TransAm Trucking Employee Reviews

it was an experience
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 2, 2015
I would've still been working for this company if my license didn't get restricted due to medical issues. I was well trained by my coach for 11 days and when I went on my first run solo half way to my destination my license was suspended due to my medical card situation and was told by dmv to drive back home as they reinstated my license and restricted it for intrastate not interstate.
Pros
theyre willing to help you get experience
Cons
they push leasing to the extreme on newbies
Growing company
Warranty Manager (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 30, 2015
Transportation industry, great employees, growing everyday, decent amount of red tape and politics, likes to keep current with the trucking industry
If you have a brain, supervisors consider it a threat
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJune 21, 2015
More like a training company than a professional company, management creating "new" job titles to get raises, but the people on the front lines didn't get squat, management only wanted to keep people if you are a "yes" man and couldn't think for yourself, constantly revolving door on hires, thinking they can hire any fool to come in and fix complex vehicle problems, if you have talent and experience as a mechanic, find someone other than TransAm to work for
Pros
easy to get hired on
Cons
being treated like a dumba**, narcissistic management, idiot shop supervisors
Former Driver Manager
Driver Manager (Former Employee) –  Rockwall, TXMay 4, 2015
If your a new driver, experienced driver or new or experienced office worker you want to take a pass on this company.

I worked in the operations department, the pay is fair and DM's can earn over $300.00 per week in bonuses. Training is also very good for this industry. The bad part of the job is that management has created a culture where those in the office are verbally abused and threatened by the OTR drivers daily. Regardless of the abuse from the drivers and the number of write ups a driver is never terminated. You see it's easier to fill that office position than the OTR driver position.

Now drivers, if you work hard you will get 2300 to 2800 miles per week. Keep clear of their "Lease Program" there is a reason why nearly 200% of those who enter it fail and leave. There is a reason why there is a class action lawsuit pending between Lease Operators and the company.

There are a lot of opportunities in the trucking industry out there so do your homework and give this one a pass.
Pros
Nice facilities, good training
Cons
Management and work enviorment
Company driver
Company driver (Current Employee) –  Olathe JsMarch 29, 2015
It's a good starter off company as a company driver a lot of people complain about the lease but they stupid for signing it in oretation they make it sound good but you weak minded you fall for the trap lol im a company driver I make 700 to 900 dollars a week which is good for just coming out of school this is not. Company to stay at its a company to get your feet wet and get that experience and get out
Pros
Good trucks exeperince good mileage
Cons
They push the lease to much bad management
Crazy and unfaithful company.
Trucking (Former Employee) –  KSJanuary 1, 2015
If you want to make a living from driving truck, please i will advice you not to consider driving for TransAM. The whole operation there is a fraud, it was never set up to help young and promising drivers to earn a living from truck driving. Although, i don't know much about company drivers but i'm sure they don't have anything good rather to say about this company. I was an owner operator with them for 6 agonizing months. I hauled for them from coast to coast in hole for most of those months. One thing they don't have is sympathy for the lives of those drivers and that of their families they are starving to death as a reason of their brutal and aggressive exploitation in TransAm's favour . There's no assured driving miles, but they lied to drivers that they will get at least 2,300miles on weekly basis that could guarantee them an attractive paycheck . It's a big lie, what they do is run you for at least 1,700miles which had automatically paid for their own part of the lease agreement with MHC, and the rest of your week will either be at IBP,TYSON or CARGILL wasting your vital driving hours waiting for loads to haul. They made you pay for the junks they attached to their trucks even when it's not useful for you. I drove my truck number 71611 under these condition for 6 months and all i got from them within these agonizing months was not up to 5,000 dollars the rest went to the expenses on the truck and the hole they deliberately made for drivers so their money could be siphoned smartly . A horrible experience i don't want to remember in my entire life again. To make the matter  more... worst, i received my W2 form from them after i had quit that i made almost 71,000 dollars during my time with them. Instead of the OTR experience i looked forward to getting hauling for them, what i got was rather never ever to trust any of these truck driving companies out there. I'm now a motor coach operator with Arrow Stage Lines, i only work for four days on the road, four days home on weekly basis with the best pay that no truck companies can ever match.  less
Pros
trucker
Cons
trucking..
OTR trucking
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSNovember 23, 2014
Went to progressive trucking school and started TransAm working driving from state to state according to federal regulations. The hardest part of this job was adjusting driving a truck going so far. The enjoyable part was that I love driving
Good equipment,health benefits coud be better,only option is OTR.
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 17, 2014
Is a company with very good equipment,maintenance is good,and is good company to work if you are just out of driving school,payment is OK if you are not very experienced and weekly home time is not a option.
Pros
nice equipment.
Cons
very poor health insurance.
Great Place To Work !
Professional Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSOctober 9, 2014
TransAm Trucking is a pretty good place to work, the only down side is I don't like to be watched on a webcam everyday.
roten place to work,less than minume wage,gone forever,lots of north east,big time liers.
otr truck driver i thought (Former Employee) –  eastern u.s.September 26, 2014
i worked for transam for three months as a company driver.i've never been so fed up in my life.i had to take loads that the lease guys did'nt want,bad loads,short hauls,citys all the time.they will make you thinking there a good company,try these people and see how bad you get it.there lease program is a joke just like the rest of the company.hold on you mite be next.
Pros
fair trucks
Cons
gutless trucks with automatics, junk trailers, know miles or money, every where theres a city envolved.
no miles
Lease Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSSeptember 5, 2014
worked for them for two months and when i left was over a $1000 in the hole
Hardworkers and good people
Porter (Current Employee) –  Olathe, KSAugust 12, 2014
After clocking in I check the trailer lot, go on parts runs, and dump the trash or scrap metals. When all my duties are caught up I assist others with tires, alignments, or anything else that needs assistance.
Only agree to a lease with this company if you want to make no money
lease operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSJuly 23, 2014
Orientation wasn't too bad, but once they start telling you about the lease program, I wouldn't even consider listening to it because it's nothing but a load of junk. I was told that I would make more than a company driver easily, week after week. Well that's a lie. You're probably never going to make more than a company driver.....EVER!!!! All this talk about making around 1000 a week is nothing but a lie unless maybe you're a trainer and can keep that truck moving all the time but if you're a solo lease operator, you'll either make next to nothing or you'll end up deep in the hole. Trans am makes all these empty promises about if you ever have any problems, contact so and so from safety and we'll get you back on track. Uhh, how many times did Itry calling and never got any real help? More than I can count. Then they say there's this part in the contract where you can quit at any point and not owe anything else on the truck. Yeah true, but good luck trying to get them off your back about staying on the lease and sending you to a yard to drop the truck off. I gave them my 2 weeks and they got me to the Kansas yard within a week for a relay, and after I dropped the loaded trailer, I grabbed all my stuff and went inside and said I was done, and then they say, oh you still have a week left of your two weeks. I just told them I'm not taking any other loads and turned in everything I had to turn in and walked out. If you want to make money as a truck driver, please don't sign a lease with this company, you'll regret it for the rest of your life.
Pros
uhh......nothing
Cons
lease program is a complete joke
Not a good experience
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KansasJuly 9, 2014
Very high turn over rate, A lot of lies, many getting their hopes of making money and actually don't succeed.
Pros
very good training
Cons
no truth
this company lied from the beginning and when i caught on i was treated like complete filth
driver (Former Employee) –  olathe kansasJuly 5, 2014
I worked for the company for two months and at least a week as a lease operator from the beginning I was told that I would make great money and if there were any problems I would have all the help needed at any hour of the day and that I would get 3000 miles per week cause I'm a lease operator being that they took 1700 miles off the top to pay for the truck 1428.00 dollars then .05 cents for mileage and that was off the total amount of miles so at 2700 miles it would come out to 135.00 dollars additional to the 1428.00 and it doesn't end there whatever fuel you use gets deducted from your pay mind you ,you're getting paid pc Miller which I was told were actual miles and aren't so if you get for instance 750 mile run you are actually driving 788 and are only getting paid for the 750 and you just lost 38 miles of pay and you came out your pocket for fuel on 38 additional miles that you had to drive to get to your unload destination and this goes on with all empty runs and loaded runs as well so the additional miles you drive to pick up and unload your loads add up and definitely uses fuel but you don't get compensated for the additional miles driven instead you get more money deducted from your pay and the excuse is you went over on fuel well I noticed this company designed this to make sure all employees go over on fuel so they can benefit from you and make money while you make nothing I was told I should get at least 700-800 weekly but have only been making 200-350 per week this company makes money off of all their clients and the employees and that's wrong they don't give you  more... any help at all and talk to you as if you were nobody there is more but I'm sure I'll put you to sleep explaining it ,I'm currently in the process of taking legal action against the company for many reasons . NOTE:if you get them posses you will not get the mileage you want instead you'll get proper f***** and if you tell them you're gonna give them your two weeks notice you will be stuck wherever your at and forced to abandon your truck ,you have to make it home so you won't remain there and that's when they try and hit you with abandonment a little advice don't work for this company they are liars and crooks and don't care about their employees and the training team there are designed to suck you in with their lies don't lease don't do company go with a different company where you can make money ......  less
Pros
traveling
Cons
making no money, being lied to, and cheated and having a headache, stressing being late on bills, and rent etc
If they offer you a job, RUN!
Lease Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KS & Rockwall, TXJune 2, 2014
Worst place I've ever worked. Everything they told me turned out to be lies. They gave me 5 days training with a trainer that slept all the time (no training) and sent me out in a blizzard after that to the NE US. I drove 7 days a week, 10-11 hrs. a day and my paychecks ranged from $60 to $250 per week. Some weeks I owed them money for the privilege of driving for them. If you insist on taking a day off, they'll make sure you make NO money for the next 2 weeks. If you try to give a notice they will keep you far from home and cut off your fuel card so you can't get back, forcing you to abandon your truck, so you won't be able to get another trucking job. These people are the lowest scum of the earth and should be jailed for ruining people's lives. They care about NOBODY but themselves. They have dozens of lawsuits pending, but that doesn't stop them, because they just hire new people every week and use them until they leave & then start over. They hire at least 60-80 people a week and lose just as many. They have an average of 20 or more trucks abandoned every week all over the US by drivers that can't make a living and can't get fuel to go back & turn their trucks in. After TransAm gets their trucks back they sue the drivers for the expenses & ruin their credit. It ought to be against the law.
Pros
new trucks (that cost you your life)
Cons
everthing !
Not a bad place to work
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 29, 2014
Not a bad place to work if your looking for otr.. im looking for more hometime that's the only reason why I left
Overall the job was a good place to work.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMay 22, 2014
Answering the telephone, electronic filing of all the work orders and parts requisitions, Data entry on all of the work orders, Input new vehicle and new trailer information into the system. Verifying the VIN numbers on all the new vehicles. Making sure that all the parts and work preformed on the vehicles and trailers were in the system. Assisted at the parts window when needed. Assisted at the Truck and Trailer shop windows when needed and assigning work to the mechanics, checking on how long the job would take and assigning jobs to certain mechanics that needed to be done asap when needed. Making up reports for the shop foreman when needed. Working side by side with the Shop Foreman. Making spreadsheets and researching paper work on vehicles.
Management were very busy people, they did not have a lot of time to deal with questions.
Co-workers were the mechanics that I worked with, every one was helpful on paperwork when I needed to ask questions about jobs performed.
Hardest part of the job? It was a good job and every day was a learning experience. So you can make a job as hard as you make it, I chose not to make it hard.
The most enjoyable part of the job? Working with a lot of different people and Data entry, ( I love to type). Setting up the annual Drivers appreciation days every year.
Pros
working with a lot of people, staying very busy
Cons
angry grumpy drivers that do not want to listen.
Great place to work.
Owner/Operator (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 10, 2014
Great place to work staff always very helpful. Admistrative Staff always there to assist. 24 hour computer log in.
Pros
a new truck to drive.
Cons
to much driving on the northern end blizzards.
maybe a good job for someone depends on the person
Lease Contractor Commercial Driver (Former Employee) –  Olathe, KSMarch 5, 2014
i would say its a typical trucking company maybe it would be good to research the company to see if the company suit the driver
Pros
lease opertunity or company driver
Cons
mostly operating in north an eastern areas

2.7