Tribune Company Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent leadership and project teams
Information Technology Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAJuly 9, 2015
Tribune truly fosters a team building culture, people are accountable and when faced with adversity they collaboratively tackle the problem. There is a strong sense of camaraderie and project wins or fails are shared evenly with the team. I have never seen an example of a team member throwing another under the bus.

The organization has changed leadership strategies several times over the past several years so there can be a bit of uncertainty within the workforce but executive leadership does actively communicate with employees.

The organization truly believes in work-life balance and often encourages teams to socialize after work to strengthen cross-functional team relationships.
Pros
Excellent leadership and project teams
Cons
Layoffs
Customer Service Assistant
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILOctober 24, 2015
I really enjoyed my Supervisor and Manager.

I was sad when I was getting laidoff. I enjoyed the company.

I also really enjoyed my work.
fun work place
Mail Sorter (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 13, 2015
on a typical day we would sort through mail put in envelopes.i learned how to pelletize and work in small groups. management not to good not to bad i one manager who really took the time to show me the ropes. i worked very good hard working people fun energetic trustworthy. the hardert part of working there was the paper jams..the best part was meet in new people
Pros
weekly pay checks
Cons
long hours long standing periods
Amazing culture, but job is your life for little pay
Co-Op Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago ILJune 19, 2015
This company is an amazing place to work. But, your job will quickly become your whole life. Management is great in certain areas, but if you end up under the wrong person you can get lost in the mix. Great company to work for, jobs are secure. Pay is much less than most places.
freelancer paradise or purgatory
Freelance Writer (Former Employee) –  Greensburg, PAMay 29, 2015
Everyone knows when you're a stringer you'll be called at last minute for assignment, often need to plead your case to create pieces to write and can have them hacked with lack of ad space at a moment's notice.

Overall the Trib is a decent paper to work for... as a stringer you know what you're getting into.
Pros
freelancing
Cons
small pay
ok
Certified Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Northlake, ILAugust 24, 2015
do i really got to say anything about a good easy working enviroment this job taught me alot of things. forklift driving and stacking very cool place
Hartford
Broadcasting (Former Employee) –  hartford ctJune 17, 2015
The lack of morality is only paralleled by the lack of morale. It is a stepping stone at best and a sinking ship at worst. I would not recommend working in the Hartford location unless there is a complete overhaul of management
Fast Pace Environment
Production/ Postal Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Northlake,ILMarch 16, 2015
Worked in a fast pace environment at times, worked in many departments. Started as a Quality Control Clerk also worked in Production in more of an office setting worked in Shipping and worked with the US postal service as well.
Pros
learned so much there, was with the company for many years
Cons
the language barrier at that location
Productive work place, even though i worked with a private contractor
Route Driver Helper, Sales (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 2, 2015
Organized and moving fast
to be prompt at all times and assertive
hard working.
Very organized from the top on down
co-most are good to get along with , when you get to know them.
The weather and conditions
Meeting people, making them smile outdoors.
Pros
breaks when you feel you needed them, total freedom as long as you did your job properly.
Internal
Technical Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 8, 2014
Environment has many applications not fully integrated as there have been constant acquisitions. There was a very big cut at the end of 2013, in preparation for the publishing spin off. System environment is in desperate need of operational process maturity. Some seasoned agile process pockets exist in app dev.
Pros
many new tools on the way as company continues to evolve
Cons
may not be sufficient long term funding to realize fundamental change
Great place to work until most of the work was moved overseas
Agency Collections Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Lewisville, TXMarch 12, 2015
company was great in the beginning however when emergence from bankruptcy completed, most of the work was moved overseas.
Pros
free sodas
Cons
no possibility for advancement
Productive and relaxed work place.
Campaign Specialist (Current Employee) –  Tribune TowerFebruary 20, 2014
A typical day begins with a review of the Google Share document so to create an outline of reports, screenshots, and basic up-keep of campaigns for the day. Throughout the day basic duties are related to the creation of new billing accounts and the direct communication with Sale Representatives for accounts.
Pros
co-workers are fun and easy-going; individuals are able to work at their own pace.
Cons
current position is temporary.
A current day for me
On air talent/reporter (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2013
A typical day, while not limited to the following, includes arriving early after 3am to review prior day problems or concerns, setting up work station for gathering traffic information, going over show notes, and then doing reports every 15 minutes or as needed.
After the newscast, I usually spend a bit of the morning going out with a photog shooting construction sites and turning those into pieces for the web as well as for use in the next day's show.
Pros
usually done by noon
Cons
days can get long if there are issues or if the situation merits we stay on longer
Quiet and productive place to work.
Movie Editor (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYAugust 25, 2013
A typical day included following paperwork to get thousands of movies properly entered into the database.
I learned to work with database and iMBD. Also learned some computer skills.
Management was helpful when needed and always friendly.
Co-workers were friendly and great to work with. Always kept things running smoothly.
The hardest part of the job was when management was needed when some movie information could not be found that was needed.
The most enjoyable part was working quietly in my own station and working hard to get as many movies as I could get done in a day.
Pros
company appreciation and friendliness
Managent on tv side of business clueless
producer (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJuly 9, 2013
Bad management: back stabbers, blame placers, toxic people terrified of losing their jobs so they throw subordinates under the bus every chance they have. Insane pressure to create the 'next big thing' with no guidance or direction or leadership. TV station I worked at was a very poorly run operation and that incompetence is reflected in the ratings, which of course is blamed on individual employees and not the management.
Pros
fellow employees great bunch of people
Cons
ineffective, incompetent management all across the board
family comes first bs
sales (Former Employee) –  Tavares, FlJuly 1, 2013
heavy middle management that fear for their jobs. Treat over qualified employees as pieces of disposable meat. Constantly changing compensation. Management that is unqualified to serve as managers. Ever changing goals...they dangle the carrot ..then move the carrot so you can't achieve desired results. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Be weary of promises that are made and not fulfilled. Promoted family first but when that occurred...oops your out a job. Poor communication for being in the communication business.
Pros
sometimes relaxed atmosphere
Cons
managers not qualified to be managers...not the necessary experience to direct, motivate and inspire a sales team
Company that wants all their employees to succeed
Human Resources Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Chicago/Oak Brook, ILJune 18, 2012
Before Tribune went private it was a company that provided great pay and benefits and showed a true interest in their employees to succeed. With a great succession planning program in place all employees were encouraged to grow and succeed with the company and provided the tools, resources and support for employees to do so. I learned to believe in my abilities and gained the confidence to grow my career. The hardest part of the job was experience a lay off. The most enjoyable part of my job was working along side co-workers that lived Tribune's values and always made you feel part of the team.
Pros
pay, benefits, room for growth
Cons
lay offs
Productive with challenges
Log Format (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAAugust 1, 2012
Very motivated and fast pace with dead lines to meet.
Each day was a learning experience with changes and updates that are to be met by programming department.

Discussed with management any changes and follow the directions provided to me.

Help my co-workers in their jobs in order to finish in a timely manner.

I didn't find anything hard but challenging.

Seeing the product done and done without errors.
Pros
sales bringing in lunches
Cons
long work days and sometimes into the evening hours
meh
Contractor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 26, 2015
Its a sinking ship I'm afraid. Nice people, some fun projects, but no long term prospects. It's a cemetery. The real power is in Chicago,
Pros
Cool Building
Cons
No future
Somewhat fun.
Publication Developer / Paginator (Former Employee) –  Queensbury, NYMay 13, 2013
1) Depends on the workflow, some days are busy and fly by; others drag.

2) Knowledge is key, if you have it your golden, if you don't your nothing.

3) So-so, will work with your needs.

4) Some are very hard workers, others do the bare minium just to pass the day.

5) There isn't anything.

6) When a customer likes the prototype I created and want to use it live in their next publication.
Pros
flexible / family comes first
Cons
no room for advancement, micro-managed.

2.6