TripAdvisor Employee Reviews in United States

Actions speak louder than words
former employee (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJanuary 20, 2016
Promises. Promises. Promises. Promised me everything when I started . It was great for the first few months! We moved to a beautiful new building , lot's of perks/benefits... with not so many kind people. Respect level is low. The only employees that are seeing any type of financial gain are senior level management and senior level engineers. You will NEVER meet your goals. They are unobtainable. The yearly review process is ridiculous. No pay raises. The turnaround is huge. A revolving door. HR is useless. They are so disorganized and uneducated on policies and procedures. If I needed an answer to a question, no one had it, or they had the wrong answer. Wouldn't pick up phones. It was quite frustrating. The Vacation rentals president was nasty and rude.

As for the free lunches.. attractive but not worth the pain and suffering to work there. They do have a bar on site. These perks do attract the younger culture.
Pros
Nice buillding, perks, benefits
Cons
not so great atmosphere
Great stepping stone
Coordinator, HRIS (Current Employee) –  Needham, MAMarch 3, 2016
Great company to get experience but there is little opportunity to grow. They have great benefits, great lunch options and snacks. The company is growing and with comes typical growing pains.
Pros
free lunch, great benefits package, casual dress code
Cons
little growth opportunity, under market pay
TripAdvisor is a great place to work
Accounting Manager - Vacation Rentals, January (Former Employee) –  Boston, MADecember 10, 2015
TripAdvisor is a great place to work. Smart people work there but less arrogance which makes the work environment easy to work in. All of the benefits also makes it worth while, but beware sometimes can be a bit overwhelming in terms on working a lot.
Pros
Free lunches, 100% employer paid benefits to employee only
Cons
Limited resources
Great to work with a great company
Global Brand Marketing Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Newton, MAAugust 4, 2015
The best thing about TripAdvisor is the people who work there. Everyone is incredibly smart and always pushing the company forward in new ways. My understanding of the industry grew incredibly during my time there. Surrounding yourself by smart people is always a great benefit. Free lunch everyday isn't bad either, especially if it's restaurant quality! Management has high expectations and people usually start packing up around 5:30.
The pros outweigh the cons
Individual contributor (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 7, 2015
In general, I agree with one of the prior reviewers, whose "Cons" for TripAdvisor read: "Unfocused and immature management, a highly enefficient [sic] workplace with minimal room for career advancement."

However, I don't agree with everything this person said - there's a lot more to it than that.

Let's start with the negatives (bear in mind, this is based on my own experiences as well as those of others - but is not necessarily universal):
1- Much of the middle management (including Directors) was promoted from within. This sounds good - why is it bad? Because they are high-performing, type A folks promoted for their individual contributions and tenure, NOT for their managerial skills and potential. This means that a key layer of management is, as the other person put it, "unfocused and immature." This leads to micro-management, squabbles, and general dissatisfaction - as well as inefficient hiring practices. Speaking of...
2- The hiring process is terrible. Communication - which should be good, since there's a dedicated, internal recruiter between the candidate and the hiring manager - is often slow and tough come by, and there can be long lags in the process for no good reason. The recruiters are hit-or-miss - many are fantastic, but the better they are, the more likely they are to be saddled with far more positions than they should have to handle.
3- Part of the hiring issue is that candidates interviewing for individual contributor roles are often interviewing for 2-3 roles at a time - contributor, senior contributor, and even associate (junior) contributor at the
  more... same position - without being told. So if someone comes in to interview for a Senior Engineer role, but doesn't have the experience, they could be offered an Engineer position - but they didn't know that was an option until they received the offer. This is "sand-bagging" at its worst, and some hiring managers are more guilty of it than others, but the fact that it's allowed at all is unfortunate.
4- Career advancement of direct reports doesn't seem to be at all interesting to the middle management layer. There's a general attitude of "Show me you want to move up, show me you deserve to move up, then convince me WHY you should move up... and I'll consider it" among the managers and directors, rather than them acting as allies and advocates and helping their team members advance. This could be because the company doesn't want people moving up the ladder too quickly, but it causes good people to leave the company too early if they're at all ambitious.

Now for the good (and there's a lot):
1- The people (individual contributors) are fantastic. I've never worked with a more intelligent, enjoyable group that loves to solve problems.
2- The pay is competitive-plus.
3- The benefits are extraordinary. From the fitness/gym/sports reimbursement to the travel benefit to free lunches five days a week in a brand-new, catered facility, it's clear that the company wants to make their employees happy... at least with superficial things.
4- Chance to work on exciting products.
5- Equity in a billion-dollar (revenue) company.
6- (and this is a huge one) Exciting brand with a great reputation among other companies, especially in the Boston area. If you succeed at Trip, other companies know that you can do the work they ask of you, and will come calling. So 2 years of Trip on your resume will get you plenty of interviews for a one-level bump at a number of other firms.

I enjoy working for TripAdvisor, and recommend it to friends. It's not for everyone, and the cons can be dealbreakers for some people, but it's a good place to work with diverse, friendly coworkers, good pay, and a fun overall experience.
Pros
Pay, people, benefits, HQ, free lunch, equity, good brand to launch you to next position
Cons
Mediocre middle management, unfortunate hiring process, lack of career opportunities
a very aggressive workplace
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newton, MAJune 25, 2014
If you are into the culture of fast paced for the sake of fast-paced, then this is the place for you, and if you are an engineer you are in a good place, but unfortunately, the positives of this company do not extend to the administrative positions, where the Human Resources department is hostile, ineffective and joyless, and that extends outward. Benefits and compensation were great, but not worth the bad feeling you leave each day with.
Pros
free lunches, benefits, cash-rich company
Cons
hr, culture, upper management
This is an unpaid position, it's voluntary
Independent Hospitality and Restaurant Reviewer (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJuly 6, 2015
I love writing and photographing the reviews I deliver. I have focused on Hotel's, restaurants, and things to do. TripAdvisor is based on individuals who write about their experience that forms a consortium for a particular place. Being a chef myself, and customer focused, I always will meet the manager, and get a brief story of what I am writing about to personalize it. This is a passion of mine and am a Top Contributor of TripAdvisor with many badges and followers who read my reviews. I would love to incorporate my experience in the food, hospitality and travel that I have years of experience doing.
Pros
When you truly find your passion and what your good at, money is not all that important
Cons
You have to pay the bills!
A busy but uneventful and counterproductive workplace
Product Manager (Former Employee) –  San FranciscoDecember 19, 2014
On the good side, people are quite diverse and interesting, but management is extraordinarily immature and unfocused, with their products reflecting this mood: this is the mega-mammoth of travel services, and it just about sums it up - big, grotesquely uncultured and massively inefficient.

Imagine having 10+ years of experience but reporting directly to someone who has half that... and has never shipped a new product before he/she joined the firm. Your days feel empty, scrambled and uneventful, and you are being micromanaged (that's what people do when they perceive you as a threat or when your product management role is downplayed to the level of a technical project manager, whereas your contribution to the product's roadmap is limited to writing technical documentation). Chances of career advancement? Zero to none.

Shame on me - I should have known better: when you have shipped roughly 5 times more marketable products than your hiring manager, your career is going nowhere... and sadly, no one cares that the department is managed poorly.

Ironically, if you do get hired into an environment like this and are good at what you do, you *will* be perceived as a threat unless you are good at playing dumb. Combine this with the fact that many of their developers are overseas and you will have to collaborate by getting on the phone at 4am or 9pm a couple of times every week, and this will not sit well with you unless you are a workaholic willing to work for a 10+ year old company that iterates products like there is no tomorrow but offers you zero equity in return for your hard work.
  more...

That said, I am quite unexcited about working for TripAdvisor or for any of its subsidiaries (e.g., Viator) again in the future, even if my pay is much higher.
Pros
diverse culture
Cons
unfocused and immature management, a highly enefficient workplace with minimal room for career advancement
Great Company work for!
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Newton, MASeptember 10, 2012
Company provides great salary, fun work environment along with health benefits. They focus on keeping you happy by catering lunch 2-3x week snacks, coffee etc. Amazing place to be part of .
Pros
free lunch + snacks
Cons
hard to hear back from hr
Exciting culture in the suburbs
Talent Acquisition (Former Employee) –  Newton, MANovember 20, 2014
Exciting opportunities working at a fun, lively HQ with "speed wins" mentality