Transport America Employee Reviews in United States

Great Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMarch 31, 2016
TA is a very transparent company that treats their employees well. The CEO is wonderful, the whole company has a great open door policy.

There is favoritism among management and there is not much room for advancement within the company.
Management is always right
Shell Oil Shuttle Driver (Former Employee) –  North Jackson, OHAugust 22, 2016
Pay and dispatchers are pretty good but that's it at this company. Dont't work weekends because they'll "forget" to pay you and then when then do they dont end up paying you the 6th day. Safety is a complete joke. You are always at fault even when you have video showing that there was nothing you can do. Then they fire you out of the blue and make up lies about you so you can't receive unemployment. This company is a complete joke
Cons
Excellent company to drive/work for.
Professional Driver/ Local (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAJune 10, 2015
During my time at Transport America I have had 0 complaints. this company takes care of its work force. I would definitely work for this company again. I'm fairly certain they would re-hire me as well.

During my time there I transported many goods to and from shippers and their customers. successfully and in a timely manner i might add. the people I worked with were friendly knowledgeable and always made sure to help each other out.

Management was great they always made sure I had what I needed to do my job properly and safely. The hardest part about my job was learning to drive more safely and kick old unsafe driving habits. I can actually say I am an excellent a safe driver because of them.
Pros
great benefits, excellent team work, self driven work.
Cons
It's a driving job so there is the danger of other drivers.
good mileage & advance on pay per mile
Company Driver (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 22, 2016
I worked over 4 yrs there made good money. need dispatchers who have more touch with how things are out on the roads. Needed paid holidays . I think all upper ladder folks need to experience otr time
Pros
good mileage
Cons
no paid holidays
Do not work here
Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNJune 16, 2016
worse than jail your a number not a person. managment is rude and the only way they got there is by ******************** this place had the biggest office personell turn around than any other company I have ever seen. it was a revolving door.
Pros
alot of overtime
Cons
everything
Good Company
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  North Jackson, OHAugust 7, 2016
Good company but my medical history eliminated me being able to drive truck. Probably a mid-life crisis anyway. But they treated me very well.
Pros
See the country
Cons
Health issues prevent me from being fully effective
It's all about what YOU make of it
FLEET MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNsNovember 4, 2015
Fun work environment with great people! Made long term friends with co-workers and enjoyed my first manager.

the hardest part of this job was the volume of phone calls and emails.

the best part of this job was working with friends and being able to work in the transportation industry.

Be careful! Management is always looking out for #1 no matter who it affects, and what you sign up for can be changed in a heart beat.
Pros
healthcare, and beneifits.
Cons
BIG COMPANY
Fun work place
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  EagJune 28, 2016
Good place to start if looking to learn about customer service.
Great people and management.
Fast pace
Everyone willing to help
Pros
Great people, fast pace
Cons
Lack for advancement, under paid.
Great company to work for; Good pay and benefits
Heavy Truck Mechanic (Former Employee) –  North Liberty, IAMay 13, 2016
Perform maintenance on heavy trucks on a daily basis. The job was challenging and the company great to work for. Enjoyed contact with drivers and knowing that I did the right the first time.
Pros
Great work environment
Great company to work for!
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2016
Great company to work for. They do what they say they are going to do. Very understanding and care about their drivers.
Transport America-awesome workplace
Planner (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALFebruary 29, 2016
Great company to work for. I am very blessed to have found them and looking forward to greatness with them. Manager is very understanding and challenges your skills everyday to make you a stronger asset to the company.
Overal
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Joliet, ILApril 16, 2016
There a decent company but the management is very bad. The money is good if your wheels constantly turn and have good loading planning.
Pros
New equipment
Cons
Low miles and money
54,000 a year and home weekly,
OTR,Regional and Dedicated Driver (Former Employee) –  Grove City, OHAugust 26, 2014
A typical day at Transport America was an adventure; this job is not for the faint hearted, Route planning and schedules are very tight. Learning how to overcome this adversity I have found to be very rewarding both in compensation and longevity. I learned that I get what I put into the effort back. Management, though very demanding, is also very rewarding. The co-workers were a professional group of drivers. the hardest part of the job is going undesirable places and keeping the schedule running cop hysteric. The most enjoyable part of the job is being a part of a great big transportation initiative.
Pros
great compensation
Cons
home weekly greatly depends on the drivers ability to keep up.
A little bit on the unfair side if you ask me
Regional Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNDecember 15, 2015
Below average equipement

erratic schedule

fair pay

consistent time / cash advance

unreliable on the whole

maybe good for some people
Productive and Proffesional
EMT-B (Current Employee) –  Bonaire, GADecember 1, 2015
Enjoy Company Atmosphere and Employees companionship.

Family Oriented.
Safety Environment.
Need help in communication areas.
Pros
Postive and encouraging staff members.
Cons
Commuting back and forth.
Company dedicated to service and genuinely cares about employees.
Professional Driver / Driver Instructor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHApril 28, 2015
This is definitely one of the better companies in the industry! The management style is a more modern approach that is very open to driver and employee feedback and ideas. Equipment is newer and company is dedicated to safety! There are several options as a driver to accommodate your lifestyle and needs. Pay isn't exactly the highest in the industry but isn't bad. Especially if you consider the other investments they put into the employees. For example, performance bonuses, new equipment, health/wellness fairs, and Driver appreciation events. Most of the problems you could face here are industry-wide issues that you will find anywhere you go. Such as, freight slowdowns during non peak seasons. By no means is the company perfect but what makes them better than most is they honestly care about your issues and when brought to them in a professional manner, they will work on a solution. I couldn't think of a greater company for a fresh CDL holder to start at.
Pros
Nice Equipment, Decent Pay, Hometime, Employee Centered, Safety
Cons
Dispatch is under staffed, unknowledgable extended coverage, Maintenance Shop issues
Average company to drive for
Driver (Current Employee) –  Eagan, MNNovember 7, 2015
Company is average to drive for, nothing special, nothing bad. The only ting different about the company is the name on the door.
Pros
constant work
Cons
does not pay for any down time, drop and hook, etc
Didn't effectively utilize their team drivers.
Driver (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNSeptember 18, 2015
They have pretty good trucks, but their facilities didn't have very good accommodations for the drivers during down-time. As a team driver I felt they had us do too many solo driver runs instead of giving us longer runs to better utilize their assets.
An excellent place to work if you don't ever get injured.
Driver (regional) (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNApril 10, 2014
A typical day was smooth & easy. Wake up early, log in, pre-trip, trip-plan, get rolling, most pick-up & deliveries were simple especially for regular customer locations. Lot's of no-touch freight, high % of drop & hook, lots of relay loads. Management was decent on the terminal level, corporate now that a horse of a different color. The hardest part of the job was low pay for hazmat loads/ getting propane for heater trailers. Most enjoyable, almost everything. If I had not gotten injured would've liked to have retired from this company.
Pros
work family, equipment, standards, training, stability, home time
Cons
corporate management a_sh_les!
No miles
OTR-Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Eagan, MNAugust 11, 2015
NO MILES, Insurance premiums expensive based on NO MILES....FAVORTISM....Bad nasty trucks.....terrible DISPATCHERS....One of the worst Ive worked for. No safety or mileage bonus. Strait pay and half pay when they run you for hours to get an empty or bobtail to get loaded. Terrible planners.
Pros
its a job