Tradesmen International Employee Reviews in United States

Best company ever!
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Bufalo, NyApril 27, 2016
Great atmosphere, great people, awesome job opportunities. Excellent benefits, and great pay including safety incentives such as $.50 raise every 500 hours worked safely!
Pros
Best opportunity for a solid career
Good Opportunity
Representative (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSApril 22, 2016
You wont find a better place to give you a vast amount of experience in and even out of your trade. There isnt a lot of contractors that we don't work with.
temporary
sheet metal mechanic (Former Employee) –  Newport News, VAApril 19, 2016
tradesman international is a temporary employment service which provides temporary jobs on naval bases with excellent pay
Great Company
Journeymen Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Stafford, TXApril 14, 2016
Awesome Supervisors, wish work was a little more steady. Trouble finding jobs close to my house. Pay is okay. appreciative of the trades I have been taught along the way to add to my experience
Cons
short term jobs
Fun Workplace
Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAApril 12, 2016
Working for Tradesmen was the perfect company for me, loved the co-workers, loved working with the people I worked with, it was like one big happy family
Pros
Provided lunch
Cons
No healhtcare coverage
Demolition Crewman (Former Employee) –  Norfolk, VAApril 10, 2016
Tradesman was a great place to work. I was fairly new to this country when I started working there and they gave me the opportunity of having my first job in the U.S. Unfortunately it was only for a specific contract that did not last that long.
Pros
Good management
Cons
It's contract work
A good company to work for
Welder (Current Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 8, 2016
Tradesman international is a construction staffing company. They gave me my first welding experience. I got to work with some of the most knowledgeable people in every construction field
Pros
Good work experience
Welder
Welder/Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 5, 2016
Assisting in both startups, and shut downs at a Copper, and Gold mine in Carlsbad, Arizona. Demolishing structures deemed unsafe by MSHA so they could be redesigned and rebuilt. Among duties there include the up keep of silos, conveyors and handrails. I was among the last of the workers to leave for the startup, and was hand-picked to change a wood wheel brake in the elevator housing up a 200’ ft. brake house, and also repaired a fallen elevator at a depth 0f 6700; by retrieving lodged elevators and repairs to its shaft.
cool place to work
Plumbers Helpers/Skilled Laborer (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNApril 4, 2016
this job here was more like a temp service for construction workers and people with trades the pay was good but you never know were your next assignment was going to be at but the staff was cool and down to earth.
Very good pay and repetitive work
Solar Construction Laborer (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCApril 4, 2016
I made a lot of money in a small amount of time working here. I also enjoyed the work because it was not too hard. I enjoyed it.
If you like selling homeless people (Turdsmen), then this is the opportunity for you!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesApril 2, 2016
A typical day involves going from job site to job site pedaling bums and other delinquents who are unlikely to show up for work even if you manage to sell them. After you sell them you can be almost guaranteed you will have a headache on your hands after they show or don't show up for work...it really doesn't matter either way. If you manage to get this far you can then try to chase the money for the transients hours whom you managed to pedal. If you get the money, great...now you get a micro-commission. If you don't get the money, you can look forward to being hassled on the phone during your weekly collection call. Nobody gets paid unless someone pays for your Turdsmen.
Pros
Getting your measly salary check
Cons
Waking up employed by TI
production
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 31, 2016
great pay great people alot of hours and good benefits for life and if you like to travel working alot of hours can be the down fall
one of the best national networks
Industrial Mechanic/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMarch 31, 2016
If you take good care of the client, actually take a customer service mindset, you will get a lot of good traveling work over time.
fun office with foosball table
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Columbus, OHMarch 23, 2016
good work enviroment, and they will keep you working as long as you work! the office staff is plesent to work with. and employee parties every month.
Staff
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 22, 2016
very professional staff, limited territory area, pay is good, wish they had work for me in my area. did not have enough work for me
Cons
did not have enough work for me
co workers from this co. do not provide proof of skill set and its embarrassing
heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 21, 2016
Great for a temp job if you really need the money. I was constantly out of work for weeks at a time, I was promised nothing less than 13.00 hr to start and first job sent to was 4 hrs rt daily drive for 9.00 hr. nothing ever added up and I was lied to every week.
Blood, sweet, and tears
Roofer (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, ARMarch 19, 2016
As a roofer, most of my time spent was at a thirty degree angle, two stories high, on a hot summer day ripping off and nailing loads of shingles. Even though I was exhausted every day, working side by side with a team made it wroth it at the end of the day. Also, roofing feels very productive and important. If the roof was not 100% sealed, the water damage can cause thousands of building repairs. I learned most out of this job is to stay in school.
high-stress, overly demanding, unrealistic expectations
Field Representative/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Any officeMarch 18, 2016
Here's a summary list of issues I and my former colleagues experienced. (Be prepared, I've written a novel)
As a field rep:
You have a fixed salary at $30,000 with a $400 vehicle allowance IF you drive more than 800 miles within a month. You must fill out a form documenting your mileage, otherwise your allowance becomes taxed, HEAVILY.
Your job is comparable to most other B2B sales jobs. 1) Wake up almost unreasonably early and drive around town soliciting construction outfits trying to sell them labor support that's far more expensive than competitors with the stipulation that Tradesmen labor is also far superior in skill and demeanor. The truth is, Tradesmen hires from the same local pool that competitors hire from, so the labor is identical. In fact, I've worked with field employees (as they're called) that bounce between one staffing agency to another looking for work.
The issue in this is that you're selling an unstable, unreliable product most of the time. Whether they show up to work, perform adequately or even know how to do the work is entirely a mystery. Vetting candidates is a difficult task, as Tradesmen cannot perform practical testing to gauge trade skill and comprehension. When a field employee is found to be unreliable or unprofessional, it becomes your job to throw another warm body on site until you get the right fit. It was more or less equivalent to throwing gas drenched timber on a fire.
Your commissions are based off of the GP obtained from paying clients. Which is an extremely unstable or even volatile process. If the client pays their bill within
  more... 30 days, you receive 100% of the commission off of the GP. I feel I should stress, the GP is a % of the revenue obtained. EX: If a client pays $5000 (revenue) ON TIME, you can expect to receive 5% of the GP, with the GP being (on average) around 30-33% of the revenue. Do the math, it isn't good.
I could go on to explain how obtaining reasonable commission is nearly impossible, as late payments detract from your bonus (31-60 days payment =75% bonus, 61-90 day payment 50% bonus, 91+ days payment =no commission.) To summarize, the company makes you responsible for collecting what's owed to them, but if your labor is unreliable or hurts productivity, it becomes almost impossible to convince your client that they should pay.
When you fail to meet, no, exceed your goals and expectations (which are almost completely out of you control) you better expect your GM and AM to rain fire and brimstone on you. You end up being caught in the middle of unsatisfied, duped and cheated clients, oblivious, hostile field employees and unstable, avarice management.
Corporate likes to boast about the insane commission you can make "if you just try hard enough", an ingenious tactic to make you feel responsible for any shortcomings, whether they're your fault or not. Their numbers come from a select few reps who happen to have family in the construction industry or reside in an area with an industrial boom. They preach the exception, not the rule.
As a Project Coordinator:
Your day starts typically at 6 A.M. and ends typically around 7 A.M. depending on your location and market. The base salary is $35,000 and your commission structure is about 1.2 - 1.5% of the GP received from each employee you dispatch. (Refer to field rep description to see how well that works out). Remember, it's GP, not revenue. You're required to proactively recruit, whether there is available work or not. They make you responsible for conducting multiple appointments per week. I was required to have between 30-35 appointments scheduled per week, with the assumption that I could hire 8 eligible candidates at the end. Tradesmen looks for the most qualified craftsmen, which is fine, but retaining them as employees is next to impossible when there's no work for them in the first place. I was required to hire people on the assumption that the contractor MAY have work, IF they win a bid, which MAY have a start date in the near future and as icing on the cake will consider whether they want to be a client or not. The management gets fired up and pressures the PC's to hire a multitude for nothing more than hopes, if's and hearsay.
If your office is small, you also double as the admin, so your workload substantially increases. The only benefit to this is that you receive your table scrap commission whether the client pays or not. That's really the only security you can expect to have. Unfortunately, you become responsible for keeping some good guys on the hook for a job which may or may not manifest and you peddle humans like meat all in the name of a quick buck. Tradesmen tries to distance itself from other staffing agencies by waving the banner of highly-skilled craftsmen. Unfortunately, the opposite is true.
Side note: You obtain benefits (Partial benefits for the first 6 months), but you had better hope you never have to use them. Try making ends meet when your salary is low, your commission is non-existent and your insurance deductible is $6000. Next time you head to the hospital better be because you lost a limb.
Pros
reasonable pay in low cost of living areas
Cons
Where do you want me to begin?

Comment – April 27, 2016

Update: During the last week of my employment with Tradesmen, I had worked Mon-Wed. On Wednesday afternoon, I had a cracked timing cover gasket and couldn't drive my car into work. I had accrued two vacation days (which is all you get in your first year) and decided that I would simply use those. This was the week of March 20-26 (which was the first week of the pay period). Doing the quick math, this would cover all five work days for that week. It's now the 27th of April, I still haven't received my final check. I filed a complaint with the Dept. of Labor, who in turn called me today stating that they'll pay the 3 days I worked and only one day of vacation. Because I couldn't foresee every outcome, I failed to keep documentation of everything before I moved out of state and now will lose one day of vacation on that check (FYI, vacation doesn't have to be paid legally, as I learned from DOL). I now have to sign an affidavit stating that I didn't receive the final check that they "mailed" in order to get another one sent to my new address. This, mind you, is after I requested that the general manager hold my check until I had a new address to provide him. Coincidentally, my $49 commission check (after an entire month of work) came in to my new address, but my regular payroll check apparently has been lost into the ether. Don't let yourselves be used and cheated by this company.

very safe place to work at
Electrician Helper (Current Employee) –  Morgantown, WVMarch 18, 2016
love the company everyone there is so nice and works safe and there equipment are safe to run and all foremen are very skilled in what they do.
Great pay, but not enough work.
Apprentice Electrician (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 15, 2016
This is a great company to get your foot into the door. I was hired and put onto a job immediately which was great, but the work is not steady. You don't know whether you will be on the job or sitting on your couch from day to day. I need more stability than that, and a company/crew that I can grow in to.