Trinity Rail Employee Reviews in United States

its a job, nothing more
Welder (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKMarch 31, 2016
your job is your life here, dont make plans for the weekend, or any vacation time promised. dont count on that raise you were promised 5 months ago, dont look to the leadmen to be leaders or workers, they are just there complaining at you to hurry up. higher position leaders like to get the employees in groups and complain about hours used, money spent, repairs, ect. ect.
good place to work
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 30, 2015
This job is fun and management was good to all employees.
You learned a lot and move around quickly and had advancement too. Moving around equipment and learning how it works was fun.
Pros
hour lunch to relax
Cons
dirty job very long hours
trinity is my family
Class A Welder (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, TXMarch 9, 2016
great job, just like family there. also excellent job training.
loved the experience, and wonderful benefits.
I actually hate to be leaving. this job experience has helped me mature, and grow as a productive part of society.
Pros
free lunches, great health benefits
Cons
Pretty good place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 4, 2016
Trinity has ok pay and benefits. its a very fast paced work pace and the number mean everything to them. some of the supervisors are great people on and off the clock. but it is a scary place to work due to maint issues
Pros
Ok pay and befifits
Cons
bad maint
productive and good place to improve skills
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXFebruary 4, 2016
happy with all ive learned in this place sadly we got layed off because of gas prices ..but i feel ready to continue my career in welding and go as far as i can ..
work place with great benefits and hours
Fitter/Welder III (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAApril 7, 2016
I enjoy my work and the hours are really and extra bonus with enough time off to enjoy my evening at home, Tough job with the changing of cars at times but with enough time to get up to production.
Pros
This company seems to care about our well being and really good to veterans.
Ok
Machinest (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 19, 2016
Ok place to work for,if only buildings 1,11/2,and building 2 needs exhaust system to suck out carbon,and metal dust out.Install newer machinery in all buildings for better improved production.
Pros
Yearly paid bonus
Cons
Attendence point system
Productive and fun workplace
Welder (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAApril 22, 2016
It was hard work and the days went by really fast. I was a welder at this company and enjoyed every minute of it.
Anyone would be pleased to work for this company in Cartersville, GA.
good pay
Mobile Operator (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, TXDecember 4, 2015
a typical day at trinity rail for me was basic, I delivered the parts need to build tank carts when was called on the radio. Over all easy and good pay for the work I did
Pros
good pay
Cons
short lunch breaks and are on the kronos point system
Good place.
Logistics / Supply Chain Admin (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 16, 2015
Still new here but it's an ok place to work. Pay is very low but benefits are decent.

Kind of a sink or swim mentallity with my new position. The politics are very hard to see through as well.

When given a task to complete, it's almost as if it's an impossible job due to other managers and employees not wanting to be involved.
Pros
benefits, some nice people.
Cons
pay, limited ot, and involvement of managers is low. "sink or swim"
Interesting company to work. Enjoyed my time there
Design Drafter, Manufacturing Services (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 7, 2015
Trinity Rail is a railroad car manufacturer located in southwest Oklahoma City. I first started work at Trinity as a second shift shop employee. During that time I learned a great deal about how rail cars are actually built. When an opening in the Manufacturing Services Department I was approached to see if i would be interested in the position of Tooling Designer. I was impressed that they preferred to promote from within. The management and co-workers were all more than willing to explain the processes and procedures of rail car manufacturing. I was very disappointed when the plant was closed due a business slump.
Pros
interesting product, knowledgeable employees, low employee turnover
Cons
unfortunate decision by corporate office
A great company the cares about their employees.
B class welder (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 30, 2015
The typical work day is 10 hours long. I learned more about welding in 2 months then school taught me in 9 months. Management listened to us and allowed us to get necessary tools to do a job the correct way. Management made sure to put co-workers together that got along to make for a better work environment. the long hours when you are training a new employee. They wanted everyone to go home safe after each shift.
Pros
enjoyable job
Cons
short lunch time
great place to work
Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 25, 2015
Wonderful experience. enjoyed going to work every day. for years enjoyed the work, until the word out-source entered into managments vocabulary. they shut down the plant, moved it to mexico. they didn't seem to mind 225 people lost their jobs.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
roof leaked. building flooded during heavy rain.
productive and hard work
welder (Former Employee) –  Cooper, TXSeptember 10, 2015
6/12s a week, work was based off production. enjoyed being busy, didn't like working night shift. employees were well to work with, and productive.
fun learning experience job taught me a lot
Welder Operator (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJuly 16, 2015
Well we always started the day with saftey meeting discuss any saftey hazards help keep everyone safe on shift after lunch we meet again everybody got along worked as a team hrdest thing was me getting welding down i had the grinder a lot bonus chk every three months excellent
Pros
steak dinners for doing good
Productive and great place to work talking sports all year long.
Welder/Assembler/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAMay 6, 2013
The positions at Trinity were very demanding, your performance had to be at a high level in order to achieve production. In order to obtain the team leader position productivity was a must and it required consistency. I liked being able to interact with management and the people I worked with. It was an experience that will help me going forward in life.
Pros
great benefits, and pension plan
Cons
inadequate training when first hired
Production Plant
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 2, 2015
Great place to build weld experience. It is a fast paced production plant. MIG weld 1, 2, 3, and 4G on train tanks. Follow safety procedures and wear all proper PPE at all times.
Productive company to work for.
Fitter (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 7, 2015
A typical day working for Trinity is just making sure that the whole team is working together and making sure all the tanks were welded to perfection, and that they were shipped out in a timely manner.
Great place to learn
Welder/Fitter 2 (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, TXJune 21, 2015
typically at Trinity Rail in saginaw your work schedule is 50 hours per week. I worked the 2nd shift I would arrive at 4:30pm and work until 3:00am. We would break for a 50 minute break at 8:30pm, 30 minutes of it was your meal break, the remaining 20 minutes were two allotted 10 minute breaks in one. I was a little shaky when it came to FCAW but they have an onsite school house and after one week and 200lbs of weld metal I became quite proficient at 3G/F and 4G/F. I worked in the production area as a welder II, the work was simple as long as you could follow the instructions. It felt good to get as many cars done from your station.
The bad part though we didn't work many 50 hour weeks, often times we left the plant at 4:30am six days a week. 70 to 75 work weeks were becoming routine and mandatory isn't optional it is required. The production shop I worked in had poorly serviced equipment and underperforming leadership.

It was difficult to find out what the exact standards were at times regarding the specifications for the rail cars; the QA/QC, the lead men, the shop supervisors would all have their own interpretation of the specifications which made doing your job difficult and very frustrating.

I quit the job after I was electrocuted twice in two nights from the same welding machine. After the first incident maintenance refused to red tag the machine and after the second incident the shift supervisor remarked if I went to the hospital points would be deducted from my attendance record and I would have to report to HR. Coincidentally two days after I resigned another
  more... welder was electrocuted and burned by the same welding machine.

I do not believe the corporation knows the extent of the problems within the plants as these problems are a hindrance to the overall production.
Pros
Benefits, Overtime, weekly pay
Cons
mandatory overtime, poor leadership, poor equipment
Sorry management ,
x ray welder (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXNovember 13, 2013
Good luck .. lol still collecting unemployment from them. Be ready for politics and high school all over again. Best part of the day… I don't think there was one , someone hounding you like a dog looking over your shoulder the whole time , yea. Stuck it out for a year then got laid off because when they said jump, I didn't respond how high. They did not care that I have a 9 month old , all they care about is your submission to someone who has no business supervising there own kid much less a work production line. Don't expect a day off, they have no idea what that is. 7 days a week 10 to 12 hours a day is nice but not when that is your life trust me or don't….
Pros
bonuses that never happen
Cons
non compliable osha breaks