Tube City IMS Employee Reviews in United States

Terrible
Burner (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAApril 23, 2016
I worked for this company for 3 years. Constantly laid off Management was run by sub human scum. You work with materials that cause cancer. You're forced into a union that is a joke. Save your health and time and bypass this company.
Review of Tube City
Manager - Internal Audit (Current Employee) –  Glassport, PAFebruary 9, 2016
This company has an excellent and talented management team that allows all to grow. Working in the Internal Audit Department, one finds that no two days are ever alike.
job
PLANT OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 16, 2015
its a job and will def pays the bills. co-workers are great people to work with and easy to get along with also. lots of work
Tiring
Plant Operator (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALDecember 13, 2015
Overall my experience at Tube City wasnt the best. Nothing was ever constant and the management had no idea how to operate a plant.
Not a company that sees its true value in its employees/ lower management
Site Safety Manager / Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Auburn, NYOctober 26, 2015
As far as overall corporate structure. I have never been a part of a company who's upper corporate management is so completely disconnected from its sites throughout. It is a very frustrating company to work for because the overall training one receives even as an incoming manager is poor and sets them up to fail. You are also given no sick or personal time in regards to family emergencies or personal issues. I would not join this company again if I was to do it over again. The only positive I have gained from this, is the knowledge and experience in managing a team of employees in a higher risk environment as it pertains to safety.
Pros
Ability to improve the working and safety quality for the employees I manage
Cons
Poor employer when it comes to family concerns. To fast to let go of good operators.
this is a very hard working inviornment and unclean
Heavey Equipment Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 21, 2015
start work at 7:00 am . I take look at all of the equipment to see what is broke from the day beforand start the repair prosess to make the equipment work for the day .
horrible management
laborer (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHApril 4, 2015
Horrible management. It is good pay and benefits. Upper management is horrible. I'm currently looking for another job.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
management
nice group of co-workers
MANAGER TEAM MEMBER (Former Employee) –  West Mifflin, PAMarch 15, 2015
For the most part, a typical day of work was enjoyable. I got along well with our union and employees and most of the management.
The hardest part of the job was never knowing when you were going to get the visit from the operations manager to lay you off. No job security there anymore.
Pros
good salary and benefits
Cons
poor upper management
No family time
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALMarch 5, 2015
A lot of hours just no family time. This company does not promote from within instead they move workers from home office to site and promote them. Severe micro management no designated time for lunch or break was made to eat on the move. Double standard for safety when it concerns workers wearing PPE and management
Pros
good insurance
Cons
no time aloted for lunch had to eat when we could
Water Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALJanuary 6, 2015
Wonderful place to work, but they do not offer any advancement in job.
Pros
paid lunch
Cons
managment
production
Front End Loader (Current Employee) –  Tuscaloosa, ALDecember 9, 2014
I enjoy work for this company and I like what I do based on my job description. It is very high maintenance and very dangerous, so when you come to work, come focus and ready to work.
Pros
sponsoring others.
Cons
short breaks and health care.
It was a nice place to work.
Heavy Equipment operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Smith, ARNovember 21, 2014
I wrote a previous review on this company
I will not right another one.
You are EXPENDABLE!!!
Former Manager / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calvert, ALAugust 23, 2014
Upper management will hold you accountable for bad decisions made by themselves. You're ability to be promoted is based on who you know in the company and not your performance or experience. When decisions made by upper management turn sour multiple heads will roll. This place goes thru supervision like none I've seen.
If your a yes man.....you will go far.
GOOD LUCK!
Pros
decent benefits
Cons
multiple
Horrible company
Payroll (Former Employee) –  Gary, INAugust 19, 2014
Worst company to work for when they can't find something to let you go on the manufacture false information. They only want girls who work the corner in Gary if you turn 62 they don't have a problem to get rid of you. The working conditions are horrible the people are low class including the vp, office manager and general manager they lie and try to ruin you life by saying you stole someone id. Not true I have two ss numbers given to me by SS adminstration. They send US Steel to do their dirty work.
Hand Scarfer/Tracker/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  River Rouge, MIApril 6, 2014
The pay was good, the swing shift is a bit difficult to adjust to at times.
Pros
enjoyable co-workers
Cons
swing shift
Ran worse than the government
supervisory (Current Employee) –  Gary, InApril 3, 2014
A typical day at Tube City IMS Gary starts with middle management being yelled at, threatened (with bullets by the VP), and degraded, for a good hour, for the first hour of the day. The remaining 7 hours involves drastic miscommunication due to upper management dropping the ball, and passing the buck onto middle management; who are doing as directed. This in turn leads to foreman being written up, and eventually fired in all departments. The company has an extremely high turn over rate. In my near two years here, I have seen more company foreman and parts room workers leave or get fired more than I have seen at any other company. The upper management pits union workers against company workers, and constantly drains fiscal resources.

The gossip spread on the work floor is ridiculous, but mainly accurate due to union facilitators being placed in company management positions. There's gross under training, you are set to fail, and the management does not recognize the hard work put in by any level of employee from superintendents, procurement people, to the lowest paid workers like the parts room workers.

Ultimately, this is a company where fiscal irresponsibility and a lot of waste lead to negative outcomes. Injuries, and the people injured are degraded and called derogatory terms by upper management. They cut trade positions and then create management positions with union facilitators, to which craft workers in the union object to, only to be shut down. Now reading this, you may think that I am painting a negative picture, but, this is the reality of this place.

In corporate
  more... and bureaucratic settings, such as this, employee morale on union or company side is disregarded. They don't pay well, they are disrespectful, and will work you like a dog while letting you know that you are 100% expendable. Your career will not progress here, this is simply a job to pay the bills. They hire new recruits outside of the company, and explain why you're not qualified to advance, while they hire a clueless individual (no disrespect to the people being hired) that have NO idea how industrial settings run.

In short.. if you need a job until you can find something better, take it.. if you want a career, look else where.
Pros
health insurance, and 401k
Cons
low morale, constant degradation, low wages, no advancement
You have to watch your back to keep your job
Management (Former Employee) –  OhioMarch 26, 2014
There is a major lack of communication and constant blame for absolutely no reason at all. My time with this company was constantly observing workers getting thrown away for no fault of their own. When someone forgets to perform a task, the blame gets pointed down to the next person. It is a very cut throat place where mannerism and morals are slim to none. I was told that my chair can be easily replaced by anyone else upon hire. I did everything I was asked of and still got threatened for no reason. All they care about is their money, not you.
benefits
Cons
long hours, tense work environment
Proactive compliance and audit manager focused on controls
Corporate Compliance Officer (Current Employee) –  Glassport, PAJanuary 31, 2014
I have prepared a corporate compliance program for SOX compliance for a company that newly listed with the NYSE inclusive of policies and procedures, control risk assessment, and management training.

I have received excellent reviews over the past 3 annual review cycles.
Working at Tube City IMS
AR Cash Applications (Former Employee) –  Glassport PAJanuary 18, 2014
I had a wonderful experience while working for Tube City. The people were fun and friendly, the management was better than I had ever experienced before.
poor management
operator (Current Employee) –  trinidadNovember 6, 2013
Long 12hrs shifts too much rules everyday go by is another rule we are only human not machine alot of dust and dangerous work management dont like to listen to workers and also maintenance of equipment is poor
benefits
Cons
false promise bad management