Travel Traders Employee Reviews

Amazing first job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Incline Village, NVNovember 19, 2017
I loved working here. My co-workers were around my age and were very fun to work with. My manager was very professional and kept us on track. Was very easy to learn new things.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Fun place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 9, 2017
Great company to work for. Paid vacations, raises, overtime,benefits, and very good about giving hours. However sometimes the schedule comes out late and the managers are overworked. Coworkers can be competitive but only because the company offers contests sometimes.
Pros
Raises, discounts, vacation.
Cons
Schedule is late sometimes, managers are always busy.
the views are amaing
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Indian Wells, CASeptember 22, 2017
The very first thing I would do is count the safe, check our systems messages, do some paper work, send breaks, & make orders. Then after closing, close the registers. I loved the enviornment and style.
ok
Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLSeptember 4, 2017
Open work space is nice. Lots of employees. Employees are willing to assist each other. Casual work environment with casual clothing attire. Dedicated employees working long hours.
Pros
open
Cons
open
Probably an okay 2nd job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNAugust 25, 2017
Some locations are slower than others. Depending on the occupancy for the week or different events being held in the city, you'll find yourself either very busy or very bored. Corporate needs to up the pay to have the same rate for each of their locations like other businesses.
Pros
free food and free parking, okay discount
Cons
boring at times, hard time finding new employees
Productive job
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXAugust 13, 2017
Its a good job but Its more of a get expirience.The management is okay but not that great.And some of the workers are okay to work with.But over all its an okay job.
Productive, fun, but Underpaid
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kapolei, HI 96707August 6, 2017
Travel Traders is usually affiliated with hotels. At my location we work with the Marriott time share as the hotels grocery, gift shop, and food service area. As a sales associate I am required to have knowledge, and perform customer services, retail, and food services. I have prior experience in all fields, but feel that I am under paid.
Working for this company has greatly improved my customer service, time management, and organizational skills. I enjoy the atmosphere of work because it is a popular vacation area, and most people are in good spirits.
Pros
Employee discounts, Beach location
Cons
Under paid
Great to work for
Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlantic City, NJJune 24, 2017
If my location didnt closed down. I would still work for them. Unfortunately the next location was in Philadelphia and was currently fully staff and at the time i had a new born. It was going to be to much traveling involved. But a great company to work for.
Too slow
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  KOLOA, HIJune 12, 2017
This job was just ok, they offer ok pay but it's really slow and the location of the store barely attracts any customers. Standing up most of the time.
Stagnant
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 10, 2017
Good for beginners (college students) or if you love retail. The job is tedious. You don't learn much. Management does not care about the employees. Everyone is stressed out and no one likes working there. It's petty and stressful for no reason. The company only cares about the numbers but also don't care about the customers. The company is too cheap to offer official training. They make you feel like you are a bad employee and that you don't do anything. When in reality it's the other way around. This might not be all gift shops but the ones in Chicago are. It could be so much better.
Pros
relatively consistent schedule, easy
Cons
management, tedious, petty
Worst place ever!
Cashier and Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, FLJune 8, 2017
I was tricked with a pretty smile to work here. I was worked like a dog, extremely understaffed so I suffered a lot, and just felt miserable. The manager got payed to basically staple some papers and call it a day while we worked our butts off to run the shop. Once in a while the manager would help out but I could count how many times one both hands. But other than that I was offered plenty of hours which meant I always looked forward to pay day.
Pros
Free decent lunch
Cons
Great place to get your foot in the door
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CAFebruary 27, 2017
Great place to get started with customer experience and working in a small store. Prices of items were high/overpriced but other than that the environment was very friendly as it was a hotel gift shop, basically everyone is on vacation or a business trip.
Pros
Free lunches everyday
Cons
N/a
Revolving Door
Area Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston/Cambridge, MAOctober 6, 2016
I would not work here in any capacity unless it is your last resort.

In regards to an associates position you will be required and pressured to work any and all shifts no matter the written availability you give them. Additionally plan to work other area stores often as this company has difficulty recruiting or retaining employees at all levels. As for pay they have gone from $10/hr to $12/hr because no one wants to work here so if that is a good wage go for it! Just be sure you get it as they also forget to give you your 90 day increase unless you complain.

As management you will have the same treatment as the associates and aside from the fact that you are salary not hourly you basically are an associate. You will be constantly called by the District Manager to help at other stores by going yourself or sending one of your staff even when you are not working. You can plan on often being floor coverage with the expectation of completing your management duties as well due to the continual lack of staffing. The recruiting and HR is done by one person who has about 100 stores who often forgets to place ads and continually sends you resumes that you have already gotten and are not qualified. The hotel management has little faith in Travel Traders as well so do not expect their support until you are able to build one with them and earn their respect.
Pros
The hotels are great - Work for them instead
Cons
Some of the employees are cons
Great environment.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 24, 2016
Fast paced environment. Coffee bar kept you busy most of the morning hours. Traveled to other cities to train other managers. Great place to work. Management was very supportive. Keeping a good staff was the hardest part of the job. Meeting people from all over the world was the best part of the job.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, discounts.
Assistant Buyer/Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 25, 2016
No room for advancement, make you work long hours, no real training or growth. I enjoy my co-workers but that is about it.
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2016
Working for this company is like having no life. You have to do everything as if your are a slave. Nobody want to close . Their is always call outs and of course their is never coverage which means your supervisor or manager will then have to pick up the slack.

As for upper management I feel as if they don't care for their employees or management. Lack of communication.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Short breaks
Productive for my career
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2016
I loved how much I learned and how fast I moved up in the company. I liked meeting all the customers who stayed in the hotel they were from all over the world and I love how much experience I gained from working at the company.
Bad Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 7, 2016
The management..or lack there of.. is a complete joke. I haven’t had a real manager in my store for months. They keep sending someone from another state whose store closed down last year and she doesnt seem to care really. When the DM comes in flying on her broomstick she is often yelling at us and blaming us associates for things that are not are fault. We try our best, but the incompetence from management is unreal. Alot of times we didn’t even get our schedules until the day before or the day of the new week.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No Free Shift Drink, bad management
Unvalued
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2016
If you are looking to join a company that values their employees then you may want to stay clear of this company. Below has been my experience working for Travel Traders, LLC.

I have worked for Travel Traders for the last eight to nine months as an Area Manager. In that time I often found myself working long days and six or seven days a week. Why you might ask? Nearly all coverage is single shift coverage. If someone calls out or quits YOU are it, because 90% of the time no one else will want to pick up the shift. Plan to have no work-life balance on a barely competitive salary.

Speaking of compensation, do not expect any paid holidays off as a member of the management team. If fact, you will be expected to work all the holidays so the company does not incur overtime cost. That's right; the store supervisor will get to have off, but you will work. Travel Traders' competitors pay field managers anywhere from 5 to 9 paid holidays off a year in addition to 3 weeks of PTO on average.

Let's talk about technology; oh wait, there is no current technology. As a member of store management be prepared to have no company email (promised but still waiting), no company computer/laptop, and no company phone. But you will be required to supply your personal phone number so everyone can get a hold of you when you are scheduled off. How do you order merchandise? By fax machine. This company loves its paperwork; often seeking repetitive information on several different forms. It appears the company has little consideration for the environment; wasting reams of paper
  more... a day for stores that typically do not do that much sales volume.

I do want to point out some of what I believe to be some of the highlights so to speak. The company did upgrade their payroll system since I have been here. This was a huge improvement moving from manual pen & paper calculations and faxing in payroll to an online system similar to Kronos. The one other highlight is the incentive/contest that the store teams can win by exceeding goals.

There is little sense of team amongst the management team in the district that I work. Almost everybody stays to themselves and doesn't want to share ideas with the rest of the managers.

I joined this company in hopes of eventually advancing with this company and that by working with them I could help bring change. I tried that by talking to TPTB, gave suggestions and it did little good. The company doesn't want change. They are perfectly satisfied by the status quo, not creating an employee first culture, and focusing solely on profits rather than people. Senior management might want to look into the concept of Conscience Capitalism a bit. I am a firm believer that if you take care of your employees better than anyone else, your employees will take care of your customers better than anyone else. The profits will flow.

I strongly suggest you do your research on the company before making any decisions on joining their 'team'.
Run for your life
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 3, 2016
To start with my Area Manager and the people I worked with daily were the greatest. On the other hand, the “powers that be”, left a lot to be desired. Whomever makes the budgets, they obviously do not look at the type of clientele for the hotel, nor look at the forecasted percentages coming into the hotel for the coming month and adjust accordingly nor care where the hotel is located (which state). Prices are much too high in this area for the clientele but also the fact that most of the souvenirs are either outdated or much to large for people to want to carry with them to take home. The health and beauty items can be purchased at a drug store half a block a way for a lesser price as well as the food items. “The powers that be” have placed to many items in the store and this confuses the customer so we lose business. Paperwork is redundant since Head Office receives most of it at the end of each night (not an eco friendly company). Expectations on sales are unrealistic. For the work expected of any employee especially up-selling the products this isn't McDonald's where you try to get the customer to buy a larger order of fries, products should speak for themselves and people are not interested in saving a dollar. This company needs to become a part of the 21st Century as far as technology is concerned, such as a laptop or computer in the office. If you are looking to make a few dollars for a few months then this might be the place for you, but do not expect a raise after 3 months or so as most jobs give but to stay at the same rate of pay unless you become a supervisor  more... or Area Manager. Upper management does not really care about the employees, nor are they really interested in what employees have to say but it would seem they are just about making more money for themselves.  less
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Upper Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travel Traders. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7