TUCSON ELECTRIC POWER Employee Reviews

Corporate Environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZNovember 20, 2015
Fun workplace with supportive management. Not all about the numbers but how you personally grew and developed. The office started to get over worked and things were taken away which were enjoyed by all; like ipods, breaks, etc.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Typical Corporate Vibe
Very interesting work with a lot of travel time up rocky mountain roads.
Electronic Communications Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 5, 2015
This job is very physical and does require tower climbing which I found very exciting--great views! If you're tired of working behind a desk, then this is a great way to change your "office view"
There is a ton of technologies to learn--microwave RF and fiber optics to name just a few.
My experience at TEP has been rewarding in the areas of personal growth showing inexperienced engineers how to design substations.
Senior Contract Lead Substation Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 11, 2015
Train new electric utility substation design engineers by using real projects. Spend the day training new engineers, reviewing quality of work and developing lesson plans.

I've learned how to work in a class room environment in transferring knowledge in protection and design.

TEP does a great job in developing well rounded teams of people who work well with each other.

The most difficult part of the job is finding ways to keep the engineers motivated after repeating similar projects. They aways want to move onto something new. Maintaining the challenge takes some effort when the individual becomes bored and wants to move on to something new.

The most enjoyable is when you teach someone how to create something new and seeing the excitement in there eyes.
Pros
Parting new information to
Cons
Demands my time when I feel I'm needed to do other tasks.
Great People, Management Lacking
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Springerville, AZJanuary 27, 2015
Environment is very lax and too much so. There is no real accountability and nobody has a clue what is going on. The people working there are great and willing to help. Management need to make accountability a priority and have a better structure for work taking place.
Pros
people, low stress
Cons
no structure
Intern - Budget Planning and Analysis Intern (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 29, 2014
TEP is an amazing place to work. I had a wonderful team and learned a lot.
OUtstanding Company
Risk Analyst - Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 17, 2014
I handle day to day claims so I have a difficult message to deliver at times. I work within rules and regulations that are set forth the ACC.
Pros
pay
Cons
inability to advance
A well paying job with good benefits, not necessarily a physically challenging job but one with long hours and some unjustified pressure.
Customer Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJanuary 7, 2014
There was always some levity, constant joking around with some mean humor thrown in before we got in our trucks and started our daily routes. It was fun, good for morale and broke up the drudgery.

Depending on the work load and which part of town, or the surrounding area we serviced. It was commonplace to make service stops at 30 to a 100 addresses a day. Most of the time, unless it was for credit reasons, the businesses, the houses and the apartments were vacant. It was either the customer had moved out or not moved in. There was hardly any human contact, unless we had to collect delinquent payments or disconnect a customer that had not made a timely payment. If there was human interaction it was negative or confrontational.

There was a lot overtime and despite the compensation for working it. It became exhausting. The hardest part is the anxiousness that comes not knowing when your shift will be over. I spent many late nights and early mornings doing service orders.

The best part of the job was the money I made. It was adequate enough to buy a house, several cars, furniture, clothes and the ability to take extensive vacations to different parts of the country and three excursions to Europe. It contributed to my self esteem and sense of accomplishment.
Pros
great company functions as well as the union activities, making some lifelong friends and lovers at times
Cons
vindictive, power mongering supervisors who justify their position, by bullying and creating wasteful and asinine projects and policies that do more harm than good.
Great, fun place to work
Financial Accounting Intern (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 28, 2013
• Summer internship performing various tasks in the Financial Accounting department
• Ran daily financial reports using the Oracle accounting system
• Prepared month-end and quarter-end sales reports for TEP and UniSource Energy
• Checked the work on closing journal entries associated with month/quarter-end reports
• Helped with preparing the 10-K and 10-Q
Very productive busy workplace, celebrates accomplishments.
Customer Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZJuly 30, 2013
A typical day would be handling escalated calls, coaching supervisors and service representatives, sometimes intervening in union issues.

Ensuring the we were providing the best phone coverage for live answer and virtual hold.

Hardest part of the job is releasing staff. The other challenge is how to maintain high morale and make the jobs in the call center fun and reinforcing the value the staff adds to the company.

I learned electric utilities have so much in common yet their processes even those with the Corporation Commission varied enormously.

I learned how to work with union issues versus non union issues.
Pros
celebrations, themed decorations/games.
Cons
the morale issues as customers don't call a utility to thank them for service.
A solid place to work, everyone is tuned into meeting the needs of customers as well as all regulatory requirements and doing their best daily
Asset Management Assistant (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 13, 2013
Hard working people in most positions. This review is supposed to be more encompassing. The company is good place to work if you are lucky to be a regular TEP FTE, but as a contractor you are left out of meetings and your input is limited.
Pros
people need power and tep will not be going away, tep participates in many community events, high visibility for ocal power company, tep working with new technologies, educating the communityon technologies, tep tries to give employees a positive work environment
Cons
long time employees don't exude enthusiasm, the daily atmosphere is drab, leadership is not very dynamic, expectations of goals not detailed