Transportation Security Administration

Transportation Security Administration Employee Reviews in United States

Wonderful mission with a very low morale
Transportation Security Officer/Asst Training Inst (Current Employee) –  North Canton, OHFebruary 27, 2016
Working for the government is a difficult task. I love what I do. I learned a lot that can be used in every day life. With that being said, I am ready for a career change where I can make a difference.
non-stop
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 11, 2015
Inform passengers of the rules and regulations to help them through the screening process quickly and less stressfully. Confidently interact with agitated passengers with a calm and professional voice.
Pros
Benefits, job security
Cons
dealing with passengers and fighting complacency
Inconsistent leadership. Unrealistic expectations, low accountability and poor training.
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAApril 2, 2015
Start at 0130, end at 1130, tough work life balance, learned good technical skills from the regional office. Enhanced my conflict resolution skills, leadership for unmotivated workers and applied invilvement for advancement of the agency.

Management was more dictorial than looking to create an environment of commeraderie and results. All responsibility would be on Supervisors and Leads with little back up from management for improvments.

I enjoyed growing and motivating Officers in Screening, creating public trust, job knowledge skills, critical thinking, oral communication and interpersonal skills.
Benefits
Cons
Hours (0130-1130), overworked, unrealistic expectations, lack of accountability, inconsistencies
Great People, Poor Upper Management
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee) –  TXJune 7, 2016
I have, for the most part enjoyed working at TSA and believe that the bad rep TSA gets is not because of the common workforce, but from poor upper management, communication, and decision making. It also feels like they are willing to sacrifice security for speeding up the lines. I understand people need to get where they need to be. If it is a problem processing passengers quickly and EFFICIENTLY, then please hire more employees.
Pros
Pay, Benefits, Co workers
Cons
Upper management, security aspect, monotonous
RUN! Dont even think of working for TSA
Lead TSO (Current Employee) –  Saginaw MichJuly 27, 2015
They will gut your spirit and rip your heart and soul out and then burn them. After thats all over they will look you in the eye and thank you for doing a great job and tell you how important your job is.Their saying is " if you see something say something" good luck with that! that will only get you in big trouble.
The mission is very important but their means of achieving it is done thru destroying the workers state of mind and self confidence. Raises? Huh! TSA will spend millions to see to it that the TSOs dont get a penny. I look back to the old days when there was a least low moral, now there is no moral.
Other then those issues its a great place to work......
Pros
free parking
Cons
daily moral killing beat downs
Not good for advancing career
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 16, 2015
The work is boring and repetitive, you don't receive any type of training that will do you any good outside of that place. Management is a joke, they will pick favorites and promote who they want to promote "friends". This place is a revolving door with people leaving by the dozens every month.
Pros
The pay and the benefits are above average
Cons
Everything else!
Bottom of the Government ladder
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 4, 2015
That about sums it up.
In my opinion I would rank TSA one rung up from IRS.

My experience soured the longer I stayed there. I saw changes in management 3 times, political gameswere played during promotions and injuries that were not dealt with ethically.

The main environment was negative I would not recommend.
Pros
Government benefits
Cons
environment, politics when it came to promotions. lip service from upper management
Passenger screener
Transportation Security Screener Advocate (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 17, 2016
Top-performing customer service agent with several years solid track record. exceptional services to passengers, from being a ticket counter agent all the way to boarding passengers to their seats, to and from their destination. Well-versed in carrying out preflight and flight boarding checks throughout the preflight process to ensure constant passenger service. Participated and attended meetings where confidentiality was required.
Pros
Meet hundreds of new people
Cons
Had to physically screen passengers
Stressfull
Acting Lead Transportation Security Screener (Former Employee) –  SECURITY OFFICERSeptember 18, 2015
Did not enjoy working there just a job no chance for advancement Management was ok some were fair others were jerks. IF NOT IN THE CLICK YOU WERE ON YOUR OWN.
Pros
NONE
Cons
All Politics
Great Part-time Job To Have
Lead Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Albany, GAApril 27, 2016
I enjoyed most of my time working for TSA. I even got promoted in less than 2 years. Some airports however, have low flight loads, and can only work you part-time. For full-time opportunities however, you have to be willing to relocate...sometimes even to different states.
Pros
Great pay, great benefits, and a great work experence depending on which airport you work at.
Cons
Part-time restrictions due to lack of work at smaller airports. have to be willing to uproot, and/or relocate in order to advance sometimes.
It's very busy
Behavior Detection and Analysis (Current Employee) –  Coppell, TXSeptember 13, 2015
It's a good job and there is plenty of positions but long hours. It's not a bad company and they have good benefits. I would probably look at making more of your way up the latter in management if you stay.
Good vans to drive.
Security Officer (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  Pasco, WAJuly 24, 2016
My day would very often start with a 6:00 AM pick-up and run to west side for medical appointment. Then pick up patient in afternoon to bring back to their home. Often we would cover for The Dalles and run all day in that area. Then come back home.The management and co-workers were good to work with.The hardest part was wheel chair people. The best part was meeting all the good people I transported.
Pros
Vacation was good
Cons
The schedule could change a lot during the day.
A very important place to learn and polish customer services skills
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYJuly 10, 2016
Very interesting place to interact with different cultures and important place to learn about different travelers personalities. It was a place where you could learn different techniques to detect hazardous elements in passengers baggage and on passengers bodies.
Pros
opportunity to learn use of different detection machines, like x rays, body scanners .
Cons
no fair consideration for advancement in career.
Airport Security and Scanner
Screener (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJanuary 3, 2016
Providing security to all airlines. Scanning all passengers. Checking all baggage. Using an Xray machine, bomb detection, hand held metal detection, and often a hands on physical search. Using physical walk through metal detection; physically searching the area that alarms. Preforming strip search when required.
Pros
Job was great, benefits, pay, and opportunities
Cons
Hours were reduced after the 9/11 threat
productive and great learning experience
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee) –  Jf Kennedy Ap, NYJune 16, 2016
It is a interesting and great work environment just by dealing with so many different cultures and ethical backgrounds. I learn new things and even sometimes different words from different languages. Coming to work and leaving work everyday and knowing that me and all fellow TSA workers done they job to prevent any bad things from happening make me love the job even more.
Pros
promotions
Cons
short breaks
A place to work, but not for a paycheck
Master Behavior Detection Officer (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZNovember 8, 2015
My Overall review, I have never worked for a better class of people. I meet people from all walks of life. You see TSA is not a job if you just want a paycheck, If you do then you are unfocused and thats when mistakes happen and people get put in potential danger. You have to go into that job with a purpose a reason. Safe gaurding the public on all moods of transportaion, should always be the main reason, not a paycheck.
Pros
:Protection the travling public
Cons
Miss appointed personnel in the wrong positions of management. Hiring the wrong people for the job.
i should have left years ago
Transportation Secutity Officer. TSO (Former Employee) –  Reagan National AiroirtJuly 24, 2016
This front line people are treated with no respect from the public or from their management. After 9 years I lost my job for 'failing' annual test. The was the best thing that happened in a long time. The job will take the life out of you. A culture of promoting from a pool of incompetence
Pros
Transit benefits cost of living adjustments
Cons
The job is just hollow and draining . No annual raises no support from management
Worst job EVER
TSO (Former Employee) –  New MexicoJune 18, 2015
Run the other way, I worked here for 5 years and the only reason I lasted that long was to get vested. Sure the pay is good, but after you get your one raise after you're off probation, that's it, no more raises. It is very mismanaged, and favoritism runs rampant. There are people who are your managers or supervisors that have no idea how to handle people. Most of us had the idea that this was a way to get your foot in the door to maybe transfer to another government job, forget it. The TSA is the black hole of US Government jobs, once there you are stuck. You cannot get time off, because you pick your vacation 1 year in advance, so if something comes up during the year, you might as well forget it. In my opinion, unless you are desperate for a job to steer clear of this one.
Pros
Cons
mismanaged
Security Officer
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAApril 19, 2016
A typical day was very demanding. We work long hours and stand for the majority of them.
We learned on a daily basis to be very vigilant. Constant change in standard operating procedures.
Management and my co workers for the most part were team players.
Making sure the traveling public is safe from dangerous objects and people was the most difficult part of the job. It was also the most rewarding part of the job.
Pros
Union
Cons
Shortage on Female Officers
Bottom of the Barrel Place to Work
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTJune 26, 2015
Team building and training is more effective than multiple test taking that threatens job security. In these environments employee morale is greatly effected negatively.

How can you feel good about going to work everyday when it has been proven that TSA's layers of security, protocols, and technology do not work....You can't

A 96% failure rate is highly egregious. Imagine you were a doctor and 96% of your patients died, or if you were a teacher and 96% of your students dropped out of school.

A person cannot experience any pride in their work, when it's all in vain; and really does not mean that much.

At TSA, your years of experience mean nothing. If you are entering TSA out of college, they do not appreciate or honor your education as something of value.
Pros
It's a paycheck; and that's about all
Cons
Poor Management, Constant Changes, Upper Management does not take reponsibilities for own actions. It's a boondoggle.

Transportation Security Administration Reviews by Job Title