Tradewinds Island Resorts

Tradewinds Island Resorts Employer Reviews

Beautiful Resort with lots of amenities
Accounting Clerk (Current Employee), St Petersburg Beach, FLNovember 20, 2013
Pros: the greatest bunch of people to work with. all 900 of us
Cons: there are really no horrible cons. there are only a few suggestion to make things better
i only transferred to the accounting dept about 4 months ago but from what i have observed they are a well oiled group of people who have been more than glad to help me and teach me different aspects of the job.
Before transferring to the accounting dept i was the head concierge at the TradeWinds for 7 seasons so i am going to write this review based on that time.
The concierge desk at the TradeWinds is very, very, busy all year around. People ask questions like....are there sharks out there in the gulf ? Your reply is yes. Then they ask if they drive a little bit further south will the sharks still be there. You always have to answer questions with total confidence and composure no matter what the question. Now that is at one end of the spectrum and at the other end is.... My passport has been stolen and i am suppose to leave in 2 days. I ran across this twice in 7 years and you MUST help them. They are scared, confused, and have no idea what to do and they are in a different country and speak a limited amount of English. Both times i was able to take charge, figure out what is needed to be done how to move forward to help them get back home. I am very proud to say both families got home safe and sound. A typical day behind the concierge ranges from the sharks to passports and you ALWAYS have to have your game face on ( a big smile) and be willing to go that extra mile.
Things that i have learned...well i know about all the different restaurants and museums and theme parks ect. but the thing that i feel that i truly conquered was multi-tasking. In my opinion there should have – more... always been 2 people behind the desk from opening to closing and thinking that the manager should suffice as the second person is not truly the answer. That manager is not only responsible for the concierge desk but for the Bellstand, Valet, and Doorman and is needed sometimes by all 4 at the same time. When the resort has 400 in and 400 out, well he is sometimes spread very thin and can only do what he can do. So being a concierge you must develop a very strong and efficient multi-tasking ability to help more than one person at a time and making it look easy and NOT making the guest feel rushed or unimportant. This is a learned skill which i consider to be very valuable.
Now as for the management. I have had really great Managers but, I always said that the upper management should spend at least a week behind the concierge desk and if they did then i believe that they would,and could make some changes that not only benefit the concierge but also the resort and the guest. Unless you spend time behind that desk then you cannot have a realistic idea how truly hard the job is and what all is entailed in doing the job properly. The concierge receives all good reports about the resort and they hear the negative reports about the resort. i feel that management should truly sit down with them and listen to what they have to say and what ideas they might have on how to make things better. i feel by doing this management would be able to effectively come up with a plan to resolve the few issues that are a continuing concern.
I guess the hardest part of my job was standing for 8 to 9 hours on my feet,
The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting new people everyday and welcoming back the guest that come every year. When you can make that connection with a guest from their first time at the resort and you learn their name and speak to them ever time you see them, well this makes them feel like family and this makes this huge resort seem like a mom and pop motel where everyone knows your name. These guest almost always will come back and when they do return they almost always come straight up to you first thing to say hello. i always enjoyed seeing all of our returning guest, and once again trying to make the TradeWinds seem like this wonderful little Mom and Pop motel. – less

Tradewinds Island Resorts Photos