TUCSON ELECTRIC POWER Employee Reviews

Great place to get your feet wet.
Desktop Depolyment Agent (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 14, 2016
Tucson Electric Power was a great job to start out at. They have a very professional team and care about the development of their employees. While I worked there I learned a lot about corporate structure and culture. My primary function there was desktop deployments. I would image new machines and install extra software depending on the need. I also installed encryption on all the laptops as well. I enjoyed this job immensely and had a lot of fun doing it. The hardest part of this job was the workload would sometimes too much since I was the only desktop deployment agent and I was scheduled only 30 hours a week.
Pros
Company car, supportive team, Great managment team
Cons
Mostly contract work have to pay your own benifits.
to much management, not enough workers
Journeyman lineman and cableman (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 29, 2016
TUCSON ELECTRIC POWER is a decent place to work as long as you are part of the good old boys club. Line department is like being in high school, it has it's clicks and a majority of the people want to sit a talk trash about the guys who work. At tep they have a position called a team lead, they claim to be your union brothers but are just a lower form of management. There is no representation from the union, they let management walk all over the work force.
Pros
good equipment to use
Cons
drama and no respect between management and work force
TEP is one of the best paying companies in Tucson, but there's a catch
Systems Administrator (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 11, 2016
There is a lot of politics and internal grudges between departments based on situations that occurred over a decade ago. In many instances, the wrong people are hired for the job, merely because they knew someone in management. This seems to be more rampant in the transmission and distribution leg of the company. Within IS, the culture is changing, but it is changing slowly.

Also, the company moves very slow when it comes to making decisions about anything. To me, it's due to the amount of people in management as opposed to the staff that actually perform the day-to-day work. It feels like management has meetings about scheduling meetings.
Pros
Excellent pay, great benefits, job security
Cons
Too many politics, slow moving when it comes to making decisions, too many people in management and not enough people to do the actual day to day work.
Corporate Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 20, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grew and developed. The office started to get over worked and things were taken away which were enjoyed by all; like ipods, breaks, etc.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Typical Corporate Vibe
Very interesting work with a lot of travel time up rocky mountain roads.
Electronic Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 5, 2015
This job is very physical and does require tower climbing which I found very exciting--great views! If you're tired of working behind a desk, then this is a great way to change your "office view"
There is a ton of technologies to learn--microwave RF and fiber optics to name just a few.
A solid place to work, everyone is tuned into meeting the needs of customers as well as all regulatory requirements and doing their best daily
Asset Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 13, 2013
Hard working people in most positions. This review is supposed to be more encompassing. The company is good place to work if you are lucky to be a regular TEP FTE, but as a contractor you are left out of meetings and your input is limited.
Pros
people need power and tep will not be going away, tep participates in many community events, high visibility for ocal power company, tep working with new technologies, educating the communityon technologies, tep tries to give employees a positive work environment
Cons
long time employees don't exude enthusiasm, the daily atmosphere is drab, leadership is not very dynamic, expectations of goals not detailed
Very productive busy workplace, celebrates accomplishments.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 30, 2013
A typical day would be handling escalated calls, coaching supervisors and service representatives, sometimes intervening in union issues.

Ensuring the we were providing the best phone coverage for live answer and virtual hold.

Hardest part of the job is releasing staff. The other challenge is how to maintain high morale and make the jobs in the call center fun and reinforcing the value the staff adds to the company.

I learned electric utilities have so much in common yet their processes even those with the Corporation Commission varied enormously.

I learned how to work with union issues versus non union issues.
Pros
Celebrations, themed decorations/games.
Cons
The morale issues as customers don't call a utility to thank them for service.
Great, fun place to work
Financial Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 28, 2013
• Summer internship performing various tasks in the Financial Accounting department
• Ran daily financial reports using the Oracle accounting system
• Prepared month-end and quarter-end sales reports for TEP and UniSource Energy
• Checked the work on closing journal entries associated with month/quarter-end reports
• Helped with preparing the 10-K and 10-Q
Great People, Management Lacking
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Springerville, AZJanuary 27, 2015
Environment is very lax and too much so. There is no real accountability and nobody has a clue what is going on. The people working there are great and willing to help. Management need to make accountability a priority and have a better structure for work taking place.
Pros
People, low stress
Cons
No structure
My experience at TEP has been rewarding in the areas of personal growth showing inexperienced engineers how to design substations.
Senior Contract Lead Substation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 11, 2015
Train new electric utility substation design engineers by using real projects. Spend the day training new engineers, reviewing quality of work and developing lesson plans.

I've learned how to work in a class room environment in transferring knowledge in protection and design.

TEP does a great job in developing well rounded teams of people who work well with each other.

The most difficult part of the job is finding ways to keep the engineers motivated after repeating similar projects. They aways want to move onto something new. Maintaining the challenge takes some effort when the individual becomes bored and wants to move on to something new.

The most enjoyable is when you teach someone how to create something new and seeing the excitement in there eyes.
Pros
Parting new information to
Cons
Demands my time when I feel I'm needed to do other tasks.
A poor employer for open-minded employees
engineer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 26, 2015
Pros

TEP has nice headquarters facilities, especially by Tucson standards. HQ is downtown, very conveniently located to many places to have lunch. Plus they offer free indoor parking to employees.

Cons

While TEP could be a good place to work, I cannot attest to that. The group I work in has corrupt management, and that trumps anything "good" about working there. We call it "The Old Boys Club" because the Club seems well-established with close ties.

Management can be brutal if you question their motives or reasoning - they will come down on you FAST and they will come down on you HARD! Don't ever question why you are required to use certain vendors or contractors - even when these people may charge 2 or 3 times the going rates - just smile and approve the invoice, and everything will be fine.

My job was not at all challenging. While my type of work usually requires independent and critical thought and problem-solving abilities, I find none of that is necessary at TEP. It's more task-related - just do what you're told and shut up, and everything will be fine.

To be successful at TEP, you've really got to dumb-down - otherwise you're viewed as a threat. Overall a terrible place to work. I would not recommend TEP to anyone.
OUtstanding Company
Risk Analyst - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 17, 2014
I handle day to day claims so I have a difficult message to deliver at times. I work within rules and regulations that are set forth the ACC.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Inability to advance
Intern - Budget Planning and Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 29, 2014
TEP is an amazing place to work. I had a wonderful team and learned a lot.
A well paying job with good benefits, not necessarily a physically challenging job but one with long hours and some unjustified pressure.
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 7, 2014
There was always some levity, constant joking around with some mean humor thrown in before we got in our trucks and started our daily routes. It was fun, good for morale and broke up the drudgery.

Depending on the work load and which part of town, or the surrounding area we serviced. It was commonplace to make service stops at 30 to a 100 addresses a day. Most of the time, unless it was for credit reasons, the businesses, the houses and the apartments were vacant. It was either the customer had moved out or not moved in. There was hardly any human contact, unless we had to collect delinquent payments or disconnect a customer that had not made a timely payment. If there was human interaction it was negative or confrontational.

There was a lot overtime and despite the compensation for working it. It became exhausting. The hardest part is the anxiousness that comes not knowing when your shift will be over. I spent many late nights and early mornings doing service orders.

The best part of the job was the money I made. It was adequate enough to buy a house, several cars, furniture, clothes and the ability to take extensive vacations to different parts of the country and three excursions to Europe. It contributed to my self esteem and sense of accomplishment.
Pros
Great company functions as well as the Union activities, making some lifelong friends and lovers at times
Cons
Vindictive, power mongering supervisors who justify their position, by bullying and creating wasteful and asinine projects and policies that do more harm than good.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at TUCSON ELECTRIC POWER. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8