Troon Golf Employee Reviews

Ocitillo golf resort chandler is an awful place to work
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 1, 2016
Owners wife does not care about her emplyees. She and other managers do not care about the workplace OR the culture of the workplace . Everyone is expendable and considered a dime a dozen..and don't worry cause that's what you will get paid. They make up lies to get rid of emplyees to cover their own problems. Very inconsiderate no matter how hard you work for them or for how long. Don't bother working here or just use it as a stepping stone cause that's all you will be treated like. Worst company I have ever worked for.
Pros
Nice scenery
Cons
Management and owners wife are aweful and do not care about people
Not a great place to work
Accountant (Former Employee) –  CorporateSeptember 16, 2016
The corporate office has a lot of low performing employees, some of whom have been around for a long time. Rather than mentor or give them some training, they just hire more people to compensate. Atmosphere is strange, people are rather stand offish, and expectations are very unrealistic. They don't know what they want so they change processes frequently. I was not there long.
Pros
Early release on Friday during the summer months
Cons
No internal controls, cold people, weird atmosphere, no investment in technology
all work and no pay
Head Mechanic (Former Employee) –  el macero CCJune 19, 2016
I have worked for troon golf for a few years, it was great in the beginning,but soon became the most negative work environment I have ever had the misfortune of being in. the wages were substandard for the work I was doing. do yourself a favor and look elsewhere for employment
Pros
free food and drinks
Cons
very negative work environment, working holidays
Poor Management, Great Idea
Head Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Millsboro, DEJuly 13, 2016
Working for troon as a company was mainly very enjoyable, however the management choice at my facility was very poor and negatively impacted both my job and the facility as a whole in terms of customer satisfaction.
Good golf benefits
Food and Beverage (Former Employee) –  Ocotillo Golf CourseFebruary 7, 2012
Ocotillo Golf has evolved into a company that needs guidance and direction. Their turn-over rate for upper management is very high. The owners have changed their focus from creating a enjoyable environment for customers and employees to money driven bottom lines, with no incentives for employees to work hard.
Pros
free golf
Cons
short or no breaks, no pay raises, unreasonable owners, no direction or leadership
Was treated horribly and lied to on a regular basis.
Kitchen Steward (Former Employee) –  Fountain Hills, AZJanuary 15, 2016
I have never been treated with such disrespect or been taken advantage of in such a nature. When I had reported specific occurrences to human resources they accused me of lying and did not even bother to investigate the truth.
Awful place to work
Pro shop (Former Employee) –  AzOctober 2, 2015
Quintero Golf Course has the absolute worst management I have ever encountered in my career. They are just not good people. They lie to employees and get people fired by minipulation and lies. That is my experience there.
Pros
Cons
The man running is a major idiot
one of the nicer places ive lived and cooked. i was lucky to be a part of it all
Lead line cook (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZDecember 24, 2015
loved everything about it. its a big family that all care about one another and working with them was a joy. If i had to pick a place to go back to at this moment it would be there
Golf Course Management
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYNovember 4, 2015
If you have a passion for the game of golf, Troon may be a company to explore. Managing courses across the U.S. and internationally, there are many opportunities to develop your career in different markets.
terrible place
Cook/ Prep-cook (Former Employee) –  Ocean View, DESeptember 11, 2015
A typical day at work Is so stress fully they are under staffed so your there like 50+ hours a week. I didn't learn anything new while I was there. management is terrible you can't even get a correct paycheck. the hardest part is working your station for two by yourself in a rush.
there is nothing fun about this job
Cons
no breaks at all
Poor Management
Executive Chef (Former Employee) –  NVMarch 16, 2015
Closed management with no opportunity for new management to give point of view or opinions. Workplace full of gossip and lack of professionalism. Management only cares about themselves, truth has no place in job culture. CEO very distant from club leadership. Lack of knowledge and training, low standards, bad quality of food.
Good people working, no chance for promotions.
Cons
low pay.
Productive and fun place to build new relationships, variety of work.
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 4, 2015
Overall a good experience, as well as enhancing my career path for the long term. Typical day was managing and over-seeing staff on construction dwg's. for clubhouses, managing any requests for information on any of the local clubhouses work, producing budgets for capital improvement's on individual properties, site visits, selecting furn./finishes/fabrics for re-models, writing purchase order's for item's within budget being ordered by the individual properties.
Pros
Variety of Projects in different countries to work on.
Cons
Wasn't diversified enough to withstand the recession.
Only Stayed for 2.5 months
Training Specialist (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, ArizonaJuly 29, 2015
I had realized on my 2nd day of work that I had made a huge mistake accepting a job offer at Troon Corporate. Wow, what a lasting impression already on my second day into the company. I observed one of the senior leaders making some very insensitive and offensive remarks during a leadership presentation to 450 people at an annual conference. I knew at that moment, this company was not the place for me.

As much as I appreciated my boss, and her boss, and my co-worker on my team, the department office the most unwelcoming experience at a job in my entire career.

There were even a couple of employees, in the same department, who made it their effort to barely make any communication with me the entire time I was there as well as approaching leadership, bypassing my own boss, with their "behind my back" thoughts of me, yet I did not let that affect my work performance.

Even though the company claims they are trying to be progressive it still has a "Good Ole Boy" feel to it and overall very uncomfortable work environment.

If it tells you anything, I left this job after 2.5 months without having a job in place...

There are some perks but in my situation, they absolutely did not outweigh the daily quirks!
Pros
Autonomy, staff get togethers, leaving early on Friday
Cons
Unfriendly co-workers, lack of connection from senior leadership, not many advancement opportunities at Corporate
Ballenisle is a beautiful community with a great membership.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ballenisle palm beacjh gardensJune 2, 2014
Great location and the membership was amazing. The upper management on the other hand was HORRIBLE. Ballenisle pretty much stole a local country club's food and beverage manager, floor manager and the sales and marketing director. When hiring these positions they found a way to squeeze out the prior management without notice. Turn over is good in most situations but to turn over 5 positions including a executive sous chef, executive chef, sales and marketing manager, off site sales manager and a assistant food and beverage manager all in one year is unheard of. The management style that was stolen from the local club was very forceful and had no regards for anyone's thoughts nor passion for prior success. In country clubs the hours are long and some what unforgiving. The pressure that is brought down by the General Manager is crazy to say the least. The GM and assistant GM were lacking in so many areas and not only despised by the staff but from the membership as well. The GM allowed a similar cutting of staff on the golf side as well. He found a way around the board and FIRED employees that had been employed there for 8+ years. This was brought to the attention of the board and every employee that was fired was asked to come back to work with a raise. The GM didn't show his face in the community for many weeks following. Human resources was very consistent by means of never following thru with anything. HR would always support the hourly employees but as far as management they had no back bone and things fell to the waist side constantly.
To sum it all up,
If you feel that
  more... you want to surround yourself with selfish, micro managing, lacking of experience upper management, this is the job for you. Be prepared to get used to their ways and your prior experience means nothing. My boss not once ever asked about my prior experience, nor did he care and I worked there for years. You will support the fact of bringing in foreign students "cheap labor" yearly and while the upper management enjoys the cost, the membership complains about poor service and the lack of training. Other than all that its a great place to drive through and enjoy the greens and beautiful flowers. There are 3 exits and 31 stop signs in the community. Your fast exit is never fast enough and the feeling that there's no place like home is a feeling you will never get from working there.  less
Pros
free golf
Cons
hours, hr consistancy and horrific upper management
Head mechanic (former employee) mesquite nv
head mecjanic (Former Employee) –  Mesquite nvAugust 14, 2014
This company fired my husband while under workman's comp. Injured himself on the job superintendent brought him to emergency and later was told he was expected to return to work the same day with open head wound which was weeping blood and an crushed ankle that he could not stand on. He was accused of being on pain medication during the accident yet the medication was prescribed to him after at the ER. They looked for all and any reason to disallow him to go back to work. They refuse to give anything in writing making it appear he quit on his own. He has not been released to full duty by the doctor. Just received a phone call from the GM stating he was drafting final check and his employment is now terminated.
Pros
loved his job pay was decent
Cons
unprofessional
Difficult Environment
Former Banquet Manager (Former Employee) –  OcotilloJanuary 22, 2013
Fear driven management. No job security.

Departments played against each other.

Huge turnover in upper management.

No GM in place.

Inexperienced Wife of Owner running the place. Focus on Food and Beverage, No people skills, no direction except - spend no money, and show me the profit. She has no golf knowledge so Golf runs on it's own with no accountability under a person with much the same nurturing ability as owners wife.

Bad, Bad, Bad, If you have a choice look elsewhere!
Good for a couple years
Corporate Accountant (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJanuary 7, 2013
You get a good amount of experience in property accounting. The company communication is not good and it works it's way heavily into the daily work. Roles and expectations are either not clear or not reasonable. Everytime there is a restructure management speaks about the growth opportunities at the company but in my experience there is little to none. In general most of the time you feel like you are alone on an island left to deal with issues.
Pros
if you like golf you get golf discounts
Cons
company culture
Troon
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 17, 2015
It is a great place to work for. There is always something new on the agenda. The golf course is amazing. The Restaurant offers a variety for those with unique taste buds.
Pros
hours
Cons
no diversity
Positive and a learning experience about the golf industry.
Office Manager/ Property accountant (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 4, 2014
I checked the previous days reports to what was deposited and also looked for deep discounts which I found and reported. It cost me a friendship. I will not give up my integrity for anyone or thing. I submitted forecasts and budgets with the Director of Golf tweaking it a bit. Best part of my job was the ability to hit range balls to let off steam. The worst thing was having to report the people who stole from Troon. I think that's why I was asked to transfer to Round Rock. I am honest to a fault. My co-workers were always nice to me. I learned spreadsheets and inventory control.
Pros
free lunches, paid holidays.when i needed time off, it was always approved.
Cons
the texas open every august or september. quite a challenge.
Not well run by management
Grounds crew (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 28, 2015
typical day starts at 5:30, worked delegated not well no one works
on cutting fairways and rough til after first jobs are done around10:00
am. Then there are golfer on course and there is a lot of waiting
around.
Pros
free lunch free golf
Cons
managment not orginized

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Troon Golf. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7