Travelex

Travelex Employer Reviews

a
Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee), new york, new yorkJanuary 10, 2014
This is a large company at which you can learn a lot since the environment is more of a small office feel.
Great place
Sr Sales Analyst/ Business Development Lead (Former Employee), Palo Alto, CAJanuary 6, 2014
Good Technical Knowledge
Great Team
Great Management
Good Knowledge Sharing
Built a great team
Never a dull moment working at Travelex
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), San Francisco, CADecember 28, 2013
Pros: airport location
Cons: commute was terrible
Balance a great amount of different Currency, from all around the world. I learned a lot about sales working for travelex. Management was outstanding, co-workers were great. The hardest part of the job was the 2 hour commute everyday. Great Management, great co-workers..
Poor job, poor pay
Global foreign exchange specialist (Current Employee), west midlandsNovember 17, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything.
Only been working at a supermarket bureau for a couple months. Horrific how Travelex treat their staff. Pressure to sell sell sell. and when we don't sell, or meet our targets asked why we haven't sold anything and treat it likes it our own fault. Pressure to sell Cash Passports and Travellers cheques and to talk to customers and ask them 1000 questions – more... before you can give the currency to customers. makes me and the customer feel uncomfortable.

meant to have 30 day checks where you talk to the team leaders. Had my 30,60,90 day review done in one day. didn't realise we had objectives to meet. and being "observed". which is stupid as the most time ive spent with my team leader was the doing my training (if you can call it that) when i first started the job. so i dont have a clue how i can be observed. I was then told my probation was to be extended for another month. This is due to not talking to customers even though my sales and product sales are up to scratch. so clearly im doing something right.

Recently was told that i had to transfer to another bureau. I have a drivers licence but don't have contact with a car. this will make my journey in total of approx 2 hours there and 2 hours back with a total of 6 buses. When asked if i could think about the fact i was moving to another bureau and get back to her with my answer was told "No, the decision has been made. You haven't a choice". I was left pretty fuming. as buses are not cheap, i would spend most of my wages on getting to and from work (what with the poor pay). Im a 21 year old who has just returned from University so income is important right now. Couple of phone calls later was asked if i was happy with the decision, i was not and told her so and said i was not moving to the other bureau. was told by my team leader that she would fight for me to stay at the bureau i am at. Couple of hours later got sent an email with a new rota in. Complety wiped out of the bureau i work at and added in the bureau they want me to work for. even after telling her i was not moving to the other bureau. Now its making me feel like that if i dont go to this other bureau that i havent got a job at the bureau im working for now.

all in all don't accept employment. I am trying to get out this mess but having no luck. – less
Meet fun interesting travelers, exchange their currency and hear great stories!
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Newark, NJNovember 12, 2013
Great place to work, I met amazing travelers, learned about they countries they visited and had a overall great work experience.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), memphis, tnOctober 10, 2013
Pros: awesome work environment
Very flexible work hours
management was great
Very understanding manager
self paced learning environment
Foriegn currency exchange
basic business services, such as western union transactions, storage, etc...
Always interesting.
SALES CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Newark, New JerseyAugust 31, 2013
There is never a dull moment as I work in the airport so there are always new challenges and interesting travelers to look at.
Worse job I have ever had
Manager (Former Employee), Dublin, CAJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: decent pay, at first
Cons: zero appreciation, and no support from hr
Complete lack of leadership at the senior level, zero work/life balance, and impossible expectations. Hard work is not rewarded, and management will steal ideas of employees, and present them as their own. Senior management will also take credit for cost saving ideas, which were driven by subordinates.
jobs
Cashier (Former Employee), Kenner, LAOctober 15, 2012
Pros: geting to meet all kinds of new people
Cons: earned “top seller” for two consecutive quarters in 2011.
Travelex was a very exciting place to work i've learn alot working there Recording all information that’s required, Filing Documents and Receiving Order's. Organized weekly sales reports for the sales department to track product success. Answered questions regarding store and products, while maintaining knowledge of current sales and store promotions. – more... current
over all I've learn alot from all my past jobs, – less
Best job ever!
Sales Associate (Former Employee), San Diego, CASeptember 19, 2012
Pros: early hours
Cons: sometimes had to work alone
I enjoyed working for Travelex and was always happy there. There were incentives for making goals and the people were great.
Interesting
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Cleveland, OHAugust 13, 2012
Pros: learning about different cultures and money
Cons: currency exchanging is not very consistent depending on traveling seasons.
Working at Travelex you meet people of many different cultures. It is great and the diversity in people is something I will always remember
Expect to be treated like an adult.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Jamaica, NYJuly 13, 2012
Pros: lots of independence.
Cons: there are many shifts that end well into the night.
A typical day at Travelex would be seeing your foreign and domestic cash balances and making note of whats available to be sold. You learn how to find nuanced ways of upselling and that even small sales can become huge if you educate the customer properly. Expect to be given lots of independence branches don't have a supervisor there 24/7 but rather – more... your expected to drive results through sales performance. Hardest part of the job would be being able to keep busy during the slow times without any foot traffic, and the most enjoyable would be all the different kinds of people you'll meet by working at the airport. – less
Easy and Complicated At the Same Time
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 22, 2012
Some locations are very busy due to customer volume, but other locations are also slow due to lack of customers. Management is nice and helpful. Overall, the environment is chaotic.
Too much responsibility, not enough pay.
Travel Money advisor (Former Employee), EnglandJune 9, 2014
Pros: breaks, flexibility, great staff, full training, a lot off communication, incentives, bonus, overtime.
Cons: small pay for amount of responsibility in a busy bureau, lack of support from some staff, but not all!
Travelex has a LOT of lovely staff who made my experience one to remember and really enjoyable. The staff and training can not be faulted.
However, if busy, too much responsibility is asked and very little pay. No recognition on things which should be appraised, only negatives which is de-motivating. Managerial system - some managers have full support – more... behind you 100%, others don't. Which again makes you feel de-valued when hierarchy don't recognise that everyone needs support to be "one team"
I would recommend this job as it depends what managerial structure you get. Couldn't be more thankful for the experience and opportunities the company have given me. – less
productive and fun to work with many incentives
Sales Representative (Former Employee), London, ENGJune 7, 2014
Pros: 70% disscount in our meal + bonuses
Cons: 4 on 4 off 12 hours shift
Over all I enjoyed working at the airport
and Ilove my job.
I learned to be more proffesional when talking and dealing with different people.
Management I love It.
With my work colleague they wre friendly.
And most enjoyable part of my job is when Im on the top seller list of the month.
High expectations of employees with little in return
Travel Money Advisor (Current Employee), London, UKApril 23, 2014
Pros: experience handling cash and gaining knowledge of foreign currency
Cons: poor work/life balance, insufficient training, high pressure and stress, low wages
The Travel Money Advisor role largely involves dealing with customers and duties pertaining to their orders for currency, although some paperwork is also involved. However, it is common to spend a significant part of your day doing absolutely nothing.

Bureaus are understaffed and hours are erratic, unsociable, and frequently long; employees are expected – more... to work most weekends, provide cover and overtime, and often work eleven hour days. Staff are not paid for any work done after closing, meaning that most TMAs probably amass several unpaid hours of work a month. Work/life balance is practically nonexistent as the hours you are expected to work make it close to impossible to make social plans.

TMAs are pressured by management to sell Cash Passports and Buy Back Guarantees, despite the vast majority of customers having no interest in these products. While most customers are amiable, many are awkward, demanding, rude and occasionally aggressive. Training is largely nonexistent, and you are expected to teach yourself on the job, or rely on guidance and advice from other colleagues or management. The lack of training and experience can cause problems with difficult or impatient customers.

The long and awkward hours combined with the day-to-day duties the work entails makes the job stressful and draining, and a large amount of time off is spent recovering mentally and physically from being at work. At little over minimum wage pay is poor in relation to what the job entails, and there is no remuneration (other than expenses) for providing cover or working overtime.

I am already considering my options despite only being employed by Travelex a couple of months. Avoid. – less
Come Fly With Me...
Foreign Exchange Cashier (Former Employee), HeathrowMarch 4, 2014
Pros: free money (only joking!)
Cons: rock-bottom pay, terrible shift patterns, little or no support, stressful working environment, very little acknowledgment for the hard work of 'front end' staff.
I worked for Travelex as a Foreign Exchange Cashier at Heathrow, following 2 weeks' prior training.
This was probably the most stressful job I have ever had - I'm amazed I managed to stay there for 6 weeks (by which time enough was enough).
Bad pay, awful 4-on, 2-off weekly shifts (spent the 2 'off' days always feeling absolutely shattered), some very – more... miserable & unsupportive team members and a very busy and stressful environment where one is basically thrown in at the deep end!

Having said that, there were some colleagues who seemed to enjoy the work and had been there for years, so maybe it's horses for courses too. I just found that it wasn't worth all the effort, reponsibily and putting up with rude members of the public to make it worthwhile. – less
Very friendly co-workers but strict management.
Sales consultant (Former Employee), Toronto, Ont.February 27, 2014
My typical day at work is foreign currency exchange for travelers, at the airport. I learned currency rates during work. Travelex has very strict management. The co-workers are very friendly. I have to be very careful counting money accurately. It was enjoyable seeing new faces everyday.
very flexible in all kinds of work.
Sales Consultant (Current Employee), Manama BahrainFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: many over time
Cons: long hours duty
A very challenging work in fast food and money exchange that I've gone through. I learned how to have a good customer service to increase sales and to adopt customers of their needs, Its very nice to work in a team where you can share different ideas and opinions. The hardest pat of my job is when your not doing anything at all like your only waiting – more... for customers for you to serve, and the most enjoyable part of the job is when there is team work and cooperation among all team mates. – less
Hard work but good work
Travel money adviser (Former Employee), Didcot, ENGFebruary 13, 2014
serving customers completing and filing paperwork. updating rate board. how to work out the exchange rate and what other currencies look like and the currency code. The management were available by phone or email. the co workers were great and friendly and gave support when needed. The hardest part of the job was dealing with complaints which were few. – more... A busy and fruitful day. – less

1 2 3

About Travelex

Foreign exchange is at the heart of our business. We make at least one foreign exchange transaction a second which means that – Read more

Travelex Photos