TREASURE ISLAND JOB CORPS Employee Reviews

Experience of a Lifetime
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 7, 2017
Meet new people and learn new skills about the security field. Taught how to be an effective Supervisor. Learned payroll procedures, and how to manage multiple employees.
Communication with management is very poor. Some supervisors are very unprofessional. Complaining about such supervisors will go no where. As the supervisors are always right in the eyes of upper management.
Good company to work for. For the most part. Some supervisors are ok. Certain positions in upper management could be reevaluated.
Good
Cons
Can't complain
Simple but tough. As student workers we had little benefits, and staff weren't always understanding when it came to our demanding schoolwork.
Prep/Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 6, 2017
It was simple work, but required being on our feet 12 hours a day. The shifts were generally 4 hours directly following our 8 hour hands-on cooking classes in the on campus restaurant. The staff there hired on students over anyone that lived outside the island. The staff were overall friendly people, it was just the environment that seemed to drain that energy at no fault of theirs. Most issues I have with working in the kitchen are due to the school leadership, not the kitchen's, as class and work were back-to-back, but class was always to be prioritized. That led to some unavoidable conflict.
There was no room for improvement, and I found the culinary program flawed in that there was too much wasted in the kitchen that could be put to better use. I overall felt I was walking away with less than what I was putting my time and effort in for. Gaining near to no knowledge while working an allotted 12 hours and only being paid minimum wage for 4. Ultimately, I decided to leave and pursue my education elsewhere. This can be elaborated on upon request.

To diffuse any confusion, I give the kitchen I was employed under 5/10
I give the school I was attending that the kitchen was located in 3/10
Pros
Free lunch, friendly staff, easy commute
Cons
No benefits, minimum wage, overworked, little free time
It was slow, unorginized and chaotic.
Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I never really enjoyed Treasure Island Job Corps because of all the unfair treatment, other than that it was constantly under chaos. It was never the fit for me.
Great Learning expierence
Security Guard, Welcome Booth (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 19, 2016
A typical day would be clocking people in n out throughout the day and escorting important business people to offices on campus.
Pros
co-workers were helpful
Cons
short staff
Work enviroment and training
National Training Contractor Program (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 2, 2016
Instructors taught us tricks and tips of the Carpentry career Area. I learned and received all of my certifications from power tools to window installation. Class was well managed and were all given opportunities to gain knowledge of the Carpentry field.
Always Room For Improvement , A Workplace Made For Taking Iniative
Painter Apprentice (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CANovember 14, 2016
My coworkers is very helpful and they are the type of people you can count on to help you if they see that you need help. The hardest thing is to have a busy day and still get the job done in this trade as well as other trades and everyday lifestyles this is mandatory, I enjoy overlooking my task after I completed it as well as teamwork tasks.
trades & educations
Security Guard (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 22, 2016
breakfast, trade or academics ,after 3;15 free like a bird . you learn a lot of new things they have about 9 trades on treasure island job corps right now. the management was kind if iffy but once things were settled everything on campus was better. my peers are diverse and we come from different parts of California. The hardest thing would be waking up and leaving the floor on time.
Excellent Place To Work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 25, 2016
Treasure Island Job Corps taught me what I know today.
Landscaping, Home and Work Maintenance, How to supervise a team of hard workers. The Instructors are very focused on getting the jobs done.
Pros
Great View of the Bay
Cons
Island Breeze
Job Corps
Residential Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CA 94130August 22, 2016
Overall great place to start. The students are awesome as long as you give them respect and show that you are really there to help them through their journey. Management, and Staff rentention needs to be addressed in a serious manner, Pay-rate is decent,
Was not bad
Culinary Specialist (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJuly 21, 2016
I dont have anything bad to say. While I was there I had multiple learning experiences in all aspects that taught me how to deal with certain people even when they're not doing their jobs right and to make the best out of your work experience
Pros
Leaning
Cons
productive with the pool table
Basic chef (Former Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CAJuly 15, 2016
My review from Job Corp was ok didnt to much like it , but i completed my culinary trade. i just love cooking. my instructor was very amazing with her preformance in the kitchen.
productive good learning exp with faulty info managment
Security Guard, Welcome Booth (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 13, 2016
Helps get certifications good personal experience treats employees like people help with finding a place to live getting a head start in a career of choice and develop professional behavior and organization skills
Pros
free living, clothing, meals, education, and certifications
Cons
poor helth care, clensleness, and employee info managment
Its a good beginning job
Counselor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Its a good place to start, but not to finish management is not the friendless or concerned with your needs.
Work is long
Learned much on my own no proper training
Co workers are mostly okay
challenging yet productive
Adv Culinary Trainee (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 24, 2015
Treasure Island is a governmentally funded Trade School. I was a trainee in the advanced culinary arts, as trade started on Monday we would review what our assignment was for the week, wash and get to work. I learned how to follow directions of the chef and how the best way to prepare food from all over the country. my fellow students where a diverse group, so getting to know them just increased my understanding of how different every kitchen really is. The hardest part about Treasure Island was that at the end of the day we all slept in the same dorm building. I most liked the challenge of learning new recipes.
Pros
free room and board
Cons
dorm life
Productive while being comfortable.
Receptionist Intern (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 4, 2015
While working at the reception desk, I had fun helping new trainees and staff alike with anything they needed. There was always something to do, whether for the current assignment or preparing for the next assignment. The phone calls I had to answer were nice and respectful, but also rude and irritating. However, I kept my composure and helped all callers to the best of my ability. The scheduling was not a problem. My supervisor was very understanding on days I requested off for personal or training matters.
Pros
Good experience, flexible schedule, patient supervisors willing to help
Cons
Many rude callers, rude guests
Flexible
Career Transition Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 22, 2015
Great opportunity for growth of my professional skill-set working with youth and administrative duties.
My co-workers are great and management is very supportive.
Trade school life
Culinary Arts Trainee (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 25, 2015
Great program to learn about the culinary world and get started within the industry. Opportunity to earn a lot of certifications and a lot of training and experience.
Pros
place to live, free meals, no bills
Cons
very little pay, too many restrictions
Yee i Love it
Security Guard, Welcome Booth (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2015
-Good opportunity to help communities of under served populations from a wide variety of locations from Puerto Rico to Samoa and the 50 states in between; rural and urban for advanced training.
-The bad is government management by an old bureaucracy that is incompetent, subcontracting the work to for profit companies.
-The beautiful is seeing a motivated student succeed by getting a good start in a career building a future for business and family.
Productive training center
National Training Contractor Program (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJanuary 21, 2015
I've been here for a little under a year now and I've made a lot of progress. I came here with no diploma, and pretty much no proof of education period... I'm now a high school graduate and have completed a program provided by the UBC. I will soon be a local 22 Union worker in San Francisco as an apprentice-carpenter.

Job Corp has brought me a long way.
Pros
Free meals, free education, free room and board.
Cons
Bad staff, unwelcoming staff, ignorant trainees
A great place to work and be an assest to youth moving in a positive direction
Residential Advisor (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 23, 2014
Being employed here I have it has been a great pleasure working with my coworkers and the young adults that come and go through the program. Its always a wonderful thing to have a positive influence on someone else's life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TREASURE ISLAND JOB CORPS. Our community is ready to answer.

TREASURE ISLAND JOB CORPS Reviews by Location