True Value Employee Reviews

Sort: Helpful | Rating | Date
An Alright Place
Office Clerk (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 21, 2017
The hardest part of the job is the hours. Typical office workers work during the day. This is a nights only position. Friendly work environment. Plenty to keep one's self busy. No one hovering over you. Self motivated position.
Pros
Willing to work with anyone
Cons
Expensive benefits, lower wages
Eh
Associate (Former Employee) –  Milford, PASeptember 19, 2017
Not too happy with the owners or their viewpoint on their workers.
You are expected to put the job before all else, even family. I would NOT recommend working for these people.
a decent place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brattleboro, VTSeptember 18, 2017
I run register, check in and put away freight, and help customers as needed. the benefit package is a decent package. the worst part of the job is the inconsistent schedule.
Nice easy work, requires hardware knowledge
Floor Hand (Former Employee) –  Meadow Vista, CASeptember 15, 2017
A typicla day of work consisted of a mix of things based purley on the day and the season, say mid summer, things like gardening and soil, rather in the winter it was slower.
Pros
Many breaks, easy to start
Cons
Heavy lifting, long days
long hours, and constantly understaffed
orderfiller (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 12, 2017
True Value is a company that has undergone a lot of changes in the past year and a half. A new superintendent was recently hired and also recently left. He came in and made a lot of changes which made it extremely difficult for a lot of employees. The turn over rate is extremely high, due to the challenging work and extremely long hours.
Pros
weekends off
Cons
extremely long hours, hard labor
Fast paced retail store
Customer Service/Utility Clerk (Former Employee) –  Yorktown, VASeptember 11, 2017
Requires knowledge of multiple departments to effectively help customers. Management is vested in business success and helping employees learn and grow.
Pros
flexible schedules
Cons
entry-level position
great
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Old Greenwich, CTSeptember 11, 2017
hard working non stop not good manager hassles team members and customers not a nice personand he knows that sand accepts his poor behavior...........
The best place on earth!
Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Bedford, PASeptember 11, 2017
The staff and management work so well together. It's a fun relaxed environment great for the young workers! Great part time or full time job for some extra cash.
Okay place to work while in school
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Oconomowoc, WISeptember 9, 2017
No growth opportunities. Not a very fun place to work at, doesn't offer any benefits and they have a reputation of regularly changing your schedule without noctice mostly in between your work days that way you wouldn't even know your required to work.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
No growth, low pay.
dead end job with little to no pension plan
Maintenance technician/ Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORSeptember 8, 2017
did not like the fact that it's a dead end job and that you could only go so far. Also, It was not what I was looking for. Management played games with the employees. There was a lot of HR involvement with things they did not need to be involved with.
Pros
finish work and off work early
Cons
everything else
Fun workplace and knowlegeable
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sun City West, AZSeptember 8, 2017
A typical day at work is I clock in and head straight to my cash register. As people walked in I will great them. I learned a lot of things because that was my first time being in a different state other than Hawaii, so I learned everyday. The workplace was very nice, my customers were age 50 and up, i enjoyed it. The hardest part was when a customer could hear very well so I had to yell a few times. But the most enjoyable part was that it was a great experience and I'm thankful for the opprtunity
Sales Associate
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Wells, MNSeptember 7, 2017
It was great getting to work at True Value, I had the opportunity to assist home owners in their home improvement projects and help find them the best solution for their problems.
Great People, Great Job, Unfortunate Ending.
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Ardmore, PASeptember 5, 2017
Management were great people, was family owned for years, but the store went under. Small staff everything was informal. Scheduling was done in pencil in a ripped up binder. The hardest part of the job was balancing drawers, the high turnover led to less than stellar employees manning the tills and it caused quite the problem. The most enjoyable part of the job was the early closing hours. Everyone mostly kept to themselves, put their head down and worked. When processing orders for holidays we would have to work long hours and it put into perspective how dedicated the staff was.
Pros
Store Credit based on Sales Merit
Cons
Tiny store, disorganized quickly if not monitored.
Fun place to work. Laid back and very flexible
SALES CLERK (Former Employee) –  Columbus, WIAugust 29, 2017
Absolutely loved working here! Everyone is so kind and you really build a bond with your co-workers! I learned so much for working here. Not only business but how to deal with different kinds of people.
Fun Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Ledge, MIAugust 29, 2017
Only worked a few days a week. The owner has hot nephews!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahaha it was a fun and low key place that was rarely busy which was nice for me to do school work! hahaha
Lack of outside skills
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Le Roy, ILAugust 28, 2017
Family owned and opperated nothing super special about this place except that it does pretty much have every little thing a small town person could need
Pros
Laid back environment
Cons
Pay hours shifts promotions lack of family support
Many hours, average pay, decent benifits, low job security
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Harvard, ILAugust 24, 2017
most notable is a very high turn over of employees. the company stresses high performance at a high speed, often adds duties to your job without adding additional time to complete.
Decent
Merchandise Handler (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, GAAugust 20, 2017
Decent place to work for but when they cut hours they really cut hours, I'm talking less than 30hrs. It does have it's busy season that last maybe 4 to 5 months you get plenty of hrs and OT during that time. Management could be a little better.
Pros
Good hrs during busy season. Free lunches sometimes
Cons
No hours during slow season, Management could be better. They definitely have their favorites when it comes to employees
It's a great place to work especially if you like working with your hands building small appliances and tools
Sales (Current Employee) –  CotatiAugust 17, 2017
I have really enjoyed working here at true value. I just feel that my talents have put grown working at a hardware store. And would like to do something that's challenging and more creative
Pros
Great discounts
Cons
Advancement opportunities
Productive, challenging
Manager (Former Employee) –  King City, CAAugust 11, 2017
Work is primarily focused on customer service and sales. Stocking shelves, managing inventory and other duties were also focused on serving the customer.

Employees must enjoy working with the public, must use good judgement and much diplomacy.

We had many long term regular customers that we knew by name, and were delightful to see almost every day.

Casual attire - jeans and black work shirt - no expensive clothes to buy!
Pros
Occasional free lunches, tickets to events

Ask a question about working or interviewing at True Value. Our community is ready to answer.