Treasure Island Job Corps Center Employee Reviews

It was alright and at times, not the most cleanest place I worked at.
Culinary Arts Apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2017
It wasn't very clean, a few times i would go to clean under some carpets and would find maggots, because the normal people who work in the area didn't clean vary well.
a typical day at work
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 24, 2015
A typical day involves fast moving, fast thinking, book work, study hard and hands on hands training. Mostly including how to patrol as a security guard.
Pros
Free living and health care provided
Cons
Getting 20 dollars every two weeks
Electrical Pre-Apprenticeship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 15, 2015
Trade school created by the Department of labor. Very well structured, lots or rules and procedures to follow, need to manage time very well.
Treasure Island Job Corps
Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 14, 2015
My experience at treasure island I learn so much there working with Microsoft word, excel and power point, adobe etc.
How to work the printer and filling.
The staff were easy to talk and help with what ever I needed.
Student (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 15, 2014
I was a student the school was a good place and the staff helped whenever I needed it. Lived in a dormitory and had three roommates. The center has a farm to teach us about farm to plate.
I like to schwedule 3pm -12am
Senior Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 22, 2013
worked from 3pm - 12am, Monday- Friday, Briefing with staff, reading log entries from last shift, dorm meetings, room check for cleanliness. Managers were great, they come to the dorms and was in contact with us. co-worker were hard workers and did there jobs.
The hard thing I had to do was to do performance evaluations on a staff person who was not doing there job. I enjoyed the hours and the students we served.
Pros
Great hours
treasure island job corps is a vocational training facility
Culinary Arts Apprentice (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 2, 2013
There is a total of six classes that you have to pass to graduate. The classes are Food &Beverage, Garde Manger, Baking, Pastry, Bistro, and Fine Dining. each class was two months long.
Student Employee
Culinary Arts Student (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 10, 2012
I was a student at the Treasure Island Job corps center in their advanced culinary arts trade. We did mostly hands on training and got paid $47.03 every two weeks. As a culinary student/employee i was involved in production for caterings and providing food through our fine dinning kitchen accompanied by a group of my peers. In the advanced program we really got exposed to different cuisine and styles of cooking while continuing to develope the skills we learn at our previous center for basic culinary arts training.
It was a positive experience that I learned a lot and grew from.
Server/Cook (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CaJuly 13, 2012
A typical day of work was wake up at 6am, breakfast by 6:45am. Finish eating and and be in the kitchen by 8:00 am. 8:30 the chef/instructor arrives and everyone is is briefed on today's dishes that will be prepared for lunch. Food is prepped, cooked and "plated" by 11:30am for lunch. Once lunch is served we clean and do the same for dinner and we're off by 3.
Pros
free meals, first pick on good food.
Cons
working for no money but for room and board. unruly trainees.
Pros and cons, but I still appreciated the training.
Food & Beverage, Garde Manger, AM (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 30, 2012
After finishing Pine Knot Job Corps, Treasure Island was...different.
I enjoyed that we had more to work with, and being able to explore the city was amazing. I wouldn't recommend the going if you're the type to up and quit from the first negative situation you're in. But as a completely free program with training, and if you really want to work in the food industry, go for it. I learned the importance of taste, presentation, and working efficiently.
Pros
dedicated instructors, the program requires no charge, just dedication.
Cons
usually refer it as a live in high school, some staff are rather questionable

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Treasure Island Job Corps Center. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2