Trinity-Pawling School, an independent preparatory boys school in Pawling, New York is seeking an individual for the position of Director of Buildings and Grounds.
The Director of Buildings and Grounds provides leadership and supervision of the maintenance, renovation, cleaning, replacement and renovation of dormitories, homes/apartments, furnishings and grounds. The Director supervises three professional staff and is responsible for their departmental staff and contractual staff who provide services for 8 dormitories housing 250 students, 44 apartments and family housing units for faculty. The Director needs to develop strong partnerships with other School offices and work collaboratively with faculty and students. The Director also oversees outside contracts relating to buildings and grounds, which include renovation and new construction. The individual filling this position must have a willingness to work non-standard hours, including weekends and evenings, and trouble shoot and respond to emergency situations as needed.
- Ensures that all projects are developed and managed to meet their respective budgets, schedule and quality standards;
- Develops and manages an annual departmental budget of $2.5 million;
- Develops long-range plans and capital improvement program in line with the School’s ten year plan and annual needs;
- Provides leadership, vision and direction for all capital improvements, construction, renovation, and maintenance of buildings and grounds;
- Develops, reviews and monitors procedures for implementing capital construction, renovation and major repairs. Evaluates and makes recommendations on best choice/course of action according to project scope and budget;
- Negotiates contracts with outside vendors for services;
- Monitors/reviews capital construction, major repairs and renovation projects daily or weekly as projects require;
- Meets regularly with design, engineering consultants and project managers to effectively monitor project progress;
- Coordinates summer programs/camps and scheduling of rink ice time for outside groups;
- Requires a thorough understanding of federal, state and local regulations in relation to facilities and property management;
- Manages energy conservation efforts to reduce consumption and costs;
- Provides oversight of all emergency responses on campus on a 24 hour basis;
- Works effectively with School customers, students, vendors and others;
- Represents needs and concerns of employees and the department to senior management;
- Provides necessary performance feedback and coaching to enhance staff performance;
- Establishes and maintains a collaborative climate with co-workers, students, parents, and trustees;
- Partners with the Headmaster and Business Manager to prepare annual capital and operating budgets;
- Requires an ability to contribute as a member of our Senior Management team;
- Performs related duties as required or assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: BS/BBA in business, engineering, architecture, or related field with knowledge of and familiarity with processes relating to facilities development and management. 8 years progressively responsible for experience in facilities management, strategic planning, facilities management and/or business operations of a complex organization. Strong record in development of innovative and sustainable solutions in facility planning, design, or construction. Demonstrated effective and positive interpersonal organizational, and communication skills including building effective working relationships with internal and external constituents in a complex organization. Strong work ethic with demonstrated collaborative and coordinative skills. Demonstrated ability to work and interact effectively with multiple people/groups to fulfill projects needs/goals. Knowledge of innovative business & management strategies and sustainable practices as it relates to facilities and grounds management. Demonstrated ability to foster a working environment that provides a high level of customer service to campus community and external constituents. This includes courteous, prompt and informative responses to questions/issues and clear processes to collect and address constituent concerns.
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS: MS/MBA in management, planning or related field. 10 years or more of supervisory experience in a university/school physical plant department. Knowledge of higher education or independent school infrastructure necessary to provide sound campus services as it relates to buildings, grounds and related services. Demonstrated results in managing a department in a highly productive and service oriented organization.
SALARY: commensurate with experience and qualifications.