Travis County

Travis County United States Employee Reviews

Excellent
Subject matter expert (Former Employee), Austin, TXApril 1, 2015
Pros: benefits, retirements, great pay, and off on weekends.
The County is a great place to work and the benefits are amazing. The pay also a plus if you have a good position. Also have some kind of experience or degree can help you land a good position.
MEDICAL EXAMINER'S OFFICE
Forensic Medical Investigator (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 23, 2015
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: non existent management, chief investigator doesn't back her employees
This office is very poorly managed, they don't tell you are hired on a trial basis until you move your family to Austin. Then they tell you and begin threatening your job for 3 months and then tell you your not needed. Then your stuck trying to support your family. The staff of investigators are extremely self centered and won't back each other up.
Ground Tech II (Former Employee), Austin, TXMarch 17, 2015
Pros: working outside
Cons: heat
Responsible for maintaining grounds.
Operates large high-power equipment.
Perform minor maintenance and repairs.
Work with minimum supervision
Act as back up to the lead
decent job with benefits, has its perks and dangers too
Kitchen Cook (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 4, 2015
Pros: free meals, decent pay compared to other jobs, medical insurance, good hours, vacation/sick time
Cons: small team with commensurate work, sometimes understaffed
I'm a cook at this facility and usually a day goes pretty smooth. I learned how to make food for about 200 people per meal. Your managers are pretty easy to get along and work with, nobody talks down to you and usually they are available to help you out or answer your questions. The hardest part of being a cook there is organizing what you have to do all in your head first before actually cooking. It helps you to be more efficient. The best part is that most of the time it feels like a "cafeteria lady" job when you are serving food to the juveniles. Of course sometimes the kids will act up and cause an incident or an altercation and then you remember where you are, a jail for kids, and the guards have to retrain the instigators.
so much for that...
MA (Former Employee), austinJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: pay?
Cons: distance, miscommunication
Had a temp job... thought I was doing great, then was told funds weren't approved... then the very next day the position I was working for was posted on here.... a lot of miscommunication.. I was very confused and rather upset because I enjoyed working there, but apparently I was either "too expensive " or not what they were looking for..
Great benefits
PLANNER (Former Employee), AustinAugust 10, 2014
Pros: ability to have a flexible schedule, conputer training
Cons: any luncheons or food or water or coffee is on you! even the fridge has to be bought by employees.
Nice people, nice boss, great benefits and retirement. Schedule is flexible depending on the job.
Productive work environment
Court Clerk (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 28, 2014
A typical day at work was always busy. We had a high call volume of jurors. We were also open to the public, we processed U.S. Passports for U.S. citizens. I learned alot about the court systems and how the jurors were summoned.
County has good benifits
Deputy Constable (Former Employee), Austin, TXMay 21, 2014
Had a great time working at the department and doing the field work that I was assigned to do.
Job Interview
Corrections (Current Employee), Del valleMarch 9, 2014
Application process for corrections is somewhat long. written and physical testing is done onsite. most importantly is be truthful with the investigator and everything is down hill. oral board was scary but made it through. They will tell you on the spot if you made it or not. after that smooth sailing. good starting salary. Good luck
Productive and fun place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 2, 2014
I am the first point of contact that greets customers in the Texas Agrilife Extension department. I answer a multi line phone, greet our customers and assist them with their inquiries. I receive and distribute incoming mail and packages. I am in charge of ordering copier paper and copy supplies as needed. When time sheets arrive, I disseminate them accordingly and ensure they are returned on time. I am also responsible for ensuring the phone log’s are disseminated and returned with in two weeks. I receive copy and distribute mileage/travel checks. I prepare the address labels for the outgoing unit envelopes and post cards. I file incoming correspondence alphabetically. I utilize the office computer to perform data entry and maintain department information. I assist the master gardener’s with scheduling other volunteer’s to assist with answering the master gardener volunteer phone line. I maintain the list of requested supplies and forward it to my supervisor for her review and order. Keep a schedule of our TTVN (Trans-Texas Video conference Network) and make sure that it is set up prior to scheduled appointments. I am one of the primary people who keeps up with our inventory for Travis County and Texas A&M. I keep up our postage and order supplies as needed. I help make postcards for Extension agents programs; I help register people who come in to sign up for a Private Applicator License class. I type mileage for agents and make sure they are turned in on time, so they can get their refund check in a timely manner. I put in work orders if there is something that needs fixing – more... in our office. After putting in a work order and I see no one has come out I follow up with facilities to see when the problem will be fixed. I order postage supplies as needed as well as putting postage on the our out going mail. I assist with Scheduling vans for agents and the 4H Americorps after school programs. I receive Agents Highlight reports at the beginning of the month and make sure they are all formatted the same and once I have made the necessary changes I put them together and make sure there are no mistakes and then send them to the director. I assist all other departments as needed. – less
Productive Workplace
Assistant Purchasing Agent III (Current Employee), Austin, TXOctober 14, 2013
Great place to work. Nice benefits. The work we do here benefits the constituents of Travis County and surronding counties
ok place
Court Operations Officer (Current Employee), Austin, TXJune 4, 2013
typical day consist of court duties/court staff, assisting the public & attorneys in person or via phone, preparing & editing orders/letters and researching case files.
Great experience
Intern Office Assistant (Former Employee), Austin, TxJune 1, 2012
I did extensive research. The hardest assignment was the health issues speech. And the most enjoyable was the pep assignment.