TransAm Trucking

TransAm Trucking Employer Reviews

this company lied from the beginning and when i caught on i was treated like complete filth
driver (Former Employee), olathe kansasJuly 5, 2014
Pros: traveling
Cons: making no money, being lied to, and cheated and having a headache, stressing being late on bills, and rent etc
I worked for the company for two months and at least a week as a lease operator from the beginning I was told that I would make great money and if there were any problems I would have all the help needed at any hour of the day and that I would get 3000 miles per week cause I'm a lease operator being that they took 1700 miles off the top to pay for the – more... truck 1428.00 dollars then .05 cents for mileage and that was off the total amount of miles so at 2700 miles it would come out to 135.00 dollars additional to the 1428.00 and it doesn't end there whatever fuel you use gets deducted from your pay mind you ,you're getting paid pc Miller which I was told were actual miles and aren't so if you get for instance 750 mile run you are actually driving 788 and are only getting paid for the 750 and you just lost 38 miles of pay and you came out your pocket for fuel on 38 additional miles that you had to drive to get to your unload destination and this goes on with all empty runs and loaded runs as well so the additional miles you drive to pick up and unload your loads add up and definitely uses fuel but you don't get compensated for the additional miles driven instead you get more money deducted from your pay and the excuse is you went over on fuel well I noticed this company designed this to make sure all employees go over on fuel so they can benefit from you and make money while you make nothing I was told I should get at least 700-800 weekly but have only been making 200-350 per week this company makes money off of all their clients and the employees and that's wrong they don't give you any help at all and talk to you as if you were nobody there is more but I'm sure I'll put you to sleep explaining it ,I'm currently in the process of taking legal action against the company for many reasons . NOTE:if you get them posses you will not get the mileage you want instead you'll get proper f***** and if you tell them you're gonna give them your two weeks notice you will be stuck wherever your at and forced to abandon your truck ,you have to make it home so you won't remain there and that's when they try and hit you with abandonment a little advice don't work for this company they are liars and crooks and don't care about their employees and the training team there are designed to suck you in with their lies don't lease don't do company go with a different company where you can make money ...... – less
If they offer you a job, RUN!
Lease Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KS & Rockwall, TXJune 2, 2014
Pros: new trucks (that cost you your life)
Cons: everthing !
Worst place I've ever worked. Everything they told me turned out to be lies. They gave me 5 days training with a trainer that slept all the time (no training) and sent me out in a blizzard after that to the NE US. I drove 7 days a week, 10-11 hrs. a day and my paychecks ranged from $60 to $250 per week. Some weeks I owed them money for the privilege – more... of driving for them. If you insist on taking a day off, they'll make sure you make NO money for the next 2 weeks. If you try to give a notice they will keep you far from home and cut off your fuel card so you can't get back, forcing you to abandon your truck, so you won't be able to get another trucking job. These people are the lowest scum of the earth and should be jailed for ruining people's lives. They care about NOBODY but themselves. They have dozens of lawsuits pending, but that doesn't stop them, because they just hire new people every week and use them until they leave & then start over. They hire at least 60-80 people a week and lose just as many. They have an average of 20 or more trucks abandoned every week all over the US by drivers that can't make a living and can't get fuel to go back & turn their trucks in. After TransAm gets their trucks back they sue the drivers for the expenses & ruin their credit. It ought to be against the law. – less
Not a bad place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSMay 29, 2014
Not a bad place to work if your looking for otr.. im looking for more hometime that's the only reason why I left
Overall the job was a good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee), Olathe, KSMay 22, 2014
Pros: working with a lot of people, staying very busy
Cons: angry grumpy drivers that do not want to listen.
Answering the telephone, electronic filing of all the work orders and parts requisitions, Data entry on all of the work orders, Input new vehicle and new trailer information into the system. Verifying the VIN numbers on all the new vehicles. Making sure that all the parts and work preformed on the vehicles and trailers were in the system. Assisted at – more... the parts window when needed. Assisted at the Truck and Trailer shop windows when needed and assigning work to the mechanics, checking on how long the job would take and assigning jobs to certain mechanics that needed to be done asap when needed. Making up reports for the shop foreman when needed. Working side by side with the Shop Foreman. Making spreadsheets and researching paper work on vehicles.
Management were very busy people, they did not have a lot of time to deal with questions.
Co-workers were the mechanics that I worked with, every one was helpful on paperwork when I needed to ask questions about jobs performed.
Hardest part of the job? It was a good job and every day was a learning experience. So you can make a job as hard as you make it, I chose not to make it hard.
The most enjoyable part of the job? Working with a lot of different people and Data entry, ( I love to type). Setting up the annual Drivers appreciation days every year. – less
Great place to work.
Owner/Operator (Former Employee), Olathe, KSMarch 10, 2014
Pros: a new truck to drive.
Cons: to much driving on the northern end blizzards.
Great place to work staff always very helpful. Admistrative Staff always there to assist. 24 hour computer log in.
maybe a good job for someone depends on the person
Lease Contractor Commercial Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSMarch 5, 2014
Pros: lease opertunity or company driver
Cons: mostly operating in north an eastern areas
i would say its a typical trucking company maybe it would be good to research the company to see if the company suit the driver
fun place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSFebruary 13, 2014
Pros: a great career
Cons: lease program
I met a lots of good people at transam. I enjoyed driving around the unitedstates.
Criminal...
Driver Manager (Former Employee), Rockwall, TXFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: good training program
Cons: business model - fail
I have to hand it to the company on providing thorough training. Training is three to four months long and you are trained in every department. By the end of training there should be a good grasp on the overall links between departments and how operations are carried out. However, in my case we may have been better off just throwing me into the dispatch – more... seat, showing me where the bells and whistles are, and not show me the rest. I have almost 30 years experience in the industry so I understood exactly what they were showing me, and most of it I would rather have not ever known.

Their driver managers have a regular fleet of 55-60 trucks to manage. They routinely end up with 2, 3 or even 4 fleets to manage, when another driver manager is absent, when they are short handed, during lunch rotations, shift changes, nights and weekends. OT is routine, mandatory weekends at least once a month, ... and all on a flat salary which is a little shy of industry norms.

The dispatchers - driver managers - spend more time being cursed out and screamed at by lease operators than they do dispatching and managing logistics. It's not exactly a pleasant job. And has very little to do with actual dispatching or managing logistics. When they aren't being abused by drivers they are doing redundant reports for supervisors.

They don't run their own driving school that I'm aware of, but they do hire student drivers directly out of school. I was also made to understand that they have no qualms about recruiting felons fresh from prison. I asked several times about their driver qualifications, but out of the 18 inch stack of paperwork on policy, procedure and document examples they have given me, I still have nothing about driver qualifications or safety requirements.

I guess that's where the horror starts setting in for me. Most of their drivers have limited experience, if any. Driving schools teach folks how to shift gears, make corners, back up and basic DOT regulations. They don't learn how to run a truck profitably, even as a company driver let alone as a business owner. The only cure for that is some experience, no matter who they are, how educated they are, what did previously, or anything else. It can't be taught or learned anywhere but from the seat of a truck. And it takes a little while; not many overnight sensations.

And these unfortunate people get suckered into this lease program. If they don't learn, FAST, they will be in the hole, FAST. To the tune of thousands. For which amounts the company can pursue them as well as blacken their credit reports. Their credit won't buy them a cup of coffee if they fail in this own-your-own-business lease program.

More than half their lease operators are getting negative settlements every week, accumulating an ever increasing negative balance. More than a few are well over $5,000.00 in the negative, several over $10,000.00. Out of the half that aren't in the hole, there are a tiny handful, maybe 5 percent of their entire fleet, making $700 a week or more on settlements. The vast majority are in the $200-$300 range. Before taxes.

They are self insured, both the business insurances and their health insurances for employees and lease operators. Lease operators pay them for all the insurance on the truck, deducted weekly from their settlements. The employee health insurance is nothing to write home about; expensive and not very good coverage. They offer a different health plan to the lease contractors. The premium is cheap enough, around $40 a week, with a $500 deductible. The maximum coverage for any calendar year is $2,000.00. And that's not a typo. The maximum amount paid out in any year for any medical bills is two thousand dollars.

As long as they are not DOT reportable, they don't seem to get to excited about accidents; parking lot fender benders won't get a driver fired, even if he has lots of them. The lease operators have to pay for all the damages, and they own their own body shop where they train guys to do body work, so it's all good. Until the insurance deductibles start hitting the driver settlement.

Most of the people who work at the company seemed nice enough, but I don't know how they sleep at night knowing what their labors are facilitating. I couldn't do it. Sit there being cursed out daily by drivers who have every right and justification to be cursing a blue streak, and knowing full well there is nothing I can do to help them. Their problem, their failure, is built into the system. I can't facilitate taking advantage of people like that. I remember when I first started the job another employee told me it is important to take care of the drivers because the drivers are where the company makes money. Silly me. I thought he meant the company made money from the driver delivering freight. – less
Long Days and Long Nights
Class A Over The Road Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSJanuary 27, 2014
Pros: nice trucks
Cons: the entire lease operating program
Drive for 10 hours, back up to docks, pay lumpers.
I learned that lease operating is not the best way to start your trucking career
Lease operating Management was helpful when it benfitted them. Driver Managers for the most part were great. The ones that most people complained about were the ones that knew nothing about the trucks or the life you had – more... to live as and OTR trucker.
The only real co-worker I had was my fiance and he was awesome!
The hardest part of the job was finding your way to these remote locations they would send you at times.
The most enjoyable part of the job was just being out on the road, meeting all different kid of people, and working with MY driver manager. He was the best driver manager anyone could have asked for – less
ITS ALL A FAKE
Former Driver( Teams with the wifey) (Former Employee), OlatheJanuary 3, 2014
Pros: new equipment, 43 states, apu units
Cons: everything else, pay, miles, staff, fake smiles, fake promises, its all fake
Everything they tell you is the truth with hidden rules, and underlining they don't mention.All of there former drivers are trainers or in the offices making money off of shares and fleet trucks you are driving. There are 60 drivers to one manager.2 to 3 night dispatch. And 1 person usually doing road assist (good luck getting a hold of someone.) Company – more... drivers average between 200 and 500 a week. Lease purchaser if your dispatch runs you priority customers you can easily make 1200 a week. But you can expect 24 to 48 hrs waiting on there meat loads. If your papers dont scan or if they have some" complication with your documents" or if the system goes down they wont pay you and put u in debt. When you ask for an advance its not what you think they credit you double of what you requested. 1/3 gets all profit. Owner ops with your own truck its a terrific job. If you leave within 3 months they will charge you. If you lease an out of service truck they will charge you for any additional damages that come up, they will also charge you if you leave no matter what. Go company you wont go home for about a month to 6 weeks – less
not too bad of company
truck driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSNovember 25, 2013
Pros: unknown
Cons: pay, hometime
was somewhat good miles. low pay .easy to work for. only way to make money is stay out a month or more.
They give a chance to everyone as an independent contractor.
Truck Driver OTR refeer. (Former Employee), Olathe, KSNovember 11, 2013
Pros: nice trucks, lates models.
Cons: not enough miles to drive every week.
it was easy to drive a an automatic transmission truck but when I wanted to switch to a manual truck it was hard to adapt myself to it. also the company can not guarantied the miles and the average was about 2000 per week.
Dont ever sign a lease with this company
Lease driver (Former Employee), Rockwall TXNovember 8, 2013
Pros: nice trucks just go company and its all good
Cons: they lie... just go on thinking if its to good to be true then its a lie
If you sign a lease you won't make any money and you will have the cost of everything, fuel, breakdowns and maintance and forget about getting a bonus for completion of the lease, they will pro rate everything and you will get zero... their will be times you won't get a paycheck and worse you will be in the negative and will owe them for driving their – more... truck... never pay someone to drive their trucks, if you want a paycheck go company driver, get your year in and move on to a better company – less
This job had a lot of perks, and they was the job i could have stayed with, but i came across a family issue, that needed attention.
Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: they would route the drivers back to the terminal every two(2) weeks for a pm on the trailers
Cons: the home time wasn't that great but they didn't run you that hard.
A typical day started out doing your trip and then making sure the trip plan was right. You never start out not sure of where you're going and how to get there in one piece. I learned how to conduct myself in the most professional way to not get into the traps most other Pro Drivers find away to fall victim to. The management teams are great, the way – more... this company set up the drivers to have ample enough time for an on-time delivery, Amazing! Co-workers seemed very pleased with the company, as i was also. The hardest part of this job was, having to leave before i really were ready. I most enjoyed this job, traveling to the Denver, Texas, Nebraska area most times. – less
The only good thing is they have nice trucks.
Driver manager (Former Employee), Rockwall,TXAugust 26, 2013
Pros: nice trucks.
Cons: poor management.
I was a driver manager for TransAm and was not impressed with this company at all. A lot of the other dm's do not care about their fleet drivers and are only there for a paycheck. Upper management is very poor and the leasing department misleads the lease operators. They do have nice trucks with APU's which are very nice to have.
these people are scam artists
Professional Truck Driver/ Trainer (Current Employee), Olathe, KSAugust 10, 2013
Pros: nice trucks that break down alot
Cons: everything
Ive worked at Trans Am for 6 months as an o/o, and Im saying if you have a life at home or are trying to acheive any goals in life,such as bringing home a paycheck after working 60 hrs a week,DO NOT FALL FOR THE BS THESE PEOPLE FEED YOU TOGET ON HERE BECAUSE ITS ALL A LIE.The do not have enough miles for everyoneone and as my own testamony as well as – more... 90% of the people I talk to in our terminal are bringing home absolutley nothing for a paycheck for months at a time. I am a coach for these people,and am on time to every load spoke to all the "higher ups"about getting my miles up and they always feed you the same line of bull that it will be better next week. I am the soul provider in my family,my husband is completeley disabled and I have 3 kids and 2 grandkids,they know this and still they continue to do nothing to ensure I bring home a paycheck. This company and Central Refrigerated have made me feel like I made a grave mistake even getting in this business.Not to mention their night weekend dispatch talk to yoy like your an idiot when you learn very quickly that they are the idiots. Its true that there are drivers that make money but Ive only met 3 out of hundreds. Are you in a position to loose your home gets your utilities shut off or have you disabled loved ones atr home living in a tent and on food stamps,chilling thier refrigerated medicines in a cooler that you cant afford to keep ice in half the time??If you are find a different company to work for cause this aint it. And watch yourself out there because 90% of the big trucking companies are doing this to vulnerable people just looking for a better life. If I could have given them no stars I would have but this didnt give me the option – less
loved over the road
Driver (Former Employee), Olathe, KSJuly 1, 2013
Pros: driving all over the country
Cons: my middle aged daughter cryed every time i left home.
This was a career I really enjoyed, but the lack of home time, and having 3 daughters was very tough to handle. Only home 4 days per month.
They will keep you busy but it is OTR
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Nashville TNMarch 26, 2013
Pros: good equipment and fair pay
Cons: otr
TransAm has good equipment and they kept me busy but the home time was 4 days a month.
Thankful to Have a Job In this Economy
Trucker (Current Employee), Olathe, KSFebruary 26, 2013
I have read the reviews from others and there are more good benefits for being with TransAm Truck than bad. It's always the bad reviews that get posted. But I am just thankful for TransAm and don't see why people would complain about having a decent job with one of the top trucking companies in the country.

The compensation is not a million dollars – more... a year, but that's okay. It was fair pay for fair work. I felt valued and my questions were always answered. I don't know if advancement opportunities are good but I have a plan of my own so really can't rate it.

My manager was good. Some things were out of his hands but he tried to take care of me and other drivers on the road.

The downside was that I was gone a lot but that's the nature of trucking. You are gone, traveling wide and far. I am surprised to see so many people complain about being away from home. It's trucking for pete's sake! – less
Nice modern condo type trucks
Student Truck Driver (Current Employee), Olathe, KSJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: benefits
Cons: far from florida
In training period, nice employer to work for. I drive a 2009 Kenworth T660 Automatic Truck. It's real easy to drive and has a special equipped GPS monitoring system that is reliable.

About TransAm Trucking

No, TransAm Trucking isn't that movie where Burt Reynolds helps haul beer from Texas to Georgia -- that was Smokey and the Bandit. – Read more