Are you an EHS Supervisor looking to make the jump to an EHS Manager or an EHS Manager looking for a more challenging position? If so, then Trojan Battery Company has an opportunity for you as an Environmental & Safety Manager at our Lithonia, GA battery manufacturing facility. This position will be responsible for the development, coordination and management of the company safety and environmental program in a lean environment. The successful candidate will be responsible for supervising the environmental and janitorial staff while fostering a work environment with the highest of safety and quality standards.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate the safety program to ensure a safe environment that is consistent with regulatory, environmental, and company requirements and needs
- Operate and maintain water treatment and waste water equipment, ensuring compliance with state and federal environmental protection limits
- Prepare reports and maintain logs for water treatment systems on meter readings, tests, chemical and equipment usage, and all other record-keeping requirements
- Build a cohesive team with the skills necessary to successfully meet the departmental/company objectives and strategies.
- Communicate training information in a formal classroom setting and conduct on-the-job training on various safety and environmental programs
- Maintain safety and environmental records and log books up-to-date
- Assist with cost-control efforts and participate in manufacturing improvement committees
- Interface with OSHA and various environmental programs inspectors
- Study, plan and formulate new and revised safety programs, JSA’s, and rules: prepare recommendations and implement for conformance.
- Responsible for effective application of safety and environmental policies and practices and to investigate and eliminate hazardous conditions and unsafe practices.
- Keeps supervisory personnel apprised of hazardous conditions and practices through safety and environmental training sessions, meetings, manuals, bulletins, films, etc.
- Study work operations, details of nature of the work, materials and equipment used, products and byproducts, and employee workforce profile.
- Coordinate safety and industrial hygiene to obtain optimum service with insurance carriers
- Investigate serious injuries/incidents in conjunction with line and staff personnel, HR and Occupational Health Nurse.
- Work with medical department to follow high-cost or precedent-setting workers’ compensation cases.
- Assist line and staff management to understand OSHA regulations and standards, including guidance on handling OSHA compliance, inspections and citations
- Manage and maintain appropriate permitting requirements.
- Keep apprised of developments in federal and state safety and applicable environmental laws likely to affect the company.
- Experience with hazardous materials management
- Must be able to work in lead acid battery manufacturing environment
- Successfully manage the environmental/safety group by exemplary leadership, integrity and character
- Working knowledge of safety regulations, OSHA, EPA, hazardous materials, and emergency preparedness
- Ability to work independently in a highly professional manner
- Strong interpersonal skills in managing people and communicating with all levels of employees and management
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental, Health, and Safety preferred
- 5-7 years of experience as EHS Supervisor or Specialist
- Previous experience within a manufacturing environment preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required