Tribune Media Company Employee Reviews

no company culture, underpaid, employees treated poorly.
Captioner (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTFebruary 23, 2018
because the job is completely independent, there is no workplace or company culture. employees are drastically underpaid, and the head of the department is vindictive and not tolerant of mental health issues.
Pros
good technology
Cons
everythinmg
Long hours but worth it
Anchor/Reporter (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 3, 2018
Hosted a 3 hour lonng morning show that started at 5 am. The hours were long and it was a start up show so there was a lot of stress and long hours. We did make it into a very sucessful launch.
Pros
Creatibe environment
Cons
Great for personal life, but not so great for career advancement
Editor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 24, 2018
Most days I would come in and choose from a list of stories I could edit. After I chose the story, I'd gather resources to edit the story. Then I'd edit the story and get it approved by a manager before it aired on live TV.
Great Place To Start A Career
Producer (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJanuary 3, 2018
Great people and energetic office. Willing to train new staff. Not always open to new ideas. It's a typical local newsroom. Every day is different and that's a good thing.
Strong staff demanding schedules
Senior TV Investigative News Reporter & Anchor (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 10, 2017
Tribune is a good broadcasting company. Treats its employees fair. Demanding schedules and expectations for staff. For the most part a good place to work.
Ping Pong
Infrastructure Engineer (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILDecember 6, 2017
Table right there and culture was awesome.
If it were not a contract I would still be there.
The culture is very laid back and the manager is awesome to work with.
Pros
Paid Lunch
Cons
Conctract, not full time employment.
It's been a new experience!!
Facility Specialist (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 21, 2017
I will not add or take away anything from this company it's just time to move on. I haven't been here very long so I don't have much to say. They were bought shortly after I was hired. And I wish them all the best.
Engaging place to work
National Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 30, 2017
The culture at Tribune is friendly and supportive. The job offered good support and allowed freedom and autonomy to build your business within and under the Tribune umbrella.
Pros
Autonomy, Supportive environment
Cons
At times, slow to make decisions
Not a bad place to work but very stressful
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 13, 2017
Extremely fast-paced environment that doesn't allow for a lot of mistakes.

Great team atmosphere but the company as a whole isn't fully committed to its success.
relaxed atmosphere. good crew
TV Broadcast engineer/Master control (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 3, 2017
Channel 13(Tribune) had a record of hiring inept supervisors which created a combative and anxious atmosphere.
It did have good benefits and excellent co-workers.
Pros
fellow engineers
Cons
mandatory lunch breaks
You're on your own
News Producer (Former Employee) –  Hollywood, CAAugust 27, 2017
KTLA was basically every man/woman for themselves. There were some very nice co-workers - and a lot of people to avoid. There was training on the CMS and other programs - the quality of that training depended upon who was doing the training. The most enjoyable aspect was turning a good news story and getting it on the air.
Pros
not many
Cons
cut-throat culture
Relaxed and organized environment
Application Engineer Workday HCM and Finance (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 16, 2017
my day basically starts with checking any tickets generated by integration issues or from any users and follow up accordingly and work on any enhancement requested by user and report to my manager.

i can say that i have leaned how to work with a team collaborate on a daily basis may that be sharing knowledge helping a team member or sharing ideas that helps the organization.

very organized management always pays attentive to employees

most enjoyable part of the job is tem meeting and ping pong during lunch break
Run far far away
Editor (Former Employee) –  Hartford, CTJuly 22, 2017
Terrible company, terrible pay, no raises, incompetent managers, and zero recognition for hard work. I regret ever joining this company and if you value your career you'll avoid this place at all costs.
Pros
Cons
No breaks, bad pay, bad management RUN!
Pros & Cons
Accounting (Current Employee) –  ChicagoJune 7, 2017
The working atmosphere, people, and the product we put on air are great. The work load however isn't balanced to the paycheck. Compared to where other companies are in the market they are lower here. We just reported a really great quarter and we're still waiting for it to trickle down to the rest of us. They do have good PTO and are flexible with scheduling. Though many weeks you do over 40.
Master Control Operator
Master Control Operator (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 10, 2017
High turn-over rate, horrible management, earnings are not enough for the responsibility/high stress. Typical new hire will work over-night shift until they are proven worthy to advance to 2nd shift. Getting to day shift is like waiting on someone to die. A lot of isolation in Master Control, communicating with other departments are frowned upon. Management loves to micro-manage and really doesn't care about you as a person. You do what you are told. Calling in sick, everyone was treated like a slacker ... felt bad for calling in for actually being sick because of the negative feedback from managers and co-workers when returning. When you call in, management doesn't have coverage...more work for everyone (resentment). You may think this review is pretty one sided ... but trust me, I put in several years and saw management come and go and there isn't a lot of positive to say, for a job that should be fun, rewarding and enjoyable this truly isn't. I saw this place go down hill fast and continued to stay at the bottom. If you're looking for a job to get you by ... go for it. You'll understand what I've posted here in time if you work for Tribune. Good luck finding something...broadcasting is a dying industry due to the internet. Go Information Technology/Business if you can.
Pros
Cons
plenty of cons, low pay, hours worked, poor management, benefits, isolated
Great Company
Broadcast Engineer (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 22, 2017
I have worked at two separate entities of this company.
Both have been great.

Great company to work for as a young single guy.

Great growth opportunity.
Temp Experience
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 3, 2017
I learned, hands on the Workday program
Everything is electronic
Coworkers were easy going
Manager not visible much
Manager not flexible with life events or planned personal events with advanced notice
Hardest part daily was having enough work to stay busy
Most enjoyable was the knowledge I gained, program I learned and great coworker vibe.
Pros
Easily accessible by public transportation
Cons
Lack of management encouraging "team" experience
Wonderful company to work for.
Log Editor-Traffic Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 19, 2017
Wonderful Company to work for. Compassionate Environment. Great benefits and easy to work with. A friendly "Together" type of atmosphere. Position Keeps you busy.
Cons
Inbound Advertising Representative (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2017
I have been here for just over a year now and I believe this is a great place to work for an entry level job that has offers for advancement within the company.
Progressive company
Production Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJanuary 17, 2017
Good organization with opportunity for advancement. Professional atmosphere, and very capable management team that welcomes employee feedback. Overall a great place to work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Tribune Media Company. Our community is ready to answer.