Transportation Security Administration

Transportation Security Administration Employee Reviews in United States

great place to network
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Jamaica, NYMarch 28, 2016
A typical day at work very busy and hectic. My work day varies from day to day. Great coworkers, team work. Room for growth. Management need better training in a whole. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people everything and making sure they get to their destinations safe and sound.
Pros
Room for growth and promotion
Cons
short breaks
A positive work experience which I have recommended to others
TSA Officer and Lead Officer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2016
TSA was a dynamic place to work. I briefed the officers,took attendance,and scheduled assigned positions and rotations for the day which included breaks and lunches. I learned how to caibrate the walk through metal detector, the explosive trace detector, how to conduct a proper physical pat down. I managed 12 plus employees on a daily basis. I had an excellent relationship with co-workers, some of whom keep in touch with me to this day.

The hardest part of the job was informing passengers they could not bring certain items on their flights. Acting as moderator between co-workers assessing situation andfacilitating a solution.

The most enjoyable thing was seeing families heading off to their dream vacation or reuniting with family.
Pros
Working with a diverse workforce
Cons
52 mile one way commute
Great job
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 26, 2016
I typical work day starts at 3 a.m.. I love the fact that I interact with so many other people. I have learned that speaking up is a positive things and can be done as such. It has helped with having more confidence in myself. I have leaned to do more than just my own title. I am able do somethings that my Supervisors and Leads do. Co-workers are no different than any others. Some are strong and some are weak but I know how to work around the issues in order to get things done. I still will discuss things with them and bring to the attention so they know what is being seen and or done wrong so it may be corrected. The hardest part of my day is well nothing I adapt to whats going on and work. The enjoyable part of my job is well the interaction with others and just being someone important for everyone security when traveling. Making a difference that what is shown on the news, proving everyone wrong.
Assistant Security Analyst (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VA 22202March 25, 2016
Good place to learned about security and suitability. Work is not easy but will keep your mind working and motivated. Work environment is nice and clean and cubicles are spacious.
TSA, What can I say?
Federal Explosive Screener (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMarch 24, 2016
Working for the at first was great. Unfortunately they started hiring young kids who did not respect the job. Seems no one really cares for the job. I would not like to comment further
Pros
Working for the government benefits
Cons
Co-workers
Fast paced job
TSO (Current Employee) –  Myrtle Beach, SCMarch 22, 2016
Most day are good days at work and for the most part typical. I learned the ends and outs of airport security and the importance of my job duties. Most of my co works on my level are great to work with. The hardest part of my job is dealing with passengers. The most enjoyable part of my job is dealing with passengers.
Pros
Paid vacation, good benifits, opportunity for advancement in larger airports.
Cons
Hard to use vacation time, no room for advancement in smaller airports
tsa
Federal Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 20, 2016
management is very unorganized.the pay is great you don't get raises often but you may get bonuses depending on your performance.healthcare is nice because you are federal but you still pay for it. it is a standing job u get tired.
Pros
pay, healthcare
Cons
breaks, vacation
Poor Management & Unprofessional
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAMarch 18, 2016
TSA could be better if upper management where held responsible for the unprofessional behavior they are facilitating from many TSO's. TSA works airport offices around the clock. You don't get your weekends off or rotate weekends like good security companies, even after years of employment. The pay is way to low and if you have children this job isn't accommodating. Most TSO 's dream of moving into other government agencies however this rarely happens, unless they have a degree. Even then those with degrees don't stay long. Complaints are ignored which contributes to why EEOC complaints are high. I warn anyone who is looking for work to be careful of an organization with high EEOC complaints. People need work not a headache.
Pros
job security, benefits
Cons
unprofessional, low wages, no weekends off, not accommodating schedule
Teamwork and importance to the mission
Transportation Security Officer (TSO) (Current Employee) –  Romulus, MIMarch 18, 2016
My experience with the Transportation Security Administration has given me skills that I can use to progress in my career such as teamwork, interpersonal skills, communication skills, honest/integrity, and commitment to the organization. It is a workplace where teamwork is essential to carry out the mission of TSA to efficiently provide security to thousands of passengers daily. The most enjoyable part of the job is the daily communication with a widely diverse audience by explaining to them the security process and what to expect during our security procedures.
Pros
Teamwork/Communication
Cons
N/A
Stressful
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAMarch 15, 2016
good job because its federal and you get benefits and there are always overtime opportunities but management and overall job stress can really break you down if you let it.

Want to know more about Transportation Security Administration?

Ask a question
Tsa
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Appleton, WIMarch 15, 2016
Great job you get to work with officers that love doing what they are doing. Also get to meet people from all over the world that are traveling through your airport.
Hardest part of the job is trying to keep your crew focused on what they are doing, also working with management can sometimes be wearing on your nerves because you work the floor and they sit in an office. You work with the officers and they sit in a office, not really knowing the needs of the officers.
Pros
Great ins after retirement
Cons
Trying to make things work and following the rules they make.
Unless you are desperate, look elsewhere
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 14, 2016
From angry passengers to patting people down, incompetent management and fellow coworkers, this job choice should be avoided. The job is more customer service based than security based, trying to please and convenience people as opposed to actual security. Extremely low morale partially due to inconsistencies of supervisors and upper-management. Forced to take breaks 10 minutes into your 8 hour shift and not getting your lunch break another 5 1/2 - 6 hours later is ridiculous. Very difficult to get time off for vacation. Odd hours of work lead to very little sleep which also affects your mental and physical well being. There are very limited options as far as promotion potentials and about 50% of the time do the truly deserving candidates get promoted. However, constant patting down passengers and coworkers genitals is extremely uncomfortable and by far the worst part of the job. Never had to deal with that issue until fairly recent due to a new policy change.....another little fyi for anyone possibly considering working here.

The reassuring part is the bit of satisfaction I get every once in a while when I get a passenger who thanks me for being there, keeping them safe. Not that I am looking for anyone to thank me for my job but it is reassuring when someone shows appreciation and respect for the job we perform. The somewhat decent pay was the only thing that kept me here so long.....Probably the only reason why the turnover rate isn't much higher than it already is.
Pros
Pay, benefits
Cons
Mismanagement, hours of work, hostility, degrading
Great Job, Poor Management
Supervisory Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAMarch 11, 2016
I loved the job and what we were there to do. It was great pay and benefits. The problem was that none, and I mean literally none of the upper local management had ever supervised or managed anyone. Promotions were based on brown nosing, or to appease someone who was threatening to file a lawsuit due to mistreatment or discrimination. If the disconnect between shifts wasn't bad enough, managers on one shift giving different information from what the SOP required, you could ask 3 different managers on the same shift a question, and get 3 different, albeit wrong answers, when it was cut and dry in the SOP. When there was an angry passenger, management would walk away and leave the area to get a coffee, so they wouldn't have to deal with the situation. I was never a union supporter, but years before they even talked about unionizing, I said these TSO's really need a union to protect them.

As I stated I really enjoyed what the job was about, but I had to leave after almost 10 years of trying to protect my teams from the power hungry misguided management
Pros
Great Pay, Intense Customer Service Experience, Benefits
Cons
Poor management, Favoritism in promotions
Good benefits
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEMarch 10, 2016
Busy, fast paced, reliable, good benefits for health insurance, nice set schedules, double pay on holidays, paid time off.
fair place to work
screener (Former Employee) –  SeaTac, WAMarch 10, 2016
enjoyed the people i worked with and meeting new people everyday, getting to run x-ray machines was different. i also was the person that cleaned the etd machines for 3 areas
Difficult balance between customer service and security.
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 9, 2016
Was never that good on the x-ray. Slowed the line down and was still concerned about missing something..Smart x-ray machines that would highlight suspicious items were supposed to be in use years ago but it seems that they have given up on them.
The worst organization to ever work for
Transportation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 9, 2016
The location is very unprofessional much of the staff is unprofessional. The environment alone is just negative. The hours are not conducive to anyone with a family let alone being a single parent, you can forget about it. It's hard to take any days off because. You have to bid on your shift, days off, and work location and all of this is based on seniority. Their aren't any 9-5 shifts you will either start early early in the morning starting at 3am up to 6am and mid shifts starting at either noon, 12:30pm, 1:00pm, etc etc. Most of the management have horrible people skills as well as the officers. I can go on and on but if I do my grammar and punctuation would be much worse than it already is because I'm just so unhappy about this place of business!

The only reason why I gave this place a 2 star rating is because of the excellent benefits but that is even reaching because it was hard doing that.
Benefits
Cons
Management, officers, hours, lack of customer service, low morale, etc etc etc
Interesting and intense
Lead Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 6, 2016
Every day was different! Hours were varied and almost 24 hours a day available. If you can handle the intensity, it is a good place/job to work.
Pros
Long term employment
Cons
Yearly tests for proficiency were too changable each year
What you learned
Accounts Receivable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Houston, TexasMarch 2, 2016
My last job was an excellent learning opportunity and I developed my skills and experience in numerous different ways.
A foot in the door of the government
Transportation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Glen Burnie, MDMarch 1, 2016
A typical day working for Transportation Security Administration consist of screening the passengers before they get on the plane. Such duties include checking their tickets, operating the X-ray with their belongings coming through, operating the body scanner or metal detector to see if the passengers have any prohibited items on their person, performing bag checks and performing pat downs on the passengers. From working with Transportation Security Administration, I learned that you can not be timid when dealing with the passengers because they will try to get over. As far as the management, I believe that there could be better leadership and more empathy coming from them as well. As far as my co-workers, I have gained relationships with some. The hardest part of the job is dealing with confrontation with some passengers. What I enjoy most from the job is that there is never a dull moment there.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Leadership from upper management, short breaks, short staff

Transportation Security Administration Reviews by Job Title