Transport America

Transport America Employer Reviews

Sysadmin @ JCL
Truck Driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNJune 3, 2014
The people and atmosphere there is wonderful. I have no complaints. I had to move on because I didn't make enough money.
Review Summary
Diesel Mechanic (Current Employee), Kansas City, MOMay 3, 2014
Diagnose, troubleshoot and repair electrical and mechanical systems to maintain efficiency of Freightliner and Kenworth diesel engines.
good people.
Semi Truck Driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNApril 19, 2014
Pros: you can make good money if you want to stay on the road.
Cons: on the road alot home once a week
working for this company, you have good people that try to help you any way they can,they have good benefits. they good trucks.they have good miles if you like to make a lot of them.
An excellent place to work if you don't ever get injured.
Driver (regional) (Former Employee), Eagan, MNApril 10, 2014
Pros: work family, equipment, standards, training, stability, home time
Cons: corporate management a_sh_les!
A typical day was smooth & easy. Wake up early, log in, pre-trip, trip-plan, get rolling, most pick-up & deliveries were simple especially for regular customer locations. Lot's of no-touch freight, high % of drop & hook, lots of relay loads. Management was decent on the terminal level, corporate now that a horse of a different color. The hardest part – more... of the job was low pay for hazmat loads/ getting propane for heater trailers. Most enjoyable, almost everything. If I had not gotten injured would've liked to have retired from this company. – less
this is a good company
Southeast Regional Driver (Current Employee), atlanta,gaApril 3, 2014
This is a good company, they just dont have any local positions available.
Good company to work for.
Diesel Technician (Current Employee), North Liberty, IAMarch 20, 2014
Pros: steady work, variety of work, hours.
Cons: need more training, better communication, shop.
I like working here at this location. Monday through Friday 7-5 and weekends off. There is a after hours on-call. Good place to learn if your starting off. May even stay working there. It is a small company but a healthy one too. Try it out and give it a shot. But not everything is for everyone.
A great company to work for.
Safety Manager (Former Employee), Eagan, MNMarch 9, 2014
Pros: a place to grow
Cons: moved to pa
Fast paced, always learning, working with the drivers and teaching was enjoyable. Increasing safety rating due to log program was a bonus.
TA does their best to accomodate drivers' home needs
Over the road driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: seeing different parts of the country
Cons: time away from home
Life as an over the road driver can be financially rewarding IF the driver is willing to dedicate themselves to their craft. Unfortunately, this takes a toll on the home or private life. TA is VERY aware of this fact and does whatever needs to be done to ensure that the driver's home time is rewarding and peaceful.
Company very service oriented.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 15, 2014
Pros: fare pay
Cons: not able to control everything!
Reviewing and responding to e-mail and voice mail messages received after close of business. Run port report to confirm import containers' availability. Contact terminal manager and fleet leaders for drivers' status. Contact customers with updates and enter information to load notes, as needed. Get driver availability update for next few days and schedule – more... loads to utilize all drivers and maximize use of equipment.
VP and directors available to assist when needed. VP offered industry reports, updates and encouraged team to further our knowledge of the freight transportation climate. Team members support was a constant. Each asking if help needed with making calls, entering data or faxing.
Hardest part of the job, advising a customer of a service failure.
Most enjoyable, having a great team to work with. – less
Got to spend time with spouse
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNJanuary 4, 2014
Worked 3 weeks straight with 3 days off. Company worked with my spouse and I to become a good team as truck drivers. I got to travel with spouse.
Over a good company, needs improvement
Regional CDL Driver (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 15, 2013
Pros: home weekly
Cons: less pay
Need to give drivers better miles, better night dispatch and load plans are almost impossible to make running safely.
advanced my career
Office Manager (Former Employee), Bonaire, GAOctober 17, 2013
I enjoyed all my co workers and being able to be a team player to build and open a new company.
The goal is to deliver excellence in all that they do
Fuel and Maintenance Analyst (Former Employee), Eagan, MNSeptember 2, 2013
A great place where team work and self empowerment combine to make a great company to work for.
productive and a okay work place
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNAugust 19, 2013
the hardest part was getting home, my co-workers was great they was all about getting the job done.
No room for advancement
Driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNAugust 17, 2013
Pros: no one to manage your route and daily duties.
Cons: the pay should have better.
This company needs better management and better dispatchers. There are issues when home time is requested.
Not a bad place to work if you dont mind being away from home
Truck Driver (Current Employee), Eagan, MNAugust 16, 2013
the c.p.m. isn't the greatest and neither is the home time. They are willing to work with you though. Its a good place to start out and get some experience.
Best part-time job I've ever had.
Service Center Assistant (Current Employee), Janesville, WIAugust 11, 2013
Pros: i enjoy meeting new truck drivers each shift i work and talking to those i know well periodically.
Cons: no breaks.
On a typical day at work I keep yard security and only allow those authorized by Transport America to enter the gate. Each truck and trailer in our yard is kept track of both on paper and in the computer using Excel and Trancom.

I have learned a lot about the trucking industry through my job.

Management is only a phone call away and is always helpful – more... if I need a question answered. I am the only employee working inside the terminal during my shift on Saturday and Sunday, so I am in charge of a lot.

My co-workers that I have contact with before and after my shift are very friendly and we get along well. I also enjoy the Transport America employees that I have met through contacting other terminals across the U.S.

The hardest part of the job is when a driver needs assistance and I am not able to be of help.

The most enjoyable part of my job is knowing that I can make a difference in someone's day by talking to them and being friendly. Truck drivers are very lonely and appreciate the small talk and I do too. – less
Chaotic & lack of interoffice communication
Intermodal Fleet Leader (Former Employee), Portsmouth, VAJune 1, 2013
Pros: hour lunch break, tuition reimbursement program, casual business
Typical day would be confirm drivers are on time for appointments, address any issues, check ports for LFD containers, delivery orders are receive with required documentation, driver's pay & all other charges are correct, dispatch all moves on the board for the next day and confirm all delivery orders are in drivers folders.......there's much more and – more... plenty of work to full your day.
The hardest part of the job was not to duplicate work because of the lack of communication from co-workers.
The most enjoyable part of the job was customers satisfied with service, company didn't lose any money, and every driver that wanted to work had work. – less
OTR Company Driver
Company Driver (Former Employee), Eagan, MNMay 28, 2013
Although I did enjoy working here, I wasn't happy with the amount of home time that I was allowed.
Transport America has good core values
Company truck driver (Current Employee), Eagan, MNMay 19, 2013
A job is what you make it. If you look for bad that's all you'll find. You have to bring positive to receive it.