Travel Traders Employee Reviews

Great environment.
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 24, 2016
Fast paced environment. Coffee bar kept you busy most of the morning hours. Traveled to other cities to train other managers. Great place to work. Management was very supportive. Keeping a good staff was the hardest part of the job. Meeting people from all over the world was the best part of the job.
Pros
Benefits, 401K, discounts.
Revolving Door
Area Manager/Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Boston/Cambridge, MAOctober 6, 2016
I would not work here in any capacity unless it is your last resort.

In regards to an associates position you will be required and pressured to work any and all shifts no matter the written availability you give them. Additionally plan to work other area stores often as this company has difficulty recruiting or retaining employees at all levels. As for pay they have gone from $10/hr to $12/hr because no one wants to work here so if that is a good wage go for it! Just be sure you get it as they also forget to give you your 90 day increase unless you complain.

As management you will have the same treatment as the associates and aside from the fact that you are salary not hourly you basically are an associate. You will be constantly called by the District Manager to help at other stores by going yourself or sending one of your staff even when you are not working. You can plan on often being floor coverage with the expectation of completing your management duties as well due to the continual lack of staffing. The recruiting and HR is done by one person who has about 100 stores who often forgets to place ads and continually sends you resumes that you have already gotten and are not qualified. The hotel management has little faith in Travel Traders as well so do not expect their support until you are able to build one with them and earn their respect.
Pros
The hotels are great - Work for them instead
Cons
Some of the employees are cons
Unvalued
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 7, 2016
If you are looking to join a company that values their employees then you may want to stay clear of this company. Below has been my experience working for Travel Traders, LLC.

I have worked for Travel Traders for the last eight to nine months as an Area Manager. In that time I often found myself working long days and six or seven days a week. Why you might ask? Nearly all coverage is single shift coverage. If someone calls out or quits YOU are it, because 90% of the time no one else will want to pick up the shift. Plan to have no work-life balance on a barely competitive salary.

Speaking of compensation, do not expect any paid holidays off as a member of the management team. If fact, you will be expected to work all the holidays so the company does not incur overtime cost. That's right; the store supervisor will get to have off, but you will work. Travel Traders' competitors pay field managers anywhere from 5 to 9 paid holidays off a year in addition to 3 weeks of PTO on average.

Let's talk about technology; oh wait, there is no current technology. As a member of store management be prepared to have no company email (promised but still waiting), no company computer/laptop, and no company phone. But you will be required to supply your personal phone number so everyone can get a hold of you when you are scheduled off. How do you order merchandise? By fax machine. This company loves its paperwork; often seeking repetitive information on several different forms. It appears the company has little consideration for the environment; wasting reams of paper
  more... a day for stores that typically do not do that much sales volume.

I do want to point out some of what I believe to be some of the highlights so to speak. The company did upgrade their payroll system since I have been here. This was a huge improvement moving from manual pen & paper calculations and faxing in payroll to an online system similar to Kronos. The one other highlight is the incentive/contest that the store teams can win by exceeding goals.

There is little sense of team amongst the management team in the district that I work. Almost everybody stays to themselves and doesn't want to share ideas with the rest of the managers.

I joined this company in hopes of eventually advancing with this company and that by working with them I could help bring change. I tried that by talking to TPTB, gave suggestions and it did little good. The company doesn't want change. They are perfectly satisfied by the status quo, not creating an employee first culture, and focusing solely on profits rather than people. Senior management might want to look into the concept of Conscience Capitalism a bit. I am a firm believer that if you take care of your employees better than anyone else, your employees will take care of your customers better than anyone else. The profits will flow.

I strongly suggest you do your research on the company before making any decisions on joining their 'team'.
Assistant Buyer/Purchasing Agent (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJuly 25, 2016
No room for advancement, make you work long hours, no real training or growth. I enjoy my co-workers but that is about it.
Run for your life
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 3, 2016
To start with my Area Manager and the people I worked with daily were the greatest. On the other hand, the “powers that be”, left a lot to be desired. Whomever makes the budgets, they obviously do not look at the type of clientele for the hotel, nor look at the forecasted percentages coming into the hotel for the coming month and adjust accordingly nor care where the hotel is located (which state). Prices are much too high in this area for the clientele but also the fact that most of the souvenirs are either outdated or much to large for people to want to carry with them to take home. The health and beauty items can be purchased at a drug store half a block a way for a lesser price as well as the food items. “The powers that be” have placed to many items in the store and this confuses the customer so we lose business. Paperwork is redundant since Head Office receives most of it at the end of each night (not an eco friendly company). Expectations on sales are unrealistic. For the work expected of any employee especially up-selling the products this isn't McDonald's where you try to get the customer to buy a larger order of fries, products should speak for themselves and people are not interested in saving a dollar. This company needs to become a part of the 21st Century as far as technology is concerned, such as a laptop or computer in the office. If you are looking to make a few dollars for a few months then this might be the place for you, but do not expect a raise after 3 months or so as most jobs give but to stay at the same rate of pay unless you become a supervisor  more... or Area Manager. Upper management does not really care about the employees, nor are they really interested in what employees have to say but it would seem they are just about making more money for themselves.  less
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Upper Management
Bad Management
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 7, 2016
The management..or lack there of.. is a complete joke. I haven’t had a real manager in my store for months. They keep sending someone from another state whose store closed down last year and she doesnt seem to care really. When the DM comes in flying on her broomstick she is often yelling at us and blaming us associates for things that are not are fault. We try our best, but the incompetence from management is unreal. Alot of times we didn’t even get our schedules until the day before or the day of the new week.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
No Free Shift Drink, bad management
Poor management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJuly 21, 2016
Working for this company is like having no life. You have to do everything as if your are a slave. Nobody want to close . Their is always call outs and of course their is never coverage which means your supervisor or manager will then have to pick up the slack.

As for upper management I feel as if they don't care for their employees or management. Lack of communication.
Pros
30% discount
Cons
Short breaks
Travel Traders
Lead Associate (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJune 8, 2015
This is not a fun company to work for at all. They are there to make the most money as possible with little regard to the employees. They will use and abuse you until they dont need you anymore. This is a perfect job for a complete tool who can not think for themselves. They want you to be grateful that you are making low wages and barely can support yourself. They want you to sell overpriced items and upsell. They will use you for a year and then throw you out when a raise is due. Just google them and you will see the CEO plead guilty to charges a few years ago. If you need something temporary this is it. Just dont plan on staying or growing with the company if you can think for yourself.
management is incompetent
sales associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 27, 2016
I got hired with high expectations I was told I would be getting 30 hrs a week . ended up with 16 hrs and was fired through the phone while at work. Schedules were a mess and asking for a day off was a nightmare. At the end I was told that they were cutting budget and they didn't need me anymore, through the phone never signed anything, their professionalism is very lacking.
Great place to work.Contact with guests from all over the world.
Retail Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 24, 2016
Travel Traders and my current manager have provided me with the knowledge to successfully run the shop.Usually arrive at the store at 6:40 a.m. Count the money and set up the cash register draws for the day, Open the store at 7 a.m. Cycle count various products in the store. Receive orders throughout the day. Re- stock merchandise as needed. When new product arrives merchandise displays to promote sales.Choose an item of the week at cash wrap to increase sales.Great team of employees. We work together as a family. We are a small group. The hardest part of my job is leaving at the end of the day, I love working with our guests and employees. The most enjoyable part of the day is learning new ways to make our team and store the best it can be. We always work together each month to win sales contests and top traders. It is so rewarding.
Pros
Ability to run the store and meet our monthly goals and upts
Cons
There really aren't any to speak of.
Area Manager
Area Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJanuary 25, 2016
If you actually want to manage, avoid this company. The position as Area Manager is more like a baby sitter who basically is paid more to ensure the gift shops are staffed when one of the five employees decides to quit or not show up. Pay is based on 45 hours per week. Work week hours are more likely to hit 55 to 60 with a lot of 6:30 am to 10:30pm shifts if someone calls off. You are at the mercy of the corporate HR Department to staff the store.

The only real interaction you may have with upper management is when something negative is to be communicated. There is not a lot of recognition.

Ordering of products is done by fax. There is not any computer access or ordering of any sort.

Prices on products are very high. I understand this company is trying to target a captive customer who is traveling but the prices on products are 2x to 10x as expensive as a drug store. I also understand this company does not have the buying power as a larger company but you have to feel a little guilty for charging $5 for a trial size product.

Insurance costs are very high. Very low 401K match. Point of Sale and ordering systems are from the 1980's. Dial up service for credit charges.

The only perk is if you are able to use the title of Area Manager and twist the job position to build a resume for a future position.
My years with Travel Traders
Area Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 20, 2012
The diversity, work flexibility, opportunity for advancement, company sales incentives, benefits, the variety of jobs that keeps you motivated , a fun place to work with where you interact with all people from all walks of life, a great and a professional management and opportunity for a potential growth in the company. These are reasons why I put my 21 years of service in the company with love and dedication.
Nice place to work
Cashier/Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOFebruary 2, 2013
I had a typical day@ work,. got to meet new people and all different types of people each and every day that I worked everyday.

how a store is ran day and night and on a daily basises- .

management was good when I first started, but after new management came in she started bring people in that use to work for her at another establishment.

I love my co-workers they were wonderful, we worked as a team and worked together that is what I like about my co-workers.

no good benifits what so ever,

The people that came in and the stories they'd have to tell especially the baseball players and the out of state truck drivers the functions that went on, but mostly the people that I got to me I love it
Productive for my career
Supervisor, Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJuly 10, 2016
I loved how much I learned and how fast I moved up in the company. I liked meeting all the customers who stayed in the hotel they were from all over the world and I love how much experience I gained from working at the company.
Fun to work in different hotels
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mesa, AZJuly 8, 2014
My time was spent working between two hotels. I preferred one location over another. I spent my day checking in and putting out products along with helping guests. Since you work alone most of the time it can be boring. One location was slow a lot and there wasn't much to do. I enjoyed talking to flight crews when they would stop in. It was fun to hear all their accents and slang. The hardest part is working alone.
Pros
Free meals from the hotels
Cons
Denied vacation, hard to get a raise, hard to get time off
great place to work management is lacking
Sales Associate/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Indian wells (Hyatt Regeancy) gift shopMarch 14, 2015
if your friends with the manager you will be fine if not then you will work twice as hard as anyone else while the management team has a good time.
Pros
co workers
Cons
3 years no raise
Empty Promises and Poor Management
Merchandising (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 25, 2012
constant promises made about salary reviews
bonus promised and changed the structure after the fact
poor systems
management have no back bone and will fire people to make up for their own mistakes
Fun, Learning Experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 26, 2013
Travel Traders Gift/Coffee shop provided a well workplace. I was hired with-out any knowledge on retail. 1 Month later I was a team leader, I took on the responsibility as manager. I made Coca-cola Orders, Milk Orders, as well as Pastry orders. I made sure each invoice I received was put it in a file. I was in charge of daily transactions: cash/credit cards. Management there was iffy, since ive been hired we've been through 3 managers. I enjoyed working at travel traders because I was able to have hands on training and took on team leader, where everything that needed to be done was all on me. I enjoy the challenges.
Pros
30% discounts on any item in store
Cons
short breaks
Productive and fun work place.
Part time Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Fe, NMNovember 15, 2015
Busy work days, customer service, I love working with and meeting new people. management is easy to talk to. hardest part are the hours.
Good Job
Sales Person (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNMarch 26, 2015
I work at Travel Traders in a hotel, and it has been the best retail job I have ever had. The staff from Travel Traders and the hotel are very nice as well as helpful. Management is very fair as well as the coworkers. It is a very relaxed environment, and no task is too hard; they can be just time-consuming. I would only not recommend this job to someone who is not social; being outgoing and friendly is a requirement.
Pros
Free food from the hotel and a good working environment
Cons
Quite a lot of multitasking if one can handle it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Travel Traders. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6