TravelCenters of America, Inc.

TravelCenters of America, Inc. Employer Reviews

Great place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Russell, ILJanuary 30, 2015
Being a customer service represntative is great, I meet people from all over the country. I try to make their stop enjoyable so we earn their repeat business in the best way possible
Facility was very busy,
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee), Southington CtJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: normal 8-4:30 5 day work schedule plus ample overtime if wanted.
Cons: really should have had an assistant or 2nd maintenance person
As the FMT (Facilities Maintenance Technician). I had extensive responsibilities ! Which varied daily along with regular scheduled routine , I Was required to obtain a UST (underground Storage tank) Operators License. as well as complete Many online tests for Electrical Knowledge, Carpentry Knowledge, Plumbing Knowledge, HVAC, Knowledge Roofing Knowledge, as well as complete daily weekly monthly and semi annual as well as Annual checklists. Also responsibilities included documenting any fuel spills caused by drivers which were very frequent and sometimes very time consuming as well as documentation for the DEP. Main responsibility was to make sure Diesel Pumps remained operational and efficient on a regular basis and they were constantly breaking down. Facility was constantly having building issues as well as the Showers for the Drivers and Bathrooms always needing maintenance Mechanically. I was also told I was responsible for the Janitors which were staffed to Clean all the Showers and other common areas of the facility. Many of these responsibilities were not explained at the time of the hiring process. And hence the starting wages I Iater found were about 20% below industry standards. THe facility operates 24/7/365 and the staff gets very poor benefit package.. This position was considered to be the highest hourly paid position in the facility for non salaried or Diesel Truck Mechanic. Many of the part time staff were poorly treated and often looked down on by management as disposable part time employees. None of Part time workers were paid much over minimum wage.
It is a decent place to work when you want to get some experience in dealing with different walks of life.
Porter (Current Employee), Gary, INJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: a discount on meals and beverages.
Cons: short breaks and not enough hours.
I've learned how to deal with customers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the disgruntled management and the disgruntled employees. I enjoy getting together with some of the employees and accomplishing things in teamwork.
Intense work inviroment
Assistant Shop Manager (Former Employee), Council Bluffs, IADecember 29, 2014
Pros: a job
Cons: crazy work schedule, irrisponsible employees, questionable management style
I was on rotating shifts and I felt I had no social life. The truck stop was a 27/7/365 operation. The location I worked at hired half its employees from a halfway house. I'm all for giving anyone another chance but it was ridiculous. At one time, over 75% were fired for using meth on the property. The company needs to be more diligent in screening its future employees,
Its a job
CSR1 (Former Employee), Ashland, VANovember 12, 2014
Job is never the save form day to day. You are trained on many different areas from hot food bar to merchandise management and ordering.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Westlake, OHOctober 23, 2014
Pros: friendly, fun atmosphere
Cons: can't think of any
TA was such a great place to work. Everyone was so friendly there. Since I worked at the corporate office we got to test lots of things that went into the travel locations. They also had many employee perks such as a gym in the basement, giveaways to local events at Quicken Loans Arena, Browns Stadium or at Cleveland Indian's games. Also had monthly employee meetings to recognize birthdays or anniversaries of working with the company complete with cake.
Great work environment
Cashier (Current Employee), Eloy, AZSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: friendly environment
Cons: low pay, no benefits, part time
A typical day at work for me would include:
- Handling cash, credit/debit, and check transactions.
- Cleaning (hot dog roller, coffee machines, floors, fountain machine, restrooms, and taking out the trash)
- Stocking inventory
- Receiving orders

Since I started working at TA I've learned:
- About the different types of payment that truckers can use
- How to accept those different types of payments
- How to receive inventory
- How to use the CAT Scale

The management at TA is great they treat everyone with respect and work with everyone's schedule the best they can. They want to help new hires learn everything about the job before putting them out on the floor by themselves. If you have any problems they are always there to help in anyway they can!

My co-workers are awesome, we all work together to keep the place running as smooth as possible for one another.

The hardest part of the job is remembering everything in the beginning, you have to be on top of a lot of different things. For instance trucker's are allowed up to $300 dollar check cashing for free only if they get 50 gallons of fuel, otherwise they have to pay a fee.

The most enjoyable part of my job is all of the great people I work with, and being able to be home with my kids!
Productive and fun work environment
Truck Service Advisor (Current Employee), Laredo, TXSeptember 17, 2014
on a daily basis, i would come in to work. set myself up on the shop
counter. did my cash drawer verification, followed up with the off going advisor. greet customers along my shift which started at 12am and ended at 8 am. entered drivers request for repair or maintenance on company or drivers equipment on a work order. i informed customers of diagnosis and provided repair information. the hardest part of my jobs was when i had to turn customers away due to not being able to perform repairs on their equipment because of not having the proper tools or parts available or having them be against company policy.
use to be a fun envirorment now its like a prison
waitress (Current Employee), dansville nyApril 7, 2014
Pros: 401k benefit
Cons: charge to much for healthcare, no free meals
I have been there for 10 years I have seen many people come and go. Recently rules have changed once again. Typical day is to just wait on tables deal with rude customers and the pleasant ones. I have learned good social skills. The management is not the greatest just very rude at times. I work in the morning and most of coworkers are great people. I love working with them! Just dealing with all the stress walking on egg shells they are just out for their dollar. The customers and most employees.
fun working enviornment
cashier (Former Employee), ontario ca.January 19, 2014
Pros: free lunches
Cons: no breaks just 30 min lunch
loved my job here
you get so close to your customers and they become family
people think truckers are mean and nasty
but you get to know these men and women
from all over the world
if you get an opportunity to work at this
establishment
don't take it gor granted lik I did
Boring All Around
Fuel Center Attendant (Current Employee), Jessup, MDNovember 22, 2013
All you do is sit and wait until your services are needed. The money's good but if you want to sit all day than this is the job for you.
Decent Job
Corporate Recruiter (Former Employee), OhioNovember 8, 2013
Cons: no room for advancement
Decent company.....dept. manager was very good about a work life balance.
Learning new areas of a work field.
Parts Counter Representative (Former Employee), Baytown, TXOctober 23, 2013
Assisting clients with diesel truck parts that needed repairing.
little room for growth
Profit Center Manager (Former Employee), marengo,ilOctober 20, 2013
Pros: free meals loyal customer base group work enviroment
Cons: heathcare financial gain corporate attitude to employees
management is very much a profit first with out propper planning company non competitive pricing nonemployee friendly attitude though stated in their statuses and bylines,caring employees caring lower level non corporate manager good with thereory fails at implementing execution and helping with said execution
Bad company
cashier (Current Employee), redding caSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: discount on gas
Cons: none this place sucks. as soon as i get another job im out just like all the others.
They don't give you enough hours, everyone I worked with hates it, hates management.
People keep leaving and they get more part time people its a cycle.
You will be really unhappy here.
Fast paced work environment, detail oriented & multitasking required.
Dispatch & Logistics Agent (Current Employee), Westlake, OhioJune 28, 2013
A typical day at Travel Centers of America/RoadSquad Connect has a VERY fast paced environment. The ability to multitask, stay organized and pay attention details is an absolute requirement. RoadSquad Connect dispatches technicians out of various locations throughout the United States to breakdown locations provided by the customer. As an agent in this call center, we are required to "set up" the road call as well as track the technician's arrival & completion of the work order. Notifications of ALL actions is provided to the customer via email and/or phone. The motto is "You break down - we show up."
Prepare to have no life
Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Knoxville, TNJune 19, 2013
Pros: good benefits if you're full-time only, laid back environment, lot of friends to make there
Cons: promotion is hard, part-timers don't receive benefits, part-timers can only receive up to 29 hours
Working for TA is great and lot of the people hired now there are usually part-time teenagers that don't care about their job or people that have been there forever and ever and don't want to go anywhere else. This is the perfect job for you if you want to be a cashier and are not really interested in moving up. If you are part-time you can only receive up to 29 hours of work which means no benefits for you. It is unfortunate that by next year, if you do not have benefits then you will be fined around tax time. But if you work only 29 hours a week, you can't really afford it. So prepare to have no life, and possibly look for a second job while you're at it, and make sure you don't put that you can work any hours on your application. TA is looking for those who are committed to the job and are professional. You can't just go in, do the job and just go home. You're responsible for a large amount of your work which plays a big part in the store itself. Honestly, if you're a teenager looking for a summer job, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS JOB. But if you're someone who is willing to put in the time given and is ok with working ANY SHIFT and is alright with being called in on what you thought was your day off. I would recommend this job;

July 11, 2013

Yes, part timers do get benefits. I know this because I work at a TA as a part timer.

Friendly, available, customer focused, excited team.
Customer Service (Former Employee), Barstow, CAMay 29, 2013
Pros: working in the stock room organizing
Cons: hard work
Description Responsible for providing excellent customer service , efficiently and accurately completing sales and service. I liked the people I worked with and liked my managers
YOU DON'T WANT TO WORK HERE
asst general manager (Former Employee), bbloomsbury njApril 6, 2013
Pros: none...they are open 24 hours and expect you to be available
Cons: pay low benefits are awful hours over worked
I worked at Bloomsbury nj location and as soon as you use your voice to give an opinion they will make you miserable or fire you. I saw it done many many times. the pay is sub par and the benefits are terrible.
Fun working enviroment
Inventory Control Expert (Current Employee), Hebron, OHMarch 23, 2013
It has it ups and downs but the people that you work with make the day go better and always there when you need them