TravelCenters of America, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great company
Construction Manager (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHFebruary 3, 2016
Travel Centers Of America is a great company to work for, and the senior management are excellent to work with.
Great pay and benefits.
Horrible enviroment lousy corporation
Csr III (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJanuary 9, 2016
Horrible atmosphere, no job, security, promises broken, bias as all get out, favorites, just down right horrible corporation to work for, pros are my field manager and district and regional manager
Pros
FM DM RM all those managers of mine are very respectable men
Cons
Bosses, how you get treated, drama, broken work ethic
productive work place, friendly staff and great customers
prep cook (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJanuary 8, 2016
Love being employed , wonderful management and pleasant co/workers. the distance is great I like my work schedule
clean and modern. cultured
Pros
work environment
Cons
distance
good stepping stone
technician (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VAJanuary 7, 2016
good management, helpful staff, grateful drivers , clean work place, open classes , good computer programs, lots of shop tools. lots of knowledge that can be helpful
Most of skills were learned here
Technician (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 4, 2016
busy at times
co-worker were great people
didn't like that to earn a percentage in pay you had to pass ase certifications .
Pros
co-workers
Cons
not enough work (commission)
Great place to work with a variety of culture
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHOctober 27, 2015
Been with this company for over ten years and wouldn't change anything. We've went through a lot of changes and growth and made it through some very hard times. But management always like to see growth in the employees and help you obtain your goals. If I could relocate with this company I would.
Casual atmosphere
Shift Leader/Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Sayre, OKOctober 6, 2015
Fun to chat with truck drivers all night! Working the graveyard shift, one has very little to do and few interruptions. Complete inventory, wash towels, help with cleaning of showers, mopping floors, stocking coolers; anything to help pass the time. Fresh coffee is a must! Great way to learn more about the Americas if you have Over The Road drivers. Assisted the bookkeeper on the weekends for deposits and daily reconciliation reports. Hardest part about the job was making sure the morning shift actually showed up. Management is pretty much non-existant on a graveyard shift, though readily available by phone. After I transferred to California from Oklahoma, I was informed management didn't want ANY calls for any reason after their appointed shift. Poor transfer training, no access given for computer tasks. No support from middle or upper management. No confidentiality with paychecks.
Pros
free coffee, learned
Cons
poor wages, poor training
Unimpressive place to work
Assistant Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDAugust 28, 2015
Management was not supportive in certain areas. They allow cross training if desired. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the drivers from all over the US.
Pros
Meeting people
Cons
Unsupportive management
Kind Hearted Workers
Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) –  scJuly 19, 2015
Nice environment Family oriented Awesome Management
Solve customers problems Teamwork Great Benefits Learned a lot about trucks and people
Nice people, professional, yet vicious management
Server/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Greenland, NHJune 14, 2015
During a typical day, I would wash dishes, clean the floors and converse with my coworkers while doing so. While I enjoyed the company of management, they never allowed me to sit still for a second. I would be understanding of this if the pay were better. I also didn't like the mandatory training I had to do every month or so. The most redeeming quality of this job was the free meals. In short, great people, bad environment.
Pros
Free lunches, familial work culture, decent pay
Cons
Abusive bosses, stressful
Industry leader
Field Manager (District Manager of Operations) (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHApril 27, 2015
Long hours, but usually well compensated monetarily. Though the quality of life did suffer greatly in the position I held the last couple of years.
Learned much in the many years I was there and grateful for the skills I am taking away with me.
My co-workers and employees were some of the greatest people I have ever known. And the hardest part of leaving was the people.
Most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with our guests and employees daily.
interesting place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hebron, OhioApril 17, 2015
Hardest part of the job is math. giving out change correctly.
Most enjoyable part was talking to different people everyday.
Pros
Lackadaisical workplace.
Cons
must be energetic.
Worse Place to Work for
Porter/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Paulsboro, NJApril 4, 2015
Management is horrible and the staff their are rude and only care about themselves. And they work you like a dog. The hardest part of the job is that they have one person doing a three man job. The most enjoyable part of the job was when I got to leave.
Excellent Work Place!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHFebruary 16, 2015
Customer service department at TA TravelCenter of America is an in-bound call center for truck drivers, customers and sited of TA / Petro. A work day consists of executing customer inquires regarding loyalty cards, customer complaints, assisting company locations, and data entry and correspondence. The management team is superbly awesome to work for. I have learned that shared knowledge and building relationships among co-workers goes extremely for in making a terrific work environment. The most difficult part of the job can be a difficult call, but each difficult call is out weighed by great interactions with co-workers and other great and interesting calls. The most interesting, enjoyable and best part of working at TA TravelCenters of America in the customer service department is the great team and family environment within the department.
Great place to work.
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Russell, ILJanuary 30, 2015
Being a customer service represntative is great, I meet people from all over the country. I try to make their stop enjoyable so we earn their repeat business in the best way possible
Facility was very busy,
Facilities Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Southington CtJanuary 26, 2015
As the FMT (Facilities Maintenance Technician). I had extensive responsibilities ! Which varied daily along with regular scheduled routine , I Was required to obtain a UST (underground Storage tank) Operators License. as well as complete Many online tests for Electrical Knowledge, Carpentry Knowledge, Plumbing Knowledge, HVAC, Knowledge Roofing Knowledge, as well as complete daily weekly monthly and semi annual as well as Annual checklists. Also responsibilities included documenting any fuel spills caused by drivers which were very frequent and sometimes very time consuming as well as documentation for the DEP. Main responsibility was to make sure Diesel Pumps remained operational and efficient on a regular basis and they were constantly breaking down. Facility was constantly having building issues as well as the Showers for the Drivers and Bathrooms always needing maintenance Mechanically. I was also told I was responsible for the Janitors which were staffed to Clean all the Showers and other common areas of the facility. Many of these responsibilities were not explained at the time of the hiring process. And hence the starting wages I Iater found were about 20% below industry standards. THe facility operates 24/7/365 and the staff gets very poor benefit package.. This position was considered to be the highest hourly paid position in the facility for non salaried or Diesel Truck Mechanic. Many of the part time staff were poorly treated and often looked down on by management as disposable part time employees. None of Part time workers were paid much over minimum wage.
Pros
normal 8-4:30 5 day work schedule plus ample overtime if wanted.
Cons
really should have had an assistant or 2nd maintenance person
It is a decent place to work when you want to get some experience in dealing with different walks of life.
Porter (Current Employee) –  Gary, INJanuary 11, 2015
I've learned how to deal with customers. The hardest part of the job is dealing with the disgruntled management and the disgruntled employees. I enjoy getting together with some of the employees and accomplishing things in teamwork.
Pros
a discount on meals and beverages.
Cons
short breaks and not enough hours.
Intense work inviroment
Assistant Shop Manager (Former Employee) –  Council Bluffs, IADecember 29, 2014
I was on rotating shifts and I felt I had no social life. The truck stop was a 27/7/365 operation. The location I worked at hired half its employees from a halfway house. I'm all for giving anyone another chance but it was ridiculous. At one time, over 75% were fired for using meth on the property. The company needs to be more diligent in screening its future employees,
Pros
a job
Cons
crazy work schedule, irrisponsible employees, questionable management style
Its a job
CSR1 (Former Employee) –  Ashland, VANovember 12, 2014
Job is never the save form day to day. You are trained on many different areas from hot food bar to merchandise management and ordering.
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Westlake, OHOctober 23, 2014
TA was such a great place to work. Everyone was so friendly there. Since I worked at the corporate office we got to test lots of things that went into the travel locations. They also had many employee perks such as a gym in the basement, giveaways to local events at Quicken Loans Arena, Browns Stadium or at Cleveland Indian's games. Also had monthly employee meetings to recognize birthdays or anniversaries of working with the company complete with cake.
Pros
friendly, fun atmosphere
Cons
can't think of any