TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor Employee Reviews

This is an unpaid position, it's voluntary
Independent Hospitality and Restaurant Reviewer (Former Employee), Needham, MAJuly 6, 2015
Pros: When you truly find your passion and what your good at, money is not all that important
Cons: You have to pay the bills!
I love writing and photographing the reviews I deliver. I have focused on Hotel's, restaurants, and things to do. TripAdvisor is based on individuals who write about their experience that forms a consortium for a particular place. Being a chef myself, and customer focused, I always will meet the manager, and get a brief story of what I am writing about to personalize it. This is a passion of mine and am a Top Contributor of TripAdvisor with many badges and followers who read my reviews. I would love to incorporate my experience in the food, hospitality and travel that I have years of experience doing.
A busy but uneventful and counterproductive workplace
Product Manager (Former Employee), San FranciscoDecember 19, 2014
Pros: diverse culture
Cons: unfocused and immature management, a highly enefficient workplace with minimal room for career advancement
On the good side, people are quite diverse and interesting, but management is extraordinarily immature and unfocused, with their products reflecting this mood: this is the mega-mammoth of travel services, and it just about sums it up - big, grotesquely uncultured and massively inefficient.

Imagine having 10+ years of experience but reporting directly to someone who has half that... and has never shipped a new product before he/she joined the firm. Your days feel empty, scrambled and uneventful, and you are being micromanaged (that's what people do when they perceive you as a threat or when your product management role is downplayed to the level of a technical project manager, whereas your contribution to the product's roadmap is limited to writing technical documentation). Chances of career advancement? Zero to none.

Shame on me - I should have known better: when you have shipped roughly 5 times more marketable products than your hiring manager, your career is going nowhere... and sadly, no one cares that the department is managed poorly.

Ironically, if you do get hired into an environment like this and are good at what you do, you *will* be perceived as a threat unless you are good at playing dumb. Combine this with the fact that many of their developers are overseas and you will have to collaborate by getting on the phone at 4am or 9pm a couple of times every week, and this will not sit well with you unless you are a workaholic willing to work for a 10+ year old company that iterates products like there is no tomorrow but offers you zero equity in return for your hard work.

That said, I am quite unexcited about working for TripAdvisor or for any of its subsidiaries (e.g., Viator) again in the future, even if my pay is much higher.
a very aggressive workplace
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee), Newton, MAJune 25, 2014
Pros: free lunches, benefits, cash-rich company
Cons: hr, culture, upper management
If you are into the culture of fast paced for the sake of fast-paced, then this is the place for you, and if you are an engineer you are in a good place, but unfortunately, the positives of this company do not extend to the administrative positions, where the Human Resources department is hostile, ineffective and joyless, and that extends outward. Benefits and compensation were great, but not worth the bad feeling you leave each day with.
Great Company work for!
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee), Newton, MASeptember 10, 2012
Pros: free lunch + snacks
Cons: hard to hear back from hr
Company provides great salary, fun work environment along with health benefits. They focus on keeping you happy by catering lunch 2-3x week snacks, coffee etc. Amazing place to be part of .

About TripAdvisor

TripAdvisor® is the world's largest travel site*, enabling travelers to plan and have the perfect trip. TripAdvisor offers – Read more