Tribune Company Employee Reviews

Good business to work with.
General Warehouse Team Member (Former Employee) –  Elk Grove, ILNovember 30, 2016
I arrive at work and start stacking the packages on to the skids.
I learned that if u work at a fast and constant past, you will finish your work to early and they will send you home.
Management was great. They would bring you coffee and doughnuts. As well as pizza on Fridays.
Co-workers were alot of fun and enjoyed completing the work task.
Pros
I got an opportunity to work with great people.
Cons
i worked with newspapers
Tribune Publishing is the voice of the people and will thrive in whatever platform readers prefer
National Account Manager, National Automotive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 28, 2016
Excellent culture to work in, comfortable and constructive work space environment. Very good co-workers and management, all able to adapt to an ever changing media landscape. Hardest part of the job was creating cost efficient media programs that targeted key audiences on a regional or national scale. The most enjoyable part of the job was confirming that a client had a successful campaign and achieved ROI metrics.
Great company to work for!
Creative / Production Designer (Former Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLJune 20, 2016
It was a great working experience, always busy with production/creative work, until the last 2 months before my layoff. All management was very personable and supportive. I loved to bring snacks for everybody and we used to have Potlucks pretty often. The night shift and long drive was a bit of a challenge but I really liked my work at Tribune/Sun Sentinel.
Pros
Very friendly atmosphere
Cons
Long drive
Excellent leadership and project teams
Information Technology Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2015
Tribune truly fosters a team building culture, people are accountable and when faced with adversity they collaboratively tackle the problem. There is a strong sense of camaraderie and project wins or fails are shared evenly with the team. I have never seen an example of a team member throwing another under the bus.

The organization has changed leadership strategies several times over the past several years so there can be a bit of uncertainty within the workforce but executive leadership does actively communicate with employees.

The organization truly believes in work-life balance and often encourages teams to socialize after work to strengthen cross-functional team relationships.
Pros
Excellent leadership and project teams
Cons
Layoffs
Fun people to work with
NetBackup Administrator / Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2016
I worked here for 32 years and I really enjoyed it. I had great opportunities to work with cutting edge technology in a learning friendly environment. Training was available and the Team atmosphere was pleasant and engaging.
Pros
Great people
Cons
Job was outsourced
Great people to work with
Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJune 1, 2016
Good People all around.
Management has no stability. They keep on changing as investors change. Business is good
Co- workers are nice. Flexible work hours.
Productive workplace
Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 15, 2016
Very relaxing workplace and coworkers are more than willing to assist you whenever you need it. Management is helpful and very trusting of their employers that they will complete the task at hand. On a typical work day I punch in to my phone and answer phone calls to place obituaries and send email proofs and/or fax to private parties or funeral homes. I've acquired skills such as copy editing and typing 35 wpm.
good company bad management
IT (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
Company was good until they decided to outsource most of IT. My manager is great but upper management is bad. Maybe the company will recover, I certainly hope they do. They failed to adapt as a result the company suffered.
Pros
insurance
Cons
everything else
It all about work
Temp Worker (Former Employee) –  Northwest avenueNovember 30, 2016
I love the job.. the best job ever.. they treat you right they treat you with respect honor your opinion... most of all when you need help they're always there to help you out
Pros
I had to bring lunch
easy for me to remember routes
DRIVER/ DISTRIBUTOR (Former Employee) –  Saint Petersburg, FLAugust 29, 2016
went out of business, no more work had 3 routes, loved the job, worked 7 days a week! very non hectic job, worked by myself which i like. pick up papers and leave. rolled them as driving and delivered to proper customers.
Pros
off during day so i can boat and fish
Cons
no days off or sick leave

Want to know more about Tribune Company?

Ask a question
Unstable company, ridiculous management style, severe undercompensation
Production Department (Former Employee) –  MichiganFebruary 20, 2013
Considering all jobs in media are underpaid, this company is definitely on the lowest part of the spectrum. There is an extreme turn over rate and positions are constantly being eliminated and those duties passed off onto someone else who will not get paid anymore for doing them. It's not even worth the experience gained because no one will look twice at this job on your resume. The worst part is that management will expect you to be at their beck and call without any regard to your personal life outside of work. To top it all off the company has been in bankruptcy for years (so don't expect basic things like a raise) with no sign of coming out of it anytime soon, just constant layoffs.
Tribune Publishing
Customer Service Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMay 25, 2016
Okay place to work at. 8 hour days. Boss is great. I enjoyed working with all the different News Papers. Traveled some for training.
Good work culture, lousy work
Customer service rep (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 29, 2015
Tribune is a nice place to work because it's right downtown the building is really pretty. Work culture is pretty nice, I did enjoy the people but the management is kind of a mess and the call volume for my section could get kind of overwhelming at peak times of the year. Pay is decent though, 15/hr. Decent gym in the basement.
Pros
Location, Culture
Toxic Atmosphere, People aren't Valued
Creative Producer (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis INMarch 15, 2013
I was at this company for a number of years, I had a number of managers over me. With one exception, they were all toxic managers. They would pit employees against one another, made jokes abour wearing people down and abusing them. One manager was let go for threatening multiple of my co-workers. Worst of all, they gave no concrete direction. Nothing was ever good enough, with no direction on how to make it better. Poor planning meant lots of last minute freak outs, worked holidays and weekends. As I worked and met with people further up the management chain and learned that this style must be actively supported by the company, as it extends into upper levels. Priorities shifted weekly, things that were vital last week were not so important this week. Managers didn't stand up for their people, were quick to throw their reports under the bus.

Pay was miserable. Years of bankruptcy meant no raises, shrinking benefits, and increasing responsibility \ hours. The only good thing I got out of Tribune was a greater appretiation of every other job I will ever have.
Pros
you'll definitely learn how to work fast and be political.
Cons
poor pay, poor management, poor benefits, poor company vision.
A flailing company
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYJanuary 25, 2014
It started as two competing privately, locally owned television listing companies in the same town. In 1985, Tribune Media Services acquired Torrington/Tribune Data. In 2001, Tribune Media Services acquired TVData Technologies. Both Torrington/Tribune Data and TVData Technologies were great companies to work for and the environment was quite familial-like. Tribune Media Services has evolved into a unstable, unprofitable company that has seen no one retire voluntarily since their takeover in 2001. Tribune Media Services is management top heavy and managers are to follow orders from Chicago, which are often not in line with the best interests of the customers, employees or company division.
Pros
Interesting work. Comfortable work space.
Cons
No job stability. Minimal chance for advancement.
Very fun and friendly place to work. Fantastic salary
sales (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 26, 2016
The recession hit the Tribune Company hard. They had to move their SLC, Ut office to Chicago. That is why I'am no longer employed with them.
Company that wants all their employees to succeed
Human Resources Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago/Oak Brook, ILJune 18, 2012
Before Tribune went private it was a company that provided great pay and benefits and showed a true interest in their employees to succeed. With a great succession planning program in place all employees were encouraged to grow and succeed with the company and provided the tools, resources and support for employees to do so. I learned to believe in my abilities and gained the confidence to grow my career. The hardest part of the job was experience a lay off. The most enjoyable part of my job was working along side co-workers that lived Tribune's values and always made you feel part of the team.
Pros
pay, benefits, room for growth
Cons
lay offs
Tribune
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2013
Working at the tribune was the best work experience from a new graduate student. I learn all about culture, good environment, friendly people and well compensated.
Benefits, jobs hours, time management, organization, goals all were in a same path.
Pros
organization, respect, benefits, salary, family and work balance.
Cons
for me it was hard to move to another position
family comes first bs
sales (Former Employee) –  Tavares, FlJuly 1, 2013
heavy middle management that fear for their jobs. Treat over qualified employees as pieces of disposable meat. Constantly changing compensation. Management that is unqualified to serve as managers. Ever changing goals...they dangle the carrot ..then move the carrot so you can't achieve desired results. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Be weary of promises that are made and not fulfilled. Promoted family first but when that occurred...oops your out a job. Poor communication for being in the communication business.
Pros
sometimes relaxed atmosphere
Cons
managers not qualified to be managers...not the necessary experience to direct, motivate and inspire a sales team
Used to be a great place to work with a great group of people to work with
Creative Services Designer (Current Employee) –  Deerfield Beach, FLNovember 3, 2015
I have nothing bad to say about Tribune. They were my second family for many years. Unfortunately, they have been outsourcing our work for years now and it has gotten worse. Regrettably, it is time to move on.
Pros
Fun people and great working relationships, benefits
Cons
Outsourcing work to India

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tribune Company. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6