Transocean Employee Reviews

Too big, you're just a warm body in a pair of boots
ROUSTABOUT (Former Employee) –  GOMJune 23, 2017
They were ok to work for, paid the bills. The guys offshore were fun to work with, made a few friends. The onshore personnel pretty much kept themselves separated from the offshore personnel, usually felt like it was an inconvenience for them to have to answer the phone to provide information to employees.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Majority of the management didn't to care about the employees, with some exceptions
for the most overall good company to work for
assitant driller (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 31, 2017
transocean was a really good company to work for. They had good equipment and all the right tools to get the job done safe. Had some of the best rigs in industry.
Motorman (mechanic) (Former Employee) –  Lagos, GUMay 13, 2017
The best part i like at work, Is when we always have the hardest part off the job that we require both the supervisor and the chief mechanic on board.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Short brakes
Great Work places
Roustabout (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 17, 2017
Great Sallary, and good time off as well as a good career opportunities
Being on a 21 on 21 off roster the job gives good work to home balance.
The employer values safety as its highest priority which makes for peace of mind when being at work. The good things
Begin part of a team which you could call your family as you spend half of the year working together.
The challenges
Making sure that your part in the production and drilling for oil/gas is carried out safely and that each of your work mates can depend on you to do your best.
I really liked this company
Senior CAD Designer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 5, 2017
I worked for Transocean for about 8 years. We never really recovered from Deepwater Horizon and I was apart of the group that got weeded out when layoffs came around. This was the best company I've worked for. The hours were great, the benefits were amazing, and we had many company orientated events. I was in great here but things change, that's life.
Pros
Great company environment
Cons
layoffs
Very good place to work.
Assistant Driller (Former Employee) –  AfricaApril 4, 2017
Co workers are willing to help you advance and show you the proper way to do the job and the safe way to perform it. It has a very high standard for safety.
exciting
Off-Shore Drilling Roughneck/Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 29, 2017
Transocean is a good place to work with pretty good pay. It has lots of room for advancement. They take care of their employees and have very descent incentives.
Fun work place
Ingrident technician (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAMarch 28, 2017
As a employee there it was harsh working 12 hours a day for 6 days but when I was working it was a fu. Environment to be around what made it better was the group of people that I worked with
Pros
Prizes and free pizza
Decent
Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 27, 2017
Company is a decent company to work for. Though over the past year or so the company seems to be headed in the wrong direction by implementing policies and practices that have failed in the past. Office management has lost touch with what life on the deck plates is like. Crews were generally good and knowledgeable people normally.
Pros
People on rigs were usually a joy to work with.
Cons
Management in office has become less and less supportive to employee.
Not Bad
Chief Electronics Technician (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 19, 2017
Great place to work and the separation of work to home life ratio was good. Benefits were standard. Company is very dynamic and Safety is the top priority.

Want to know more about Transocean?

Ask a question
Loved working offshore
Radio Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 11, 2017
I worked with some great people and the best rig. Had great benefits. The Supervisorswere co-operative. As a Transocean employee and in the office. I enjoyed the schedule working offshore.
Benefits
Cons
Ability to make decisions
Very serious issues with negligence in the department of safety
Roustabout (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
Transocean needs substantial improvement in regards to employee safety and environmental impact, on this I would reference their culpability in the Deepwater Horizon Disaster.
Great Benefits, OK Job
Project Planning Engineer (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 27, 2017
The job as Project Engineer was, at first very challenging and impactful. You would interface with operations and vendors to plan significant jobs from $100K to $200Million dollars. Your efforts directly impacted the success of the Project. However, in the current downturn, the job description and supervisors/directors changed every 6 months and became less challenging and less clear. At the end it was nearly a relief to be laid off in one of the many rounds of layoffs to occur over my tenure.
I would consider working for them again depending on the circumstances and job description at the time, but it would be unlikely I think.
Pros
Good salary and generous benefits
Cons
Constantly changing job description. Poor management decision making.
Down Market, many cuts being made
Crane Operator (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Poor moral due to heavy job cuts and demotions, along with fewer benefits. Reduced workforce with increased workload for personnel. Potential to be a good company to work for again but will need the market and investors to return.
Pros
Free food, cleaning services
Cons
Time away, poor internet access
Good company to work for most of the employees are well trained and follow the policies and procedures.
Electrical / Electronic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TX 77084January 8, 2017
Talk to coworkers and team members to see how all is going. Talk about safety in the work place. Use proper policies and procedures. This is a priority, no one is allowed to take short cuts. Maintain a good communication with your team. All individuals can have a bad day, it is important to understand how all employees are responding to the morning meeting.
Industrious Work Environment
Lead Roustabout/ Assistant Crane operator (Former Employee) –  Gulf of MexicoDecember 30, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company and their benefits. Since I was in management, it was somewhat stressful at times. But, overall, I had a productive experience working here.
Overall Good Comoany
Human Resources Representative (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 20, 2016
Good company overall with fair pair structure and good benefits. New Leadership with good outlook on future of the company. Work schedules are flexible.
If you are a hard worker, this is a great place to work.
Subsea Engineering Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 15, 2016
Excellent job and great responsibilities; advancement was great as well. The pay is top-notch and the people all genuinely care about the safety and culture of the company. The only downfalls are the time away from your family and home. The oilfield is a great place to work, but it is very difficult to stay employed during industry down-turns.
Pros
Pay, experience, and friendships that were made.
Cons
Work-life balance, hours, and stability.
Fair Company
Electrical/Electronic Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indonesia, South KoreaNovember 14, 2016
I worked for Transocean for nine years, and they have little loyalty to their employees. Family is important, and they believe they are family. Market has had a large impact on their management decisions.
Loved working for the team and company was cool
Senior Administrator, Tech Field Support (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 20, 2016
My review focuses mainly on my team, we were not traditional in any sense and while it was always attempted to dismantle our group - we had some of the best of the best engineers and superintendents. Despite my subsequent lay off due to the decline in the market - this was the best team and group I have ever worked for. People were clear in their requests, they worked hard and valued their team. I enjoyed giving my all to this group.
Pros
The People
Cons
New Leadership looking at people as headcount not people

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Transocean. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2