Trulia

Trulia Employee Reviews

Sales mill - beware!
sales person (Former Employee) –  centennial, coloardoApril 24, 2013
I am writing this review so that other sales people are not sucked into believing that this is a professional company. I arrived for my interview in a suit, like several other sales people that were interviewing that day. I had been told by the HR recruiter that this was a professional position. The sales people were in one huge room made of cubicles. The dress was considerably less than professional. Sneakers and blue jeans were the standard fare except for the managers.

While waiting for the sales manager to interview me, a one-on-one meeting was taking place at the table next to me. I do not believe in open conversations between a superior and subordinate. I believe that any constructive criticism should take place in a private meeting room. As I looked around I saw none. Their corporate culture was very clearly on display. There was a ping pong table in the break room/kitchen area, and they conduct employee evaluations as well as interviews in the same area. I get that this is more of a west coast style of culture, however its less than professional. Boxes of cereal were strewn across a messy table, and family size soda boxes were below. This was all free to access as far as I could tell.

During my time waiting for my interview, I overheard part of the one-on-one conversation. It was about problem resolution and giving refunds to the customer.

I would never want to be part of an organization that operates like they do. It is a high pressure sales tactic, and then when customers are dissatisfied with what they've bought, they fight the refund. All of this adds up to a
  more... less than professional sales environment. Do not be fooled. I would expect that there are indeed several sales people making the income claimed. If you like a loud environment, with 60 other sales people all talking on the phone, and the ability to wear casual clothes to work, then this might be the right fit for you. But someone needs to make sales people aware that this company is not what they claim in their ads.

Another joke was that I was told that the sales manager would want me to sell him his watch, and then ask for the job.
Pros
laid back, free food
Cons
sales mill, fight the refund, high pressure sales tactics
“Employee centric, fun environment, passionate people, successful trajectory.”
Sr. Director of People (Current Employee) –  San FranciscoMarch 6, 2012
Pros:
The People - Every employee ("Trulian") I know is super helpful, collaborative, friendly, and sharp! The passion people share for the company & industry is impressive and I haven't personally experienced this before. The company tends to celebrate everything! (think social crowd) which makes for a fun environment.
The workspace - Great location (near downtown SF), the office itself is open, light, there are kitchens in each area/department (stocked with drinks & snacks), and "the penthouse" (aka, top floor space) is reserved for recreational activities like Ping pong, videogames, happy hours, meet ups, etc.
The work - The company is making a big difference, applying cutting edge technologies to make residential real estate search more personalized, fun, simple, and interesting. Trulia's mobile products are impressive, and real estate agents seem to truly benefit from Trulia's ad products (selling well)

Cons:
Cultural divides: The speed in which the company has built its Inside Sales teams started to create a separate culture, one that worked different hours, had a different type of job (sales vs. development), and most people on these teams were pretty new to the company and didn't get entirely acclimated with the dev teams. Tons of work has been put in to this lately and we're already starting to see an impact.
Pros
perks - on site yoga, meditation, massage, stocked kitchens, games/toys, regular parties, commuter benefits, 401k match, parental leaves
Call Center With High Turnover
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COOctober 2, 2014
Great benefits, but low, hourly compensation. Commission structure changes all the time and quotas go up every month. Looks good on the surface until you realize that all they care about is high dials and making more money for the company. You don't get paid on anything you sell until you hit 65% and the quotas keep going up...a lot of people don't make a commission check at the end of the month, which makes for a mixed bag of negativity and pseudo-positivity at the beginning of the next month within your team.
Pros
free food, great coworkers, great benefits
Cons
low pay, you can get screwed over right at the end of the month if someone cancels due to not getting leads.
Amazing Benefits- Call Center Environment
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Centennial, COMarch 11, 2015
Trulia provides the best benefits that I think that I will ever have. Most of the people who work there are friendly, and they offer a huge selection of food that means you can skip the drive through for breakfast and save money by staying in for lunch.

The tough part is that the management team acts more like a "big brother" than a leader. Promotions are also based on popularity instead actual skill sets.

If you are looking for a good starter job Trulia is the place to be, but if you are looking for a career then you should look in a different direction.
Great Company
Senior Manager, Account Sales (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 7, 2015
Great company, great people, and even more so a great culture! There are a lot of changes going on that will be extremely beneficial for the company and the consumers.

When accepting a position with this organization, take the benefits into consideration, they are amazing!

If you are a top performer, you can be compensated extremely well.
Pros
culture, teamwork environment, outstanding people, benefits are unbelievable (in a good way)
Cons
if you aren't used to it, change. it is the only thing constant in this place. it wasn't a con for me, but it can be for those that are used to a linear sales organization
Upbeat environment and amazing co-workers!
Franchise Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAApril 8, 2015
Not only did I work side by side with great people, but the clients that I communicated with on a daily basis were always different, therefore, no two days were alike. Free food and beverage was a plus for sure. Not only was there a ping pong table but Also foosball and pop a shot basketball.
Pros
close to home, flexible hours, competitive compensation.
Cons
Can't think of any. Trulia was a fabulous company to work for.
This position did not suit most of my interests
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 25, 2012
I was able to work with many computer programs that I was never exposed to before which is helpful for future job oppurtunities. My management was always available to ask questions and get advise from, as well as my associates. The hardest part of the job would have been the learning curve for me. I was never in a sales position before and was unaware of what exactly was expected from me and this ended up being the reason that I decided to leave the company.
Great sales environment and people!
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, CoAugust 30, 2014
If you love inside sales Trulia is amazing. Your managers will mentor and work with you. You can set your own sales schedule ( breaks, lunches, etc). Competitive teams, and coworkers who work together to help everyone meet their monthly and weekly goals.
Pros
food packed cafeteria, great environment, happy hours, great benefits, workplace that gives back to the community
Cons
commission is very good, but limited. rougher work environment for females. base pay is a little low.
Fun environment with great benefits
Account Executive (Current Employee) –  Denver, CoDecember 15, 2014
Typical Day: Delivered value rich, consultative sales pitches to real estate agents through outbound cold/warm phone calls. Met daily requirement of 100 calls a day outbound warm/cold calls to Real Estate agents in my pipeline with an estimated 2 hours of talk time. Develop programs to support Real Estate agents’ sales and drive customer acquisition and retention through demand generation and nurturing campaigns through a sales dashboard
Pros
fully stocked kitchen, great benefits
Cons
high pressure sales
Competitive, fast-paced workplace with a decidedly Silicon Valley-esque culture
Content Specialist, Trulia Pro Blog (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAFebruary 19, 2015
A wonderful company to work for, despite sometimes being overly competitive and tough. There are free snacks and breakfast foods, every type of beverage you could want, ping pong tables in the lunch room, wonderful health and other benefits, and competitive pay.
Pros
free breakfast, beverages and snacks, great pay and benefits, unlimited time off
Cons
fast-paced and competitive work environment
Great benefits, revolving door, Not for me
Account Sales (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CoJune 2, 2015
Great product for consumer but not for client. Revolving door. Work with angry real estate agents that were sold a product to just get them in the door. Most were not set up with correct expectations. I enjoyed working with accounts to turn them around to purchase more. I felt more like a sounding board then an account sales rep. Not for me.
Pros
Free food, Great benefits
Cons
Angry Clients / Merger
Great start-up culture and laid-back environment
Business Services (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2012
This is a great company to work for. The company is focused on treating their employees right, and have the best benefits of any company I have worked for. The job itself can be tough at time, as it is a very metric/quota based company. Turn-over is relatively high based on the stress of the job, but it is a great culture and environment.
Pros
great benefits and laid back culture.
Cons
tough job
Great place to work and great people to work with.
Customer Care Specialist (Current Employee) –  Bellevue, WAMay 20, 2015
Great Management to work for. Took real good care of their employees. Fun company learned a lot about the product and industry. Foosball / ping pong table / hot shot hoop. Free food/snacks available daily with coffee machine. Great afterwork activities.
Pros
Management, Benefits, Flexible Schedule
Cons
Little advancement oppurtunity
Trulia was a fun,dynamic place to work.
Senior Account Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COApril 16, 2015
Started the day with an overview of the past day and what need to be done that day and week. Work hard , play hard. The company got bought out by Zillow and they laid off 350 people including me or I would still be working there.
Exciting place
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Centennial, CODecember 15, 2014
They try to make the job as fun as possible but at the end of the day it your basic cold calling position. Everyone was very nice but I simply wasn't very good at the position. The office location is terrible as well.
Pros
great culture and atmosphere
Cons
commute and quick exit if not performing
Trulia.com in Denver
Marketing Advisor/Account Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver COMarch 19, 2015
Trulia.com was a great place to work with a fully stocked kitchen and state of the art facility. My coworkers were very cordial and easy to work with. I worked from 730 - 4pm, cold calling real estate agents, selling ad space on the nationwide search engine.
One of the best places to work for in the Bay
Account Executive / Inside Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 20, 2013
7:30-4pm
Great inside sales training
Only thing consistent is CHANGE
Age group majority ranges 23-35
Hardest part is making 100 dials a day
Most enjoyable is the workplace
Pros
great workplace with lots of energy
Cons
low base
Exciting startup company
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COJanuary 23, 2014
Working here was all about fun. There was a ping pong table and stocked food for snacks. At one point the commission structure withheld a lot of money from their employees. I have heard that after I left it changed.
Great Atmosphere
Inside Sales Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 13, 2015
This place had amazing workplace culture. It was probably my favorite position in regards to atmosphere and people that work there. The job itself was a sales job so I would of like more job security but otherwise it was a great company to work for.
Awesome
Internal Contract Recruiter (Former Employee) –  DenverMarch 21, 2014
Really enjoyed my time there, great work culture. You don't always get to be in a great company culture. Although I was only there on contract I felt like part of the team. Had great co-workers and the office is a fun, energetic place to work.