TransAm Trucking Employee Reviews in United States

Don't Lease a Truck
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 26, 2016
With zero driving experience, my orientation colleagues and I were pushed to lease a truck. The only difference between company and lease drivers is that lease drivers are responsible for their own taxes and have to put in upwards of 2500 miles a week to earn a paycheck worth cashing in.

As a lease driver, I made the top performance safety list twice, but after about a month in my truck, my miles tapered off to just enough to pay my fuel and lease payments and give me about $100 for the week.

Most of the technicians and dispatchers are nice and helpful. The training/orientation process is thorough and very safety oriented. The biggest issue with this company is their lease program, because they push inexperienced drivers to lease their own truck and hang them out to dry, even if you're a runner and put that road under you all day and don't make any stops.
Like the Company but not enough money
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 7, 2016
I like driving a truck. I like see the country but it did get lonely sometimes. The equipment was new and in very good shape.
Over The Road Experience
CDL-A Truck Driver (OTR Trucking) (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSApril 7, 2016
This job is only good for people who need to get their one year of Verifiable Over The Road Experience. You haul refrigerated freight.
Pros
Automatic Transmission Trucks
Cons
Trucks break down
Steady Employment
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 16, 2016
Up early driving for long hours on end, from state to state. I learned how to be more aware of other drivers. Management was basically about the same as any other job I've had in the past.the hardest part of the job till i got use to it was backing into docks.The most enjoyable part was being out on my own, freedom.
Horrible trucking company to work for
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSFebruary 18, 2016
Bad pay,bad management,trucks catch on fire alot,put in my 2 weeks notice and the next day they fired me,very immature company
Cons
Very fast paced but I stayed busy and I loved it.
Customer Account Administrator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJanuary 27, 2016
I would be there by 6:30am and I would do a daily report to show what trucks in our regional area that were going to be late or due that day. After that I would send updates to customers about where their loads were currently. After that I went through my email and followed up from the day before or any I got overnight. And then I scheduled all appts the rest of the day. I had very good co-workers, many of them have been there awhile and were very helpful. My managers and supervisors were very nice, they were very knowledgeable when it came to the job. I would say the hardest part of the job for me was just starting out and having no clue what to do. It was a lot to learn but once I started to get the hang of it, it just clicked. The most enjoyable thing about working at TransAm was the people, I loved my coworkers. I became good friends with a few people.
Pros
Catered lunch sometimes, leniant when it came to understanding when you have sick kids or if you ill.
Cons
It is a fast paced job, at times it was hard to keep up with.
Hard Work Pays Off
Non-Driver (Current Employee) –  OlatheJanuary 15, 2016
The trucking industry is not an easy one to work in; that being said, TransAm is a great company to work for. They compensate well above industry average and management really plays a hands-on role so it always feels like you're really working on a team and not just FOR somebody.

No one is out to get anyone and if someone was fired they most certainly deserved it. There are disciplinary plans in place and policies that are followed to ensure a fair and just working environment.

The company culture is pretty casual (no dress code) and the work is demanding yet rewarding. The turnover rate for truck drivers and mechanics are naturally high no matter what company you look at.
Pros
Compensation, career growth, involved management
Cons
Only one set of mens & womens bathrooms
Great Company
Administrative (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 18, 2015
Worked for TransAm for about a year in an administrative role. The management really pushes for hard work and promotes from within- great place if you're looking to advance. The pay is well above average and the benefits package is amazing. The company is small enough that the owner calls you by name but big enough to be able to provide that ability to move forward and continue to grow within your profession.
Pros
Company size, compensation, advancement opportunities
Cons
Pink cubicles
Only thing decent was the paycheck
Porter to Trailer Technician (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 16, 2015
Coworkers were awful. You could learn a lot about mechanics if you didn't know much. Management was super lazy. The hardest part of the job was not making management upset about how long it took to do a job that actually required more than 15 minutes.
Pros
Decent break room
Cons
HR is out to get you if you screw up
Very unprofessional
driver (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSDecember 3, 2015
Dealing with dispatch and most office personnel is a joke they all sit in a cubicle next to each other and all act like they don't know what going on just blame they mistakes on the next guy or just fault the driver I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone
Pros
They will give troubled or new drivers a chance
Cons
They really are not looking out for your best interests like they claim to be
starter comapny
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 30, 2015
good starting company to work for when u have no driveing exp. they will pay for your schooling. You learn time mangment skills
Pros
get to see the country
Cons
three weeks away from home at a time
The absolute worst place to work!!!!!
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 12, 2015
Away from home 4 to 6 weeks at a time with enough money. they would mess me around on loads and keep me waiting, sometimes for days to pick up.
it was an experience
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 2, 2015
I would've still been working for this company if my license didn't get restricted due to medical issues. I was well trained by my coach for 11 days and when I went on my first run solo half way to my destination my license was suspended due to my medical card situation and was told by dmv to drive back home as they reinstated my license and restricted it for intrastate not interstate.
Pros
theyre willing to help you get experience
Cons
they push leasing to the extreme on newbies
Growing company
Warranty Manager (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 30, 2015
Transportation industry, great employees, growing everyday, decent amount of red tape and politics, likes to keep current with the trucking industry
If you have a brain, supervisors consider it a threat
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 21, 2015
More like a training company than a professional company, management creating "new" job titles to get raises, but the people on the front lines didn't get squat, management only wanted to keep people if you are a "yes" man and couldn't think for yourself, constantly revolving door on hires, thinking they can hire any fool to come in and fix complex vehicle problems, if you have talent and experience as a mechanic, find someone other than TransAm to work for
Pros
easy to get hired on
Cons
being treated like a dumba**, narcissistic management, idiot shop supervisors
Former Driver Manager
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXMay 4, 2015
If your a new driver, experienced driver or new or experienced office worker you want to take a pass on this company.

I worked in the operations department, the pay is fair and DM's can earn over $300.00 per week in bonuses. Training is also very good for this industry. The bad part of the job is that management has created a culture where those in the office are verbally abused and threatened by the OTR drivers daily. Regardless of the abuse from the drivers and the number of write ups a driver is never terminated. You see it's easier to fill that office position than the OTR driver position.

Now drivers, if you work hard you will get 2300 to 2800 miles per week. Keep clear of their "Lease Program" there is a reason why nearly 200% of those who enter it fail and leave. There is a reason why there is a class action lawsuit pending between Lease Operators and the company.

There are a lot of opportunities in the trucking industry out there so do your homework and give this one a pass.
Pros
Nice facilities, good training
Cons
Management and work enviorment
Company driver
Company driver (Current Employee) –  Olathe JsMarch 29, 2015
It's a good starter off company as a company driver a lot of people complain about the lease but they stupid for signing it in oretation they make it sound good but you weak minded you fall for the trap lol im a company driver I make 700 to 900 dollars a week which is good for just coming out of school this is not. Company to stay at its a company to get your feet wet and get that experience and get out
Pros
Good trucks exeperince good mileage
Cons
They push the lease to much bad management
Crazy and unfaithful company.
Trucking (Former Employee) –  KSJanuary 1, 2015
If you want to make a living from driving truck, please i will advice you not to consider driving for TransAM. The whole operation there is a fraud, it was never set up to help young and promising drivers to earn a living from truck driving. Although, i don't know much about company drivers but i'm sure they don't have anything good rather to say about this company. I was an owner operator with them for 6 agonizing months. I hauled for them from coast to coast in hole for most of those months. One thing they don't have is sympathy for the lives of those drivers and that of their families they are starving to death as a reason of their brutal and aggressive exploitation in TransAm's favour . There's no assured driving miles, but they lied to drivers that they will get at least 2,300miles on weekly basis that could guarantee them an attractive paycheck . It's a big lie, what they do is run you for at least 1,700miles which had automatically paid for their own part of the lease agreement with MHC, and the rest of your week will either be at IBP,TYSON or CARGILL wasting your vital driving hours waiting for loads to haul. They made you pay for the junks they attached to their trucks even when it's not useful for you. I drove my truck number 71611 under these condition for 6 months and all i got from them within these agonizing months was not up to 5,000 dollars the rest went to the expenses on the truck and the hole they deliberately made for drivers so their money could be siphoned smartly . A horrible experience i don't want to remember in my entire life again. To make the matter  more... worst, i received my W2 form from them after i had quit that i made almost 71,000 dollars during my time with them. Instead of the OTR experience i looked forward to getting hauling for them, what i got was rather never ever to trust any of these truck driving companies out there. I'm now a motor coach operator with Arrow Stage Lines, i only work for four days on the road, four days home on weekly basis with the best pay that no truck companies can ever match.  less
Pros
trucker
Cons
trucking..
OTR trucking
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 23, 2014
Went to progressive trucking school and started TransAm working driving from state to state according to federal regulations. The hardest part of this job was adjusting driving a truck going so far. The enjoyable part was that I love driving
Good equipment,health benefits coud be better,only option is OTR.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 17, 2014
Is a company with very good equipment,maintenance is good,and is good company to work if you are just out of driving school,payment is OK if you are not very experienced and weekly home time is not a option.
Pros
nice equipment.
Cons
very poor health insurance.

2.8