TravelCenters of America Employee Reviews

learning experience
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TXFebruary 13, 2018
i learned how to change tires on semi trucks. i was able to find air leaks on semi trucks and trailers, adn reoair them. i also changed oil and worked on brake systems.
Job was good paying
Truck Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Valley Grove, WVFebruary 10, 2018
The job was good just poor management. Pay was good and discounts were nice. Would have loved to stay there longer but it was also too long of a drive every day
i didn't enjoy working there at all.
Technician (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, ILFebruary 8, 2018
bad management and bad crews. i did a lot of on job learning or got all the jobs nobody else wanted to do. people had bad attitudes there and it was not a very friendly environment.
Great Place to work
CUSTOMER SERVICE/CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Branford, CTFebruary 4, 2018
I enjoyed working at the TA. It was a great working environment and I liked the employees and managers. It was third shift and a lot of truck drivers would come in and I enjoyed helping and conversing with them.
do not work here
Restaurant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Terrell, TexasFebruary 1, 2018
Cut throat business. People at corporate level would make a $100,000 mistake and just laugh and say that they will make the stores make it up.
I worked here and had upper management curse at me in front of guests and belittle you. They didn't care this was unprofessional and it was repeated.
Average
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Troutdale, ORFebruary 1, 2018
It's the average place to work. It just depends on who's working I always liked the shift before me on the morning but never night shift. They just had no sense of a job.
Pros
Free lunch
Learning experience
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJanuary 30, 2018
Fast pace customer service environment. You have to constantly deal with people with low patience. Everyone is in a rush & you have to keep up with the pace.
Horrible place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Monroe, MIJanuary 29, 2018
Employees constantly engaging in drama, nobody wants to do
their job, unfairly treated, low pay, smelly truck drivers, rude truck drivers, dirty environment including cleaning urine and feces off the bathroom floor.
Pretty decent place to work. Some locations make more than others.
Truck Technician (Former Employee) –  Knox County, TNJanuary 28, 2018
This was a commission job meaning you only get plaid what you earn. A lot of the time we didn't have lots of work and sometimes we had lots of truck waiting. I started working here thinking that I could just bust my butt and make tons of money but this was not the case. you only get the trucks that come in and sometimes no trucks come in and you make no money. Training is paid for which is a huge plus if you want to continue in the field.
Pros
Training, Commission, People
Cons
Sometimes no work
great work place
Lead server. Cook (Current Employee) –  Bloomsburg, PAJanuary 27, 2018
a great place to work, management is good and works with you, respects you. I learned a lot from travel center of America hardest part was people calling off and the management had to fill in. enjoyable part was the people I worked with and the people I met
Pros
discount on our meals
Cons
health care was expensive
Worst place to work by far.
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  PaJanuary 26, 2018
They don’t pay what they advertise, the management is horrible. I’ve had bosses that worked there longer than I was alive and didn’t know what the steering column was while replacing u-joints. I don’t recommend this place to anyone, pay is minimal, almost impossible to make commission if you’re places in a depressed area. You are forced to work major holidays, and whatever shift they want you to work.
Not worth it
Lead (Former Employee) –  Willington, CTJanuary 25, 2018
I worked for 1 of the 2 restaurants here. You always worked short handed because they would cut everyone's hours down to save money. Most employees were part time because only a handful of full-time positions were open. Some weeks you were lucky to get 8 hours for the week.
Pros
Some co-workers were nice
Cons
Hours, management, work environment
Fast paced
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Madison, GAJanuary 25, 2018
Lottery fast paced could of been better management I left cause it was a far drive... Checking in vendors cleaning wester union money orders customer service took care of the bar with the food kept it clean stocked
Good pay. POOR Managers
Technician (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PAJanuary 24, 2018
Money is good. Higher ups have no idea what they are doing at times. Not home a lot. Hard to get good help. Good training. Not hard work. Commission work is not for everyone.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Managers
Great place to work if you are driven towards a challenge.
Store General manager (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJanuary 24, 2018
This is a great place to work. The upper level management can be difficult to adjust to, and sometimes you may not know the tone or how to take them, but then again that is in every facet of life, and if you can't handle that then this isn't the place for you. A lot is expected form you, but if you are willing to make sacrifices to get the job done and adapt to change on the fly well you will succeed.
Pros
Great training programs.
Cons
Management can be wishy washy.
Good beginnong place to work for a mechanic looking for his start.
Diesel Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SCJanuary 23, 2018
Was treated well from management and employees, was given all the tools to learn what was needed for the job. Wasn't too keen on working for commission based earning.
Only reason I stayed
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 23, 2018
My manager, the maintenance tech was the only reason I worked there as long as I did. Great guy, great to work with, very knowledgeable about his job. Besides that, upper management was awful, employees were slow and customers were rude.
Pros
Maintenance tech
Cons
everyone else
Learning experience
Server/Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJanuary 23, 2018
I started out as a server and left as a manager. I enjoyed working with the customers and other employees. Management became an issue. I was relocated to Lafayette then laid off due to administrative reconstruction.
Pros
customers, laid back atmosphere
Cons
lack of consistancy in management and supervisory personnel
Excellent overall
IT Support (Current Employee) –  Westlake, OHJanuary 21, 2018
I have an excellent manager, and that makes it very easy for me to enjoy my job. TA overall doesn't have great benefits especially when compared to local businesses and what they offer, but they do have decent benefits. The work/life balance is worth more than these benefits that they don't have, so you can enjoy your own personal time or time with family, that most jobs don't offer.
Pros
Life Work Balance
Cons
Benefits lack
I did not like that i could not change shifts after the evening shift did not work for me.
Fuel Desk Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sayre, OKJanuary 21, 2018
Could have had better management. When asking for help in learning different machines such as western union, the manager made it very difficult to learn procedure.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TravelCenters of America. Our community is ready to answer.