Trek Bicycle Employee Reviews

My 2nd worst job experience EVER
Retail Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, WIJanuary 23, 2017
Even after I told them in my interview that I wanted very specifically a 40-hour work week, I found out later they expected me to completely live and die for Trek Bicycle Corporation. NO work/life balance whatsoever. The workload was actually 60 plus hours per week and that is why they encourage working from home and give you your own laptop. Not as a perk but as a way to get more time and work out of you, they still expect you to be in the office for work at least 4 days per week; yeah you can also work from home one day per week...and work from home on weekends just to keep up. They load you up with retail clients way beyond anything reasonable for the average person, knowing you will work long hours nights and weekends to keep your job. It's stressful and there was very little training. You are on your own to try to figure everything out, really. The only good thing about working here was the cycling culture and the deep discounts you get on gear. Otherwise, it is not the place for you if you want to have a single moment of time with your family and/or have any social life outside of the company.
Pros
Culture, discounts, employee social events
Cons
Unmanageable workload, management expectations unreasonable
Great Business with Great People.
Marketing, Sponsorship & Event Manager (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WINovember 2, 2016
Working for Trek Bicycle was an incredible opportunity that has helped me grow from College Intern to Capable Manager. My position was an oddity as I was working remote for Ray's Indoor Bike Parks and handling several varying jobs each day-- but I wouldn't change those years for anything. I found myself most comfortable developing client relationships that were mutually beneficial and enjoyable to manage. The hardest area was alternating between the proper state of mind to handle the tasks of Sales, Creative, Accounting, Events, Marketing, Social Media, or whatever else found it's way to my desk. But that's what I signed up for with this position and while challenging as it may have been I believe I'm a more rounded person because of it.

My one criticism would be that as a large corporation with such a vast oversight in operations the Ray's business unit went largely unmanaged on a number of occasions. The Ray's business was largely autonomous however as a part of a larger operation having management check-in and give oversight from a top-down vantage point could have immensely helped focus and streamline our unit.

The most enjoyable part of this job was the ability to spread positivity and joy while making an honest dollar-- that's what I saw every day at Trek and Ray's.
Awesome company but not much opportunity for advancement.
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CASeptember 11, 2016
Monday through Wednesday are mandatory 10 hours, if needed. Smaller scales warehouse that gets you involved. Opportunity to learn the ins and outs of operations. Most of the supervisors are related in some way or have been close friends for years, so there is a conflict of interest there. Co-workers tend to be awesome but the good ones tend to leave for one reason or another. Nepotism and favoritism is a problem, making it the hardest part of the job. Also makes people believe that there is not much opportunity for advancement. Relatively easy job, that allows you to work independently.
Pros
Relatively easy
Cons
Meager bonuses
enjoyed working for trek
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, WIAugust 15, 2016
had a great super and lead, work was none stop, the team that I was on was like family, the hardest part of the job was trying to please people that had no idea of what they wanted made or done, the best parts of the job seeing all my hard work being use day to day
Pros
the boss and lead i had alway had a plan for the day
Cons
hr
Fun place to work.
Service Dept Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Downers Grove, ILJune 13, 2016
This is an excellent job to have, but not exactly a career.
I love the people and making relationships with the frequenting customers and other employees. And the mechanical aspect of the jib was fun in itself. The reason I left was because there was no where to advance to.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No room for advancement
Great People, OK Company
management (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, WIJanuary 19, 2016
Improving communication and many nice perks, especially for those interested in cycling and being actively fit.

Everyone does not matter and opinions of a few influence outcomes rather than facts and actual contributions.

Many great people, too few are actually valued.
Pros
product discounts, on-site fitness, cafe and clinic, nice retirement plan
Cons
high health care cost, micro management of budgets leads to reduced entrepreneurial spirit
Fun and challenging work environment
Business Intelligence Developer (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, WIJanuary 12, 2016
I started at Trek 19 years ago as an RPG programmer, working with the HFA ERP system, with an emphasis on the accounting systems.

I have moved into the Business Intelligence world from the ERP world.

The management at Trek is pretty hands off.

My co-workers at Trek have been great over the years and have always provided assistance when needed.

The hardest part of the job is the ever changing technical skills that are required.

The most enjoyable part of the job is that we are able to ride bikes during the working day, for exercise.
Enjoyable work with good benefits for the outdoorsman
Advanced Composites Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, WINovember 29, 2015
Most of the training for this job was done on the fly and if you didn't know how to do something or where something was, all you had to do was ask and the other employees were usually glad to help you out. Tasks often had to be sought out by speaking with co-workers. There was an emphasis on asking "how can I help" and taking the extra step to help out others. The pay was pretty low, but there was access to some pretty amazing deals on just about anything you could want outdoors related which made up for it.
terribly negative environment
employe (Current Employee) –  swedesboro njAugust 11, 2015
management is abusive towards individuals they do not like
No job security
No growth possibility dead end job
Usually hires for summer lets you go in fall
Pay raises are 1-2% if at all
Do not hire full time to avoid having to pay benefits
Negative atmosphere
Verbally abusive managers and supervisors use profanity towards employees
Brutually hot in summer and very cold in winter
Lacking in communication
Schedule changes based on needs no business no hours
Punish employees who make mistakes by cutting hours
Favoritism is rampant
management does not understand the daily procedures and causes issues do to lack of understanding
Strongly recommend you avoid this place
Pros
Cons
too many to list
fun place to work
Fork grinder (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, WIApril 20, 2015
a typical day at work was grinding bicycle forks before there where painted and assembled to the bike.
what I learned was how to make sure the forks where strait and how to use a hand grinder as well as a sand blaster.
management was good they worked along side us and did the same thing we did.
my fellow co-workers where fun to work with. the hardest part of my job there wasnt any hard part.
the most enjoyable part of my job was when I could learn and do something new.
Great benefits, not great leadership/management
Employee X (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, WIDecember 16, 2014
If you love bicycling, this is the right job for you. If you want to advance your career, look elsewhere. If you'd like a decent wage and pay increases relevant to your performance, look elsewhere.

The company's best interests are the motto, no matter how much the company advances it is not reflected in the paycheck.

Atmosphere used to be a wonderful place to work, decline over the past decade has led to significant employee turnover.
Pros
Subsidized salad bar
Cons
Little to no advancement opportunity and/or training
fun sometimes
picker/packer (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJAugust 4, 2014
It was a ok company to work for it gave out bonuses to show employee they were appreciated. It was cold in winter and hot in the summer I love working with my co-workers
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
gave apprection to employees
mismanaged
Picker (Former Employee) –  Swedesboro, NJAugust 28, 2012
Working environment is bad. Equipment is bad. Extremely physical job requiring long hours.