Tribune Company

Tribune Company United States Employee Reviews

A current day for me
On air talent/reporter (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INOctober 14, 2013
Pros: usually done by noon
Cons: days can get long if there are issues or if the situation merits we stay on longer
A typical day, while not limited to the following, includes arriving early after 3am to review prior day problems or concerns, setting up work station for gathering traffic information, going over show notes, and then doing reports every 15 minutes or as needed.
After the newscast, I usually spend a bit of the morning going out with a photog shooting construction sites and turning those into pieces for the web as well as for use in the next day's show.
Great people and intellectually challenging work.
Analyst (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 10, 2013
The work is intellectually challenging and diverse. The work environment is relaxed and comfortable, and management is respectful and professional.
Satisfying work with like minded employees.
Electrical Technician (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDOctober 5, 2013
Pros: challenging work
Cons: scheduling
Fast paced newspaper printing giant. The work is satisfactory and you are responsible for training yourself to come up to speed.

I learned the control schemes of various printing equipment and delivery systems related to production of the newspaper industry. Mailroom insertion equipment and robotic stacking equipment.

Management works very hard to keep the company profitable with the declining buisness in this type of industry.

The hardest part of the job is the "Slide" or flex schedule. You cannot plan anything in advance with you life or family.

I feel the most enjoyable part of job is keeping the equipment running on a shoestring budget. You really find out how creative you can become when you are backed into a corner.
Tribune
Account Executive (Former Employee), Chicago, ILSeptember 23, 2013
Pros: organization, respect, benefits, salary, family and work balance.
Cons: for me it was hard to move to another position
Working at the tribune was the best work experience from a new graduate student. I learn all about culture, good environment, friendly people and well compensated.
Benefits, jobs hours, time management, organization, goals all were in a same path.
Great company, great travel perks but poor complensation
Account Executive (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CASeptember 16, 2013
Pros: trabel to other countries
Cons: low pay
I loved to work for this company. had a great manager from whom I learned tremendously. I used to love traveling to other countries however the pay was low and not a lot of time to spend at home
Quiet and productive place to work.
Movie Editor (Former Employee), Queensbury, NYAugust 25, 2013
Pros: company appreciation and friendliness
A typical day included following paperwork to get thousands of movies properly entered into the database.
I learned to work with database and iMBD. Also learned some computer skills.
Management was helpful when needed and always friendly.
Co-workers were friendly and great to work with. Always kept things running smoothly.
The hardest part of the job was when management was needed when some movie information could not be found that was needed.
The most enjoyable part was working quietly in my own station and working hard to get as many movies as I could get done in a day.
Not a bad job
Multilingual Editor (Current Employee), Queensbury, NYAugust 14, 2013
It's a good desk job but it doesn't pay enough and the shift is not ideal.
Tribune Co.
Senior Multimedia Consultant (Former Employee), Orlando, FLJuly 22, 2013
Wonderful media company offered me great training opportunities, room for career growth, good mentoring. Still have many people in my network from this company.
Great starting point
Accounting Clerk - Advertising Accounting (Former Employee), Mesa, AZJuly 10, 2013
Cons: low wages
Fast paced call center environment.
Learned about back room processes/communications
Management, by the book.
Managent on tv side of business clueless
producer (Former Employee), San DiegoJuly 9, 2013
Pros: fellow employees great bunch of people
Cons: ineffective, incompetent management all across the board
Bad management: back stabbers, blame placers, toxic people terrified of losing their jobs so they throw subordinates under the bus every chance they have. Insane pressure to create the 'next big thing' with no guidance or direction or leadership. TV station I worked at was a very poorly run operation and that incompetence is reflected in the ratings, which of course is blamed on individual employees and not the management.
Overall decent company to work for
Editorial Specialist (Former Employee), Queensbury, NYJuly 2, 2013
Tribune is a great company when it comes to work-life balance. They are always great about supporting families and if you have an emergency, being understanding about it.
Benefits are generally good, but compensation is very low for the amount of work.
The people are the reason I have been there so long.
family comes first bs
sales (Former Employee), Tavares, FlJuly 1, 2013
Pros: sometimes relaxed atmosphere
Cons: managers not qualified to be managers...not the necessary experience to direct, motivate and inspire a sales team
heavy middle management that fear for their jobs. Treat over qualified employees as pieces of disposable meat. Constantly changing compensation. Management that is unqualified to serve as managers. Ever changing goals...they dangle the carrot ..then move the carrot so you can't achieve desired results. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Be weary of promises that are made and not fulfilled. Promoted family first but when that occurred...oops your out a job. Poor communication for being in the communication business.
Above Average
Graphic Artist The Times (Former Employee), Scranton, PAJune 27, 2013
Great company, family-run newspaper/radio business. Good pay, great benefits, great management. Dying industry (newspaper) job security can be vague.
Somewhat fun.
Publication Developer / Paginator (Former Employee), Queensbury, NYMay 13, 2013
Pros: flexible / family comes first
Cons: no room for advancement, micro-managed.
1) Depends on the workflow, some days are busy and fly by; others drag.

2) Knowledge is key, if you have it your golden, if you don't your nothing.

3) So-so, will work with your needs.

4) Some are very hard workers, others do the bare minium just to pass the day.

5) There isn't anything.

6) When a customer likes the prototype I created and want to use it live in their next publication.
Great
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 18, 2013
I love this company, I have one the best bosses ever! Everyone is nice, even the clients you work with. Benefits are kind of expensive but overall great company!
Package Handler
Package Handler/Shipping & Receiving (Former Employee), Chicago ILMarch 15, 2013
Pros: got all my work hours.
Cons: short lunch break
Fulfill the shipping and receiving of orders. Handling of packages and merchandise, and also assuring that package orders are processed accurately and on time.
Toxic Atmosphere, People aren't Valued
Creative Producer (Former Employee), Indianapolis INMarch 15, 2013
Pros: you'll definitely learn how to work fast and be political.
Cons: poor pay, poor management, poor benefits, poor company vision.
I was at this company for a number of years, I had a number of managers over me. With one exception, they were all toxic managers. They would pit employees against one another, made jokes abour wearing people down and abusing them. One manager was let go for threatening multiple of my co-workers. Worst of all, they gave no concrete direction. Nothing was ever good enough, with no direction on how to make it better. Poor planning meant lots of last minute freak outs, worked holidays and weekends. As I worked and met with people further up the management chain and learned that this style must be actively supported by the company, as it extends into upper levels. Priorities shifted weekly, things that were vital last week were not so important this week. Managers didn't stand up for their people, were quick to throw their reports under the bus.

Pay was miserable. Years of bankruptcy meant no raises, shrinking benefits, and increasing responsibility \ hours. The only good thing I got out of Tribune was a greater appretiation of every other job I will ever have.
Unstable company, ridiculous management style, severe undercompensation
Production Department (Former Employee), MichiganFebruary 20, 2013
Considering all jobs in media are underpaid, this company is definitely on the lowest part of the spectrum. There is an extreme turn over rate and positions are constantly being eliminated and those duties passed off onto someone else who will not get paid anymore for doing them. It's not even worth the experience gained because no one will look twice at this job on your resume. The worst part is that management will expect you to be at their beck and call without any regard to your personal life outside of work. To top it all off the company has been in bankruptcy for years (so don't expect basic things like a raise) with no sign of coming out of it anytime soon, just constant layoffs.
Notable Media Co. on the Edge of Change & Opportunity
Manager (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2013
Pros: Loyal and dedicated management and employees, great location, unique career opportunities

Cons: Frequent management changes, unclear strategy/goals
This job is a rip off
teleservice rep (Former Employee), orlando floridaJanuary 9, 2013
Cons: pay
This job is crape its full of a lot of self centered superviors.. all they car about is themselves... Quick to fire you especially if its something you cant control.. pay sucks. They mess up your paychecks. Leads are bad.... they have a lot of favorites in that job.. they make the job seem better then want it is during your interview... minimum wage is not worth the stress you get from this job....

Tribune Company Salaries