TREASURE ISLAND JOB CORPS Employee Reviews in United States

challenging yet productive
Adv Culinary Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 24, 2015
Treasure Island is a governmentally funded Trade School. I was a trainee in the advanced culinary arts, as trade started on Monday we would review what our assignment was for the week, wash and get to work. I learned how to follow directions of the chef and how the best way to prepare food from all over the country. my fellow students where a diverse group, so getting to know them just increased my understanding of how different every kitchen really is. The hardest part about Treasure Island was that at the end of the day we all slept in the same dorm building. I most liked the challenge of learning new recipes.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
dorm life
Productive while being comfortable.
Receptionist Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2015
While working at the reception desk, I had fun helping new trainees and staff alike with anything they needed. There was always something to do, whether for the current assignment or preparing for the next assignment. The phone calls I had to answer were nice and respectful, but also rude and irritating. However, I kept my composure and helped all callers to the best of my ability. The scheduling was not a problem. My supervisor was very understanding on days I requested off for personal or training matters.
Pros
Good experience, flexible schedule, patient supervisors willing to help
Cons
Many rude callers, rude guests
Yee i Love it
Security Guard, Welcome Booth (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2015
-Good opportunity to help communities of under served populations from a wide variety of locations from Puerto Rico to Samoa and the 50 states in between; rural and urban for advanced training.
-The bad is government management by an old bureaucracy that is incompetent, subcontracting the work to for profit companies.
-The beautiful is seeing a motivated student succeed by getting a good start in a career building a future for business and family.
Flexible
Career Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 22, 2015
Great opportunity for growth of my professional skill-set working with youth and administrative duties.
My co-workers are great and management is very supportive.
Good, Bad and Beautiful
AT Solar Instructor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2014
fun and productive workplace with rec center
Advance Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2013
a typical workday would start out with roll call and then move on to training in the kitchen, cooking pretty much anything, at the end of the work day we would clean up the kitchen and do the dishes in a three compartment sink. the things we learned were things such as cleaning and setting up a salad bar, working in a cafeteria, fixing meals for a extremely large crowd, and catering for a modest size crowd. management was well balanced.my co-workers were rather interesting because you get to meet people from different parts of the country and the world. the most enjoyable part of my day is sitting at breakfast, launch, dinner, or just hanging around with the friends that I made and talking
Pros
free meals, an assortment of people, friendly staff, beatiful scenery and a wide range of activity
Cons
pretty muchnon existent health insurance
Productive work place where you can literally live and learn
Cemnt Mason/Laborer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 31, 2013
A typical day was to wake up, shower and shave get some breakfast, attend the morning meeting to see what work needs to be done if the work before was already completed the day before and get to work. Management was fine. They taught me how to supervise and manage my fellow employees which i did on a day to day. My co-workers were a bit emotionally unstable and loved to gossip for the most part but i kept that to a bare minimum to finish the tasks at hand, correctly and on time. The hardest part of the job was deciding to take a break. As in when there is a deadline that has to be met and you are under staffed it is absolutely necessary to work with a few breaks as possible. However just to clarify I did allow my team to take breaks when it was absolutely necessary. The most enjoyable part of my job was to see my co-workers and my employees actually enjoying the work that they do.
Pros
free breakfast, lunch and dinner
Trade school life
Culinary Arts Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 25, 2015
Great program to learn about the culinary world and get started within the industry. Opportunity to earn a lot of certifications and a lot of training and experience.
Pros
place to live, free meals, no bills
Cons
very little pay, too many restrictions
Productive training center
National Training Contractor Program (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2015
I've been here for a little under a year now and I've made a lot of progress. I came here with no diploma, and pretty much no proof of education period... I'm now a high school graduate and have completed a program provided by the UBC. I will soon be a local 22 Union worker in San Francisco as an apprentice-carpenter.

Job Corp has brought me a long way.
Pros
free meals, free education, free room and board.
Cons
bad staff, unwelcoming staff, ignorant trainees
Productive, Nice school, alot of drama, Great Program
Receptionist Internship (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 8, 2012
Typical day consist of; School&Training.
I learned that with motivation anything is possible.
The management at TIJC was a good one.
My fellow classmates were nice some were very drama filled.
The hardest part was the drama
The most enjoyable part was going to school and learning a trade
Pros
free food, shelter, clothing, education, and training
Cons
drama
Great place to work with kids who need guidiance
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMay 31, 2013
This Job is not physically hard , but it does challenge you. I am a graduate of the program and found it fulfilling to go back and share what I learned when I attended with the students there now. Everyday is unexpected, you never know what is going to happen next. The girls are lively and keep me on my toes.
Pros
beautiful location, good benefits
great place to be introduced to different cultures
Culinary Arts Student Employee (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 25, 2014
Great school to learn required skills to get a job. I am enrolled here at the school. The staff are communicative and patient. There are many different cultures here that you are introduced to and the students are accepting and respectful.
Great balance of school work, physical training and job training
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 15, 2014
Morning workout regimen consists of running, push ups, sit ups and followed by an instructional workout video (ie. insanity).
I learned so many so many ways to keep my cool during an altercation and to diffuse a bad situation due to the quality of my training in security. The hardest part of working security would be aggressive and unpredictable assailants. The most fun I have would be the physical training.
A great place to work and be an assest to youth moving in a positive direction
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 23, 2014
Being employed here I have it has been a great pleasure working with my coworkers and the young adults that come and go through the program. Its always a wonderful thing to have a positive influence on someone else's life.
Good place to meet new poeple
Job Corps Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 11, 2014
Go to class, learn about your trade teachers are great well versed and great knowledge if you are willing to learn. Because of the various ages other students may be a little immature but as easy as it is to get into the wrong crowd its just as easy to mind your own and push through. Great opportunity to learn and network
Pros
government paid for
Cons
immiture students
Working with trainees to better their futures
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 21, 2014
The day in the life of Job corps changes each day. Some days were very laid back and some days where very hectic. I would have to sit in on student board meetings and determine if the student could stay in the program or be terminated. There were many fights, drugs and alcohol findings, sexual activities etc.
Pros
loved the students
Cons
wages
A wonderful experience in my life. If I had a the opportunity to do it again I will.
Front Desk Administrative Assistant, Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 27, 2012
Treasure Island Job Corps was a vacational school. I lived and traded as an office assistant. I learned many skills there, as for managing my time, learning responsible, and being indepentent.
Pros
free meals and housing
not exactly a job
Pay line Security Officer / security cadet (Former Employee) –  san francisco, CAJune 20, 2012
TIJC( treasure island job corps) isnt a job its a program you go to so you can get traning for diffrent types of jobs. I feel that job corpswas a fun and educational place to go to if your feeling down on your luck or need a new start in life
Pros
free lunch and room
Cons
bad pay
I didnt enjoy myself
Office Assistant Training (Former Employee) –  Treasure Island,Sanfrancisco caNovember 6, 2013
I didn't feel like they lived up to what is advertise on t.v etc. I came there in 2008 so maybe now they may have a whole new staff and so I can't really speak on them due to me not being there when the new staff took on the center.
Pros
they pay you every two weeks
Cons
you dont get paid much at all.
I was an nice work place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 20, 2013
I liked working with some of the people there. because it was a friendly place. the coworkers didnt mind doing for one another.