Trine University Employee Reviews

Very disorganized and with unknown expectations
Adjunct Instructor (Former Employee) –  Angola, INNovember 15, 2017
There was a considerable amount of turnover at the hiring director position during my time at Trine. In the four and a half years I taught as an adjunct in the School of Professional Studies, four directors managed the program, each with different views, experiences, and expectations. I found that there was a great deal of disorganization within the department.
Pros
Pay and opportunities
Cons
Poorly managed program
Fun place to work
International Orientation Leader (Former Employee) –  Angola, INOctober 2, 2017
Enjoyed each and every moment I worked with them. The entire staff was pleasing and helped me out in every manner. It was their hard work that made me excel in my career.
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Angola, INSeptember 30, 2017
Poor Communication through staff. Workplace was comfortable and manageable. Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work at your own pace in a time efficient matter.
Pros
own time schedule
Cons
inconsistent hours
Work Study job
Admissions Office Work Study Student (Former Employee) –  Angola, INSeptember 14, 2017
It was an easy job for a work study student needing a little extra money. I could work when I wanted or when I had time. Your studies were always put ahead of work by your boss.
Diluting the knowledge pool
ADJUNCT PROFESSOR (Current Employee) –  Angola, INAugust 15, 2017
Environment is not conducive to teaching or learning. Feels like a degree shop - you pay and get a degree instead of earning one. Students expect a handout and administration complies.
Fun summer job
Groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Angola, INMay 23, 2017
Great for having a steady job with plenty of chances to learn something new. Easy to learn and fast paced. Great for summer jobs and college students who need work study
Pros
Job security
Cons
Very demanding
Work-Study
Student Worker/Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Angola, INMay 22, 2017
I had a work-study position so I cannot provide a full review on what it's like to be a full-time employee at Trine University. All work-study jobs are different.
Good Place, Bad Managment
no title (Former Employee) –  Angola, INMay 11, 2017
Overall I'm thankful for working at this institution and I think that it's mission and work is wonderful, however Sometimes it feels like high school children were selected to manage. They have no concept of how to treat employees beyond a vague idea of "being nice". Don't expect respect from your manager here.

They like to make you feel like you owe them even though you're the one doing the work. There is also a strange attitude of "damned if you do, damned if you don't" that you have to consistently and vigilantly watch for.

Sometimes it can feel like a social club rather than a job, and if you want to actually work, I would suggested you look elsewhere. We all enjoy having a conversation in the work place, however the amateur level of unearned egotism reflects on the intellectual dialogue of the place.

Oh, and don't ever believe they allow growth. They will promote their own students as your boss regardless if you are more qualified. This is even true if you happen to have a master's or Phd.

Overall, they do not recognize hard work as a positive thing, and they don't apply a very professional organizational structure.
Pros
Can be fun, Not too hard (could be negative), Nice at face value
Cons
Don't work here if you are a genuine professional, they don't like that
Intern (Former Employee) –  Angola, INMarch 10, 2017
I was an intern and our Professor was very cooperative and helped me in every step in the Hadoop programming and doing the project. It helped me learn a lot and gave me confidence that I can handle any project in the real world.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
nothing
Great place to work if you are a white man
Director (Former Employee) –  Angola, INFebruary 13, 2017
First, if you are a woman expect to be treated as a lesser being. Not only are the cabinet members sexist but also quite racist. I was on call 24x7 when my male counterparts were not. I was constantly stuck between a war between two departments and it was miserable. Towards then end I could hardly stand to go to work. I left the university to take on a lower job to get paid 20% more than at Trine. Best decision to leave.

The colleagues outside of my department on my level were fantastic. They genuinely cared about students and wanted to collaborate. I enjoyed working with the students at Trine. It was too bad that many of them were being taken advantage of and made to believe that they could get fully admitted to engineering programs when they couldn't and they would be out a lot of money.
Pros
Staff
Cons
Poor administration, discriminatory
Interesting, exciting at times, fun at times. Too bad honesty made me lose my job!
Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Angola, INSeptember 27, 2016
I liked my job at Trine University. It is a fun atmosphere to work in. The only problem I ever had while working there was when I didn't lie to cover my boss, she then made sure I was fired. Never had any write up nor any verbal warnings. Fired because I wouldn't lie, isn't that something?!
Student Worker
Data Entry / Tele-Counselor (Current Employee) –  Angola, IN 46703May 5, 2016
Worked for a little over a semester about 12 hours a week, fun people to work with, but bad pay.
Not a job for paying tuition bill.
Pros
Fun Community
Cons
Small Salary
Micromanagement, rampant paranoia, and overall negative culture
Professor (Current Employee) –  Main/SPSFebruary 6, 2016
If you are on the job market and are considering a faculty position at Trine, I would recommend taking a different path. The environment for faculty at the university is very negative and there is a lot of paranoia within the faculty because the administration is very antagonistic towards faculty. Since the faculty have been stripped of tenure and depend on year-to-year contracts, there is a lot of fear of being fired at any moment. Unfortunately, this fear is not unfounded as there have been members of the faculty quickly and callously dismissed for daring to challenge the administration. In addition, because the faculty fears dismissal there is a lot of apathy towards important issues and most faculty members simply avoid addressing or challenging any of the institutional issues. This is manifested in the laughable faculty meetings in which little is accomplished and it is acknowledged that even if the faculty did not support an initiative that the administration would ignore this and do want they want. Essentially, the faculty meetings are intended to give the impression that the faculty have input or power when in actuality the faculty have no input or power. Finally, the administration does not trust the faculty and micromanages them, stripping them of their autonomy as professionals in academia and their field.

Another aspect to keep in mind is that the administration values its students as "customers" and refers to them as such.
Poor atmosphere to work
adjunct faculty (Former Employee) –  Angola, INDecember 19, 2015
I taught 2 classes for Trine and would never teach another class for this University. The pay scale for adjunct faculty is the same as it was 15 years ago. They over-manage everything and go through faculty very quickly. Please DO NOT waste your time teaching for Trine!
Pros
PAY SCALE is TERRIBLE for Adjunct Faculty
Driven and Growing
Director of Business Services (Current Employee) –  Angola, INNovember 29, 2015
Trine is a growing university offering the opportunity to wear many hats at the same time. The growth provides a fast paced environment.
Pros
Benefits, location, atmosphere
Cons
constant change and growth
Good Place to work
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Angola, INMarch 11, 2015
I learned many things at Trine University and I am very grateful to all my colleagues and supervisors. I enjoyed all my classes both lower and upper level.
Decent place to work
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Angola, INFebruary 23, 2015
*steady pay
*good benefits
*confusing training
*unorganized hierarchy
*learned the health and safety rules involving working/ dealing with cleaning chemicals
*learned how to wax/polish/burnish floors
A great place to build a respectable resume.
Business Tutor (Current Employee) –  Angola, INDecember 16, 2014
Everyone respects one another. The work is fun and the atmosphere is even better.
Mostly a team job and a leadership role.
Resident Adviser (Former Employee) –  Angola, INSeptember 4, 2014
I would have enjoyed this job a lot more if the culture of the job would have been more welcoming. My peers were my co-workers, my bosses, and my clients. This made things difficult because I could not please everyone all of the time. Along with my fellow team members, I would plan and execute events to promote community awareness within the residence halls while sending various messages about health and wellness.
Pros
No set work hours
Cons
Co-workers were always divided into cliques.
Great People unfortunately higher level staff does not appreciate effort.
Past Employee (Former Employee) –  Angola, INJune 20, 2014
Tough, demanding and often never enough kind of workplace. Behind the times from an employment perspective and upper management are often hard to please with very little help. They take "do more with less" to an extreme.

Faculty are outstanding!