Tri-City Medical Center Employee Reviews

Healthy experience
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 11, 2017
Great experience to transition into other medical challenges exoectations and roles.. The staff were all motivated and worked in a collaboratively manner.
Pros
Supervision
Cons
resources
Internal growth is a challenge
Current Employee (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CASeptember 18, 2013
Once a wave of good leadership and talented employees leave a facility, the facility has the potential to implode. Layered with no merit increase incentive and failing employee satisfaction the work environment can become toxic - especially when no executive vision to improve the current situation has been verbalized. It becomes a challenge and near impossibility to grow/advance a career in such a tumultuous setting.
Pros
Great benefits package
Cons
Many departments are understaffed but work load continues to increase
Run far away from this place....the community can't even stand this place.
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CaJuly 20, 2014
No wonder this place went bankrupt a few years ago. If you are a clinician considering an internship or career here don't do it. Your ethics and morals will be tested by management and not your clients. If you also feel that having 15 min sessions with clients is appropriate then this is the place for you. Staff live in constant fear they'll be fired if they say anything against this dictatorship. Please apply elsewhere where you can actually grow as a therapist. The individual and group supervision are elementary at best.
Pros
Cons
Toxic Management, Toni (executive director) has 'splitting' tendencies, caseloads in excess of 55, I was asked to do unethical charting practices (signing off on care plans/assessments I never did), the list goes on....
Enjoyable workplace and awesome cafeteria.
Sr. Staff Accountant for Hospital, (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAApril 25, 2015
Fast paced environment during weeks of closing, I learned about physician recruitment loans & subsidiary agreements, enjoy working as part of a team, hardest part of the job is dealing with some staff that doesn't accept job criticism or opinions very well, other than that, I enjoy my inter-action with my co-workers and my job.
Pros
Great benefits, close to home
Cons
Limited oportunity for further advancement
Run!!!!!
Therapist (Former Employee) –  Pomona, caMarch 21, 2013
I was a former therapist at this agency and i was so glad the day i quit. Management is a joke and u cant complain because nothing at this agency is either confidential and borders on unethical. The clinical director is a poor leader and not open to suggestions or opinions as well as her program supervisors. Managers are all her personal friends and money is always put before client care. The children's department is micromanaged, therapist are not respected as clinicians, and supervision is a joke. Administrative concerns are key component of supervision rather than clinical discussion and conceptualization of cases. Group supervision is a one hour lecture and show and tell rather than a group led discussion on clinical concerns. Finally, they hire and fire people that go against the grain and hierarchy because a ridiculous one year probationary period which makes worrying about job security a constant. I will say one good thing... The pay is great, and unfortunately thats how they keep interns. No licensed therapist would be crazy to stat there and put up with the stress this agency inflicts on its staff.
Pros
pay is good.
Cons
everything else.
Great Mission, Poor Management
Clinical Social Worker I Adult Out Patient (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CADecember 6, 2014
I really had a deep love form my job. I had great rapport with my clients. I was able to handle many crisis and other clinical issues adequately and professionally. The most enjoyable part of the job was the interactions I had with such a diverse case load with such diverse issues. I enjoyed helping them and learning how to improve my services via clinical supervision. The most difficult part of the job was communicating effectively with administrators. The culture of the job is not too diverse and some communication strategies were offensive and gravely misunderstood. There was a lot of gossip with little resolution and some workplace bullying which caused unnecessary distress and sudden departures of quality staff. I hope that those issues will resolve themselves as the clients ultimately pay the price when they are constantly shifted from provider to provider and unable to acheive relief from their symptoms causing significant functional impairements :(.
Pros
great benefits, great benefit to community when functioning as a team
Cons
nepotism, exclusivity, poor mediation skills, work place bullying
Great pay and benefits
Environmental Service Aide (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 16, 2015
I was a housekeeper there for a little over 3 years. I enjoyed what I did, but what made it most worth-while was the benefits, the pay, and the annual raises. My least favorite part, was the hours I personally worked. I worked 3-11:30 at night, few holidays off, and only one weekend a month off. I would definitely still be there if certain personal issues didn't arise.
excellent company-good healthcare-excellent benefits
Mechanic 11 (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CASeptember 13, 2012
Excellent pay for employees-excellent benefits. I was with TCMC for 22years and had to leave to relocate to Nevada. Every two years they did a Market review for pay and practically everyone would get a nice raise on top of your annual review. Very pleased to have worked there.
Pros
just a good place to work
Cons
administration ....a new administration is now in place
Volunteer as Peer Mentor
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Pomona, CAMarch 22, 2016
• Mentor bilingual clients from diverse age backgrounds who do not qualify for mental health services.
• Connect mentees to resources in the community using community navigators.
• Track all communication with mentees and provide detailed notes on appointments.
Cons
You set your own times.
The most unprofessional HR dept on this planet
Contingent Search Recruiter (Former Employee) –  OceansideOctober 14, 2012
Don't take my word for it, look at their current management job description. It's a perfect example of how dysfunctional they are, they can't even put together a decent job description. I worked as a contingent search recruiter for Tri-City. It was the single most horrible experience I have ever had with a client. The Director in charge of recruiting never responded to anything, and always blamed other people. Everybody I spoke to, both in HR and the hiring managers whose positions I was working on all blamed the Chief HR Officer for the failures in the HR dept. Jobs are given out based on who you know, not what you know. Nepotism at its finest! This place is a joke. You're better off being unemployed than working here.
Cons
read my review, need i say more
Productive and fun workplace with great people!
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Livonia, MIDecember 3, 2012
I was able to learn a lot of skills in research and also using the new GLO-EMR system to put patient data information. I liked going out on the field everyday with the doctors using the laptop which contained the EMR system. The hardest part of the job was literally being thrown into a project, such as research, and teaching myself with a little help from the research coordinator. It was interesting and fun...I learned a lot and was able to find, screen, and qualify many patients for the research study. I met a lot of interesting people going out on the field with the doctors and helping the patients in any way that I could.
Pros
drove the company car, free lunches, learned the emr system, etc.
Cons
worked more than 40 hrs. per week and only paid 40 hrs. on salary, wasn't willing to switch me to hourly pay, etc.
Enjoyed the everchanging challenges of this position.
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CADecember 9, 2014
I cannot describe a typical day because there were no typical days. Every day presented a challenge and this is something that I enjoyed. We had a very diverse population and the work was fast paced. There were many challenges and I learned new things on almost a daily basis. Because of the populations we worked with my co-workers and I collaborated quite a bit. What one person did not know, another always did.

I enjoyed working with a treatment team and collaborating with therapists, doctors and nurses in the hospital setting.

Management at this facility seemed to be in constant fluctuation. There were several turn overs that would see many people laid off with new people filling positions and making rapid changes. This type of instability was the most difficult aspect of the position.
Pros
Challenging situations, never boring.
Cons
Constant changes in management and management styles.
Unprofessional
Professional and certified (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 17, 2015
Unprofessional management. Unionized yet you get poor representation. Treats new employees poorly as if there is a hazing period. Bullying allowed. State has visited facility six times in a year for mishaps.
Pros
Great cafeteria
Cons
See above
Worked with Mental Health Record Dept.
RECORDS INFORMATION CLERK (Former Employee) –  East Chicago IndianaAugust 20, 2013
Open up office
Pulled Records
Talked to client about there record
Mailed Release to SS Office
Worked side by side with co-worker
I did't have a hard part to this job
I enjoyable part to this job is I was there over twenty seven years
Pros
Year Raise
Cons
No union
Tri-City Mental Health was pleasant and productive workplace.
Community Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAOctober 16, 2013
A typical day at work includes working strongly with the entire staff assisting the needs of clients. I learned how to manage my time according to each client needs and assist co-worked as needed. How to reach out to co-worked when needed keeping a positive outlook on situations. The hardest part of the job was not taking thing personal in the beginning. As I learned how to separate life experience by identifying with my own needs. I also learned to enjoy interacting as a team play with staff and clients. I became more alert and teachable within my surrounding. Most of all I enjoy working with management receiving the necessary training and their input on how to be productive, learning my strengths. Meeting with them weekly one on one, openly expressing concerns and needs as I continue to grow in a positive involvement..
Pros
Strong team member that effectively communicate within company
Cons
Did not always have the full cooperation from clients and families members
Tri City: Be prepared to hate what you love doing
Adult Department (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CAJanuary 7, 2014
***This is a review of Tri City Mental Health Center in 2008 North Garey Avenue, Pomona CA 91767*** For some reason, indeed mixed the reviews along with Tri City Medical Center.

CONS

-Poor career advancement opportunities

Even though the pay is above the average for a state contracted agency (clinicians right out of school usually get $47k-49k starting), prepare to work. And work. And work. Only to stay and stall in your position.
You can work really hard at Tri City and get high praises but unless you're in the inner circle, it's not going to mean much, because it's not a professional environment that values expertise.
When the clinical director proudly says that this is only a stepping stone for people and would rather promote from the outside than from within, that says something. You think that boost morale?

Money, Money, Money

Simple math: high productivity equals higher funding from the state. Your hours billing for Tri City is a terrifying mandated lifestyle and breeds a culture of quantity, not quality. The intense demands for productivity at Tri City create a dilemma for many: cheat or risk being fired. Due to the heavy pressure from supervisors, some of the staff that I saw (therapists and case managers) often exaggerate their hours like seeing clients for 20 mins and billing them for 60 minutes. Or why see clients at all? Just bill for those services! No one will notice, right? Supervisors often encourage over billing and would look the other way as their positions depend on their staff's productivity. What incentive do they have to be honest?
  more... This is the real world, not an ethics class.
The staff that don't want to compromise their values, actually see their clients, and work hard almost always quit because they become frustrated and cynical, often wondering how people can bill 140+ hours a month and still have time to have 2 hour lunches (that means out of the 8hrs working, they have to bill 7hrs to at least get to 140). Impossible? Not at Tri City!
Understandably, this results in a cyclical exodus of inordinate amounts of talent from the agency. Which brings us to:

High Turnover Rate

Turnover of staff is sky high. It doesn't seem to be a problem for Tri City as employees are treated like a dispensable commodity. The quality of clinicians doesn't seem to matter either. Some "clinicians" could use more therapy than their clients. And you'll also find the rare clinicians who has never had the experience of having their own personal therapies themselves, yet they advocate the practice to their clients. Is there something wrong with this picture?
Tri City stresses that they're a client driven agency, even though you get bombarded with reminders of productivity in every meeting. Group supervisions turn into chart audits so that they don't lose money when the auditors do their yearly visits.

Toxic working environment

Palpable friction between staff, lots of talking about teams/people behind their back, lots of schmoozing by staff to supervisors, employees seem openly dissatisfied-- every meeting seems to end with somebody complaining about someone or something-- just a generally very sad and depressing working environment.
If you happen to make the mistake of sharing some mundane fact about you or your personal life, the whole company learns about it. Gossip is widespread especially in the adult program. You gain a little weight=you're pregnant. You take some time off=you had a mental breakdown. You get ostracized for not conforming to the culture of Tri City and people talk behind your back. Sooner or later, it's gonna get to you. What does management do about it. You guessed it. Nothing.

Awesome
Compensation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAOctober 12, 2015
This is a great place to work at, I recommend Tri-City. I love working with a bunch of intelligent individuals. Great benefits.
enjoyed working with a variety of different types of patients
Registered Nurse, Medical Oncology (Former Employee) –  Vista, CAJune 26, 2014
Worked with a variety of different types of patients such as those with a variety of illnesses, infections and surgical procedures. The hardest part of the job was dealing with patients and their families facing death. Worked with co-workers as part of a team but was also encouraged by management to work autonomously. Enjoyed working with my co-workers and getting to know my patients and their families.
Pros
dealt with a variety of different diagnoses
Cons
no breaks
The worst mental health agency that exists
Clinical Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Pomona, CANovember 7, 2014
This is a review for Tri-City Mental Health Center at 2008 North Garey Ave., Pomona, CA:

The agency sets you up for failure by giving you inordinate amounts of paperwork along with a high productivity standard, resulting in you having no other choice but to take work home or suffer consequences. Staff are extremely stressed out and the worst part of it all is that there is no recognition for all the hard work and client care the clinical staff put in. Employee morale is the worst that I've seen at any agency I have ever worked for. Management is not supportive of staff as they are more interested in prying into your personal lives and crossing boundaries that are beyond unethical. Management also does not value professionalism, in fact they despise it. This is by far the worst community mental health agency one can work for. They are more interested in retaining the staff that have been known to openly commit fraud, by making up a ridiculous amount of hours to exceed productivity and pretending to see clients. In fact, management encourages this. The turnover here is high due to employees getting terminated often (because you are not liked or you voice your honest opinion) and in general, quitting because they are frustrated with the miserable and corrupt environment they are exposed to. It's not uncommon for people to start working and quit after a few days, few weeks, or few months. And, if you tell management that you are leaving, be prepared to get threatened. They don't want others to know the truth about how the agency is run. Do yourself a favor and stay far, far
  more... away. Don't allow the salary to entice you, after all, it’s the ONLY reason why anyone would want to work here.  less
Pros
Salary, flexible work hours
Cons
Lack of support from management, negative work environment, no positive reinforcement, low employee morale, high turnover, stressful, easily burned out, excessive meetings and documentation, no work life balance, no employee recognition
adversity-friendly
Community Rehabilitative Support (CRS) Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Lynn, MANovember 22, 2013
Assisted individuals and collateral contacts on a daily basis.
Seeking assistance from the management team during crisis situations.
Friendly, joyful, charismatic co-workers.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with escalated individuals.
The most enjoyable part of the job is having great team spirit.
Pros
Free lunches in meetings.
Cons
Getting bombared when shortage of staff.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tri-City Medical Center. Our community is ready to answer.

Tri-City Medical Center Reviews by Location