Trinity Rail Employee Reviews

good place to work
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXSeptember 30, 2015
This job is fun and management was good to all employees.
You learned a lot and move around quickly and had advancement too. Moving around equipment and learning how it works was fun.
Pros
hour lunch to relax
Cons
dirty job very long hours
great place to work
Maintenance Lead (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOSeptember 25, 2015
Wonderful experience. enjoyed going to work every day. for years enjoyed the work, until the word out-source entered into managments vocabulary. they shut down the plant, moved it to mexico. they didn't seem to mind 225 people lost their jobs.
Pros
great work enviroment
Cons
roof leaked. building flooded during heavy rain.
productive and hard work
welder (Former Employee) –  Cooper, TXSeptember 10, 2015
6/12s a week, work was based off production. enjoyed being busy, didn't like working night shift. employees were well to work with, and productive.
Production Plant
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 2, 2015
Great place to build weld experience. It is a fast paced production plant. MIG weld 1, 2, 3, and 4G on train tanks. Follow safety procedures and wear all proper PPE at all times.
fun learning experience job taught me a lot
Welder Operator (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJuly 16, 2015
Well we always started the day with saftey meeting discuss any saftey hazards help keep everyone safe on shift after lunch we meet again everybody got along worked as a team hrdest thing was me getting welding down i had the grinder a lot bonus chk every three months excellent
Pros
steak dinners for doing good
Did not enjoy working there.
Q.A. INSPECTOR (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 8, 2015
Safety Practices were not consistent of what was said in Safety Orientation. No one took safety seriously and would not listen to safety concerns.
Productive company to work for.
Fitter (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXJuly 7, 2015
A typical day working for Trinity is just making sure that the whole team is working together and making sure all the tanks were welded to perfection, and that they were shipped out in a timely manner.
Great place to learn
Welder/Fitter 2 (Former Employee) –  Saginaw, TXJune 21, 2015
typically at Trinity Rail in saginaw your work schedule is 50 hours per week. I worked the 2nd shift I would arrive at 4:30pm and work until 3:00am. We would break for a 50 minute break at 8:30pm, 30 minutes of it was your meal break, the remaining 20 minutes were two allotted 10 minute breaks in one. I was a little shaky when it came to FCAW but they have an onsite school house and after one week and 200lbs of weld metal I became quite proficient at 3G/F and 4G/F. I worked in the production area as a welder II, the work was simple as long as you could follow the instructions. It felt good to get as many cars done from your station.
The bad part though we didn't work many 50 hour weeks, often times we left the plant at 4:30am six days a week. 70 to 75 work weeks were becoming routine and mandatory isn't optional it is required. The production shop I worked in had poorly serviced equipment and underperforming leadership.

It was difficult to find out what the exact standards were at times regarding the specifications for the rail cars; the QA/QC, the lead men, the shop supervisors would all have their own interpretation of the specifications which made doing your job difficult and very frustrating.

I quit the job after I was electrocuted twice in two nights from the same welding machine. After the first incident maintenance refused to red tag the machine and after the second incident the shift supervisor remarked if I went to the hospital points would be deducted from my attendance record and I would have to report to HR. Coincidentally two days after I resigned another
  more... welder was electrocuted and burned by the same welding machine.

I do not believe the corporation knows the extent of the problems within the plants as these problems are a hindrance to the overall production.
Pros
Benefits, Overtime, weekly pay
Cons
mandatory overtime, poor leadership, poor equipment
The disorganization was hard to overcome.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  TXJune 16, 2015
I didn't particularly enjoy working the night shift. The shop itself was disorganized and dangerous. There were trip hazards in the walkways...
Interesting company to work. Enjoyed my time there
Design Drafter, Manufacturing Services (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 7, 2015
Trinity Rail is a railroad car manufacturer located in southwest Oklahoma City. I first started work at Trinity as a second shift shop employee. During that time I learned a great deal about how rail cars are actually built. When an opening in the Manufacturing Services Department I was approached to see if i would be interested in the position of Tooling Designer. I was impressed that they preferred to promote from within. The management and co-workers were all more than willing to explain the processes and procedures of rail car manufacturing. I was very disappointed when the plant was closed due a business slump.
Pros
interesting product, knowledgeable employees, low employee turnover
Cons
unfortunate decision by corporate office
good
Welder 3 (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXMarch 20, 2015
Fine until i had gottten moved to a position i didn't want, other than that the people and work were fine.
That's it.
welding
good
all
Great Job
Class A Materials Coordinator/Forklift Opperator (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 27, 2015
This is the best job I have ever had. Very friendly co-workers and supervisor. The hour are good and this is a career job. a place you can work for a long time.
Fun place to work.
Blacksmith, welder, machinist, CNC maintenance (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAFebruary 25, 2015
There was no such thing as a typical day for me at this job. Some days I would be welding, working at my forge, performing maintenance, operating CNC machines, etc. I was pretty much a floating asset. I enjoyed the randomness of it all and took it as a challenge to exceed goals set by more seasoned people who operated only in one position.
Pros
chances to prove myself, making things with my hands.
Cons
it was cold in the winter, being an open shop.
productive
Welder/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 19, 2015
I would go into work clock in then I would attend a brief meeting, I learned how to weld with this company . management was great.. the hardest part of the job was standing 12 hours a day.. I most enjoyed the people I worked with
Good place.
Logistics / Supply Chain Admin (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 16, 2015
Still new here but it's an ok place to work. Pay is very low but benefits are decent.

Kind of a sink or swim mentallity with my new position. The politics are very hard to see through as well.

When given a task to complete, it's almost as if it's an impossible job due to other managers and employees not wanting to be involved.
Pros
benefits, some nice people.
Cons
pay, limited ot, and involvement of managers is low. "sink or swim"
My typical day
Fitter Welder (Current Employee) –  Longview, TXFebruary 14, 2015
On a typical day I would weld pads on 3 to 4 tanks. Clean up my work station after every tank. Make sure the pad were tacked on right, before starting to weld them on.
Pros
made good money
Cons
7 days a week 12 hours a day
A great company the cares about their employees.
B class welder (Former Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 30, 2015
The typical work day is 10 hours long. I learned more about welding in 2 months then school taught me in 9 months. Management listened to us and allowed us to get necessary tools to do a job the correct way. Management made sure to put co-workers together that got along to make for a better work environment. the long hours when you are training a new employee. They wanted everyone to go home safe after each shift.
Pros
enjoyable job
Cons
short lunch time
The most Productiv plant the had.
Welder / Crane oppewrator / Grinder operator (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJanuary 17, 2015
I was the only one on our line who had over time accumulated. My best friend now was my supervisor back then. We had to be time efficient to keep production Quota at the end of the day. We accomplished this by working together as a team on the assembly line. The best part about the job was unity as a group and the ten hour shifts.
Pros
get into work get the job done safely and going home.
Cons
keeping the bad apples in line.
good work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXJanuary 8, 2015
learned how to work fabricating machines. good management. nice coworkers. hard work and good pay.
Have to work 6 days a week to make a living
Maintenance Tech` (Former Employee) –  Vidor, TXDecember 8, 2014
Most of the management has been there a while and they just do what they have to "it rolls downhill" as they say high turnover rate.
Pros
monthly safety bonus
Cons
you hardly ever get it here