Trion Worlds Employee Reviews in United States

Amazing place that gives an opportunity to entry level customer service employees.
Tier 1 Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 30, 2015
'Come as you are' and work with the most professional leaders in the gaming industry was the motto that I took from joining their amazing teams. It was a short entry class (Only 1 week) to learn the general process of the product we were assisting with. Hardest part of the job was learning new software we were using, while keeping incoming tickets filed properly and accurately! It was unfortunate to give away a Black Pearl ship to an undeserving customer, but it was what lead to a change to one of the policies that made customer service more productive! Loved this company with all my heart.
Pros
Free Breakfasts/Lunches/Dinners depending on your shift
Cons
Constantly need to perform at your best! The only con, if it is a con, I could think of.
I enjoyed 98 percent of my time with Trion Worlds.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 2, 2015
Everything I dealt with within the Trion Worlds company was under NDA however what I can say is though my work was stressful it was satisfying and I enjoyed it.
Pros
Amazing management and HR
Cons
Sometimes stressful work environment with a focus on production over quality
Overworked, underpaid
Game Master (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 19, 2015
Trion is promising as a company. But as with mos gaming companies, job security should not be expected. You can expect a massive workload. You won't be paid what you're worth, but the coworkers are great.
Pros
great coworkers, fun office
Cons
too much work, poor managment
Productive, challenging and surprisingly stable
Sr. QA Lead (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 10, 2014
I loved almost every minute of my crunch-laden, race for the finish line five years at Trion. I started at the bottom, ascended quickly, was mentored along the way by a great boss, had every opportunity to succeed, was never hamstrung by anyone internally or backstabbed. I loved it and would recommend the company to anyone who is looking for a well-managed opportunity.
Amazing people and atmosphere
QA Tester (Former Employee) –  San DiegoJanuary 29, 2014
I loved working with Trion it was the best job I had ever had. I learned so much about the industry and even had a chance to go to E3!
Great place to work!
Technical Support and Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 9, 2014
Arrive early to take advantage of the free food and beverages provided. You could really tell that the management cared about the products. Co-workers are all friendly people who worked their best even over long hours. I really enjoyed the whole experience, great work environment, and great people.
Pros
a lot of hours, free food.
Began as a start-up (employee #25) and grew to almost 600 people. Great, casual work environment.
Executive Assistant to Founder/CEO (Former Employee) –  Redwood CitySeptember 20, 2013
Worked directly for the Founder/CEO of Trion. Co-workers were great to work with. Very talented group of individuals. It was a job that I always looked forward to going to everyday. Normal challenges, but given my experience and knowledge...there were no challenges that I was not able to meet and exceed expectations.
Pros
great benefits (medical, dental, 401k, on-site gym, etc). flexibility of time a big plus.
Poorly run company
Director, Project Management (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 5, 2013
No strategy or plan poor execution and poor products. Simply put an immature business that is failing fast.
Productive office environment
Experienced Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TexasAugust 30, 2013
Each day consisted of me logging into the Skype channel set up for my team of agents and greeting them with a friendly tone. From there I would review the queues and what work needed to be done, and hand out assignments to the agents I felt were best suited for the needs of the company.
Trion Worlds taught me a lot about managing a team and assessing my teams skill sets. I learned to identify key markers on my agents, such as how much stress a project is putting an agent under, how much time it takes them to complete, and the agents attitude toward their assignment.
The Management and the co-workers I was privileged enough to come into contact with during my employment there always seemed to be about helping one another rather than self advancement. Clear communication was met from the lowest tier of support all the way up to the department managers. Everyone had a voice.
The hardest part about the job was the lack of job security. I went into the job knowing that the video game industry is very volatile and that Trion, being a particularly new company, would have it's set backs. I am confident they kept me employed for as long as they could.
The most enjoyable part of the job were my coworkers. Everyday they were happy to see me and I was happy to see them. Upon learning that I had been laid off one of my co-workers described it as "the office just got darker without you here." This shows the types of relationships that developed during my brief 2 years there.
Pros
health insurance, free soda/snacks, casual environment
Cons
job security, california based health insurance
Great group of developers hindered by mis-management
Senior Technical Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 20, 2013
Sadly, Trion Worlds San Diego suffered from the curse of MMO games. Many talented developers had to be let go due to the project not performing well. The development of the game suffered from management's indecisions and with tight deadlines that could not slip, the amount of time we had to polish the game was limited. This resulted in a game that felt unfinished and the content that gamers demand from MMO games was very light.

However, I would be unfair to just point out the company's short coming without mentioning some of the great things about Trion. The work conditions was pretty good, although there was crunch time, they were also very forgiving and understood that people had lives outside of the company.
Fun Atmosphere
Account & Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2013
This was an awesome place to work. I just wasn't suited to call center environment. Should there have been another position open I would have stayed there. Game room and free food is great for employees.
A Toxic Mess of Mismanagement & Incompetence
Game Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 28, 2013
A typical day at Trion consisted of finding new ways to make incompetent decisions from my "superiors" actually work in practice. I learned that politics, subterfuge and chest-pounding were more important to management than actual experience or skill or the ability to produce.

Work days often stretched into 12-14+ hours and there was no compensation for doing this. Managers often went home at regular times, leaving a demoralized workforce to work through weekends and late into the night. When it came time for repaying lost holiday hours and enforced "crunch" times, the bulk of the employees were laid off (Good job, guys).

The most difficult part of the job was dealing with the toxic environment that was created as a result of people installed into positions they had no business being in. An overall mercenary sense of "everyone for themselves" took precedence over trying to collaborate and make a good product. The end result was the disaster, "Defiance", which garnered a roughly 6.1 meta-critic score (and rightfully so).

The most enjoyable part of the job was being laid off alongside my coworkers. This made it feel less personal when I found myself among so many others now out of work. The WARN act protected most of us from immediate termination but the absolutely anemic severance package will most likely leave many of us homeless (especially those of us with families) if new work isn't found soon.

I would strongly urge anyone considering employment here to look elsewhere as Trion is a completely disorganized mess of a company with absolutely no concept of internal scrutiny
  more... and self-regulation. Like some virulent parasite, the incompetent people that led to my (and many others') lay offs and terrible product launch, the sycophants and cronies will ultimately destroy this company.  less
Pros
bagels & doughnuts on fridays, casual dress code, located in sunny san diego
Cons
toxic work environment, incompetent management, horrific cronyism, no work/life balance, complete disorganiztion
A strong start but struggling
Senior System Designer (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 25, 2013
Trion started out as a great place to work with great hopes but after Rift's initial success seems to have lost it's way and is struggling from some poor decisions. The company has had numerous layoffs and is hemorrhaging their top talent.
Trion Worlds
Quality Assurance Tester (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXNovember 14, 2012
This place is an amazing place to work. The project I was working on was delayed so I was no longer needed, but I would go right back to work for this company if I was asked.