TROOPER VETERINARY HOSPITAL has an immediate opening for this very unique position.
Are you interested in gaining hands-on experience in the veterinary field?
Do you want to gain experience for a career as a veterinarian or veterinary technician?
This is an excellent opportunity for pre-vet students, animal science and biology majors who want to gain valuable experience in the veterinary field. We are proud to have FIVE of our former live-in assistants currently attending Veterinary Schools!
Two Veterinary Assistants occupy our sunny, second floor, two bedroom, furnished, apartment and equally split responsibility for the evening and weekend care and monitoring of all hospitalized animals, 365 days per year. The apartment is provided RENT AND UTILITY FREE, along with $200 monthly compensation for this part time position.
**Additional paid hours are available working as a vet assistant during office hours Mon-Sat.
Our ideal candidate will have some prior experience with dogs, cats and other small animals, or in the veterinary or animal care field. Knowledge of animal nursing, husbandry, and medical terminology is helpful. Good math skills, excellent animal handling skills and a dedication to patient care are all critical for individuals interested in this position.
You will work closely with our veterinarians and will gain extensive hands on experience. On-duty time will be spent treating or monitoring animals (medicating, administering injections, monitoring IV's, etc.) as well as supervising or assisting animal caretakers. You will work closely with our veterinarians, assisting them with treatments, x-rays or medical and minor surgical procedures as needed on our hospitalized patients.
During your shift you may be working in the hospital treatment area with patients and veterinarians, but at slower times you will just remain in the building, using your time as you please, doing occasional hospital rounds to check on animals. We have found this system makes it easy to have a full time job, attend school or have ample study or activity time.
Each Veterinary Assistant typically provides hospital supervision for about 22 hours per week but is actually performing hands on treatment for only about half of that time. One veterinary assistant is required to sleep here each night. Our assistants typically alternate weekdays and then alternate weekends and holidays.
- Must be able to lift and assist lifting large dogs, sometimes over 50lbs.
- Must be energetic, organized, responsible, sharp and possess a very positive attitude!
- Must be a non-smoker
- Personal pets are not permitted to live in the apartment, no exception. (We have plenty of dogs and cats here that we want you to love and spend time with!)
- MUST live-in during all working days/shifts. Apartment is provided for employee living only.
- We need a minimum 1-year commitment due to the length of your training time.
**To apply for this exciting position please send your resume along with a detailed cover letter explaining:
1. Your anticipated work/school schedule for the rest of the summer and your fall plans.
2. WHY you are interested in this unique veterinary experience.
3. How long you anticipate this live-in position fitting into your career plan. (Example: Plan for Vet school fall 2014, etc.)
***Resume's sent with no cover letter will not be considered.
Visit our website @ TrooperVet.com and join us on Facebook!