016

Update: During the last week of my employment with Tradesmen, I had worked Mon-Wed. On Wednesday afternoon, I had a cracked timing cover gasket and couldn't drive my car into work. I had accrued two vacation days (which is all you get in your first year) and decided that I would simply use those. This was the week of March 20-26 (which was the first week of the pay period). Doing the quick math, this would cover all five work days for that week. It's now the 27th of April, I still haven't received my final check. I filed a complaint with the Dept. of Labor, who in turn called me today stating that they'll pay the 3 days I worked and only one day of vacation. Because I couldn't foresee every outcome, I failed to keep documentation of everything before I moved out of state and now will lose one day of vacation on that check (FYI, vacation doesn't have to be paid legally, as I learned from DOL). I now have to sign an affidavit stating that I didn't receive the final check that they "mailed" in order to get another one sent to my new address. This, mind you, is after I requested that the general manager hold my check until I had a new address to provide him. Coincidentally, my $49 commission check (after an entire month of work) came in to my new address, but my regular payroll check apparently has been lost into the ether. Don't let yourselves be used and cheated by this company.

Terrible place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  MemphisOctober 20, 2015
Their philosophy is hire slow and fire fast!, no job security, no loyalty from management and they promise you will make a bunch of money but it never works out. You have to worry about collections and when client doesn't pay you lose your commission. You spend more time doing the recruiters job then actually going out and getting new business or growing your business within. Overall it is not a good place to work, they treat their employees with no respect. Upper management only cares about numbers and not their people.
Pros
Cons
Low pay and huge turnover should tell you to stay clear
complete BS!!
pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVDecember 30, 2015
I worked for Tradesman while being laid off in the winter from my pipeline job. This is nothing more than a numbers game, a very poorly run "temp service" under the guise of hiring and placing people with an actual skill set.
To this day I have never been paid for the work I did do for them. The manager of the office I came out of is a drunk. The payroll clerk is a liar, I was told they didn't receive my time sheet first then later the paycheck was mailed to wrong address then that the check was at the Pittsburgh office.... who really knows?? Its been a year and a half and have never received compensation.
Do yourself a favor and stay as far away from this abomination as you can I ignored similar war stories from others only to end up with one of my own.
Pros
ZERO
Cons
Pick one...plenty to choose from
Great company to work for
PROJECT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJuly 5, 2016
As long as you are willing to give what it takes to keep food on the table for the construction workers, this is the job for you. The company will bend over backwards to keep the workers happy. They do not have the time to mess with guys who are not devoted to the concept of working for the client, (being on time, just showing up for that matter, putting in an honest days work.) I was a field employee and then an office employee and understand all aspects of the company and see from both sides. Good workers will continue to work and poor workers will have a hard time finding work anywhere.
Pros
BENEFITS, COMPANY AS A WHOLE
Cons
LONG WORK HOURS
Cares about Employees
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, INJuly 14, 2016
Tradesmen International is a company that truly cares about their employees. They conduct a thorough training course, which enhances your skills to become a great asset to Tradesmen International. Not only do they conduct training courses, but they also provide free OSHA 10 certifications to their employees to ensure that their field employees are educated on safety precautions and increase their employee's marketability to clients. They continually keep the workplace environment fun, entertaining, and goal-oriented. Great company to work for.
Lots of Advancement Opportunities
General Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesDecember 11, 2015
Tradesmen is an excellent company to work for. The problem many people face who work for Tradesmen is that many offices are allowed to be self-directed, which in many cases is a great thing and sometimes can be a negative thing.

There is a lot of opportunity at Tradesmen. One of my first field employee hires has been hired as a rep with another office, and from what I understand he is doing great. Personally, I started out as a recruiter and then became a project coordinator, followed by a general manager within the first year.

What I'm saying is that if you are a skilled, qualified individual with a good support system around you, and you are willing to put in the time, you can have a great career at Tradesmen.
Pros
80/20 health plan
good company to work for
Electrician Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COJune 5, 2016
Ludvik Electric is a good company to work for. A typical day is going to what ever site i'm scheduled at and helping the Journeyman complete the work that we need to complete for that day My co-workers are good people and who work hard and have a great team player ethic. The hardest part of my job is when we run to a lot of issues and can not complete the tasks on time due to solutions we have at that moment. The easiest or enjoyable part is working with my hands and with a team to complete the job.
Pros
competitive pay, paid school
Cons
n/a
Productive and worldly although unsteady work
Welder, electrician, painter (Former Employee) –  WisconsinMarch 6, 2016
Tradesmen provides job opportunities to travel to different areas of the state and offers out of state jobs as well. Work was never a dull moment in that I enjoyed changes of the job environment as well as people. I was able to utilize many useful skills and keep them polished with the ever changing work assignments. Although I enjoyed traveling within reason this was probably the hardest part of the job, considering that I had to leave family behind and was sometimes a 1-2 week span before seeing them again. As far as the assignments themselves go, it was difficult to manage steady income because as soon as the particular job was finished, Tradesmen had to find another assignment right away to fill the gap otherwise it left me unemployed which caused a lot of stress in the family.
Pros
Traveling and meeting new people, seeing new things
Cons
employment gaps
Construction
Office Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Macedonia, OHMarch 13, 2016
Poor management. Hostile work environment. Several Field Offices, including the Project Support Group drank alcoholic beverages on the job on a daily basis.
Pros
Hot meals available without leaving the office
Cons
Food wasn't always cooked properly, leavinig you with a stomach ache for the remainder of the day.
I would like a place that had a bit more stability on job sites
Journeyman Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 16, 2016
I am very comfortable leading crews and figuring out what needs to be done next in any citation. I have very good finishing skills as well and have been on a rotating finishing crew. I am to the point in my career I am ready to go to work as an asset to a strong company and I know I would be able to augment any crew I was on.

I believe with the right company I could be in a foreman and/or superintendent position in the near future. I would like a chance to prove myself in a stable role.
very productive job alot to learn from this company
Electrical Apprentice (Current Employee) –  515 s kansas aveMarch 9, 2016
Trades men international is a great job my days at work are outstanding everyday you learn something new nothing to be afraid of co workers are great management is outstanding very understanding nothing hard about this job
Only if you are despirate
Journeyman Pipefitter (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNFebruary 4, 2016
TOO MUCH TO WRITE ...... jumped around from one company to the next, never know how long you would be employed . I worked for them several different times, I was despirate ! I might have worked three weeks straight at most. Management out of the office I worked so disrespectful. The whole operation was run poorly....Two thumbs down!!
building houses
Residental Framer (Former Employee) –  Inver Grove, MNMay 28, 2016
I had a different task everyday. I learned that the field is much different than school. management was lax and allowed me to learn my co-workers was diligent and always willing to lend a hand. hardest part about this job was trying to see where I fit in or belong being new to the field but because I'm a fast learner I got it pretty fast thanks to good management. most enjoyable was the learning experience and co-workers.
Pros
Gave me a chance to show my talents.
Cons
weather and lay offs
Professional & personable Supervisors
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLJanuary 27, 2016
I enjoy working for Tradesmen International
Every day was different & unique
I learned a lot from them new & different construction techniques
Management always hard at it finding work
co-workers pleasant to work with
nothing hard about the job
staff 7 worker safety meetings etc...
Pros
pizza parties, company picnics
Cons
some times a gap between jobs
Fun place to work, very quick to cut sales
Field Representative (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHMay 3, 2016
The best thing about the job is the culture. It has everything you'd expect from a construction field and sales. The downside is training and expectations. Expecting a new field rep to generate 1.25 million a year in a his first year in a new, underdeveloped territory has led to the constant turnover that has left the territory like that. No client can build a relationship with a new sales rep every few months.
Pros
relaxed environment
Cons
no support
Fun place to work but frustrating
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  AnonymousJune 8, 2016
Tradesmen is tough because it is decent money and depending on your office you have most of the day free to hopefully work or do whatever you want. But you just have to be ready to constantly let people down. Very rarely does what you promised in your initial meetings actually work as planned. You rely on unreliable people to 1) show up on time 2) to be as skilled as what they initially told you. The people in the office are awesome and I loved the team I worked with but management focuses on the wrong things sometimes and constantly wants you to argue with clients about things that don't even matter. The thing is these companies need Tradesmen International and even though they are giving you a hard time they still have a need for additional employees. The commissions are based on companies paying their invoices in a timely manner but large companies pay invoices later then small companies so your big clients you usually don't make as much commission as you should. You have to constantly deal with issues not just from your clients but from the workers themselves. You are basically a glorified baby sitter.
Pros
Very fun enviroment
Cons
Commision structure. Employees being paid on time. Baby sitting adults
Not so good
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIAugust 18, 2016
It was okay at first when I didn't understand whom I was working for.
But now I just like to let the public know this is a temp job. Not a real job! They market themselves as such but not quite so. They work with contractors and are not contractors themselves. Most of the people that work there don't understand the work most people are doing.
Pros
ok place to work as a filler
Cons
bad pay based upon labor
Welder
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 5, 2016
Assisting in both startups, and shut downs at a Copper, and Gold mine in Carlsbad, Arizona. Demolishing structures deemed unsafe by MSHA so they could be redesigned and rebuilt. Among duties there include the up keep of silos, conveyors and handrails. I was among the last of the workers to leave for the startup, and was hand-picked to change a wood wheel brake in the elevator housing up a 200’ ft. brake house, and also repaired a fallen elevator at a depth 0f 6700; by retrieving lodged elevators and repairs to its shaft.
production
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 31, 2016
great pay great people alot of hours and good benefits for life and if you like to travel working alot of hours can be the down fall

2.8