Travers Tool Employee Reviews

People were great
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYJanuary 25, 2017
Management doesn't have a clue about what goes on in the warehouse. Warehouse staff is very helpful and friendly, Warehouse Supervisor on the other hand does have a clue, plays the favorite card and doesn't know how to talk to employees and handle matters professionally. Promises of advancement when being over worked is obvious and never follows through.Hires people not fit for leading position or positions held.
Pros
Friendly, monthly birthday cakes, unlimited coffee
Cons
Short breaks, non paid vacation days, terrible warehouse supervisor, pay is very lacking
Working with 'my second family'
Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 25, 2016
I get to work early, just as the building is opening and the first hour is typically reviewing emails and getting projects in place for myself and my staff, who are like family to me. I can't say enough about what great people work here- really hard working, supportive, fun professionals who are able to balance the job and their life. The workload is heavy since you wear a lot of hats, but thats probably one of the best things about working here. You are constantly learning and being challenged. It's not monotonous at all- I like that I never feel like I'm going through the motions.
Pros
Great people, free lunches, some parties
Cons
healthcare is a bit pricey
September 6, 2016

We agree that we have an amazing team of people here at Travers. Thank you for your review, and your hard work. Please know that we make every effort to provide affordable, good insurance to protect both you and your family. With healthcare steadily on the rise, we absorb as much of the cost as possible and review our health plan on a yearly basis in an effort to provide you with competitive benefits and coverage.

A very learning filled environment.
Warehouse associate (Current Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAMarch 7, 2016
Work starts with a cycle count (inventory bin checks). Then orders are pulled and packaged for shipping. Next warehouse transfers are received and binned or allocated if need be. I've learned quite a lot about shipping and receiving at this job. My co-workers are extremely helpful since we are a small team of three. It would be greatly appreciated if management played a bigger role in our daily routine. An open door policy and an approachable management staff would be beneficial to our over all success at this company.
Pros
Great benefits, opportunity to gain experience.
Cons
Poor management, lack of communication by management, no opportunity to move up in the company.
Very Unpleasant Environment
Sales (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SCFebruary 13, 2015
Most coworkers are great people who work very hard with very little to show for it. The company has been in business for 90 years, however I don't believe the owners have a clue what is truly going on or how to get the company profitable again. The main decision makers are out of Flushing, NY which makes it challenging, at best. That being said, here are a few highlights:

Compensation: Significantly lower than others companies in the same industry offer.
Health Insurance: Offered, but the employees' portion is expensive. (Employee only medical/dental is around $230/mth)
Commissions: Constantly changing. Goals are often unrealistic and people don't consistently make them. (AKA $0 commission)
Turn Overs: Constant revolving door in most all departments (the entire inside and outside sales department, the "inbound" call center, purchasing, warehouse associates, marketing, accounting, etc.) - People have either been with Travers forever (20%) or they are looking for a new and better opportunity (80%).
Meetings/Training: Constant, 3-4 times a week. Either product training, sales training, refresher classes, sales meetings, general info meetings, etc. Both a good and bad thing. Good on the product knowledge aspect. Bad when you have 50 calls to make, 3 hours of talk time to get, numerous problems to fix and you go over the same info over and over and over again.
Pricing/Inventory: You don't get a significant amount of the business because you are either over priced or you don't carry what the customer needs. If you do offer the product, don't bet on it actually being in
  more... stock.
Shipping Accuracy: Shot in the dark.
Stable Company: Depends on your standards.

Looking back, I would have gotten out a lot sooner than I did. In closing, I would sum this up as, "enter at your own risk."
Pros
A paycheck. Other "low totem pole" coworkers. Occasional Free Lunches (two per year by Travers), a little more often from the vendors on "training" days.
Cons
Upper Management is dreadful and under qualified, at best.
September 6, 2016

We're sorry to hear that your experience with us hasn't been as pleasant or fulfilling as we strive to create here. We rely on your input, both positive and negative, to review our policies and make changes when necessary. We are listening and encourage you to keep the feedback coming.

Nice people and environment to work with.
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  College Point, NYFebruary 6, 2014
I worked in this company for 13 years. There is a nice environment in a very busy office. Tasks are different every day of the week. The cycle finished mailing checks and filing invoices.
Pros
Competitive benefits
Cons
Very short breaks
September 6, 2016

Thanks for your review and for your years of service. We strive to create a pleasant work environment that challenges you and is also fun. We have recently increased company sponsored events, both internal and external, to improve and encourage a more healthy work/life balance.

Travers Tool Co., Inc. is a family feeling environment with a diverst culture
Expeditor (Former Employee) –  128-15 26 ave, Flushing NY 11354December 24, 2013
My day at work was very busy and quite, I learn how to communicate in a professional manner through emails. Management was understanding towards employees. I had a close co-worker at Travers that was caring and supportive. The hardest part of the job was when my work became slow. My most enjoyable part of the job was communicating with vendor over the phone or via emails.
Pros
free coffee and tea
Cons
short lunch hours
Professional with Family Touch
Inventory Control Manager, Warehouse Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYFebruary 10, 2013
Very comfortable and nurturing atmosphere. Realistic potential to work entire career at this place of business. Elite, value driven company; one to be revered in today's increasing watered down economic and social culture.
Pros
good management, solid company, good benefits
Great coworkers
Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYNovember 29, 2012
I was in charge of AR and reconciliation of multiple bank accounts.My direct supervisor was always willing to help, on the other hand management barely even knew your name.
was a good place till bad leadership
Assistant warehouse manager (Former Employee) –  Duncan, SCMay 16, 2012
they dont pay enough for what they ask and then they fire you fron new york. everything good about this job got systematically removed one the new managment took over
Cons
alot
Fun and enjoyable
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Flushing, NYApril 14, 2012
A typical day at work operating a forklift pulling orders for the next morning

What did I learn? How to do my job? Fast and correctly

Management was great they just let us do your job and check up on us from time to time.

My co-workers was fun to be around and they was every helpful.

The hardest part of the job was the grave yard shift.

The most enjoyable of the job was that I got to drive the forklift all night long.
Pros
i got drive a forklift all night
Cons
the grave yard shift
Equipped cafeteria
Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  College Point, New YorkMarch 1, 2012
Well managed organization
Heavy clientele
Professional staff
Customer oriented
Upward mobility(worker)
Pros
1-hr. lunch, healthcare
Cons
no uniforms